Start by marking “Chase Darkness with Me: How One True-Crime Writer Started Solving Murders” as Want to Read:
Chase Darkness with Me: How One True-Crime Writer Started Solving Murders

Chase Darkness with Me: How One True-Crime Writer Started Solving Murders

Have you ever wanted to solve a murder? Gather the clues the police overlooked. Put together the pieces. Identify the suspect.

Journalist Billy Jensen spent 15 years investigating unsolved murders, fighting for the families of victims. Every story he wrote had one thing in common - it didn't have an ending. The killer was still out there.

But after the sudden death of a fr
Audible Audio, Original recording
Published April 11th 2019 by Audible Studios

To ask other readers questions about Chase Darkness with Me, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Chase Darkness with Me

Renee (itsbooktalk.com)

I thought this was fascinating and the narration by Billy really engaging, review coming soon
Gabe
Apr 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
I came into this book with no expectations. I've listened to My Favorite Murder since the beginning and was familar with Jensen as a result of the podcast (which he was a guest on during the GSK drama) and the book he helped complete after Michelle McNamara's death (I'll be Gone in the Dark).

In this book, Jensen takes the reader through his childhood, when his father would show him newspaper articles about criminals being caught. This was the beginning of his love of true crime, which lead to h
Jade Wright
Apr 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Billy Jensen is fantastic - need I say more? No.. but I will.
Chase Darkness With me is an in depth look into investigating / solving murder cases. It's extremely personal, inspiring, motivational, gut-wrenching and devastating all rolled into one.

He shares his story of getting to know Karen and Georgia (if you don't know who they are.... I have no words,) Paul Holes and Michelle McNamara. I read I'll Be Gone in the Dark last year and I feel as though Jensen's book is a great companion to it as
Jennifer James
Apr 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Inspiring, refreshing and raw. This book will bring you to tears, make you laugh, and reignite your passion of true crime. Billy’s honesty about his struggles and failures of solving cold cases is sometimes crushing but the victories and way he writes about Michelle McNamara/GSK really brings this book full circle.

The addendum is inspiring and very instructive, and the ending will give you full body chills.
Amy Morgan
Apr 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I was so excited to get an advance of this book true crime addict that I am and it did not disappoint! Billy Jensen lets us see how he got started with his obsession of looking into unsolved crimes and I loved every minute of it! It was also deeply touching reading about his friendship with Michelle McNamara who has gone from this world much too soon. Billy’s passion and dedication to helping victims is very evident throughout this book. Thank you Billy for sharing your stories with us and showi ...more
ElphaReads
I first became familiar with Billy Jensen when I was reading I'LL BE GONE IN THE DARK, as he helped finish the book after Michelle McNamara passed away. I've also heard him speak as a guest on various podcasts, and on his own podcast THE MURDER SQUAD. It was pretty clear when I heard that he'd written his own book and was going to perform it in an Audible exclusive that I would be getting that book. And after waiting not so patiently, I finally got CHASE DARKNESS WITH ME on publication day.

Billy
Natalie Alsis-Benninghoff
Realistically, I would give this 3.5 stars. I really enjoy Billy on the Podcast “The Murder Squad” with the Mirderino’s collective imaginary boyfriend, Paul Holes, bit I found myself really put off at times during this book.

I loved the parts where Billy talked about his father and how his father fed his love of true crime and his sense of wanting justice for victims. I admire that he used so much of his own money on targeted ads meant to help identify murder suspects. I appreciate his love of t
Crystal Zavala
Apr 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: audio
Admittedly, I went into this audio book with zero expectations. Initially I tried to order a physical copy before I discovered that it is being released as only an audio book at this time. I am an avid reader and podcast listener (predominately true crime).

