Start by marking “Lions of the Sky” as Want to Read:
Lions of the Sky

Lions of the Sky

In the world of fighter pilots, the most alpha of the alpha, competition is everything and the stakes are impossibly high. A Top Gun for the new millennium, LIONS OF THE SKY propels us into a realm in which friendship, loyalty, and skill are tested, battles won and lost in an instant, and lives irrevocably changed in the time it takes to plug in your afterburners.

Sam Rich

Published April 12th 2019 by Braveship Books

To ask other readers questions about Lions of the Sky, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Lions of the Sky

Start your review of Lions of the Sky
Skip
May 31, 2020 rated it it was ok
Basically, you're reading the movie "Top Gun" without the eye candy. The book blurb is a very poor summary of this novel, which is ostensibly about women trying to become naval aviators, and the extra challenges facing them because of their gender. Overall, I thought the book was weak in character development, weaker in plot, until the stunning air combat in the South China Sea at the end. The novel could have been significantly improved with a greater focus on the activities of the rogue Chines ...more
Cheryl
Aug 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
As a fan of aviation/military novels, I really enjoyed this book. It will leave you on the edge of your seat from the beginning to the end. Not to sound cliché but this book does instantly remind you of Top Gun. Yet, you could saw this is the female version. Keeley is the perfect female lead.

She could hold her own against the men in this book. In fact, she gave them back more then she received. However, she had the skills to back up her cockiness. Speaking of the men in this book; I liked each
Monica
Jul 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Glen
Apr 15, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: firstreads, war
I won this book in a goodreads drawing.

A feminist Top gun as female pilots train to be fighter aces while China is gearing up to go to war over some islands in the South Pacific.

Realistic.
John
May 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
😁😁 OUTSTANDING 😁😁

This was quite simply one of the best first novels I have ever read. This is one of my favorite genre to read. I’m a veteran myself, not navy but the Air Force. The descriptions of flight just brought a smile to my face. WELL DONE MR. CHIERICI, Well Done!! Please get started on your next novel!
Carol Zeissner (kindle)
Apr 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Lions in the Sky

I highly recommend this book to everyone interested in tactical air. A fast paced story with good character development, twists and turns my only disappointed that the read was over!
Waiting for more from Mr Chieirci, the characters developed in this book have more to tell.
Viviane Crystal
Jul 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Being a Top Gun fighter pilot is not for the timid. It’s fiercely difficult; that’s why these men and women are being tested and trained to be fighter pilots are going through real and simulated scenarios. The action of lack of action can mean instant injury and/or death. Enter the cockpit of an F/A-18 Super Hornet and feel the force of gravity on take-off. This team are not loners; they’re highly dependent on each other for survival. Sam Richardson is the leader. Sam’s dealing with a problem; h ...more
William Bentrim
Jul 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Lions of the Sky by Paco Chierici
If you are a fan of air combat books or ever watched the movie Top Gun three or more times then you MUST read this book. Slammer is a Naval aviation flight instructor. He is tired of instructing and wants to get back to the fleet. He is coerced into taking one more class and it has two (gasp) female aviators in it. Results are not predictable.
Slammer and the other “good ole’ boys” are not overly thrilled with the integration of women into the fraternity of fight
Michael La Guardia
Jul 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
What a fun book! Chierici puts you into the cockpit of an F-18 Super Hornet and lets you feel all of the g-force of the ride. He crafts a great story, but also brings in the contemplation of policy issues that touch the real lives of soldiers such as what actually happens when you have men and women serving together on the front lines of combat.

What tips this book beyond just a fun read for me are two points. (1) Chierici has a fine command of the language. His prose is evocative and his imager
Olivia
Apr 19, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Lions of the Sky is an excellent military action adventure novel that focuses on the elite world of naval aviation. The plot is fast-paced and engaging, and the author's descriptions are so vivid they feel almost cinematic. And while it is not an intense psychological character study, the chatacters feel authentic to the world they inhabit.

If you are like me and have an overactive imagination, and/or have a particular fascination with military aircraft and combat flight operations, you will enj
Miriam Downey
Jul 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
Read my full review here: http://mimi-cyberlibrarian.blogspot.c...

Paco Chierici is an airline pilot and a former Navy fighter pilot. His first novel, Lions in the Sky, plays upon his experience with many real-life touches that adds a great deal of authenticity to this story of the threats posed in the South China Sea.
Here is the summary from the back cover:
“In the world of fighter pilots, the most alpha of the alpha, competition is everything and the stakes are impossibly high. A Top Gun for the
Sean Canfield
Jun 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I'm a retired F-16 driver and I have to tell you, Paco did a great job bringing me back into the world of fighter pilots. He gave depth to his characters making them easy to like or possibly hate depending on the reader's interpretation of that character, but I swear I've seen some of these fictional characters walking around my squadron's of old. Some scenes (no spoilers), like Crud or flying sorties, he did really well explaining complex situations with terms I think everyday non-fighter pilot ...more
ANTHONY MYLONAKIS
Sep 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I've just finished reading this amazing book! Still shaken by the excitement! I didn't even stop for lunch, the words were my food, the adrenaline even for a 'chair borne' aviation enthusiast like myself has kept me on the edge! I didn't want it to end! The way the 'technical' aspects of the novel were described is perfect! Due to my background i am familiar with most of the things so vividly described! But the book is not addressed only to the 'initiated', not only to the 'chosen few' who were ...more
Lori
Sep 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is a fascinating read! We begin the story with a commando on a boat in the South China Sea. Once his inflatable craft docks on the beach, he begins his operation.

