Start by marking “I Will Make You Pay” as Want to Read:
I Will Make You Pay

I Will Make You Pay

Every Wednesday, like clockwork, the terror returns.

It seems like an ordinary Wednesday, until the phone rings. A mysterious caller with a chilling threat. Journalist Alice Henderson hangs up, ready to dismiss it as a hoax against the newspaper. But the next Wednesday, the stalker makes another move—and it becomes clear that this is all about Alice.

Someone wants her to

Published October 10th 2019 by Thomas & Mercer

To ask other readers questions about I Will Make You Pay, please sign up.

Start your review of I Will Make You Pay
Dita
Oct 18, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audible
Three strikes and I am out.

Three times I have been intrigued enough by other's reviews only to walk the same path to the same outcome.

Always an interesting premise, always a well-written story and then either a crappy literary device to wrap things up or in this case the MOST predictable of endings.

I kept telling myself it was a red herring, NO WAY were we going where it seemed like we were going, and then?

"Hello!!! We're here!!"

I am just not the audience for Driscoll's books. Fool me once,
Sumit RK
Nov 20, 2019 rated it liked it
It seemed like an ordinary Wednesday until the phone rang. A mysterious caller is threatening journalist Alice Henderson who dismisses it as a hoax. But the next Wednesday, the stalker makes another move—and it becomes clear that this is all about Alice. Alice is determined not to give in to fear, but with every passing Wednesday the warnings escalate, until it’s not only Alice but also her family in the stalker’s sights. As her stalker closes in, can Alice uncover his identity?

The story begins
Sandy *The world could end while I was reading and I would never notice*
EXCERPT: True panic is rising now. Sometimes, at night, I struggle to breathe through my nose - especially during the hay fever season. I start to feel this deep, deep dread. What if my nose gets blocked now? If I can't breathe through my nose, I will simply suffocate. I will die. I look around this bleak and terrible space and imagine that this is where everything could end for me. I can feel my breathing quicken with my panicked thoughts and I tell myself that I have to find a way to calm ...more
Jayme
Sep 06, 2019 rated it liked it
3.5 stars! (rounded down)

It seemed like an ordinary Wednesday until the phone rings.

Journalist Alice Henderson, hangs up, figuring that it is a hoax against her newspaper. But, the following Wednesday, there is another threat. One that makes it clear that Alice, and not the newspaper, is the target.

But, why? Does it have to do with her work at the paper? Or something from her past?

Ceecee
Jul 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
4 - 5 stars

I really enjoyed this book and had it not been for some reservations about the ending I would have given it 5 stars. The story was intriguing from the start as the truth gradually emerged over who and why Alice was being stalked. The author captured well the range of emotions that victims would go through as the threats to Alice escalated and her sense of paranoia and suspicion grew of those around her, as she felt increasingly vulnerable. I really liked that Alice’s overriding
Amanda
Aug 10, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Alice a journalist is sent a threatening note that she will be cut by a cheese wire, but this is not the first note she has received and strangely it always occurs on a Wednesday. After several more threats, her husband Tom employs Matthew a private investigator to keep her safe and discover who the culprit is.

Mathew discovers that Alice is keeping her own secrets, is the stalker something to do with her past or has she upset someone regarding an article she has written.

The story alternates
Liz
Oct 01, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
This book is a delightfully creepy mystery. Alice is a reporter for the local weekly newspaper. First she gets a threatening phone call, then an odd “gift”. Every Wednesday something even more intimidating occurs. Whoever this stalker is, he knows a lot about her personal life. The police aren’t much help. She even hires a PI, Matthew Hill, to help guard her.

The book moves quickly and the author maintains a good sense of tension. But Alice never quite gelled as a real person for me. We hear
Tucker
Sep 01, 2019 marked it as not-released-tbr
funny story here...

Whenever you email Amazon Publishing Publicity, there's an automatic response, which happens with most publishers. But I always put the book title as the subject line so this happened:

That left me thinking, okay... what did i do and will i get to be murdered by jeff bezos
Lisa
Jan 05, 2020 rated it it was ok
Shelves: did-not-like
OH ALICE YOU ARE SUCH A FOOL!!
Well where do I start with this book I am afraid one hit & I am outta here with this author, it was an intriguing premise that got me intrigued but it was a long haul from the start right to the finish, I wasn't invested in any of the characters so unlikeable & flawed that I had to grit my teeth at times just to get through the book. It wasn't a page turner the pacing & suspense never picked up the whole way through, to say this was a thriller is an
Mark
Sep 27, 2019 rated it really liked it