I discovered Billy Jensen because of My Favorite Murder (#SSDGM) and Michelle McNamara's book, I'll Be Gone In the Dark. Billy Jensen is a crime writer and citizen detective. Billy Jensen and Michelle McNamara were friends and colleagues in th
Joi Keen
Apr 20, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
After reading I'll Be Gone in the Dark and Evil Has a Name, I knew Chase Darkness with Me was the next step I needed to take. The fact that he was instrumental in finishing Michelle McNamara's manuscript made it intriguing even before the rest of his premise. I must say I am impressed with his passion for helping to solve unsolved crimes. I also found his dedication to creating an army of citizen-helpers to help police departments make a dent in their unsolved crimes. It was an interesting liste ...more
Kit Heiner
Apr 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I absolutely loved this book. I devoured it. It spoke to my soul as a true crime junkie, but its so much more than a just true crime book. It’s also is truly a story of compassion and doing good in the world. The story has everything, humanity drips off of every page. I laughed, I cried(bawled), I felt heartbroken, I felt inspired. It’s an absolute must read for anyone that read I’ll Be Gone in the Dark.
Maura Jones
Apr 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I came to this book through My Favorite Murder and I'm so glad I did. I really enjoyed Billy's narration and perspective. It's really nice to hear the motivation of someone outside of law enforcement to help solve cold cases in a way that seems very accessable to readers. The fact that the last chapter of the audiobook is a guide to getting started being a citizen detective yourself really speaks to why Billy does what he does, to get justice for victims.
Brooke
Apr 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was so good! I was enthralled by Billy’s work on unsolved cases. It’s amazing the help he was able to provide to the police and his ideas of how to help utilize baby boomers as they retire are really interesting. If you like true crime, give this a listen!
Steve Nolan
I think the addendum scared me. Idk man, the whole self-service murder investigation shit seems scary to me. (not that I'd rather police were doing it, police bad. But it does seem more of a state and/or licensed activity.)
Vanessa Lobato
Apr 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of the most moving, amazing, and brilliant books I've ever read. I found myself with tears in my eyes many times while reading this book. I would sign up for Billy's online sleuth group anyday in a heartbeat! Michelle McNamara would be proud.
Abby Stevens
Apr 22, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I thoroughly enjoyed this book! The subject matter was captivating, and I was particularly struck by his ethos of justice and connection—regardless of how he may view it, his work is really entirely wrapped up in the human connections we share.
Andy Plonka
Apr 21, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: src
I was impressed by the author's tenacity to stick with unsolved cases and his ingenuity in using present day techniques to revisit the case files on unsolved crimes without any other reward than the satisfaction of helping the families of crime victims.
Silverluna
Apr 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
OMG!!! I couldn't stop listening to this one once I started. Is there a 10 star option?... LOL...
Jackie Canapino
Apr 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Every true-crime fan should add this to their list!
Sinclair  Duncan-Mercer
If you are a fan of true crime this is the book for you! It will make you laugh, cry, cheer and want to solve a crime yourself!
Al
Apr 22, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Really interesting to hear the process and about the cases he has worked on. Sometimes it was difficult to keep up with all of the different cases.
Tricia Bentley
Apr 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Not a big fan of audiobooks but this one was spectacular. I found myself not even paying attention to how much time was left in each chapter( which I normally do for audiobooks).
Krista Park
Shelves: memoir, nonfiction
True crime. Well written narrative on why one gets into the field. Beautifully written. Glad I spent every minute with the book.
Fern
Apr 16, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting tale. But tone teeters on bombastic. Persisted because of the true crime element. And there is the engaging idea that crowd sourcing can work for crime solving.
Lacy Stafford
Apr 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved this! So good!
Jennifer Baratta
Apr 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Review on www.Audible.com please listen to this book.
Carrol
Apr 11, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good read from Billy a Jensen on how he got started with true crime and instruction for others looking to follow in his path.
Danny Gissing
Pretty good listen
Karen Moll
Apr 20, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
loved the stories about Michelle MacNamara and then how he wove the development of that story in with the work he was doing.
Danielle
Apr 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is exceptionally well done. It's refreshing and relatable because Billy's passion for justice is evident in his voice and words.
Gena Koehler
Apr 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: true-crime
I usually hate audiobooks, but I started an audible membership just to read this book.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »