Start by marking “Spy: A Novel” as Want to Read:
Spy: A Novel

Spy: A Novel

really liked it 4.00  ·  Rating details ·  38 ratings  ·  31 reviews
Spy is an enthralling new novel from Danielle Steel, whose countless #1 New York Times bestsellers have made her one of America's favorite storytellers.
Expected publication: November 26th 2019 by Dell

To ask other readers questions about Spy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Spy

really liked it 4.00  ·

Jypsy
Aug 18, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Spy is a good piece of historical fiction. Alex is from the British aristocracy, but she ends up as a spy during WWII. I like the fact that an unusual choice of character is involved in espionage. The story follows this woman through happiness, sorrow, celebration and loss, and it has all the feels. It's an overarching portrait of a life lived by one woman. I found it though provoking and immersive. I definitely recommend for fans of Danielle Steel. Thanks to NetGalley for an arc in exchange for ...more
Donna Hines
Aug 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arc, netgalley
Danielle Steel has written a superbly crafted piece with Spy showcasing her talent and solidifying her role as the best writer of her time.
Alexandra our main character has so much charm, charisma, and fierceness.
I love strong woman and in this case Alexandra is leading a double life with good reason.
She is going behind enemy lines for a job that many never thought she would do nor could do but she proved them all wrong.
She originally volunteered with the Yeomanry to help the war effort in stoppi
Kym Jones
Aug 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Danielle Steel is at it again! This book is absolutely PHENOMENAL!! For me, this book ranks among Jewels, Zoya, Kaleidoscope, Thurston House, Family Album, and Message From Nam as one of Ms. Steele's best female leading, and driven stories, though there are still a few more that rank among the best books, such as Changes, Palomino, Daddy, Fine Things, Star, Full Circle, and The Ranch. This book will play every emotion you have, and leave you feeling like you were wrung through the wringer, but t ...more
ROBIN RUIZ
Aug 10, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Alexandria leads a privileged life, when war breaks out. Since both her brothers enlisted , she volunteers , more content to help her country , the marry and settle down.
This starts the journey of Alex. She’s recruited to be a spy and so begins her decades of work.
All while marrying and raising a child and relocating and having a front seat to history in the making !

I am surprised by home much I enjoyed this book. And I definitely recommend it !
Erin
Aug 08, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Danielle Steel is iconic. Women flock to her shelves and eagerly await her latest fiction offering. I read them, but I don't usually enjoy the contemporary ones as much as I like the historical novels. Spy is an historical set amid WW2 and the aftermath. I really enjoyed it. It was a comfortable read that had drama, intrigue, and a nicely wrapped up ending.
Mary-reeta Mcgrade
Again Danielle Steel doesn't disappoint. Spy is more of a historical fiction which is a bit different for Danielle Steel and is well written. The main character is an aristocratic young lady,Alex, who becomes a spy during World War ll. We follow Alex through her family happiness and despair,her love life,her duties as a spy, and her future. This book had me crying and I was disappointed when it ended,(I wanted more). Another must read book.
Lili
Aug 05, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: first-reads
I’ve honestly never read anything by Danielle Steel, because I associate her with mass market paperback romances from the 1980s. And that’s definitely not in my reader wheelhouse. However, when I saw that her latest novel was historical fiction about a female intelligence agent in World War II, that was so soundly in my reader wheelhouse that it was irrational to ignore it. Not only did I want to read it, I jumped it to the top of my reading queue.

This novel was actually a sweeping family epic r
Rachel
Aug 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Spy by Danielle Steel is an excellent historical fiction novel that introduces us to the intriguing character of Alexandra (Alex) Wickham. It almost reads as a biography of sorts and begins when Alex is a teen growing up with her parents and brothers in Hampshire, England beginning around 1939.
The book proceeds to give us an unraveling of a fascinating life that unfolds for Alex through the years of WWII and her eventual involvement with SOE, her missions and day to day life during that time, a
Diane
Aug 13, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Spy tells the story of Alex, a young British aristocratic lady who is recruited by the SOE which was a division of the British undercover military intelligence during WWII and then later to work as an agent for MI6 after the war. The book moves from England to several foreign settings as Alex and her diplomat husband are posted to various locations during the Cold War era. The book was an easy, enjoyable read. If you like Danielle Steel books, this book should appeal to you as it follows the typ ...more
Donna
Sep 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
As always Danielle Steel has not let me down. I love her books because the stories are so eclectic.
This book, which begins just before World War II, combines a story of family values with historical annotations.
It tells the story of Alexandra Wickham, a young English woman who travels to London to assist with the war efforts as a volunteer with the First Aid Nursing Yeomanry. Both of her brothers have already enlisted as pilots and she also wants to do her duty to King & Country. When a sec
Eddy Yang
Sep 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Spy Novel That Made Me Cried

This book deserves to be 2019’s best book of the year. Spy by Danielle Steel is such a well written, detailed, and page-turner novel. It’s about a young woman named Alexandra Wickham who volunteer to serve in World War 2, she was given the choice to become a spy and forever change her life. The book is filled with action-pack adventure, humor, romance, and is especially a super tearjerker. Get ready for one heck of a read and have tissues at the side.

Danielle po
Peppy
Sep 02, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have not read a Danielle Steel novel in ages. In the past, I found her books to be somewhat lacking in substance and in the realm of mass market fiction. I am a lover of historical fiction and after reading the synopsis of Spy, thought I’d give it a whirl. I am glad I did. This novel is well written and is well researched. Spy is a rewarding and enjoyable read.
In 1939, Alex Wickham is a young woman who comes from a patriotic upper class British family and has led a life of privilege. After dis
Kookie9200
Aug 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Thank you to NetGalley and the publisher for allowing me to review this book.