A good honest down the line mystery psychological whodunit
Alice, a journo ( who it has to be said is extremely unlucky ) is being stalked, BUT not your ‘common or garden’ stalking we all know now but very specifically on every Wednesday, and the stalking ‘events’ are getting more and more troublesome
Enter a cast with a past ( not bad! ) and a host of ‘could it be’s’ and the book leads you down a good few paths until we find out who the culprit is and why they are targeting Alice
The stalker has a
Sandra ~ ♥ Cross My Heart ♥
Journalist Alice Henderson answers a threatening phone call while in the newspaper office one Wednesday. While it unsettles her, she brushes it off as just another newspaper crank caller. However, when she's threatened again the next Wednesday . . . and the next, she is forced to admit that she's being targeted by a stalker to the point that her life is totally disrupted by paranoia, frustration, and fear. The question is why?

I Will Make You Pay is an entertaining suspense thriller that is told
Louise Wilson
Oct 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
Journalist Alice Henderson receives a threatening phone call one Wednesday afternoon. She believes it to be a random phone call that's not meant for her. But each Wednesday she gets another phone call with a threat from her stalker. The police are unable to give Alice the the protection she requires, so her boyfriend hires a private investigator. At first she thought that the threats might be against the newspaper she works for, but she now realises that they are more personal. She also worries ...more
Julie (JuJu)
“I Will Make You Pay” is a creepy mystery. A stalker who pursues and taunts his prey every Wednesday. Why is Wednesday so special?

It’s told from varied POV’s, during several timelines. I was drawn in immediately by the first chilling phone call Alice received from her stalker.

The writing was enjoyable and the summary was intriguing. We were given plenty of suspects to keep us wondering....Who is it? I never narrowed down my list to predict the stalker, so I was surprised when he was revealed.
Linda Strong
Sep 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
Journalist Alice Henderson is being stalked. Hang up calls. Telephone threats. Someone was in her house. Someone has videotaped her mother who is in the nursing home. Who is terrorizing her? At first she thinks it's just a hoax.. a prank ... but then things turn deadly.

Her boss wants her to take time off until this is resolved. Her co-worker, Jack, takes to following her around himself. Her boyfriend, Tom, hires Matthew Hill, a private investigator, to follow her only on Wednesdays ... which is
Stacey
Oct 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
There's an insurance commercial that makes me laugh when I see it. It's on the set of a scary movie and girls are screaming and running toward the bad guy. A voice says, "If you're in a horror movie, you make poor decisions." Isn't that the truth! Anyway, as I began I'll Make You Pay I had flashes of that commercial when I found myself talking to my ipad, "What are you doing??" and "Don't do that!"

Alice is a journalist and she is passionate about her job. She starts getting disturbing calls once
Monnie
Sep 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Time was when extreme emotional distress to me meant not being able to have my morning coffee - you know, that stuff that magically turns you into something close to human - before heading out to get my annual blood test that requires fasting. But reading as many books as I have (75 so far this year), I've found something else: realizing it's 5 minutes before bedtime and I need 20 more to finish the book that's got me on the edge of my seat.

This is one such book. And yes, I lugged my Kindle up
Oct 20, 2019 rated it liked it
I Will Make You Pay is a thriller about a journalist named Alice that starts receiving threatening calls and gifts on Wednesdays. I’ve been trying to branch out my reading a little more because I’ve been feeling a little burned out on SFF these days, but this book made me remember why I don’t read thrillers often.

The thing is, I think in order for a thriller to work you have to care about or connect with the character to some degree (to create suspense). Thrillers tend to focus heavily on
Nadene  (Totally Addicted to Reading)
When I saw the title and read the synopsis, I envisioned a series of sinister, frightening, and chilling events. I went into the story with expectations of a fast-paced thriller, which would have me on the edge of my seat and create a feeling of fear for the characters involved. Alas, I experienced none of these feelings. Instead, I got a slow moving mystery, which kept me guessing, minus the thrills and suspense.

The story began on an exciting note. It was a typical Wednesday for Journalist
Jayme
Sep 06, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5 stars!

It seemed like an ordinary Wednesday until the phone rings.

Her boyfriend Tom hires PI Matthew Hill, giving readers a chance to catch up with him, and DI Melanie Sanders, both recurring
Rose
Oct 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
Thank you to Amazon Publishing UK and NetGalley for my advance copy of “I Will Make You Pay”, by author
Teresa Driscoll , for my honest review.

This is the first book by Teresa Driscoll that I have read, one which I thoroughly enjoyed, and I will read more of her titles in the future.

The book was a Thriller/Mystery, and was a style that was easy to read, and caught my attention right away. It also kept my interest straight through to the last page.

