Start by marking “Modern Gladiator (Modern Gladiator, #1)” as Want to Read:
Modern Gladiator (Modern Gladiator, #1)

Modern Gladiator

(Modern Gladiator #1)

Modern Gladiator: Book One

A prim and proper aspiring doctor and a destitute martial artist—both with hurts to comfort. Each with just the cure the other needs.

Corbin Friel hates mindless sports, especially fighting and boxing. As a medical student, he wants to help others, not watch them beat each other senseless. But his sister, Lala, can’t get enough of rough-and-tumble
ebook, 1st edition, 250 pages
Published March 26th 2019 by Dreamspinner Press

To ask other readers questions about Modern Gladiator, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Modern Gladiator

Joyfully Jay
Mar 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: sammy
A Joyfully Jay review.

Modern Gladiator by S.A. Stovall has all the elements for a enemies to lovers romance that morphs into something incredibly sweet and entertaining. Corbin is an interesting character—one that is a definite germaphobe, with a touch of OCD thrown in as well. He often finds himself unable to deal with the slightest thing being out of order and dirt—including swapped fluids after sex–is a no-no. Despite that, or perhaps because of it, Corbin can come off as both a fru
Serena Yates
Mar 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: gay, read-2019
UFC fights are no joke, the professional athletes trying to qualify for UFC status face a lot of hard work, and the temptation of taking a shortcut via doping is as present as the risk of competitors blackmailing their way in. ‘Modern Gladiator’ has two main characters who, at least initially, have diametrically opposed agendas – Corbin is a medical student and Keon is an aspiring UFC fighter. Having a future medical professional support a fighter who hurts (and is hurt) for a living is definite ...more
Laxmama
While I liked this book it was not love for me. The premise was there, i think for me it was a combination of some of
the characters along with the execution. One of the MC’s Corbin also nicknamed “bin-bin” by his sister was beyond uptight. I get that was who he was yet I never felt it explained fully and it didn’t exactly fit with other aspects of the story. There was a parallel story running with Corbin’s sister & I felt just too much of the book forced and contrived, too much OTT
Becca
Mar 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I am so much like Corbin in this book lol. I have never really understood that boxing matches and MMA matches. Please do not misunderstand me. I'm not knocking it all or judging. If it makes people happy, go for it. Sometimes it just seems a little blood thirsty to me is all I meant. I can understand it to a point. Discipline, letting go of aggression, things like that. Anyway, lol. I also, like Corbin, would support someone anyway for following their dreams. And this is a good book. The work in ...more
namericanwordcat
I am really excited about this series. Like Corbin, I don't like MMA that much but I respect commitment, hard work and talent. Koen is such a steadfast hero and love that in contrast with his fighter persona.

This love stories builds and builds and we get to enjoy watching these two fall in love. Corbin makes some terrible choices that really only new adults make.

The side plot with his ex boyfriend doesn't really work well for me and I would like more time with them fully in a relationship but
Happily Ever Chapter
✩ ✩ ✩ ✩ 4-STAR ✩ REVIEW ✩ ✩ ✩ ✩

A physically fit male dominates the cover with minimal lighting causing deep shadows on his bare torso. He’s seen holding a length of chain. Heavy block letter font makes the title stand out. Overall, the composition provides a dramatic air that seems to be backed up by an intriguing synopsis.

POV ~> Dual first-person

So, Corbin is a med student. Keon is an MMA fighter aiming for the UFC level. Corbin’s sister has a bone illness and although older than him, he w
Diverse
Mar 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Reviewed by Jenn for Diverse Reader

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

I thought this would be a fun opposites attract story and it is but it’s also so much more.

We have Corbin Friel, a med student who seems to live by rules and schedules. We also have Keon Lynch, a man who lives by his fists. These two seem to be so far apart that they come from different worlds.

I could list all the ways they’re different, but I want to focus on how they’re the same. They are lonely and at first glance, Keon see
Ivy

Keon Lynch has one goal, being a UFC’s fighter. He’s self-made. He trains alone in a workout gym and has no team, no support, no cornermen. Corbin Friel is a medical student, and he wants to be a doctor like his parents. He wants to save people and has nothing to do with this harsh and rough world of fighters.
Keon and Corbin are drawn to each other even if everything is against them. What are the odds for a broken fighter and a proper student to start a re
Morgan
3.5 or 4 stars

For someone supposed to be so smart Corbin can be pretty stupid and also a little judgemental or even hypocritical at least when it comes to his sister's boyfriend but in his defense he has no problem admiting his fault, most of the time without anybody telling him he's wrong. He can come off a little awkward with the way he speaks and the way he react to certain things but I appreciate the fact that even if he has some prejudice he isn't stubborn about it if that makes any sense 😅
Ami
I admit that I really don't have high adoration to MMA -- what can I say, I'm not into hard/physical sports that more into punching/kicking other people until they're bloody. BUT, I can't help admiring Keon for his passion towards the sport, which helped the story a bit.

The romance is rather dry. Corbin, for me, is a little of a doormat. AND I was NOT too amused with Corbin's sister. OR her side romance with Derek, because, well, I also thought Derek being much too cowardly.
Kristy Maitz
Apr 03, 2019 rated it liked it
I really don't know what to think about that story plot. If I would guess, I would say the story plot is shallow and something is missing, but don't ask me what. Both main character Corbin and Keon are interesting individuals so their coming together is fine. Also, ending is abrupt and not satisfied.

I read a lot of more interesting books than that one so ....
Meggie
Apr 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: family, drama, romance, sport
I liked the atmosphere in Modern Gladiator. Both MC, Corbin and Keon, were Alpha types. Their romance developed rather abruptly, okay from sex toward affection and at the end love. That's why I'm definitely looking forward to the sequel on Keons dream of becoming a professional UFC fighter. His romance with Corbin was fresh and new, so we'll have to see how this'll develop as well.
Kristina
Line
rated it it was ok
Apr 10, 2019
Jerry
rated it did not like it
Mickie Ashling
added it
⚣Michaelle⚣
Lioness7
Mar 31, 2019
S.A. Stovall grew up in California’s central valley with a single mother and little brother. Despite no one in her family having a degree higher than a GED, she put herself through college (earning a BA in History), and then continued on to law school where she obtained her Juris Doctorate.

As a child, Stovall’s favorite novel was Island of the Blue Dolphins by Scott O’Dell. The adventure on a des