Start by marking “Then She Vanishes” as Want to Read:
Then She Vanishes

Then She Vanishes

**PRE-ORDER NOW - the twisty, compulsive new thriller from the bestselling author of Local Girl Missing , Last Seen Alive and Do Not Disturb **

One missing. One a murderer. One trying to find the truth.

Flora has her whole life ahead of her - until the summer night she vanishes.

Her sister Heather was a good girl - until the spring morning she kills two people.

Jess Fo

Published June 27th 2019 by Penguin

To ask other readers questions about Then She Vanishes, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Then She Vanishes

Amanda
Jun 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have to hold my hands up and admit that the sheer joy of having a new Claire Douglas book is indescribable ... a fellow fan will understand!!

Wow I devoured this in a day, as I truly could not put it down.

Heather and Jess were inseparable growing up in a small seaside town until Heather’s older sister Flora goes missing and is never found. Now 18 years later Jess is a reporter and sent back to her hometown to investigate a murder that her childhood friend Heather has been accused of. Why would
Louise Wilson
Jun 25, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A teenager went missing twenty years ago, now her sister is in a coma after shooting herself.

A stranger had stormed into a house in the early hours killing fifty eight year old Clive Wilson and his elderly mother, Deirdre. Later Heather Underwood was found with a self inflicted gun shot wound. Jess, a reporter, has been sent to cover the story. The shooting had taken place in Jess's home town. But Jess's boss does not know that the perp had been Jess's childhood friend.

This is a fast paced read
Emma
Jun 22, 2019 rated it it was ok
The main issue with this book is that, save the main hook, it's just not that surprising. It starts off well. Why would a woman, to all regards happy in her marriage and with a baby she adores, get up one day and shoot two people dead? One of whom was an old lady to boot. I don't know about you, but I wanted to know.

Except the answer is right there in the blurb. This woman, Heather, had a sister who went missing when they were both young. Do we think the people she shot might have something to
Bex (Beckie Bookworm)
D6DZE63WkAEF5IP

Loved this one it was just amazing.
My third book by this author and by far my favourite.
I just adored how this was all connected together and I'm blown away with how the author has managed to connect the dots to make sense of everything while still managing to keep me in the dark through the journey.
This was such an impressive feat and managed to keep me guessing as well as constantly surprising me with its many twists and turns.
From that shocking beginning where two people are shot down in cold
Mandy White
Jun 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I challenge any reader to pick up this book, read the first chapter and then not want to devour the rest of the book! Oh my goodness, the first chapter had my heart pounding and my interest well and truely piqued. I am a big fan of Claire Douglas, having read most of her previous books and loved them.. she is definitely a writer that I instantly pick up, without needing t know the plot. Her stories are believable and characters relatable. Once I started reading this book I just wanted to keep re ...more
Mark
Jun 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

I must tell you the line ‘ my insides fizzed like a refresher on my tongue when I saw him’ probably wins description of the year 😃😎😃 a brilliant line!

This book was described by an author as a ‘page turning slow burn’, I would concur with this

The book revolves around sisters Flora and Heather and best friend Jess, one now missing presumed dead, one in hospital unconscious accused of a double murder and one a journalist
The book starts with a ‘on the edge of your seat’ chapter and then carefully a
Claire Wilson
Jun 23, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another gripping psychological thriller from Claire Douglas. Jess and Heather are best friends, but when something happens in their childhood, the drift away from each other almost immediately. Twenty years later, Heather walks into a house and shoots two people dead. Jess, now a journalist, uses her ties with the family to get the expose but does her loyalties lie with Heather or her job. 4 stars
Jocelyn
Jun 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ebooks, arc-s
Synopsis

A sleepy seaside down in southwest England is shaken to its core when a beautiful, sweet young teenager named Flora disappeared without a trace. Eighteen years later, Flora’s remaining family is once again blasted across the headlines when it appears her younger sister brutally murdered two people at random before turning the gun on herself.

Review

All right Claire Douglas, we need to have a talk because I’m a little upset with you. Your latest book cost me two nights of sleep bec
Lou
Jun 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Then She Vanishes is Ms Douglas's fifth thriller and having read each of them I can say with absolute joy that this is undoubtedly her most compelling and exciting to date. It centres around teenage sidekicks Heather and Jess whose friendships falls apart when Heather's sister Flora unexpectedly vanishes. Almost twenty years later and Jess is now working as a journalist for a small local paper when she learns that her best friend from teenage years, Heather, is currently in hospital in a coma ha ...more
Nicki
Apr 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Heather and Flora Powell and their mother Margot were more like family to young Jess when she was growing up than her own mother ever was. That was until everything went wrong in the summer of 1994,Heather and Jess's friendship was never the same after Flora mysteriously disappeared whilst on her way home one summer's night.