It was a bit of a creepy story, with a good
Jill McGill
"Every Wednesday, like clockwork, the terror returns."

Now that's a psychological thriller! Talk about having your life turned upside down from one threatening phone call... well, that's just what happened to Journalist Alice Henderson. I Will Make You Pay is a roller coaster thrill ride that is dark and twisted, so get ready for a gripping ride of your life.

I have read other books by Teresa Driscoll and have truly enjoyed them, and now I'm very pleased to say that this one is another great
Michelle
Sep 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
It’s just an ordinary Wednesday when Journalist Alice Henderson gets a phone call that she is going to be cut with a cheese wire. She first thinks it is a hoax. But when other things happen the following Wednesdays. Alice fears for her life. With Police have little resources, her lawyer boyfriend Tom hires a private investigator to find the culprit.
During the investigation, secrets are unturned about Alice not her real name. she changed it due to her ex-boyfriend jailed for child grooming. She
Kate R
Oct 06, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arcs
*3.5 stars*
This was my first book by this author and it was definitely a page turner! The book immediately opens up with journalist, Alice, answering her work phone to someone on a voice changer saying “I am going to use a cheese wire on you.” It’s a Wednesday, and what follows is more Wednesdays filled with a stalker trying to scare Alice. Alice is rightfully terrified and is trying to find out who this could possibly be. Her boyfriend, Tom, involves a PI named Matthew. There are alternating
Adele Shea
Dec 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
I Will Make You Pay, is one of those books that makes you change your mind on the suspects right throughout. I did however, feel that there was a little too much going on at some points during the book. 3.5stars
ʚϊɞ Shelley ʚϊɞ
20515174

I Will Make You Pay is an edge of your seat mystery that keeps the reader guessing from the beginning. The book is wonderfully written and the descriptive style paints a picture that is both dark and eerie. Nothing is quite as it seems in this one and the twists just keep coming. There is something sinister about this cat and mouse game. With so many questions throughout the story, it is impossible to give details without spoilers, but I will say that all is revealed in the end and the
Dee Arr
Sep 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Right from the first page, “I Will Make You Pay” weaves suspense and mystery themes in a tight web, pulling you into the book. The story is primarily told by Alice, who shares the spotlight with a private detective (Matthew) and the person stalking Alice. There is plenty of time spent allowing readers to get to know these three characters, and we learn their good and bad points as well as the motivations for their actions.

Author Teresa Driscoll drops a few cleverly masked clues throughout the
Amanda McGill
Oct 11, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: netgallery, 2019
For full review - The Limit of Books Does Not Exist

I Will Make You Pay is a slow burn mystery that still caught me off guard at the end. I wasn’t sure what to expect going into the novel and I was pleasantly surprised with the result.

Alice is a journalist and if you have read my past reviews, you know that I’m not a fan of journalists as main characters. I did like Alice even though she has made some questionable choices, both in present day and in the past. The novel also had a lot of Matthew’s
Bridgett
Oct 16, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: arc
So, this book took me awhile to read...and normally, that's a bad thing. This time, though, it was my obsession with playing 'The Oregon Trail' with my daughter that caused the delay.

This is the fourth Teresa Driscoll novel I've read, and I'd say it falls somewhere in the middle--not as good as I Am Watching You, but far better than The Friend and The Promise.

I truly enjoyed the beginning of this story, but it quickly became bogged down with too many meaningless secondary plots, although I
Velvet
3.5 stars rounded up

Let me preface this review by saying that as a journalist I knew I was either going to love this or hate it. That said, I felt neither. And I think that's a good thing. Because if you can write a book about a writer without offending real-life writers the chances are you've got something there.

Alice is a small-town journalist who has a couple of weird coincidences that together add up to a stalking situation that escalates each week. A couple of side plots add nicely to the
Ceecee

• When She Returned
  • The Better Liar
  • Single
  • The Perfect Mother
  • Woman in the Water (DS Imogen Grey, #6)
  • The Poison Garden
  • The Blossom Twins (Detective Natalie Ward #5)
  • Close to You
  • Behind Every Lie
  • The Liar's Sister
  • The Good Neighbor
  • The Family
  • Little Secrets
  • I Dare You
  • The Look-Alike
  • I See You (Criminal Profiler, #2)
Teresa Driscoll - a former BBC TV news presenter- is now an international #1 bestselling author. Her debut psychological suspense I AM WATCHING YOU hit Number One on Kindle in the UK, USA and Australia and sold more than half a million copies in its first year. Her second thriller THE FRIEND was also Kindle #1 in the UK and Australia and a top #10 bestseller in the USA.
Teresa also writes women's