Start by marking “Jataka Tales” as Want to Read:
Jataka Tales

Jataka Tales

3.82  ·  Rating details ·  101 Ratings  ·  12 Reviews
Eighteen fables from the Jatakas of India, skillfully retold and attractively illustrated. Includes The Monkey and the Crocodile, The Merchant of Seri, The Turtle Who Wouldn't Stop Talking, The Foolish Timid Rabbit, The Banyan Deer, and others. Suitable for ages 7 and up.
Published July 4th 2006 by Yesterday's Classics (first published 1940)

To ask other readers questions about Jataka Tales, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Jataka Tales

Mary Catelli
Mar 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: old-books, folklore
An interesting sequence of animal fables.
Andre Piucci
Nov 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Once upon a time many quails lived together in a forest. The wisest of them all was their leader.

A man lived near the forest and earned his living by catching quails and selling them. When they were crowded together, the fowler threw his net over them and off he went into the town, where he soon sold all the quails that he had caught.

The wise leader saw the plan of the fowler for catching the quails. He called the birds to him and said, "This fowler is carrying away so many of us, we must put a
Erik Moron
May 01, 2016 rated it really liked it
Jataka tales are great short stories. I really enjoyed how these stories relate to real life. To me stories are always better when one can relate to them, it makes the reader get more involved and into the story. That is how I felt when reading “The Golden Goose.” This short story showed me that even in the older times people have always taken advantage of help from people. Some people don’t realize that there are good hearted people, and in this situation a goose who are willing to help people ...more
Jun 18, 2016 rated it it was ok
I read a different edition, but a very similar volume of stories from The Jataka. Of the selected texts I've read for school, I did not enjoy this as much as other religious or philosophical works (like the Dao De Jing). It reminded me of 1001 Nights with its fantastical stories, however, there were only a few gems in the The Jataka.
Feb 28, 2013 rated it it was ok
I read a different edition of Jataka Tales (a short collection of tales--definitely not all of them). Considering how many there are to choose from it seemed like the stories were incredibly redundant, and the translation was really stiff and boring to read. The copy I have was printed in the 50's--maybe there are better contemporary editions available now.
Srikanth Mantravadi
Sep 04, 2012 rated it really liked it
Remember reading them when I was on a train journey from Hyderabad to Delhi; it was a long journey and not having much to do meant that I relentlessly polished off one story after another. Quite imaginative and fun. Wouldn't mind revisiting them, actually.
Mar 24, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I used this book to find a story for my storytelling group. I did "The Three Princes and the WaterSprite". The Jatakas are from one of the sacred books of Buddhism, relating the adventures of the Buddha in his former existences. I was only familiar with one - "The Monkey and the Crocodile".
Sep 28, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Frank Riccio
This book was okay!
Jun 07, 2013 rated it did not like it
Manish Goel
Mar 18, 2013 rated it it was ok
outdated and presents wrong moral
Nov 13, 2015