Twenty five years later their sleepy seaside town is rocked by another shocking tragedy when Heather tries to kill herself after the loving wife and doting new mother kills t
michelle
Jun 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
I get excited when I hear a new Claire Douglas book is coming out. And then she vanishes doesn’t disappoint. This is the 4th book of the authors I have read and loved them all.
Jess is a Journalist for the local weekly newspaper. She has returned to her hometown of Bristol after living and working in London on a daily tabloid. She has returned with her boyfriend Rory, who is a teacher. Her Assignment is to investigate a woman that has shot dead two people and tried to kill herself. Heather is her
Zoe Mann
Jun 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Claire Douglas does it again!! I didn’t even realise she was the author as I was reading this on my kindle as an ARC, but I should of known. Another 5 star rating from me to you Claire. Phenomenal! Full review to come.
Kristina
Then She Vanishes by Claire Douglas takes readers to Bristol in March of 2012. Jessica Fox is a reporter with Bristol & Somerset Herald, and she is working on a hot story. A woman is accused of murdering a man and woman in the early hours before returning home to Tilby where she takes the shotgun to herself. The woman was found alive but unconscious. Jessica is shocked when she hears the woman accused of killing two people is her old friend, Heather. Jessica and Heather were friends as young ...more
Erin
Jun 24, 2019 rated it did not like it
So I’m sitting here after finishing this book, and all I can think is: obvious story is...obvious.

This book is being billed as gripping, thrilling, best twists yada yada yada. I guess slow, poorly executed, and obvious, don’t really sell books.

While reading this book, I have discovered that I detest stories - particularly those in the mystery/thriller fad we appear to be in - when they allude to a past transgression/s, several times, before the thing is eventually unveiled. In this book there
Clare

With thanks to Netgalley and Penguin for this ARC in exchange for an open and honest review.

This is the fourth book I have read by Claire Douglas. She is one of my go to authors and her books are always a five star 🌟 read. I was so excited when I was given this book before the official publication date.

The prologue started with a stranger storming into a house in the early hours and killing fifty eight year old Clive Wilson and his elderly mother Deidre with a shotgun. Hours later Heather Underw
marlin1
Jun 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ebook, netgalley
**4.5 stars**
Claire Douglas is definitely on my must read authors list and this was another great twisty book.
For a time in her teenage years, Jess was embraced into her friend Heather’s family. But things feel apart when Heather’s older sister disappeared after a day out. Now Jess is a reporter and is covering a shocking shooting, of which Heather is a suspect.
It did take me a little to get into this book but there was always something beneath the surface to keep my interest up. I did like Jess
Aimee Walker Editorial
I've read and enjoyed Claire Douglas before so I was delighted to get this e-copy in exchange for an honest review and I wasn't disappointed! Claire writes really great characters – that you actually care about – which makes the suspense even greater than the average suspense novel.
I always love a mystery that is from the point of view of a reporter, rather than a detective, it is slightly different, less formal and has an extra moral element (which Claire took even further in Then She Vanishes
Vikki Patis
Apr 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'm a huge fan of Claire Douglas, so I was thrilled to receive this ARC of her upcoming novel. And wow, what a fantastic novel it is. It has everything a good crime thriller needs - woman returns to hometown, where secrets from her past are lying in wait. A teenaged girl went missing 20 years ago, and now her sister is in a coma after shooting herself, accused of the murder of two apparently innocent people. But nothing - and I mean nothing - is what it seems.

The twists are drip-fed to the read
Bonnye Reed
Apr 19, 2019 is currently reading it
Netgalley
pub date August 8, 2019
Penguin publishers
Liz Barnsley
Jul 15, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another superbly addictive read from Claire Douglas, a twisty delight of a tale that involves you right from page one.
I was particularly fond of Jess, one of this authors superpowers is the ability to write depthful characters that you just engage with, as she returns home to a friendship gone awry, her journalist instincts fighting an ongoing battle with her loyalties and love.
The mystery element is perfectly done, leading the reader down various intriguing paths before the final truth is revea
Sara
Jun 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is so so good. For some reason, this is the first Claire Douglas book I've read however, I've now added all the rest of her books to my TBR. Then She Vanishes is a truly gripping read, with plenty of twists and turns and a clever plot. Told from different POV, it's jumps between the past and present. I really enjoyed this book and was hooked from start to finish.

