Jump to ratings and reviews

I Will Make You Pay

Every Wednesday, like clockwork, the terror returns.

It seems like an ordinary Wednesday, until the phone rings. A mysterious caller with a chilling threat. Journalist Alice Henderson hangs up, ready to dismiss it as a hoax against the newspaper. But the next Wednesday, the stalker makes another move—and it becomes clear that this is all about Alice.

Someone wants her to suffer, but for what? Her articles have made her a popular local champion—could it be her past rather than her work that’s put her life in danger? Alice is determined not to give in to fear, but with the police investigation at a dead end, her boyfriend insists on hiring private investigator Matthew Hill.

With every passing Wednesday the warnings escalate, until it’s not only Alice but also her family in the stalker’s sights. As her tormentor closes in, can Alice uncover what she’s being punished for before the terrifying threats become an unthinkable reality?

317 pages, Kindle Edition

First published October 10, 2019

Loading interface...
Loading interface...

About the author

Teresa Driscoll

12 books2,043 followers
Teresa Driscoll is a former BBC TV news presenter whose psychological thrillers have sold two million copies in more than 20 languages. Her first thriller I AM WATCHING YOU was kindle #1 in the UK, USA and Australia and has sold more than a million copies in English alone.
Teresa writes women's fiction as well as thrillers and her work has been optioned for film.
Teresa lives in glorious Devon with her family and blogs regularly about her "writing life" at her website - www.teresadriscoll.com.

Ratings & Reviews

What do you think?

Friends & Following

Create a free account to discover what your friends think of this book!

5 stars
438 (3%)
1 star
164 (1%)
Displaying 1 - 30 of 1,200 reviews
Profile Image for MarilynW.
1,034 reviews2,570 followers
November 18, 2021
I Will Make You Pay by Teresa Driscoll

Journalist Alice Henderson has secrets but she's done a good job of moving on and leaving those things behind her. She enjoys her job, has a partner that would take things even farther if she was willing, and wants to be there for her mother, who has end stage COPD. But when she gets a threatening phone call, with the caller's voice distorted, her world begins to unravel. Soon there are more threats and even her mother isn't safe. How can Alice get the police help she needs when she's unwilling to even tell them the truth about her past?

Now PI Michael Hill is on her case. He's a former detective who can still rely on his former partner to share information and access with him so that he can try to keep Alice safe until the stalker can be caught. But the stalker's behavior is escalating and he and his ex partner are afraid that Alice may end up like cases that haunt them, cases where the stalker finally killed their victim. They hope they can catch the stalker before things go way too far.

There were three potential suspects in my mind and that's made for a very scary story. But Alice made me even more worried for her because she'd do some really unwise things for a woman who has a stalker who is threatening to use cheese-wire on her. One minute she is freaking out so much she can't even answer the PI's questions and the next she's zipping off here and there, determined to not let the stalker keep her from doing what she wants to do. Priorities woman! How much will you accomplish if the stalker cheese-wires you?!

Published October 10th 2019

Thanks to Amazon Publishing UK and NetGalley for this ARC.
Profile Image for Sumit RK.
333 reviews443 followers
November 20, 2019
It seemed like an ordinary Wednesday until the phone rang. A mysterious caller is threatening journalist Alice Henderson who dismisses it as a hoax. But the next Wednesday, the stalker makes another move—and it becomes clear that this is all about Alice. Alice is determined not to give in to fear, but with every passing Wednesday the warnings escalate, until it’s not only Alice but also her family in the stalker’s sights. As her stalker closes in, can Alice uncover his identity?

The story begins well and has enough twists until the end. The story alternates between the present and the past and was intriguing from the start as the truth gradually emerged over who and why Alice was being stalked and hidden secrets start getting uncovered.

This story is told from three people’s points of view, Alice, the private investigator Matthew Hill and a mysterious narrator "Him". I Will Make You Pay is a well-written story that is a bit slow to start, but it gathers momentum as the story moves forward. The principal characters are all written though there are not many credible suspects to go around.

After the halfway mark, the story gets sidetracked by too many subplots: (Alice’s story with her mother, Matthew’s interactions with his daughter and another client, etc). They didn’t really add anything to the story, especially to the main stalker storyline but in fact, distracted from it. I wish there were more encounters with the stalker instead, who rarely made an appearance until towards the end. As a result, the book felt lacking in genuinely scary moments. I could guess the stalker quite early, as a result of which the ending of the novel felt flat to me.

