Start by marking “You, Me, U.S.” as Want to Read:

You, Me, U.S.

Best friends Jo and Liza are as opposite as night and day. Sex worker Jo swears by the worry-free, one-day-at-a-time dance through life. Salesclerk Liza has big plans for her family's future, and there is nothing bigger than a one-way trip to the U.S. But an almost-kiss, a sex dare, and news of Liza's engagement to her American boyfriend unveil feelings Jo and Liza never ...more
Published April 15th 2019

To ask other readers questions about You, Me, U.S., please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about You, Me, U.S.

Start your review of You, Me, U.S.
K.J. Charles
A really striking f/f romance set in the seedy side of Manila. Shop assistant Liza is desperate for a green card marriage to get her and, crucially, her family, to the US, and is on her fifteenth online boyfriend accordingly. Her best friend Jo is a failed singer turned sex worker. They are scrabbling to make ends meet, living lives that grind them down. Then Liza finally snags a sincere American man who flies over to meet and treat her, and quickly proposes. And suddenly things start to shift ...more
Geri Reads
Jun 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
This one really hit the spot. There were so many things that resonated with me. From its Manila setting, the harsh reality of the "American Dream" and of the characters and their struggles.

I'd say it's part romance, part coming of age story between 2 best friends: Jo & Liza as they each navigate their lives and confront their growing feelings for each other.

Set in Manila, Philippines this book further proves that the world is sleeping on books written by Filipino authors. I highly recommend
Jenna
Apr 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is a tough book to describe. As a romance, it didn't really work for me at all. As a piece of fiction, though, I found it really enjoyable in large part due to the fact that it's not a book I've read before; it's its own creature, with a fascinating setting and fresh, compelling leads you just never see in mainstream publishing.

Because the blurb never mentions it, and it's only obliquely referenced at the end of the sample, it's worth noting that the story is set in the Philippines (Manila,
retro
Mar 16, 2019 rated it liked it
Received an ARC from the author in exchange for an honest review.

An interesting read. Definitely an atypical romance, probably more accurately New Adult than any title I've read in the genre. Shop girl Liza dreams of a green card marriage to an American. After many failed attempts at online dating, she's almost there... only for her plans to hit a snag when she shares a kiss with best friend Jo, a tough-talking sex worker who doesn't believe in love.

This novella has a profoundly modern feel and
aarya
2019 Ripped Bodice Summer Bingo: f/f contemporary

B+ lightning review: https://smartbitchestrashybooks.com/2...

Link to live tweeting here: https://twitter.com/aarya_marsden/sta...

Disclaimer: I received a free e-ARC from the author in exchange for an honest review.
Amanda
Read this in one sitting on an overnight flight. Bautista is an exquisite writer. I’ve never read another romance like this. In fact, I suspect some people may not consider this a romance, and instead fiction with romance subplot, but I certainly do because the relationship between Liza and Jo is central to the book, even though they spend the majority of it not together.

I don’t want to get into the plot but I’ll tell you what I loved:

-First, the sex worker rep was really good (IMO, granted I’m
Danice Sison
Mar 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
by Brigitte Bautista

When I saw the author's announcement for the ARC of her latest book, an f/f romance, I jumped at the chance to get on the request list. I read Brigitte's first book, "Don't Tell My Mother", which I loved, and similarly adored her short story, "Lemon Drop Friday" from the #romanceclass anthology, "Start Here", on which I have also contributed as an author.

"You, Me, U.S." has Filipino characters and is set in Metro Manila. Brigitte Bautista's Manila is gritty
Xan West
I really appreciated the sex worker rep, Jo's emotional armor, & the spareness of the prose style in this. I will likely review later, but I want to think about it a bit more first.
Nina 321
An entrancing novella from the Philippines, written by an author who’s a member of #romanceclass, a hashtag I had not heard of but which is huge in the Philippines. This is a HEA (or HFN at least) novella, focused on women who have sex with women and with men, who have sex for money or for marriage, and all of this is presented in a liberating unjudgemental way. It’s just no big deal. The sex is hot and consensual (a requirement for #romanceclass). The prose and the setting are gritty and real ...more
Apr 29, 2019 marked it as did-not-finish
Not sure quite why I couldn't finish this. It was really well written, but it just didn't engage me. It took me weeks to get through half of it, even though it's a pretty short book. And I just wasn't feeling the chemistry between Jo and Liza at all, so I had no investment in the romance--maybe friends-to-lovers is just not my thing.
H. Bentham
"Touch where it burns, provoke and prolong what feels good, stop when it hurts."

This is coming out next week !!! and I have to be one of those people who screams at everyone to GET THIS! LOL. I loved it! It was a little heavy and gritty compared to what I usually read, but then again it reflects a different Filipino experience that I knew existed, but haven't read in fiction, much less in romance, like this.

Jo is a sex worker (and this part of her is dealt without prejudice throughout the
natalie
Loved the complexities of Jo and Liza. loved how Jo and Liza's sexuality was so normalized. It wasn't ever shown to be a problem for others.

