Start by marking “The Magazine of Fantasy & Science Fiction January/February 2019 (The Magazine of Fantasy & Science Fiction Book 136)” as Want to Read:

NOVELLAS

Survey – Adam-Troy Castro
The Washer from the Ford – Sean McMullen
Tactical Infantry Bot 37 Dreams of Troche
Published March 12th 2019

Start your review of The Magazine of Fantasy & Science Fiction January/February 2019 (The Magazine of Fantasy & Science Fiction Book 136)
Beth Cato
Jan 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I think this is one of the strongest issues of F&SF that I've ever read. It was packed with goodness from front to back. As much as I enjoyed them all, there were a few stand-outs:

TO THE BEAUTIFUL SHINING TWILIGHT - Carrie Vaughn: a fantastic contemporary take on how humans mature and grow after their time questing in lands of fairies and lore. I appreciated the deep sense of realism to this story.

THE RIGHT NUMBER OF CATS - Jenn Reese: the title alone hooked me. What
G33z3r
I enjoyed a lot of the stories in this issue...

"The Washer From The Ford" by Sean McMullen
Very likable urban fantasy story about a sharp guy who witnesses a murder and soon meets an unusual woman who shows him something new & supernatural. I really enjoyed how the narrative unfolded the mysteries. ****

"The Province of Saints" by Robert Reed
Small town sheriff called to neighboring town's mass murder scene. There's a new drug in town, and its effects are interestingly motivational./>"The/>"The
Standback
I had a funny experience with this issue. While ordering stories in an issue or magazine is often something of a dark art, this issue split almost perfectly in the middle. The first half just didn't grab me; the second half was one hit after another.

----

"To The Beautiful Shining Twilight," by Carrie Vaughn.
Kids who once journeyed to fairyland are summoned once more -- but they're all grown up now. A solid story, but I don't feel it really offers much beside that basic premise -- a/>"To
Kam Yung Soh
An about average issue, with mostly 'mild' fantasy stories (mild in the sense that there is minimal magic involved). Among those that stood out for me are the ones by Carrie Vaughn, Sean McMullen and Pip Coen.

- "To the Beautiful Shining Twilight" by Carrie Vaughn: the fairy king revisits the home of a member of a group of human musicians who once saved his kingdom after many years. Time has move on for her and she is reluctant to get involved with him again. But he pleads with her to
Leroy Erickson
Feb 04, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fandsfmag
A couple of very good stories and several good ones.

Carrie Vaughn - To The Beautiful Shining Twilight - 5 stars
- There are many stories about young people having an adventure in some magical fairy land, but then they grow up and the magic goes away. What would they do if, many years later, they were given the chance to go there again? A very thoughtful story.

Robert Reed - The Province Of Saints - 4 stars
- A mass shooting and subsequent fire leaves many peopl
John Loyd
Jan 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fsf
7 • To the Beautiful Shining Twilight • 12 pages by Carrie Vaughn
Very Good. After thirty years Arien has returned from his Fae land to ask a favor of Abby. She wants to shoo him away after being abandoned all those years ago.

19 • The Province of Saints • 17 pages by Robert Reed
Good/VG. Mitch is brought in to talk with Mary Sue Billings. He's now a cop from a couple towns over, but he went to school with the Billings. A couple years behind Mary Sue, but in the same grade
Jordi
Apr 07, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
There goes my first issue of this classic magazine! It’s never too late, I guess. My favorite story without a doubt was “Joe Diabo’s Farewell”, by Andy Duncan. Even if the fantastic elements are quite thin, it’s an impressive exhibition of character building and storytelling set in the growing New York of the 20s, centered around the lives of a group of Native Americans working in Manhattan skyscraper construction. One of the best stories I read lately.

Other highlights were the fresh take on th
Renee Babcock
Another very solid edition with Blue as Blood and Washer from the Ford being my favorite stories.

I also don't always connect with the science column but this one on Novas and Supernovas was really interesting reading.
Mary Lee
This is my favorite issue of F&SF in quite a while. I appreciate the variety of stories that F&SF encompasses, but that does mean that usually there are one or two pieces that don't appeal to me. This time I liked all eleven stories, which ranged from high fantasy to military science fiction. In addition, I liked Jerry Oltion's science article on Betelgeuse (perhaps partly because I've been writing astronomy poetry of late, including a poem about Betelgeuse).

Of the eleven fin
Stephen Damm
A fairly decent issue. My favorites were "Blue as Blood" (the editor's intro says it's about perception and intolerance. As good a description as any, especially for two words. But I couldn't help but feel like there is more going on here. One of the top two for the issue), and "The Fall from Griffin's Peak" which, despite a fairly mundane fantasy setting distinguishes itself with some good framing devices, clever turns, and emotional payoff (that last, in particular, is something the stories of ...more
Benjamin DeHaan
Favorites were “Survey” and “The Washer from the Ford”
Bruce
Feb 06, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
As I mentioned earlier on in the magazine, I was a bit surprised that the first few stories had little SF or fantasy in them, but then things kicked into gear with a great Phyllis Eisenstein novella, followed by several good stories. My favorite was The Fall From Griffin’s Peak by Pip Coen, a humorous (at least it starts out that way) fantasy story that left me wanting more. Overall, a good issue.
Michael Frasca
Jan 07, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My favorite stories:

THE CITY OF LOST DESIRE - Phyllis Eisenstein.

JOE DIABO’S FAREWELL - Andy Duncan. A most excellent American tale.

THE PROVINCE OF SAINTS - Robert Reed. Punishing sociopaths in the future.

SURVEY - Adam-Troy Castro. Recruiting sociopaths for the future.
Tad Kilgore
Sep 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019
excellent and balanced issue. Survey by Adam Troy Catro was a standout.
Patrick Hurley
Apr 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of my new favorite issues. Some really great stories in here. A few infuriated me (in an absolute good way) and there was some lovely epic fantasy.
Mark

• Asimov’s Science Fiction Magazine January/February 2019
  • The Only Harmless Great Thing
  • Asimov's Science Fiction May/June 2019
  • The Year's Top Hard Science Fiction Stories 2
  • Witchmark (The Kingston Cycle, #1)
  • The Tiger's Daughter (Their Bright Ascendency, #1)
  • The Black God's Drums
  • Killing Gravity (The Voidwitch Saga, #1)
  • Lightspeed Magazine, Issue 104 (January 2019)
  • Lightspeed Magazine, Issue 105 (February 2019)
  • A Shadow in Summer (Long Price Quartet, #1)
  • Uncanny Collateral (Valkyrie Collections, #1)
  • Asimov's Science Fiction July/August 2019
  • Hostile Takeover (Vale Investigation, #1)
  • Witches of Lychford (Lychford, #1)
  • Evil Embers (Vale Investigation, #2)
  • The Third Murray Leinster MEGAPACK®: 15 Classic Stories
Editor: The Magazine of Fantasy & Science Fiction (fandsf.com).

Author: The Prodigal Troll, the Traitor to the Crown Series, and Wild Things, and dozens of short stories.

Awards: nominated for the John W. Campbell Award for Best New Writer (2003), the Hugo Award (2003, 2009), the Locus Award for Best Magazine (2016), the Nebula Award (2003, 2009), the Sidewise Award (2003) Sturgeon