Having said that, I really liked the stalker theme. The "HIM" chapters, added a lot of intrigue to the final reveal. Overall, I enjoyed reading I Will Make You Pay as the story keeps moving at a brisk pace which many good twists along the way. If you like mysteries, you will enjoy this one. Three and a half stars.

Many thanks to the publishers Amazon Publishing UK and NetGalley for the ARC.
October 21, 2019
EXCERPT: True panic is rising now. Sometimes, at night, I struggle to breathe through my nose - especially during the hay fever season. I start to feel this deep, deep dread. What if my nose gets blocked now? If I can't breathe through my nose, I will simply suffocate. I will die. I look around this bleak and terrible space and imagine that this is where everything could end for me. I can feel my breathing quicken with my panicked thoughts and I tell myself that I have to find a way to calm myself. Have to keep my nose clear. You have to breathe, Alice.

And that is when he appears from an adjoining room. He's dressed all in black. Black trousers. Black jumper. Black gloves and some kind of black balaclava.

And this is when I realise that what I thought was fear before, was nothing of the sort. All those weeks - afraid of my stalker? That wasn't real fear.

I let out this strange animal noise, stifled through the gag as the dark figure sits on the high-backed chair across the room from me.

This is what real fear is.

ABOUT THIS BOOK: Every Wednesday, like clockwork, the terror returns.

MY THOUGHTS: I was all over the place with I Will Make You Pay....until the end. I just could not figure out who the stalker was. I had my suspicions, which wavered, but I WAS WRONG!

I Will Make You Pay is a bit of a slow burner to begin with, and it is not until Alice's past was revealed that I began to get really interested.

There were a couple of things that didn't quite 'gel' for me, however it was still a good read.

But the thing that interested me most was Teresa Driscoll's notes at the end of the book. I Will Make You Pay is based on three threatening phone calls she received when she was first starting out as a young journalist. Those calls came one week apart, each on the same day of the week. Thankfully her 'stalker' apologised. Alice's is not so kind. He has a score to settle.....

THE AUTHOR: Teresa Driscoll - a former BBC TV news presenter- is now an international #1 bestselling author of psychological suspense. She also writes women's fiction. During her long career as a journalist, Teresa worked for newspapers, magazines and television, including 15 years presenting the BBC TV news programme Spotlight. Covering crime for so long, she was deeply moved by the haunting impact on the relatives, the friends and the witnesses and it is those ripples she explores now in her darker fiction.

DISCLOSURE: Thank you to Amazon Publishing UK via NetGalley for providing me with a digital ARC of I Will Make You Pay by Teresa Driscoll for review. All opinions expressed in this review are my own personal opinions.

For an explanation of my rating system, please refer to my Goodreads.com profile page or the about page on sandysbookaday.com

This review and others are also published on Twitter, Amazon and my webpage https://sandysbookaday.wordpress.com/...
Profile Image for Joey R..
231 reviews275 followers
March 9, 2020
5.0 stars— I decided to read “I Will Make You Pay” by Teresa Driscoll because I was such a huge fan of “I Am Watching You”. I didn’t particularly like “The Friend”, but Driscoll’s first book was so good, I had to give her another chance. Boy, am I glad I did. “I Will Make You Pay” is told from multiple perspectives but primarily from the minds of the stalker and his victim. The main character, Alice, is a news reporter who begins receiving death threats from an unknown man at work. This obviously changes Alice’s life and as the threats keep coming, she gets more and more scared for her safety and takes as many precautions as possible to keep this madman from attacking or killing her. Driscoll does an unbelievable job of portraying the day to day life of a victim who is being stalked. She also keeps the identity of the stalker under raps from beginning to end which keeps this book moving at a very fast pace. If you throw in all of the twists and turns along with the inner workings of both her PI’s and the local police’s investigations you have a perfect thriller in my book. Driscoll is super talented, and I now considered myself a huge fan. I highly recommend this book for those of you who want a fast paced book that is unpredictable, realistic and very enjoyable.
Profile Image for Ceecee.
1,855 reviews1,369 followers
October 10, 2019
4 - 5 stars

I really enjoyed this book and had it not been for some reservations about the ending I would have given it 5 stars. The story was intriguing from the start as the truth gradually emerged over who and why Alice was being stalked. The author captured well the range of emotions that victims would go through as the threats to Alice escalated and her sense of paranoia and suspicion grew of those around her, as she felt increasingly vulnerable. I really liked that Alice’s overriding concern was for her sick mother and the love that Alice and her sister Leanne felt shone through clearly. There were times when the panic Alice felt were vividly portrayed, in particular there was a very scary scene on a train where the tension was palpable.

