Start by marking “Skip” as Want to Read:
Skip

Skip

A colorful, unpredictable postapocalyptic world comes alive in Skip, when two unlikely friends, Bloom and Gloopy, find themselves tossed from dimension to dimension. Gloopy is running toward adventure, and away from their home and friends who don't understand their creative talent. Bloom is desperately trying to return home to their lake, and avoid the terrible violence of ...more
Published July 23rd 2019 by Nobrow

To ask other readers questions about Skip, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Skip

Start your review of Skip
Dave Schaafsma
Dec 09, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: gn-fantasy
A simple story where Bloom, a human, and Gloopy, a creature from another dimension, both in some kind of crisis, meet and skip across dimensions, encountering various fantastical creatures, becoming friends. Gorgeous watercolor? painted? digital artwork is really the main feature of this, the reason to pick it up. Not much story, but so much color!

And you know, it's fantasy, so the artist gets to just invent. Which is essentially what the story is about, since Gloopy, this goofy-looking charact
Liv Morris
Jul 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: lgbtq, read-in-2019
animation industry make a movie of this or I'm comin for you ...more
Rebecca
Aug 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is easily the most visually gorgeous graphic novel that I have ever encountered. The friendship story is effortless and accessible. A true finding yourself, finding your strengths, and then finding others when you feel like you're lost story. Story feels a little Alice in Wonderland while at the same time is NOTHING like Alice in Wonderland. Gender-neutral "they" pronouns are used throughout. Ingram has this as 13 y.o. and up ... but story is clean so I wouldn't hesitate to put this in the ...more
Loz
Sep 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comics
Really truly beautiful. Fantastic use of the comics medium for transcendent storytelling. Fascinating interwoven characters and worlds and riveting use of color. Panel wonkery abounds. Bonus points for non-binary representation!
Kelsey Edwards
The art is OUTSTANDING!! Especially all of the water (lakes, bubbles, tears, etc.) illustrations. This looks like the kind of graphic novel that would be delightful to make (mostly imaginative scenes with color filling the pages rather than word bubbles).

When I reread this I will take my time really closely viewing the art and completely ignore the dialogue.
Kim
Nov 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
A whimsical and heartwarming tale of a couple of beings from different worlds skipping through other worlds and dimensions until they find their way home and deal with quite difficult situations.
The bright eye-catching hardcover caught my attention from the library shelf. A quick enjoyable read through showed me that these graphics are whimsical, original and enhance the story.
One that you could flick through and enjoy the graphics again and again.

Jana
I have so many feelings about this stunning graphic novel, and I just love it so, so much in its entirety. The art is incredibly beautiful and the characters and the main friendship are moving and believable and just ... please do yourselves a favour and read this <33 ;W;
Jessica Park Rhode
Jul 18, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: comics
A simple story of finding the right person at the right time. Read this for the fever dream visuals— there are so many pages I want to turn into prints.
Karina
Rating: 5 Stars ★★★★★
Skip full review 🌊❤
SKIP is an absolute masterpiece! This is a WONDERFUL graphic novel that needs more hype, please read it you won't be disappointed!! The art is captivating, uses a enchanting rainbow of color, and tells a deeply moving and emotionally-driven journey filled with depth!

Skip by Molly Mendoza is a beautiful tale of friendship, growth, and introspection as Bloom & Gloopy travel across different dimensions looking for a way home!

