Start by marking “Lions of the Sky” as Want to Read:
Lions of the Sky

Lions of the Sky

In the world of fighter pilots, the most alpha of the alpha, competition is everything and the stakes are impossibly high. A Top Gun for the new millennium, LIONS OF THE SKY propels us into a realm in which friendship, loyalty, and skill are tested, battles won and lost in an instant, and lives irrevocably changed in the time it takes to plug in your afterburners.

Sam Richardson is a f

Published April 12th 2019 by Braveship Books

To ask other readers questions about Lions of the Sky, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Lions of the Sky

Cheryl
Aug 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
As a fan of aviation/military novels, I really enjoyed this book. It will leave you on the edge of your seat from the beginning to the end. Not to sound cliché but this book does instantly remind you of Top Gun. Yet, you could saw this is the female version. Keeley is the perfect female lead.

She could hold her own against the men in this book. In fact, she gave them back more then she received. However, she had the skills to back up her cockiness. Speaking of the men in this book; I liked each
Monica
Jul 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: giveaways-won
John
May 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
😁😁 OUTSTANDING 😁😁

This was quite simply one of the best first novels I have ever read. This is one of my favorite genre to read. I’m a veteran myself, not navy but the Air Force. The descriptions of flight just brought a smile to my face. WELL DONE MR. CHIERICI, Well Done!! Please get started on your next novel!
Carol Zeissner (kindle)
Apr 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Lions in the Sky

I highly recommend this book to everyone interested in tactical air. A fast paced story with good character development, twists and turns my only disappointed that the read was over!
Waiting for more from Mr Chieirci, the characters developed in this book have more to tell.
Viviane Crystal
Jul 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Being a Top Gun fighter pilot is not for the timid. It’s fiercely difficult; that’s why these men and women are being tested and trained to be fighter pilots are going through real and simulated scenarios. The action of lack of action can mean instant injury and/or death. Enter the cockpit of an F/A-18 Super Hornet and feel the force of gravity on take-off. This team are not loners; they’re highly dependent on each other for survival. Sam Richardson is the leader. Sam’s dealing with a problem; h ...more
William Bentrim
Jul 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Lions of the Sky by Paco Chierici
If you are a fan of air combat books or ever watched the movie Top Gun three or more times then you MUST read this book. Slammer is a Naval aviation flight instructor. He is tired of instructing and wants to get back to the fleet. He is coerced into taking one more class and it has two (gasp) female aviators in it. Results are not predictable.
Slammer and the other “good ole’ boys” are not overly thrilled with the integration of women into the fraternity of
Michael La Guardia
Jul 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
What a fun book! Chierici puts you into the cockpit of an F-18 Super Hornet and lets you feel all of the g-force of the ride. He crafts a great story, but also brings in the contemplation of policy issues that touch the real lives of soldiers such as what actually happens when you have men and women serving together on the front lines of combat.

What tips this book beyond just a fun read for me are two points. (1) Chierici has a fine command of the language. His prose is evocative and his imager
Miriam Downey
Jul 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
Read my full review here: http://mimi-cyberlibrarian.blogspot.c...

Paco Chierici is an airline pilot and a former Navy fighter pilot. His first novel, Lions in the Sky, plays upon his experience with many real-life touches that adds a great deal of authenticity to this story of the threats posed in the South China Sea.
Here is the summary from the back cover:
“In the world of fighter pilots, the most alpha of the alpha, competition is everything and the stakes are impossibly high. A Top Gun for the new millennium, LI
Lori
Sep 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is a fascinating read! We begin the story with a commando on a boat in the South China Sea. Once his inflatable craft docks on the beach, he begins his operation.

The following day takes us to Virginia Beach, Virginia and we are flying low with engaging characters. Cruising along in a 1966 427 Shelby AC Cobra has always appealed to me and I was immediately intrigued by the characters Slammer and Quick.

The cockpit drama is a strong focal point.