I really enjoyed the repeating characters from previous books although it’s perfectly possible to read this as a standalone . Matthew Hill, former police turned PI was involved as was now heavily pregnant DI Melanie Sanders and the friendship they shared was a nice element to the book. There were occasional flashes of dark humour, I was especially amused by the issues that one of Matthews clients had with European Lilliputians! Matthew’s kindness to this client was wonderful.

Throughout the book I had constant questions which I liked. I felt a range of emotions over the Him sections from terrible sadness to horror at what he must have suffered but also helplessness as you knew that there was nothing to stop the volcanic eruption of his rage. The storytelling was good - straightforward, nothing unnecessary and just got on with the narrative which I think is a major plus! I really like Teresa Driscoll’s books and thought this one was especially good.

Thanks to NetGalley and Amazon Publishing for an ARC
Profile Image for Jayme.
1,079 reviews1,649 followers
September 7, 2019
3.5 stars! (rounded down)

It seemed like an ordinary Wednesday until the phone rings.

Journalist Alice Henderson, hangs up, figuring that it is a hoax against her newspaper. But, the following Wednesday, there is another threat. One that makes it clear that Alice, and not the newspaper, is the target.

But, why? Does it have to do with her work at the paper? Or something from her past?

Her boyfriend Tom hires PI Matthew Hill, giving readers a chance to catch up with him, and DI Melanie Sanders, both recurring characters from previous novels. Don’t worry though- any of the books can be read as a stand alone, since the focus is always the Victim, and not the two characters tasked with helping them.

The good news for Alice…most stalkers are not killers.
The bad news…a lot of killers are stalkers first...

The warnings are escalating and yet, our relatable but flawed protagonist Alice, continues to make some questionable decisions, occasionally frustrating me, but...we wouldn’t have a story if she didn’t, right?

Although mostly narrated from Alice’s POV, we occasionally hear from “HIM”, the stalker. He has hated WEDNESDAYS for a long time-now it’s somebody else’s turn to dread WEDNESDAYS!

BUT WHO IS HE?

Author Teresa Driscoll, was a journalist for more than 25 years, and a BBC TV news presenter before turning her talents to writing fiction. This story was inspired by her own story when as young journalist starting out, she took a threatening call, three times, the same day each week. Fortunately for her, her calls ended with an apology on the third week, but her experience helped her to picture a scenario where that wouldn’t be the case, as the fear stayed with her much longer. This story helped her to examine that fear with a fictional story.

Available Oct. 10, 2019!

Thank You to NetGalley, Amazon Publishing UK, and Teresa Driscoll for the digital ARC I received in exchange for a candid review!
Profile Image for Amanda.
710 reviews233 followers
August 10, 2019
Alice a journalist is sent a threatening note that she will be cut by a cheese wire, but this is not the first note she has received and strangely it always occurs on a Wednesday. After several more threats, her husband Tom employs Matthew a private investigator to keep her safe and discover who the culprit is.

Mathew discovers that Alice is keeping her own secrets, is the stalker something to do with her past or has she upset someone regarding an article she has written.

The story alternates between the present time and the past. In the past we are introduced to a small boy living with his gran,he loves his gran and hates the fact that she has to leave him on his own one night a week, so that she can work in a care home. These chapters kept me engrossed and guessing what happened to this little chap!!

This is a very gripping book with plenty of twists and red herrings along the way. I constantly changed my mind who the stalker was.

Beautifully written with a mixture of suspense and a heart wrenching story of love for a mother who does not have much time left. When Alice describes the love she feels for her mother I could not help but tear up, at the strong bond between them.

Thank you to Netgalley for my copy in exchange for a review.
Profile Image for Liz.
1,915 reviews2,350 followers
October 1, 2019
This book is a delightfully creepy mystery. Alice is a reporter for the local weekly newspaper. First she gets a threatening phone call, then an odd “gift”. Every Wednesday something even more intimidating occurs. Whoever this stalker is, he knows a lot about her personal life. The police aren’t much help. She even hires a PI, Matthew Hill, to help guard her.

The book moves quickly and the author maintains a good sense of tension. But Alice never quite gelled as a real person for me. We hear from her in the present day, but also the stalker from when he was a young child.

