Start by marking “The Minor Third (The Magic Misfits, #3)” as Want to Read:
The Minor Third (The Magic Misfits, #3)

The Minor Third

(The Magic Misfits #3)

The third magical book in the #1 New York Times bestselling Magic Misfits series from acclaimed and wildly popular celebrity Neil Patrick Harris!
Theo Stein-Meyer loves being part of the Magic Misfits. Armed with his trusty violin bow, he completes the team with his levitation skills, unflappable calm, and proper manners. But when a girl named Emily begins to spend time
Published September 10th 2019 by Little, Brown Books for Young Readers

Start your review of The Minor Third (The Magic Misfits, #3)
TraceyL
Sep 13, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, young-adult
This is my favorite of the series so far. Very cute story with creepy ventriloquist dummies. Theo, one of the members of the Magic Misfits, gets his first crush. The group works together to solve a mystery, while also learning that friendships can take work to maintain, and they are going to have disagreements from time to time. Some jealousy also arises between Theo, whose family discourages him from learning magic, and the other group members who have families that support their hobby.

There's
PandaPerson
Jan 06, 2020 rated it liked it
It was kind of confusing and wasn't as interesting as the other books in the series.
Jason
Jan 15, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I adore this series. I love the diversity in the cast of characters and I love that each book focuses on a specific member of the Misfits, yet doesn't lose the thread of the over-arching story line. Great fun and a great read!
C.P. Cabaniss
Oct 21, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: middle-grade, audio
Another fun read in the Magic Misfits series. It wasn't fantastic, but it was enjoyable. I like the whimsical style and the acknowledgement that magic can be found anywhere, made by anyone. You just have to be looking for it.

I'm honestly not sure where this story is going. I think there is only one more book (which will focus on Ridley?) and I'm not sure how it can wrap all of this up. It seems like the mystery is only getting bigger.

The twins are my favorite part. They make me laugh every
CR
Jan 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book from the first pages, it picked up where the last book left off. This one the kids find a dummy thats alive, which really creeped me out!! It made it even creepier because you never actually see the dummy move. He just disappears and reappears all of a sudden. The pacing was really good I loved the twists and turns and the mystery about the mummy. I can not wait for book four!!!

Go Into This One Knowing: More Codes and Tricks!
Katie
Dec 28, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Probably my favorite out of the three. Still super fun but now there is more conflict and action. Really excited for the next book!
Thomas O'Brien
Oct 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
Another Wonderful book full of magical adventure from the amazing Neil Patrick Harris.
An adventure full of twists and turns, and intrigue too.
Like a good magic act there was some mis-direction, as well as some interesting reveals. And as always we learn a lot more about one of our misfits, Theo, and as always it was a pleasure to delve back into this world. I cannot wait for the next one so I can adventure again.
(The magic tricks are fun to learn too, and work)
Terry
Dec 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
What another excellent entry into this series! Each book has really focused on a different character, while still including the whole group. My kids and I were so excited when the book ended saying there would be a fourth book. I highly recommend this series for adults and kids alike. Great adventure and mystery.
Dreximgirl
Oct 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this volume but the ending frustrated me a little. There were some nice themes throughout but I felt a large part of it wasn't explored as much as it should have been and wasn't really resolved. But I still love the characters and Neil Patrick Harris has a great way of telling a story.
Alexis
Feb 28, 2020 added it
I absolutely love this series, I sadly have not read the second book, but I was still able to be able to understand what was going on. This is a really good book showing more of Theo's backstory, and it really is an amazing book. Though there was one thing I never realized in the first book, Mr.Vernon was gay. It really warmed my heart to find another author who was a supporter.
Rebecca
Oct 18, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: audio-books
This was another fun magical story, though I did not enjoy it as much as the previous two. I think there was much less magic in this story, more focus on the drama. However, the reason I love this series is because of the way magic is used so often and pretty seemlessly. This book was full of mystery and drama and the cliffhanger was great! I loved focusing on Theo and seeing more of his family. I'm hoping for more magic in the next one!
Scott
Mar 19, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Another well-told coming-of-age story that is as charming as it is frighteningly timely.
Looking forward to reading the next installment!
Izza
Dec 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: own, middlegrade, 2019
3.75 stars |
Erin
Feb 20, 2020 rated it really liked it
My fav of the series so far. Also just noticed this was published on my birthday, so Im considering it a personalized gift from NPH himself. ...more
Christine
Feb 22, 2020 rated it really liked it
The series continues to be quite adorable. NPH is maturing the stories a bit but not so much to alienate his readership.
Janelle A.
Sep 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
so very amazing. still havent read the 2nd book yet. -_-
Estee
Mar 01, 2020 rated it really liked it
I listened to this great book
Vicki (The Wolf's Den)
Definitely not what I was expecting. I mean, you'd think lighthearted kids books about performing magic wouldn't be so grim and foreboding, but this one takes that minor key thing seriously.

Things are getting serious now, and everything about the book reflects that: Theo's plagued by nightmares right out of the gate, tensions are high among the Misfits, and even the narrator forgets his own rules concerning certain unluckly chapters! We finally get a bit more backstory concerning the Emerald
Vicki
I really wish I had this series when I was a kid. Now I do my best to see to it that all my friends who have kids old enough to enjoy these stories either read it to their kids or try to get their kids to read it themselves. NPH, you have no right to be this talented, how do you even exist?