A mix of humor and well-
ANTHONY MYLONAKIS
Sep 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I've just finished reading this amazing book! Still shaken by the excitement! I didn't even stop for lunch, the words were my food, the adrenaline even for a 'chair borne' aviation enthusiast like myself has kept me on the edge! I didn't want it to end! The way the 'technical' aspects of the novel were described is perfect! Due to my background i am familiar with most of the things so vividly described! But the book is not addressed only to the 'initiated', not only to the 'chosen few' who were ...more
Sean Canfield
Jun 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I'm a retired F-16 driver and I have to tell you, Paco did a great job bringing me back into the world of fighter pilots. He gave depth to his characters making them easy to like or possibly hate depending on the reader's interpretation of that character, but I swear I've seen some of these fictional characters walking around my squadron's of old. Some scenes (no spoilers), like Crud or flying sorties, he did really well explaining complex situations with terms I think everyday non-fighter pilot ...more
Jen Linstroth
Apr 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Adrenaline Junkies Get In Line!

A page turning deep dive into the closed world of Navy Fighter Pilots. Paco Chierici uses his decades of experience to nail down difficult characters and impossible action, bringing the reader to places few will ever know. For those of us who have lived this life the book triggers powerful memories of times past and friends long unseen. Anyone who has ever considered strapping on a high performance fighter needs to read this book.
Lovely Loveday
Lions of the Sky is a fast-paced military thriller that will keep you on the edge of your seat from the beginning to the end. Perfect for fans of aviation and military novels or the movie Top Gun. A captivating story that is full of twists and turns, engaging characters, thrilling suspense, and action. Chierici takes you into the closed world of Navy Fighter Pilots taking readers to places very few will ever now. Lions of the Sky is perfect for fans of action military thrillers.
Thomas Lennek
Jun 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Better than the movie: Top Gun

Fast moving story, complete with finely drawn characters in the high octane, dangerous world of U.S. Navy Aviation. The author clearly has "been there, done that." Flying aircraft in military aviation is inherently dangerous, readers should look closely at the last 2 pages to see proof.
Joe
Jun 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This author has promise

I really liked this first naval aviation thriller. You are literally living the naval aviation life in this book, what with all the fine flying detail and more. I await the sequel from the mastermind of "Speed and Angels" and "Last of the Dogfighters".
Karl
Sep 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Nice war story

This novel examines the juxtaposition of personal feelings, technical ability, and killer instinct as a fresh caught Nugget comes of age. Also contains an excellent dogfight sequence.
Allen
May 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Outstanding

This was an Outstanding Book!!!! Author needs to write more Books like this one. I really enjoyed reading it. Write more
Richard Jensen
Aug 17, 2019 rated it did not like it
Predictable predictable predictable

Utterly predictable , you know the whole plot but a third page . I don't know just a big waste of my time
Doug Yonce
Jun 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great characters, lots of action, and excellent plot design, what else can you ask for. Definitely a thrill ride!
Bob
Jun 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019-read-books
What great flying.
Lou Drendel
Jun 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Great insight on our coed military

Terrific flying narrative and great action. Gotta appreciate what it takes to fly fighters off of carriers! A can’t put it down ride.
Sandra Guerra-Cruz
Aug 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
Fascinating story. I posted my review tonight.

Steve Walker
Apr 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
Good read!
Paul
Jul 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent. Realistic, high-action sequences, and great characters made this very fun. Blew right thru it. Highly recommended.

I really appreciate the ARC for review!!
Steve
Apr 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
I like it.

Pretty good book. Some of the events were a bit implausible, but they made for a good story. I'll pick up the next one when it comes out.
Stephanie
May 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I LOVE this book! I'm not usually an avid action reader, but I loved connecting with the characters, Slammer and Quick. This book is an insiders view of what life is really like as a competitive navy fighter pilot, which is super cool. A literal page-turner, I could put this book down once I started! I would highly recommend to anyone—not just those interested in action-packed novels.
Sherwin Steffin
Oct 05, 2019
rschatzman
Aug 31, 2019
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
During his active duty career in the U.S. Navy, Francesco "Paco" Chierici flew A-6E Intruders and F-14A Tomcats, deployed to conflict zones from Somalia to Iraq and was stationed aboard carriers including the USS Ranger, Nimitz and Kitty Hawk. Unable to give up dogfighting, he flew the F-5 Tiger II for a further ten years as a Bandit. Throughout his military career, Paco accumulated 3,000 tactical ...more
“The lore of aviation was written in the blood of hubris, from Icarus forward.” 0 likes