The ending did catch me off guard, as I never cottoned to whom the stalker was. But I also felt somewhat cheated. There’s a red herring or two and certain events are not adequately explained.

My thanks to netgalley and Amazon Publishing for an advance copy of this book.
Profile Image for Lisa.
726 reviews
January 6, 2020
OH ALICE YOU ARE SUCH A FOOL!!
Well where do I start with this book I am afraid one hit & I am outta here with this author, it was an intriguing premise that got me intrigued but it was a long haul from the start right to the finish, I wasn't invested in any of the characters so unlikeable & flawed that I had to grit my teeth at times just to get through the book. It wasn't a page turner the pacing & suspense never picked up the whole way through, to say this was a thriller is an understatement it just plodded along at a snails pace read at your own peril!!

Wednesday was like any other Wednesday until Alice Henderson a journalist started receiving threats by an unknown stalker, her boyfriend Tom decides to hire a private detective to solve the case Matthew Hill who has demons of his own thinks it could be a former boyfriend who was in jail , but there is no motive its when Alice receives a box of flowers that are her mothers favourite that things seem to send Alice into panic mode as she thinks her mother is in danger she is in a nursing home. All I will say from here on is that I picked the protagonist 10 minutes into the book was just a ho hum read.
Profile Image for Louise Wilson.
2,626 reviews1,605 followers
October 5, 2019
Journalist Alice Henderson receives a threatening phone call one Wednesday afternoon. She believes it to be a random phone call that's not meant for her. But each Wednesday she gets another phone call with a threat from her stalker. The police are unable to give Alice the the protection she requires, so her boyfriend hires a private investigator. At first she thought that the threats might be against the newspaper she works for, but she now realises that they are more personal. She also worries that her love ones might be in danger.

This story is told from three peoples point of views, Alice, the private investigator and and "Him" who we naturally assume is the perpetrator. "Him" side of the story unfolds slowly as we learn about him from when he was just a child living with his grandmother. Alice's story is told in the present day starting g when she recieved the first threatening phone call at work. The timeline goes back and forth from the past to the present day. The pace is well set with lots of twists. I was intrigued to find out who "Him" was and why Alice had been targeted. I was hooked straight away. This is a well written story that you will read quickly as you will not want to put it down.

I would like to thank NetGalley, Amazon Publishing UK and the author Teresa Driscoll for my ARC in exchange for an honest review.
Profile Image for Mark.
1,077 reviews
September 27, 2019

A good honest down the line mystery psychological whodunit
Alice, a journo ( who it has to be said is extremely unlucky ) is being stalked, BUT not your ‘common or garden’ stalking we all know now but very specifically on every Wednesday, and the stalking ‘events’ are getting more and more troublesome
Enter a cast with a past ( not bad! ) and a host of ‘could it be’s’ and the book leads you down a good few paths until we find out who the culprit is and why they are targeting Alice
The stalker has a dark past, a very sad past and Alice also has a past, equally upsetting for her and its one of those books where your likes/dislikes of characters zig zag round from chapter to chapter
Told in the past ( by the stalker ) and the present ( by all ) its a good, solid, easy to pick up and read story that includes lovely descriptions of Devon and Dorset along with the at times tense story
7.5/10
4 Stars
Profile Image for Sandra Hoover.
1,149 reviews179 followers
October 9, 2019
Journalist Alice Henderson answers a threatening phone call while in the newspaper office one Wednesday. While it unsettles her, she brushes it off as just another newspaper crank caller. However, when she's threatened again the next Wednesday . . . and the next, she is forced to admit that she's being targeted by a stalker to the point that her life is totally disrupted by paranoia, frustration, and fear. The question is why?

I Will Make You Pay is an entertaining suspense thriller that is told through multiple points of view - the main one being Alice. Chapters alternate between past and present, but it's the past chapters that I found most chilling as they come from the view point of "Him" - first as a lonely, abused child and later as a dysfunctional adult. It quickly becomes clear that the abuse the villain suffered as a child fed the monster within until he could no longer keep it leashed.

The author does a great job of building tension by utilizing short chapters with an escalating pace. I raced through the first part of this book seeking answers. While I haven't read other books by Driscoll, I understand there are a couple of reoccurring characters appearing in this book but it definitely reads as a standalone. While I enjoyed reading I Will Make You Pay, I was less than thrilled by the reveal of the villain as well as the hurried way in which the ending scene played out. I had figured it out much earlier which is okay if the ending works for me. Unfortunately, I just wasn't sold on it. I ended what was a great, tension-filled read up to the climax feeling let down, and therefore I deducted a star. Having said that, I think many suspense thriller readers will love this one and highly encourage you to give it a shot.