Thanks to Netgalley and the publishers for a copy of this ebook in exchange for my honest review.
Sue Plant
May 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: claire-douglas
would like to thank netgalley and the publisher for letting me read this gripping novel

oh my word this book grabs you from the very first chapter, from the very first gunshot to the second gunshot and as the would be murderer walks calmly out the house...

flora and heather have been bought up by their mother with their friend jess,they spent many a happy time in each others company...until the fair came to town...

now years later with flora who has never been found and heathers attempted suicide b
Christina McDonald
Riveting and wonderfully tense, I adored Claire Douglas's new psychological suspense novel. I was particularly impressed as the story is more a why-dunnit than a who-dunnit, and these can be tricky to pull off. But Douglas manages to set up a double murder, one in the past and one in the present, so smoothly that I couldn't stop flipping the pages to find out what was going to happen.

Set in a small seaside town with a deftly woven cast of characters, the story starts with a woman murdering a man
Rosalind
May 12, 2019 rated it it was ok
This is the first book I have read by Claire Douglas and none of it rang particularly true to me. First the guns, the author has absolutely no idea what a shotgun is. She keeps referring to bullets and only once from memory calls it a cartridge. Shotguns fire cartridges and if you shoot someone at point blank range you will make a big hole in them. Farmers as a rule have a 12 bore shotgun, no way would one leave a gun lying around for a child to pick up and more to the point farmers don't normal ...more
Jade
Jun 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Thank you to Netgalley, Claire Douglas and Penguin UK - Michael Joseph for letting me read this un put downable read.

Wow this book is so good, I have read another book by Claire before and I thoroughly ejoyed it, so I thought i would snap up the chance to read this one and I am so glad that I did.

This is an un put downable book from the start, emotional at times but very enjoyable and has a few twists and turns thrown in just when you think that you have worked out who dunnit.

I don't want to sp
Dawn
Jun 26, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
When Clive and His mother, Deirdre, are murdered in their home, blame points to Heather who has been found bleeding from a gun wound. Her childhood friend, Jessica, now estranged from Heather, is a journalist investigating the story and becomes a support to Margot, Heather’s mum. With a lot of history for the family can Jessica prove Heather wasn’t the killer.

Oh this was a sneaky read. I enjoyed the characters and how the character’s back story all fitted in. Great read. Thank you to netgalley
Jan
Jul 01, 2019 rated it liked it
Had high hopes for this one, especially seeing all the high ratings.

The beginning started off strong and drew me in, but it started fizzling out about a quarter of the way through. While I was curious to find out how things played out, there just weren’t any surprises here. That, along with the cookie cutter characters made this read fall short of my expectations from this author.

I’m still a fan, and look forward to seeing what she comes up with next. 😊

ARC provided by NetGalley
Jun 13, 2019 rated it liked it
This story is focused on Jess and the latest story she has to write for the local paper. A local woman is found barely alive and is accused of killing a middle-aged man and his mother before turning the gun on herself. Jess is shocked to find that the accused woman is her childhood friend, Heather. Investigating the story brings back memories of her teenage years and the tragic, unsolved, disappearance of Heather's sister.

There's a lot crammed between the pages. The press phone-hacking scandal,
Elaine's Reviews
Following a shocking opening that sees a young woman shoot a man and his mother to death in their own home at 6:45am, the book takes a slower, more gentle approach to the story, going back and forth in time to tease out the back story. I have to admit that it took me some time to get into the story itself. I enjoyed it in the end but it was a little too slow moving for me and I found myself struggling at times to continue with it. Overall, a good story 3/5
Kath
Jun 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I've read a few book by this author and never been disappointed so I was quite looking forward to delving into this, her latest offering. Pleased to report that it was just as juicy and captivating as its predecessors and I devoured it in just a couple of sittings.
We start with a death - mother and son shot dead in their home. We then cut to the perp as she is in hospital recovering from trying to take her own life. As she recovers in hospital prior to being charged, focus switches to Jess, a re
Claire Douglas always wanted to write novels and, after many years of trying to get published, her dream came true when she won the Marie Claire Debut Novel Award in 2013 with THE SISTERS.

Her second and third novels, LOCAL GIRL MISSING and LAST SEEN ALIVE (Penguin), are Sunday Times bestsellers.