Start by marking “Africaville” as Want to Read:
Africaville

Africaville

A ferociously talented writer makes his stunning debut with this richly woven tapestry, set in a small Nova Scotia town settled by former slaves, that depicts several generations of one family bound together and torn apart by blood, faith, time, and fate.

Vogue : Best Books to Read This Winter

Structured as a triptych, Africaville chronicles the lives of three generations of
Expected publication: December 10th 2019 by Amistad

To ask other readers questions about Africaville, please sign up.
Jeffrey Colvin Thank you for your question. Africaville is not a strict retelling of the story of the Nova Scotia community, but an exploration of the themes of…moreThank you for your question. Africaville is not a strict retelling of the story of the Nova Scotia community, but an exploration of the themes of struggle, loss, and family that are part of its legacy. Having grown up in the segregated south where I witnessed the end of several black communities, I felt a connection to the stories about Africville, which I hope will continue to be told by those who know the community well. (less)

Start your review of Africaville
Moonkiszt
A saga from Jamaica to Nova Scotia where a village community grows into Africaville. There is an arc of this story that springs up and over and down, like Noah’s rainbow – colored by the different families that mix and mingle and create a new family line. Starting out dark-skinned, with all the trials and tribulations piled on by society, the descendants at story’s end find a surprise as they reach back for family. Reacquainting, redefining and revisiting the prejudices of persons, places and ...more
Alicia Allen
Aug 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I received an unedited advanced DRC from Above the Treeline. Thank you to Amistad Publishing for allowing me to read this book for a review.

I have always hungered to know more about my ancestors and where they came from. I’ve always had a complicated relationship with my identity as an American of obvious African descent. I am relatively certain that my ancestors came to North America through the Trans Atlantic Slave Trade, I just have no idea of where we were taken and how we got to where we
Deb
Sep 11, 2019 rated it it was ok
Africaville by Jeffrey Colvin

Starting in Halifax, Nova Scotia in 1918, this family saga carries us to 1992 with the complexities of four generations living in Canada and the U.S. It is centered around a neighborhood eventually named Africaville.

The entire story is about people being judged by where they live or lived and go to school. Heavy emphasis is placed on where to be buried, of accepting or not accepting their own race (black “passing” as white), loyalty to family and who to visit or not
Cam
Nov 17, 2019 rated it liked it
Thank you publisher and Netgalley for this book to review. I’ve attempted several times to get into this book but I struggled again and again. I couldn’t get into this book. I’m sorry.! It had nothing to do with the content. I believe it was the authors writing style that I had a hard time with.
The Artisan Geek
Nov 30, 2019 marked it as to-read
Shelves: bookcase
30/11/19
A sincere thank you to Amistad for gifting me a copy of Africaville :)

You can find me on
Youtube | Instagram | Twitter | Tumblr | Website
Aug 28, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2019-mt-bookpile
So much in this book - more usually is less but here, less left me wanting more. That there was a vibrant community of blacks in Halifax after the war, settled by escaped slaves and others, was news. Who wouldn't want to learn more? Then we meet the Sebold family and the ways in which family history and identity can change over the generations, sometimes wittingly and sometimes not. And again, more, please. This story lost points because the elisions and the lack of opportunity to explore the ...more
courtney lynn (reorganizedreads)
A huge thank you to Amistad, an extension of HarperCollins Publishing and Netgalley for giving me an advanced copy of this book! Africavillle is the debut novel by Jeffrey Colvin, set to release next Tues, Dec 10th! If you like historical fiction that deals with lesser known aspects of history or are looking to read outside the white, colonial narrative, this would be a great one to pick up.

Africaville tells the multigenerational story of the Sebolt family and how time and location play pivotal
Kim McGee
Oct 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
This family saga originates in a little known black community in Nova Scotia called Africaville. Former slaves from Jamaica were transported there where they learned French, farmed and dug in to create a unique town out of a very inhospitable landscape. This is the chronicle of the Sebolt family, three generations from the late 1800s through the tumultuous 1960s in Alabama and Mississippi to the end of the century. Culture and race relations play important roles in this story but it is really ...more
Nancy Mijangos
Sep 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing

Several generations of a mixed race family struggle with their identities as they go through life trying to decide if their race matters. To some, it is tantamount to claim their heritage, and to others it is best hidden and to pass as white.

The story was heartbreaking and uplifting at the same time. I feel anyone could relate to the characters.
Don
Aug 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Releases 12/10/2019, I read an Advanced Reader Copy. Multi-generational story of a black family and the black experience in both Canada and the United States. Identity, passing, cross-racial relationships, the importance of place, and the meaning of home. So much here.

Wikipedia "Africaville" and learn the story of the town in Nova Scotia that is the backdrop to this story. It is fascinating and a story of systemic racism that destroyed a town and displaced its residents.

Judy
Nov 02, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: giveaways
I enjoyed the story of Kath Ella, her struggles, diappointments, and strength that she would always find when life became difficult. She was motivated and determined to make the most out of the life she had been given. I did enjoy the history, but sometimes found it too distracting in the flow of the story. Jeffrey Colvin knows how to bring a story to life and make the drama vivid and unforgettable.
Tasha Pum
Dec 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I won this book in the giveaway! I was touched and intrigued by Jeffrey Colvin and the story presented. A wonderful read.
Jiya
Nov 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Hu
Valerie
Nov 27, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2-stars, fiction
2.5 stars. Very dry and way too wordy.
Keyona
Oct 20, 2019

• Dear Edward
  • Such a Fun Age
  • The Confessions of Frannie Langton
  • The Library of the Unwritten (Hell's Library #1)
  • Impossible Causes
  • A Good Neighborhood
  • The Starless Sea
  • The Grammarians
  • Look Both Ways
  • Olive, Again
  • The God Game
  • The Less People Know About Us: A Mystery of Betrayal, Family Secrets, and Stolen Identity
  • Nothing More Dangerous
  • Tristan Strong Punches a Hole in the Sky (Tristan Strong #1)
  • The Nanny
  • The Leper
  • The Last List of Miss Judith Kratt
Jeffrey was born and raised in Alabama, but now lives in New York City where he has been teaching and doing grant writing for small community-based arts organizations.
His debut novel, Africaville, is forthcoming from Amistad/HarperCollins USA. The novel will also be published in Canada, France, and Australia.
An excerpt of Africaville appeared in Narrative magazine, and his other fiction, reviews