*Many thanks to publisher Thomas & Mercer for an arc of this book via Netgalley
**Reviewed at: Cross My Heart Reviews
Profile Image for Bharath.
546 reviews424 followers
May 8, 2020
I read Teresa Driscoll’s ‘I am watching you’, ‘The Friend’ last year and liked them. This book is fast paced, holds the suspense till the end and is well written.

Alice is a journalist who starts being stalked. This harassment takes various forms – calls, break-ins and worse, typically on Wednesdays. The police is helpful but there is very little to go on to start with. As Alice becomes more fearful, her boyfriend Tom who is very supportive urges that they also look beyond law enforcement for help. Private investigator Matthew Hill is engaged who other than investigating potential suspects and motive, also stays close to Alice to be protective. Alice not being entirely forthcoming about her background and previous relationships makes things difficult initially. The threats also seem to be directed at her mother who is in critical care. Her mother and sister are very worried after a fire at Alice’s rented apartment.

The book narration shuffles between timelines – the present, Alice’s past, as well as the past of her stalker. The writing is natural and honest – sticking to the essence of the story, and not introducing any superfluous material.

A very relaxing and engrossing read – certainly recommended.

My rating: 4.25 / 5.
Profile Image for Linda Strong.
3,882 reviews1,625 followers
October 10, 2019
Journalist Alice Henderson is being stalked. Hang up calls. Telephone threats. Someone was in her house. Someone has videotaped her mother who is in the nursing home. Who is terrorizing her? At first she thinks it's just a hoax.. a prank ... but then things turn deadly.

Her boss wants her to take time off until this is resolved. Her co-worker, Jack, takes to following her around himself. Her boyfriend, Tom, hires Matthew Hill, a private investigator, to follow her only on Wednesdays ... which is the only day of the week that these freaky things happen.

Matthew is working closely with the police, and all become really concerned when they discover that Alice isn't really Alice. Who is she really? Who .. or what .. is she hiding from? And why on Wednesdays?

This is a suspenseful nail biter from the very first to the very end. The characters are finely drawn, credible. The book is told by two people .. .one, of course, is Alice. The other is from the stalker, telling his life story from a young age through today. The ending is explosive!

Many thanks to the author / Amazon Publishing UK / Netgalley for the digital copy of this Psychological - Crime Fiction. Read and reviewed voluntarily, opinions expressed here are unbiased and entirely my own.
Profile Image for Julie (JuJu).
554 reviews187 followers
December 16, 2019
“I Will Make You Pay” is a creepy mystery. A stalker who pursues and taunts his prey every Wednesday. Why is Wednesday so special?

It’s told from varied POV’s, during several timelines. I was drawn in immediately by the first chilling phone call Alice received from her stalker.

The writing was enjoyable and the summary was intriguing. We were given plenty of suspects to keep us wondering....Who is it? I never narrowed down my list to predict the stalker, so I was surprised when he was revealed.

My biggest issue with the book was the victim—Alice. Her foolish behavior and ridiculous decisions seemed uncharacteristic of a seasoned and intelligent journalist...who supposedly feared for her life. So I was left wondering “WTH are you thinking”...A LOT! And OMG....how can one woman be so unlucky?

Thank you to NetGalley, Thomas & Mercer and Teresa Driscoll for this digital ARC, in exchange for my honest review!

My Rating: 3 ⭐️’s
Published: October 10th 2019 by Thomas & Mercer
Pages: 320

Recommend: Undecided on this fast-paced mystery

#IWillMakeYouPay #NetGalley

You can find the author at:
www.teresadriscoll.com
Twitter: @teresadriscoll
Facebook: www.facebook/TeresaDriscollAuthor
Profile Image for Monnie.
1,367 reviews755 followers
September 19, 2019
Time was when extreme emotional distress to me meant not being able to have my morning coffee - you know, that stuff that magically turns you into something close to human - before heading out to get my annual blood test that requires fasting. But reading as many books as I have (75 so far this year), I've found something else: realizing it's 5 minutes before bedtime and I need 20 more to finish the book that's got me on the edge of my seat.

This is one such book. And yes, I lugged my Kindle up the stairs and sat in our computer room as usual - the last thing I check before hitting the sack is email - and finished it. Then - mostly because of a near-end twist - I couldn't get to sleep right away. Ah well - it was worth it.