Honestly I can't even put my
Good Night To Read
Oct 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
Utterly amazing artwork that explodes behind your eyes and takes you on an unforgettable journey. So immersive you could stare at each page only for a new surprise to be revealed. Raw emotion. Spectacular bursts of colour & effortless exploration & experimentation. Limited vocabulary but a picture speaks a thousand words. The layering, the framing, the fantabulous transitioning. Wow. A student said on looking at the front cover- “It’s as if creation had taken form and dived into the ocean.” A ma ...more
hweatherfield
Feb 03, 2020 rated it liked it
Beautiful, stunning artwork with a less entertaining narrative. This one took me a while to read because I found the artwork competing too much with the story, to the point where I lost interest. Visually it's definitely a 5-star book, but the overall layout (and sometimes color choices) made it difficult to understand what was happening. This cute little story about similar "outsiders" who become friends and journey together back home was lighthearted, but nothing too new or captivating for my ...more
ariel
Nov 04, 2019 rated it liked it
3.5*
as plenty others have said: this is simply gorgeous to look at, the art is very unique and emotional. it’s easy to simply stare at a few pages to get all the details in. the story was a unfortunately pretty bland and predictable, but i would absolutely recommend this to anyone who wants to read something short and sweet, especially for younger readers
Kaitlyn R.
May 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: owned-books
Bought, read, and got signed at TCAF 2019. A really gorgeous book. A fairly straightforward story about some dimension-hopping youths but with some stunning visuals and solid characterization. It turns out I got her Zine last year and it was also a visual spectacle. Mendoza does not disappoint!
Asti
Jul 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
SUCH a gorgeous book. As soon as I saw it I knew I needed to have it.
Tess
Nov 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely gorgeous!
Patricia
The art was very confusing to me. I liked how bold and dynamic it was, but it was difficult for me to understand the story.
Anna Dijk
Apr 25, 2020 rated it really liked it
The art in this book is absolutely stunning. I love how Mendoza manages to use color an abstract influences, not just stylistically, but as a storytelling tool. Every word has its own color scheme and the in between weirdness are abstract paintings, but don't make the story difficult to understand.
The story too is sweet. Especially the characters are very likable. I also appreciate that all of them are refered to with gender neutral pronouns, and that this is never addressed.
I do feel the story
D. George
Apr 11, 2020 rated it really liked it
I really love the art in this graphic novel, and I love that the publisher took the time to give texture to the hardcover.

However, if the synopsis hadn't explained that the two characters - Bloom and Gloopy - were traveling through dimensions, I would have been very very confused. As it is, I'm still not sure about what happened, and I'm still not sure how exactly they went to the different dimensions. And I'm not exactly sure what they did in each dimension, and how they ended back up in their
Kalie
Dec 29, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
I actually started drooling over this insanely gorgeous book the first time I spotted it in the bookstore. Knowing nothing about it, I just knew that I needed to have these illustrations near me, so I bought it up. The art is hands down 5/5 stars - no, 6/5 stars. It’s beautiful. The story, though, was quite weak. I found it a little hard to follow at certain points (though it’s simple enough), but it jumped around sort of erratically and never really gripped me. I’d give the writing a 2/5. So th ...more
Katy
The art is spectacular. I was mesmerized.
It’s a wonderful and strange story. I felt at arm’s length from the characters because it was so odd I was always somewhat puzzling over what was being portrayed, but I still really enjoyed it.
Michelle
Jan 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comics, fantasy, favorites
A beautifully illustrated portal fantasy. Following Bloom and Gloopy -- the former a young boy from a post-apocalyptic world and the latter, a fantastical being -- the story chronicles their adventures when Bloom accidentally stumbles into Gloopy’s world when he dives into a pond to retrieve an amulet they’ve inherited. The two find themselves on an otherworldly adventure as they hop from world to world while Bloom tries to retrieve the amulet.

Mendoza’s title is thin on plot but makes up for it
Nick
Sep 11, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Beautiful in every way. Emotionally charged and uplifting, skip explores the fears of its characters and helps us to understand our own. The art style and colour palette is absolutely incredible - this is certainly a graphic novel i will return to again and again, both for comfort and inspiration
Rachel Brouder
Feb 10, 2021 rated it really liked it
Pretty. The story isn't much but that's not the point. You come for the art. The art is good. Very short, I'm not one to read a book in one sitting but I could've easily read this in one sitting. I didn't, but I could have. ...more
Mya
May 16, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: wishlist
soooo visually stunning, otherworldly, surreal, abstract, etc etc etc. i love this so much and now want to buy a copy since i checked this out from the library. i feel so inspired by this art work. wow.
Anne
May 31, 2021 rated it liked it
Shelves: books-i-own
The artwork is absolutely stunning and reason enough to pick up this book, but sadly I thought the story was underdeveloped, which meant I couldn't really get invested in the main characters' journeys. ...more
Emily Graham
Dec 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics
Each page is a feast for the eyes
Lesley
Jan 25, 2020 rated it really liked it
GORGEOUS.
Sydnëy Maë
Sep 29, 2020 rated it liked it
3/5 stars.
Navya
Oct 11, 2020 rated it it was amazing
The story is good but holy shit can I marry the artwork
Megha

• Hot Comb
  • Constantly
Art
See top shelves…
Molly Mendoza has a BFA from the Pacific Northwest College of Art and is a recipient of the RockStar Games Award from the 2015 Society of Illustrators Student Competition. Her first graphic novel, Skip, was published in 2019. She lives in Portland, Oregon.