Another great installment, just time featuring my boy Theo, who I absolutely adore. I think hes the one of the Misfits I relate to the most? Always feeling like you need to be perfect not only by your familys
Stacey Adams
Jan 05, 2020 rated it liked it
I must say I didn't like this one as much as the last two Magic Misfit books but it was still good. It stars Theo Stein-Meyer, the violin player and levitator of the group. He has his first crush, falling for Emily who's father owns the music store in Mineral Wells. She becomes a close friend but the other misfits don't trust her completely. The magic misfits practice for an upcoming town talent show hoping to win the prize money but Theo is getting slack from his family about magic. They think ...more
Katie Kaste
Nov 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is the third installment in the "Magic Misfits" series. Things seem to be going well for the Misfits. They are preparing for the Mineral Wells Talent Show. Then Mr. Vernon is pulled away on Emerald Circle business and a mesmerist enters town. Calagan is behind some dolls which are now around town with a listening device inside. Theo is having a hard time trying to make tough choices. Does he continue with the Misfits or work with his family and music. Theo also meets a new friend and some ...more
Pam
Sep 21, 2019 rated it it was ok
The third book in the series focuses on Theo' viewpoint. He struggles with balancing music and magic as he feels pressure from his family and from his friends. Readers learn more about all of the Magic Misfits and some of their families. Two new characters are introduced - the local music shop owner, Mick, and his daughter Emily. Tensions among the friends are ratcheted up by others who want to split up the group. Interesting red herring plot line as well.
The ending is darker than the other two
Steve
Dec 22, 2019 rated it liked it
This series is one I will stop whatever else I am reading to read immediately. The first book was so good, and each of the subsequent books continue to flesh out the central Magic Misfit characters and their relationship as a band of friends. The encompassing story is really secondary and often a bit undeveloped and less than intriguing. This is especially the case with this third outing where the main plot presents misdirections, spends time in apparently meaningless subplots, and introduces ...more
ruby.
Oct 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
Ashley
Dec 31, 2019 added it
This book was more creepy than the previous two with the ventriloquist dummies that showed up and was (view spoiler) I loved how the misfits solved another mystery and had other issues that they were dealing with. At one point it seemed like there were (view spoiler) I can't wait to read the last book in the quartet.
Selina
Jan 16, 2020 rated it liked it
I liked the third installment of the Magic Misfits, but not quite as much as the first two, mainly because of certain plot twists. I did expect more of the creepy puppet for example, I did not like what happened inside the six friends and I hoped for the villain to make a more impressive entry, I don't even think I know what exactly it is he wants.
I am still looking forward to number four, because I'm very curious about Rileys POV.
Julie Kim
Nov 08, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: juvie-fiction
This ended well, but the main character's decisions were super annoying. The group was also kind of side lined to develop Theo's story and I missed them. Also, so many bad friend moments. If you really cared about your friends, and the first two books are about solving a mystery to stop something from happening, then to pull back from those two things (that made the series awesome, btw) I don't know. Not my cup of tea. Not bad.
Erika
Dec 29, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
My kids really liked this book. (We've read all three books in the series out loud together.). This one did not sustain my interest as well as the earlier books, but it held theirs. I still love Neil Patrick Harris even though this wasn't my favorite. It ended on a cliffhanger, so we'll watch for Book the Fourth.
Xander Kennedy
Dec 15, 2019 rated it liked it
Another decently compelling read-aloud with the kids. This entry felt rather like The Empire Strikes Back of the Magic Misfits as much of it was rather grim. There was a lot of in-fighting among our friends here and was no happily-ever-after conclusion. We'll be hoping for some sunnier skies with the next entry.
Audrey Hill
Oct 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery
I thought this book was very clever, magical, and a little bit creepy. It was nice to have tie ins from books 1 and 2. If I read it again, I would probably want to read the first two again right before it so that some of those key details aren't forgotten. Overall, though, I really enjoyed this book.
« previous 1 3 next »

• Max Einstein: Rebels With A Cause (Max Einstein, #2)
  • A Tale of Magic... (A Tale of Magic, #1)
  • Outlaws (Royal Academy Rebels, #2)
  • The Last Dragon (The Revenge of Magic, #2)
  • The Mysterious Benedict Society and the Riddle of Ages (The Mysterious Benedict Society, #4)
  • The Winterhouse Mysteries (Winterhouse, #3)
  • Mr. Lemoncello's All-Star Breakout Game (Mr. Lemoncello's Library, #4)
  • The Midnight Hour (The Midnight Hour, #1)
  • The Strangers (Greystone Secrets, #1)
  • Knock Three Times
  • Remarkables
  • From the Desk of Zoe Washington
  • Tilly and the Lost Fairytales (Pages & Co., #2)
  • Dragon Daughter
  • The Fowl Twins (The Fowl Twins, #1)
  • Race to the Sun
  • The Big Shrink (Upside-Down Magic, #6)
  • The 117-Story Treehouse: Dots, Plots & Daring Escapes!
Neil Patrick Harris is an American actor, producer, director, magician, comedian and singer. He is best known for playing Barney Stinson in the television comedy series How I Met Your Mother (20052014), for which he was nominated for four Emmy Awards. As a child star he played the title character in Doogie Howser, M.D. (19891993). He is also known for his role as the title character in Joss ...more

The Magic Misfits (4 books)
  • The Magic Misfits (The Magic Misfits, #1)
  • The Second Story (The Magic Misfits, #2)
  • The Fourth Suit (The Magic Misfits, #4)