As a mostly former journalist, it was easy for me to identify with the main character, Alice Henderson, also a journalist - with one happy exception: I've dealt with a few folks who gave me a royal chewing out over something I'd written (or failed to write), but never in my entire career did anyone threaten my life. Alice isn't so fortunate; and while first phone call mostly just shook her up, the next thing that happened left her so frightened that her boyfriend hired a private investigator.

It's pretty clear someone is out to get Alice, but who? Could it be someone who didn't like something she wrote? A person from her past, or even a co-worker? That's what P.I. and former cop Matthew Hill wants to find out, but because he's no longer on the force, he can't be an official part of the investigation. That's mitigated a bit by Hill's relationship with a very pregnant detective Melanie Sanders, his former partner who's now assigned to Alice's case. Needless to say, the whole thing becomes a race to find Alice's stalker - if that's what he or she is - before something more sinister happens.

Chapters switch to show snippets of three characters - Alice, Hill and an unidentified boy known only as "Him." Each chapter adds another dimension to the story until the very end, when everything comes together with that aforementioned twist. All told, a very well done and, dare I say, exciting book that I expect will do well. Many thanks to the publisher, via NetGalley, for the opportunity to read an advance copy.
Profile Image for Stacey.
870 reviews163 followers
October 11, 2019
There's an insurance commercial that makes me laugh when I see it. It's on the set of a scary movie and girls are screaming and running toward the bad guy. A voice says, "If you're in a horror movie, you make poor decisions." Isn't that the truth! Anyway, as I began I'll Make You Pay I had flashes of that commercial when I found myself talking to my ipad, "What are you doing??" and "Don't do that!"

Alice is a journalist and she is passionate about her job. She starts getting disturbing calls once a week on Wednesdays. She becomes worried when the calls get increasingly more personal and is convinced she's being stalked. She and her boyfriend, Tom, decide to hire a private investigator to look into the calls and provide security for Alice. Matthew is the investigator and he works closely with a friend in the police department. Together they try to provide as much security as they can while trying to get leads on the stalker. In the mean time Alice takes time off work and spends time with her mother who lives in assisted care. I liked the compassion she had toward her mother through the novel and let old wounds heal when her sister offers her support. Despite Alice's attempts to distance herself, the stalker closes in.

The novel is told in alternating viewpoints which moves it along. One is Alice presently and dips into her past a bit. The second one starts out as a young boy living with his grandmother until he is an independent adult. Who is he? The great aspect of this novel is that there were numerous suspects that kept me guessing. Twists and turns with a 'wow!' ending. This is a great psychological thriller, a good pace, and with characters I cared about.

Thank you NetGalley, Thomas & Mercer, and Teresa Driscoll for an advanced copy.
Profile Image for Jayme.
1,079 reviews1,649 followers
September 6, 2019
3.5 stars!

It seemed like an ordinary Wednesday until the phone rings.

The good news for Alice…most stalkers are not killers.
The bad news…a lot of killers are stalkers first...

BUT WHO IS HE?

Profile Image for Sarah.
565 reviews142 followers
October 31, 2019
I Will Make You Pay is a thriller about a journalist named Alice that starts receiving threatening calls and gifts on Wednesdays. I’ve been trying to branch out my reading a little more because I’ve been feeling a little burned out on SFF these days, but this book made me remember why I don’t read thrillers often.

The thing is, I think in order for a thriller to work you have to care about or connect with the character to some degree (to create suspense). Thrillers tend to focus heavily on secrets and twisty turny plots, so it’s not often I find characters in a thriller that I either love or don’t feel like card board cut outs. I also have grown very tired of damsels in distress, and we are reminded at every turn that Alice is a damsel in distress, between Matt, the PI who basically acts as her body guard, and Tom, the boyfriend, and Jack, the coworker, I never at any point in time felt like Alice was capable of sticking up for or defending herself. It was kind of frustrating.

In Gone Girl, Amazing Amy is incredibly despicable, and I wouldn’t say I cared about her, but that woman is absolutely not a damsel in distress. Those are the kind of women I want to read about. No matter how awful they might be. Any sign at all that Alice was actually trying to protect herself might have helped but she just refused.