Also at no time was Jo's profession as a sex worker ever demonized by the author, which I appreciated. Too many times I find little snide commentary that slip in painting sex workers in a terrible light but this was never the case here. There was one moment when one of Jo's dates learns what her job was and they aren't happy about it but i felt like Jo's
iam
May 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: sapphic, lgbtqia
Quite lovely romance about finding the line where the dreams we've been chasing meet the reality we live.

Content warnings include: cheating, sexual harassment, mild violence, sex work, sex on-page, hate against sex-workers; mentions of intimate partner violence/domestic abuse.

Liza and Jo, both living in Manila, have been best friends for years now. While sex worker Jo has come to terms with her dream of becoming a pop star never becoming reality, Liza is working hard towards her dream
kb
May 14, 2019 rated it liked it
I love a good old slow-burn romance but then again (who doesn't) the bigger reason I'm drawn to this book is the SOCIAL COMMENTARY. It's like a huge MIC DROP, lol. If you ever wonder what's going on on this side of the world where poverty and ~miseducation continue to prevail, this book is what's up. Coming from that phenomenal debut novel Don’t Tell My MotherDon't Tell My Mother, this author is once again bringing something new to the table, and the rest of us should sit back and enjoy.

Here are
Cleo
Jun 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: aoc, bi-romance, f-f
3 1/2 stars rounded up. Lovely and unusual friends to lovers f/f romance set in Manila.
Yeyet Soriano
Apr 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
It's very real, gritty and down-to-earth. I felt the everyday aspects of the lives of the two heroines: perennial contractor Liza and unapologetic sex worker Jo. I believed in the reasons why Jo chose her line of work. I commiserated with Liza for wanting to find a better life for her family. I delighted in living through their individual and shared adventures.

It is a very slow burn, this love story, and I got confused a bit with the epilogue, specifically the need for that one encounter, but
Brianna
I read this is practically 1 sitting - it moves along beautifully and there was so much about it to love. For one, I am always drawn to books set in the Philippines or featuring filipinx characters. This book brought together some very real aspects of life in Manila and the filipinx experience that aren't often featured in books - the way your life is not your own but instead often beholden to your extended family, internet dating to find American or European spouses, the hierarchy of ...more
Lucie Wyeth
Really enjoyed the setting and circumstances, the struggles, the immigration dilemmas. Well, “enjoyed” as in that POV needs to be a more common thing, not enjoyed as in “YAY FUN TIMES.” I just didn’t feel the spark from the love story. I rooted for the girls as individuals, and as friends, but not necessarily as love interests. Would definitely recommend the book though, just for the rest.
Jamie
Dec 14, 2019 rated it liked it
I buy the friendship, not so much the soulmates 4-evah. More books to deal with immigration realities, though. :(
Chi
Apr 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mid-shelf
I never have coherent enough things to say in book reviews, but I just needed to stress how RAW and BEAUTIFULLY WRITTEN this book is.

Signed,
Jo's Bitch
Kate
May 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Actual Rating: 5 stars

THIS IS THE WOKE FILIPINO ROMANCE BOOK Y’ALL NEED IN YOUR LIFE BOOTS THE HOUSE DOWN.

There are so many discussions this book could start off: the fetishization of Asian women by white men; the sex industry and the dehumanization and abuse of those who work in it; the issue of contractualization or “endo”; the harassment of women. Brij Bautista really hits all the spots with this book, which is simultaneously a hard-hitting social commentary and an ultra-sweet romance.

Jo’s
nikki
Apr 09, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2019-books
Jo and Liza. Jo and Liza. Jo and Liza. Jo. Liza.

This book was so real. At some point, I had to put down the book and take a break because it just hurts so much. Jo with the realities of being a sex worker in the Philippines. She has come to like it. There's no shaming whatsoever on what she does for a living. Liza, on the other hand, with that American Dream that a lot of Filipina has, going through online dating sites and hoping someone could save them and give them a better life and hopefully
caesuras
Mimi
Sep 01, 2019
Sharon Ballard
May 19, 2019

• A Little Light Mischief (The Turner Series, #3.5)
  • Proper English
  • The Lady's Guide to Celestial Mechanics (Feminine Pursuits, #1)
  • Flipping The Script (Flicker # 2)
  • No Two Ways
  • Stealing Luna
  • Kiss and Cry (Six 32 Central Book 2)
  • Work for It (Just for Him, #4)
  • Mangos and Mistletoe
  • Can't Escape Love (Reluctant Royals, #2.6)
  • Gilded Cage (Lilywhite Boys #2)
  • Gender Queer
  • Patron Saints of Nothing
  • Band Sinister
  • Mrs. Martin’s Incomparable Adventure (The Worth Saga, #2.75)
  • Stay a Little Longer
  • The Right Swipe (Modern Love, #1)
  • Stage Dreams