Start by marking “Wham! George & Me” as Want to Read:
Wham! George & Me

Wham! George & Me

For the first time, Andrew Ridgeley - one half of one of the most famous bands in the world - tells the inside story of Wham! and his life-long friendship with George Michael.

It is 1975, Watford, and two teenagers, George and Andrew, meet for the first time. Bonding over their love for singing, song writing and pop music, together they set out to follow an impossible dr

Published October 3rd 2019 by Penguin

To ask other readers questions about Wham! George & Me, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Wham! George & Me

Start your review of Wham! George & Me
Geevee
Oct 30, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Wham! George and me is a delight. Written in a way that is open, self-deprecating and above all generous to his great friend, Andrew Ridgeley charts the meeting of two boys at school through to two young men of the biggest pop duo for a short period in the mid1980s.

For me the real interest was the period where George and Andrew had become friends and were dreaming and gently stepping into music. This period is told with detail to see and understand how the two got along, planned and
Charlene
Oct 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was a beautifully written story of friendship. Andrew Ridgeley shares his life story from how his parents met, through his meeting George Michael and days in Wham to life after Wham and his ( and Shirlie’s and Pepsi’s ) tribute to George at the Brits. It’s such a great read that I couldn’t put it down and read it all in one setting. Thank you Andrew for writing this book and sharing your memories and pictures with everyone who reads this book.
Dj'aead1818
Oct 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A great read...

After reading several biographies of George and reading "I'm Coming To Take You To Lunch" by Wham's manager Simon Napier-Bell it was blast to read the story from a different perspective, especially from the other main man who was there...
Concise and to the point. Couldn't put it down.
If you're big fan of Wham! and George Michael then this is a must read. Even if you're not, read it anyway. Enjoy it. I did!
Mandy White
Who didn't love Wham!? I loved listening to this book narrated by Andrew Ridgeley himself. The story of him and George growing up, their shared love of music and their quest to be famous. It was fabulous! So many memories. I cried when he talked about the passing of his best friend, I got Goosebumps when he talked about the Final.

Can't recommend this book more!
Marcelle Sadler
Oct 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I loved wham from the age of 12, my fave was always George. And have followed George’s career since.
Have always loved his voice. One of my biggest regrets was never seeing wham or George live.
I was given tickets for wham the final, but couldn’t make due to a holiday booked.
This book is a must read, Andrew telling their story from the beginning and was from the heart. What a beautiful friendship they had! It’s was lovely to read, how they met and supported each other through thick and thin! Wh
Maria
Oct 20, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: audiobook
20191018 ◊ Good-natured, sweet, and vaguely shallow, kind of like Wham! itself. I did appreciate Ridgeley's sincere narration; his admiration of and deference to George Michael's superior talent was touching. Some bits were pretty defensive, which surprised me -- mostly because I wasn't paying enough attention to the press around the band at the time to hear how thoroughly he was trashed by the media. I enjoyed the view into George and Andrew's early friendship, but the story really thinned out once ...more
Lib
Oct 22, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: memoir
Admittedly, I'm the girl who would see the guy tagging along with George Michael on TV and videos, or in my teen magazines, and say, "Who's that guy that's always with George Michael?!"
In my mind Wham! was always George Michael and some dancers, including some vague other guy...
I kind of still feel that way after reading this book. While it's fun to hear about the beginnings of the band, their high school years together, their friendship, and stories spanning their career, I probably woul
Christine Bilaniuk
Oct 20, 2019 rated it liked it
I really wanted to love this. Wham! were my first concert, the first band I really followed and loved.

It is part "we were best friends, always and forever"and part, "I contributed more than people realize".

A lover letter to a deep friendship from young boys to popstars but I didn't learn anything new about either of them. If you want salacious you wont find it here!

Part of me wonders why bother and part of me wonders if George was still here would he refute ho
Georgette
Oct 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A quick read (Wham! wasn't around too long in the scheme of things) about the power of a beautiful friendship between Ridgeley and George Michael. I really enjoyed the funny captions for Ridgeley's photos, many of which I had never seen before. I also enjoyed reliving the 80's, even wondering if Ridgeley had a crush on the Durans. It seems like he mentions them a lot! Great book, though. Have your tissues ready.
Sam
Oct 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely loved this book, really well written with some lovely photos and stories.
A fitting tribute to Wham! and George.
Janet
Oct 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this. An interesting insight into the Wham! years of which I remember fondly and I was a big fan.
Jo
Oct 31, 2019 added it
Shelves: reviewed
Like most teenagers in the 1980,s I remember listening to Wham. THINKING GEORGE HAD AMAZING HAIR AND ANDREW WAS CUTE AND THAT IT WAS TOO BAD IF MY PARENTS HATED THEIR MUSIC'

This was a very poignant story, you could feel the love and admiration that Andrew felt for George, this book was an intimate glimpse into their friendship and time in the spotlight.
Simon Lee
Oct 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
I dont normally like autobiographies as i find them a bit self absorbed however Andrew writes this with such dignity and allows George to shine throughout, it was a nice read! 4 stars cus I skipped some bits that's weren't interesting to me.
Amanda
Oct 06, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Enjoyed remembering the days of Wham! but wish it had been George writing it.
Christine Savukinas
Oct 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I knew this was going to be 5 stars because I loved WHAM! I am a child of the 80’s and have such wonderful memories of dancing and hanging out with friends in college and theirs is the music of those years. Andrew does a nice job of remembering George and sharing stories from their early years and school friends. Lots of pictures! Enjoy!
Eric
Oct 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
OK - I admit it - I'm a Wham! fan. I'm a much bigger George Michael fan. So I certainly appreciate Andrew Ridgeley's memoir focusing on his time forming Wham! and his friendship with George. It was, at times, moving - but it was always interesting and enlightening. He was certainly reverential and supportive of George's creativity and solo career. That shines through.

I think a few things were missing. It was so reverential, that there really weren't any negative stories about George, or any ref
Kimberly Potts
Oct 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I had been looking forward to this book for months, and it did not disappoint in any way. I was a huge Wham! fan in the '80s, and I knew it would be emotional to read about something that was such a happy part of my childhood. I got teary when I flipped through the book, seeing photos of Andrew Ridgeley and George Michael that I hadn't seen before. Because Wham!'s fame came well before the Internet and social media and 67 TV shows and cable networks covering celebrities around the clock, we youn ...more
Oct 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
I'm a little embarrassed that I was surprised that this was a well told, well written book. I came of age during the Wham! period and never took them seriously; they were joked about a lot. I can remember people saying "What is Andrew Ridgeley's purpose anyway?" But, they were part of the voice of the time, fun and no worries.

When I was in college, I saw George Michael in concert and was amazed at what a great performer he was, and by then, I had seen a lot of good ones. His missing
MeganIsBookish
Oct 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Loved this. Andrew told his story with so much love.
Andrew Alvis
Oct 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
An absolute delight. Seeing things from Andrews' perspective was very enlightening, from his early days as a school boy becoming friends with George Michael all the way up to the very end of Whams' run. Definitely recommened reading.
Helen
Oct 19, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019
This book is such a lovely read.

Absolute kudos to Andrew Ridgeley for writing a book full of warmth, love, humour, respect, appreciation and admiration of his best friend, George Michael.

Mouse Croghan
Oct 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I loved Wham! and George Michael and was devastated by his death nearly 3 years ago. I've not cried so much reading a book since Love Story. It's only now given me some sort of closure. Which I think is what Andy intended. An homage to Yog and their fans. Beautiful
Diane
Just AMAZING

Beautiful written. Thank you so very much for writing this amazing book. As a Wham! and GM fan since I was 13, THANK YOU !!!!!
Rose
Oct 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Thank you Andrew for these memories you shared with us!!
I'll cherish them always!
Missy
Oct 10, 2019 rated it liked it
michelle willmer
Oct 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Thank you!

Heartwarming and heartbreaking. Was lovely to read the known truth about best friends. Happy, funny and sad to say the least. Thank you Andrew. From 1 of the millions of WHAM! fans that you've made very happy.
Mandi Dunkley
Oct 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Having been a fan of Wham! forever I knew I was going to enjoy this. 1st chapter made me cry, as did the last, but the chapters inbetween made me giggle, sometimes really loudly! Lol. Was a real trip back to the past! Couldn't put it down, guess that's why it only took me 2 days to read it! 😁 Thankyou Andrew! 😘
Annette Rogers
Oct 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Beautifully written account of friendship.
Lisa Hanna
Oct 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Loved it from start to finish one of the best books I've ever read if your fan a Wham / George Michael this the book for you
La Vida Rose
This is a book about the purest of friendships that began in childhood and lasted until the untimely death of George Michael in 2016. But I think for Andrew Ridgeley, his brotherhood with George will live on. This memoir was essentially a tribute to him and their friendship and also details the story of the meteoric rise of their 80s pop duo, Wham! I am a HUGE fan of both Wham! and George Michael, so I was eager to hear Andrew Ridgeley's story of how things really were in those days. I was also ...more
« previous 1 3 next »
Andrew Ridgeley is an English singer, songwriter, and record producer. He is best known for his work in the 1980s as a member of the musical duo Wham!