I’m sorry if I sound like I’m being harsh or insensitive- I can absolutely see how a person who was being stalked would feel and is absolutely powerless in that situation, but I just would have liked to have seen something that said she was thinking of her own safety, either giving in and letting the PI act as her bodyguard, or actually purchasing that pepper spray she browsed online, or signing up for a self defense class. But she doesn’t do anything at all.

Anyway. I was worried the whole time that I knew very early on who the stalker was and I didn’t- so it had that going for it. There were also a few surprising plot twists along the way. (Content Warning: pedophilia abounds in this plot. It’s not graphic, but it is disturbing and I could have lived without it.)

Anyway- I skimmed a lot of parts towards the end that I just didn’t care about, Alice’s musings about her childhood, Matt’s musings about past cases. I’m still not sure why we were shown the whole Ian subplot. It was great that Matt was such a nice guy, but really it had NOTHING to do with the actual plot.

Finally, the line “I will use cheese wire on you” was introduced early on and repeated frequently. It made me laugh… which is not what it was supposed to do, but I just kept thinking to myself, and how the hell is that going to work? Cheese wire? It’s inventive I guess but I really don’t think that it’s all that threatening. And something about it is not very eloquently said? I don’t know.

Anyway- not a bad read but not a great read either. Thank you to the publisher and NetGalley for sending an eARC for review.
Profile Image for Nadene  (Totally Addicted to Reading).
1,218 reviews171 followers
November 17, 2019
When I saw the title and read the synopsis, I envisioned a series of sinister, frightening, and chilling events. I went into the story with expectations of a fast-paced thriller, which would have me on the edge of my seat and create a feeling of fear for the characters involved. Alas, I experienced none of these feelings. Instead, I got a slow moving mystery, which kept me guessing, minus the thrills and suspense.

The story began on an exciting note. It was a typical Wednesday for Journalist Alice Henderson, but that was until she received a threatening phone call, which would turn the life she worked so hard to maintain upside down. Since then every Wednesday like clockwork her stalker strikes. Who wants to make her pay and why?

Told from POVs of Alice, the stalker and Michael, the Private Investigator who was hired by Alice’s boyfriend to investigate the stalking and protect Alice. It gave me a front-row seat into the lives and minds of these characters. The stalker’s POV focused on his past as a child while Alice and Michael’s POV was based on current events.

I found the stalker’s POV interesting. Despite having the love of his grandmother, he came face to face with horrors that no child should have to encounter. As a result, he became mentally unstable.

Alice had her share of pain in the past. I admired her ability to bounce back from the tragic event in her past. I had a problem with some of her choices, putting herself in unnecessary danger and placing those around her at risk.

I am at a loss how Michael’s viewpoint added to the story. His interactions with his wife and daughter had nothing to do with the plot, so I am not sure why it was included in the story.

The stalker was on my list of suspects, so I was not surprised when his identity was revealed. However, I felt cheated by the revelation his identity. Cheated, because I was hoping it would be dramatic, instead it was unimpressive.

Narration
Steve West and Elizabeth Knowelden narrated the story. This is my first time listening to both narrators. I enjoyed listening to the female narrator. Her female voices were distinct, and she brought the characters to life. The male narrator did a great job with the male voices, but I was not a fan of his female voices. The voices were not distinct and they sounded like an old lady speaking.

Conclusion/Recommendation
To conclude, although it wasn’t what I expected, I thought the story was well written. I would recommend this book to fans of slow burn mysteries.

Profile Image for Dee Arr.
734 reviews87 followers
September 30, 2019
Right from the first page, “I Will Make You Pay” weaves suspense and mystery themes in a tight web, pulling you into the book. The story is primarily told by Alice, who shares the spotlight with a private detective (Matthew) and the person stalking Alice. There is plenty of time spent allowing readers to get to know these three characters, and we learn their good and bad points as well as the motivations for their actions.

Author Teresa Driscoll drops a few cleverly masked clues throughout the book, giving readers the opportunity to solve the mystery (I missed them). The book mixes the past and the present allowing the storytellers to relate the bits and pieces of their lives as the tale races to the climax. I liked the mix of suspense and thriller aspects and I tried in vain to figure out the identity of the stalker.

Few books have all the elements in place as this one does. Ms. Driscoll has crafted an excellent story, with no contrived or unbelievable scenes. Set aside some time for this one. If you’re like me, you won’t want to put it down until the last page. Five stars.

My thanks to NetGalley, Thomas and Mercer, and Amazon Publishing UK for an advance ebook of this title.
Profile Image for Rose.
251 reviews103 followers
October 2, 2019
Thank you to Amazon Publishing UK and NetGalley for my advance copy of “I Will Make You Pay”, by author
Teresa Driscoll , for my honest review.