The following day takes us to Virginia Beach, Virginia and we are flying low with engaging characters. Cruising along in a 1966 427 Shelby AC Cobra has always appealed to me and I was immediately intrigued by the characters Slammer and Quick.

The cockpit drama is a strong focal point.

A mix of humor and well-placed use of similes co
Jen Linstroth
Apr 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Adrenaline Junkies Get In Line!

A page turning deep dive into the closed world of Navy Fighter Pilots. Paco Chierici uses his decades of experience to nail down difficult characters and impossible action, bringing the reader to places few will ever know. For those of us who have lived this life the book triggers powerful memories of times past and friends long unseen. Anyone who has ever considered strapping on a high performance fighter needs to read this book.
Lovely Loveday
Lions of the Sky is a fast-paced military thriller that will keep you on the edge of your seat from the beginning to the end. Perfect for fans of aviation and military novels or the movie Top Gun. A captivating story that is full of twists and turns, engaging characters, thrilling suspense, and action. Chierici takes you into the closed world of Navy Fighter Pilots taking readers to places very few will ever now. Lions of the Sky is perfect for fans of action military thrillers.
Thomas Lennek
Jun 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Better than the movie: Top Gun

Fast moving story, complete with finely drawn characters in the high octane, dangerous world of U.S. Navy Aviation. The author clearly has "been there, done that." Flying aircraft in military aviation is inherently dangerous, readers should look closely at the last 2 pages to see proof.
Peter Riva
Nov 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Paco is the real deal. A talented Navy fighter pilot, therefore expert on all technical matters of the book - and then he spins it all into a fascinating tale - a thriller as well as a deep look into what it takes to be both a Navy pilot as well as the system into which these fearless pilots must fit - and fit they do, only just. Authentic in every sense of the word!
Norman Lavallee
Jan 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Very impressive book! Far more realistic than Top Gun in describing the world of naval aviators. It is a combination of very well conceived and fleshed out characters with an accurate description of the daily lives of carrier pilots and RIOs. I really felt I was in the F-18s with the crews all along. It had me hooked from the first chapter and I was sorry to see it end.
Joe
Jun 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This author has promise

I really liked this first naval aviation thriller. You are literally living the naval aviation life in this book, what with all the fine flying detail and more. I await the sequel from the mastermind of "Speed and Angels" and "Last of the Dogfighters".
Karl
Sep 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Nice war story

This novel examines the juxtaposition of personal feelings, technical ability, and killer instinct as a fresh caught Nugget comes of age. Also contains an excellent dogfight sequence.
Mitchell Boling
May 06, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Great Air Combat

This was a great story which was very captivating through to the end. It was very interesting reading about fighter pilot training as well. Love the air combat scenes. Great read.
Steve
Apr 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
I like it.

Pretty good book. Some of the events were a bit implausible, but they made for a good story. I'll pick up the next one when it comes out.
Steve Walker
Apr 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
Good read!
Allen Kuhns
May 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Outstanding

This was an Outstanding Book!!!! Author needs to write more Books like this one. I really enjoyed reading it. Write more
Bob
Jun 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019-read-books
What great flying.
Lou Drendel
Jun 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Great insight on our coed military

Terrific flying narrative and great action. Gotta appreciate what it takes to fly fighters off of carriers! A can’t put it down ride.
Doug Yonce
Jun 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great characters, lots of action, and excellent plot design, what else can you ask for. Definitely a thrill ride!
Paul
Jul 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent. Realistic, high-action sequences, and great characters made this very fun. Blew right thru it. Highly recommended.

I really appreciate the ARC for review!!
Sandra Guerra-Cruz
Aug 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
Fascinating story. I posted my review tonight.

• Raven One (Raven One, #1)
  • Declared Hostile (Raven One, #2)
  • Fight Fight (Raven One, #3)
  • High Desert Reflections
  • Orbital (Future War, #3)
  • Bering Strait (Future War #1)
  • The Silver Waterfall
  • Global Strike (The War Planners #6)
  • Dead Man Launch (Todd Ingram Book 6)
  • War Dogs No One Left Behind (Wounded Warriors of the Apocalypse #2)
  • Sei Thrillers (Sei Assassin Thriller, #1-3)
  • The First Stone
  • Roxie (Rescued Hearts Book 1)
  • Tailhooker: Pre-Flight to Vietnam
  • Mail Order Brides of Spring Water Books 1-3
  • undone (Burt Bigsley Mystery Book 1)
  • Logan's Word: A Logan Family Western - Book 1 (Logan Family Western Series)
  • Wild Forever (The Gilbert Girls, #3)
During his active duty career in the U.S. Navy, Francesco "Paco" Chierici flew A-6E Intruders and F-14A Tomcats, deployed to conflict zones from Somalia to Iraq and was stationed aboard carriers including the USS Ranger, Nimitz and Kitty Hawk. Unable to give up dogfighting, he flew the F-5 Tiger II for a further ten years as a Bandit. Throughout his military career, Paco accumulated 3,000 tactical ...more

News & Interviews

“The lore of aviation was written in the blood of hubris, from Icarus forward.” 0 likes