FINALLY! Steel is at her best when she writes a historical fiction novel! I loved this book! It was like reading the Danielle Steel of old, with a strong, brave female lead that takes on challenges.

Alex is 23 when WWII begins. She goes into London to help with the war effort, and to her surprise, is soon picked up to be a spy. She is strong, and heroic. Clever and articulate. Brave. Even through loss, she learns her ow
Natalie
Aug 05, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Again, Steel uses her charm offensive to take us through a fascinating tour of the most important events faced by Great Britain since the late 1930’s. The face of this novel is the valiant and remarkable Alex who becomes a SPY for the British government from WWII to the crises of the post-war 20th century.

This is historical fiction lite, but still manages to engage the reader in tales of espionage and bravery. The reality of the casualties of the war are delivered by members of Alex’ family. Al
Beth H
Aug 08, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I received an advanced copy of this book.

This book by Danielle Steel is set in WW2, with the main character Alexandra volunteering to help with the war efforts, and eventually being recruited to be a spy. I thought it was very interesting to learn about some of the different missions that were completed to gain intelligence during the war. I could tell that a great deal of research was completed prior to writing this book. The book does follow Alexandra through her entire life, so we learn more
Annette Geiss
I usually refrain from reading Danielle Steel novels. I decided to read this one after perusing some reviews. I will say the book was entertaining. The parts, during the war, were intriguing and the parts, after the war, felt like I was on a freight train going at a high speed and not knowing when the next station stop would appear or when “the next shoe would drop.” . Four years would go by in a couple of chapters. I felt as if the author wanted to get us to the end with as much information as ...more
Denise Breen
I was excited to read this one at first because it was a historical fiction story. I was disappointed because there was no depth to the story. The story is about a young girl from a good English family that goes to work in London during WWII and ends up becoming a spy. While there are details about her adventures, they don't go into real depth and I felt like I was reading a summary, not an actual book.
Doreena Silva
Aug 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: All Danielle Steel fans
Shelves: arc, net-galley, kindle
Thank you to Netgalley, Danielle Steel and Random House Publishing Group - Ballantine
for the ARC of this book in exchange for an honest review.
I found this to be an exciting and just plain heartwarming book about a strong woman.
Loved the historical aspects of it as well.
I was hoping for a little more suspense considering the subject matter and title, but regardless it was
another good one for all especially fans of Danielle.
Jessie May
This book was a DNF for me. The part that I read was interesting enough, but I didn't find myself looking forward to reading it. A lot was happening, but it felt more like the author was summarizing the book, rather than writing the story. It jumped from one event to another very quickly. If you are looking for an easy historical fiction read, you may enjoy this one, but it was not my favorite.
Melissa Cheney
I found this book to be a great learning experience. Given the time period that this book takes place in I was able to learn a good amount about various situations that happened in the world. I thought the book was well written and the characters are relate-able. I found this book to be a quick read that kept my attention throughout the novel.
Rose
Sep 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I've been into reading WWII spy novels lately and this one did not disappoint. This is a wonderful novel by Daniel Steel. I was drawn into the story from the very beginning and couldn't put it down. Highly recommend.

I would like to thank Netgalley and the publisher for providing me with a copy free of charge. This is my honest and unbiased opinion of it.
Nicola Short
Danielle Steel books are a hit or miss with me. “Spy” was more of a miss. I did not like the way the story jumped around at such a fast pace. The first half of the book during the war was ok. The last half not so much.
Thank you to NetGallery, the publisher and author for the opportunity to read and review this book and give my honest opinion.
Michele
This was a pretty good Danielle Steel book. I really enjoyed the first half of the book set during WW2 and how woman were used during the war, in this case for “spying “. The second half was ok and I did skim some of the places the characters lived in. Overall a good story that held my interest. I would recommend this book. Thank you netgalley for letting me give an honest review of this book.
Megan Greene
Aug 17, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Danielle Steel does it again. Spy is a unique story that spans 30 years of war and turmoil in foreign lands. The story combines love, family and historical references. Add a touch of espionage, for an intriguing drama. Even if your not a fan of historical fiction, you’ll enjoy the journey.
Jean
Aug 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another fantastic book by Danielle Steel! This book is so good and
very easy to read! I recommend it highly.

Thank you so much, Danielle Steel, her Publisher, and Netgalley for the
chance to read this great book.
Lou
Sep 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
a real page turner from the master of novels. Loved the story and the characters. A departure from the usual romantic story and a really good one. You will definitely want to read this book. One of Danielle Steels best.
Heather Bennett
Aug 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Spy is a fantastic historical novel with great characters and storyline. Danielle Steel is a masterful storyteller with a way of making the reader feel a part of the story.
Shkolnikjx
Sep 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An excellent book! Had fun reading it, and kept me on my toes the whole time. Great character development and fascinating storyline.
Sandra Pipitone
Aug 17, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Wow good book , history, and travel, TOO! What more could you want. Story line and fun, interesting read!
Torie
Aug 18, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I loved the first half of this book. The stuff about before and during WWII. I lost interest after the war stuff was over with. I am not sure what the disconnect was about after the war.
Since 1981, Ms. Steel has been a permanent fixture on the New York Times hardcover and paperback bestseller lists. In 1989, she was listed in the Guinness Book of World Records for having at least one of her books on the Times bestseller list for 381 consecutive weeks. But Guinness was premature. The fact is that one or more of Ms. Steel's novels have been on the New York Times bestseller list for ...more