This is the first book by Teresa Driscoll that I have read, one which I thoroughly enjoyed, and I will read more of her titles in the future.

The book was a Thriller/Mystery, and was a style that was easy to read, and caught my attention right away. It also kept my interest straight through to the last page.

It was a bit of a creepy story, with a good mystery aspect to it. The character development and storyline was done very well.

The main character Alice who is a reporter for the local weekly newspaper gets threatening phone calls on Wednesdays. This trend continues as the storyline develops.

If you enjoy a good thriller/mystery and have not read books by this author I would recommend you check this one out!
Profile Image for Jill McGill.
223 reviews180 followers
September 30, 2019
"Every Wednesday, like clockwork, the terror returns."

Now that's a psychological thriller! Talk about having your life turned upside down from one threatening phone call... well, that's just what happened to Journalist Alice Henderson. I Will Make You Pay is a roller coaster thrill ride that is dark and twisted, so get ready for a gripping ride of your life.

I have read other books by Teresa Driscoll and have truly enjoyed them, and now I'm very pleased to say that this one is another great read. I'm definitely looking forward to her next book!

*Many thanks to NetGalley & Amazon Publishing UK for this ARC, all opinions are my own.
Profile Image for Ceecee.
1,855 reviews1,369 followers
July 30, 2019
4 - 5 stars

Profile Image for Bridgett.
Author 17 books404 followers
October 17, 2019
So, this book took me awhile to read...and normally, that's a bad thing. This time, though, it was my obsession with playing 'The Oregon Trail' with my daughter that caused the delay.

This is the fourth Teresa Driscoll novel I've read, and I'd say it falls somewhere in the middle--not as good as I Am Watching You, but far better than The Friend and The Promise.

I truly enjoyed the beginning of this story, but it quickly became bogged down with too many meaningless secondary plots, although I will admit to smiling about Ian. And because there were so few characters, and extremely limited red herrings, it was quite easy to determine whodunit. I actually called it within the first 5 chapters.

In the author's note at the conclusion, we learn that Ms. Driscoll went through a stalking incident during her years as a journalist. Thankfully for her, there was no escalation. But she makes it very clear, via her descriptions of Alice's torment, that she knows exactly how having a stalker feels.

Overall, a fairly average story, but one worth reading...particularly if the idea of a stalker freaks you out.

**Thanks to the publisher for an advance copy in exchange for my candid review.
Profile Image for Michelle.
1,177 reviews114 followers
September 11, 2019
It’s just an ordinary Wednesday when Journalist Alice Henderson gets a phone call that she is going to be cut with a cheese wire. She first thinks it is a hoax. But when other things happen the following Wednesdays. Alice fears for her life. With Police have little resources, her lawyer boyfriend Tom hires a private investigator to find the culprit.
During the investigation, secrets are unturned about Alice not her real name. she changed it due to her ex-boyfriend jailed for child grooming. She doesn’t realise that he has been realised from jail until the police tell her. She then thinks that its her ex Alex doing things to punish her for what happened to him.
I will make you pay by Theresa Driscoll is the second book from the author that I have read. It is a fast-paced intense thriller with a lot of red herrings. I did enjoy this as the author kept you guessing who was stalking Alice. But, two thirds in I did guess who it and I did was expecting a bit more from the ending. But, still worth the read.
Profile Image for Kate R.
894 reviews38 followers
October 6, 2019
*3.5 stars*
This was my first book by this author and it was definitely a page turner! The book immediately opens up with journalist, Alice, answering her work phone to someone on a voice changer saying “I am going to use a cheese wire on you.” It’s a Wednesday, and what follows is more Wednesdays filled with a stalker trying to scare Alice. Alice is rightfully terrified and is trying to find out who this could possibly be. Her boyfriend, Tom, involves a PI named Matthew. There are alternating chapters from Alice’s POV, Matthew’s and then Him, which we assume is the stalker, and paints the picture of his reasons for doing this. I thought the writing was great, pace was good and characters were average. You could guess the stalker pretty easily, but there were definitely some twists thrown in there. It was entertaining and a quick read, so I would recommend it.

* ARC provided by NetGalley and the publisher in exchange for an honest review. Thank you!
Displaying 1 - 30 of 1,200 reviews

Can't find what you're looking for?

Get help and learn more about the design.