Start by marking “George Pringate's Last Hurrah” as Want to Read:
George Pringate's Last Hurrah

George Pringate's Last Hurrah

Hell is tears, pain, and depression, baked into a cake made of misery and despair.

Heaven is meet-cutes and puppies, life-affirming moments, and hanging out with Elvis!

George Pringate is dead, and he really wants to go to Heaven! But first, he must survive Hell’s assassin, confront his demons with the help of his afterlife counselors, and most critically, be honest with him
Published March 26th 2019 by Stewart Frank Hoffman

To ask other readers questions about George Pringate's Last Hurrah, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about George Pringate's Last Hurrah

Start your review of George Pringate's Last Hurrah
Carmen DaVinleam
George Pringate’s Last Hurrah
By: Stewart Hoffman

Sometimes when I begin a new novel I’m overly judgmental. When I read something that is a bit too vulgar or obscene my first instinct is to say “oh great another guy wrote a novel that’s objective towards women.” I’m very quick to internally yell at myself to “stop it!” However, if it keeps going and the writer doesn’t get it under control I feel justified in calling the author out in the review.
I’d like to say, there will be No calling anyone out
Mark Adams
Mar 24, 2020 rated it really liked it
George Pringate’s Last Hurrah by Stewart Hoffman is a deep, fun read! Under 200 hundred pages it has the pressure of making this short read count on every page. Hoffman makes every page worth turning and delivers a unique story. Reading this book I thought of two books. First book was Good Omens by Terry Pratchett & Neil Gaiman. Like Good Omens, Hoffman delivers a very fresh take on Heaven and Hell, plus what takes place between them and what qualifies you for them. I enjoyed how like the world ...more
Jacqueline Ballard
Jan 14, 2020 rated it really liked it
George Pringate’s Last Hurrah by Stewart Hoffman is the tale of what happens to us AFTER we die.  The main character, George Pringate, has lived an uneventful life; with a failed marriage, virtually no friends, and the same boring job at a call center he’s worked at for twenty-three years, accepting the truth about himself won’t be an easy task. The novel puts a spin on the traditional idea of being destined for heaven or hell after dying, and instead introduces the premise that the lives we liv ...more
Malena
May 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I have a lot to say.
I loved it. I really really loved it. I loved the universe it described because it made sense and it had me wishing it worked like that, I loved the characters that tell so many stories and yet every one of them feels real, I loved the way the book was written and I definitely loved the plot.
One thing more personally I'd like to say is how relatable were the main character's feelings. His dreams, his deepest thoughts, his worst fears...it was easy to connect with him. His fi
Jillian Bald
Jun 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I chose "George Pringate's Last Hurrah" to read on my vacation from a random twitter review, and I am glad I did--except I finished it on the airplane, so now need to find another book.

Stewart Hoffman is a talented writer who makes the tough themes of death, depression, and heartache readable through engaging characters, humor, and real-life perspective. We all know a George Pringate.

This was a great choice for a shorter novel, and I was eager to pick it back up to read on with each chance. Th
Liza Cordero
Apr 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book made me reflect on what I've done with my life and whether just existing without doing harm is enough. It's a unique take on second chances and finding the light at the end of the tunnel.

It made me laugh, made me cringe, but delivered a very entertaining path to the character's happy ever after.

I would recommend it to readers who like speculative fiction and those who like questioning the traditional dogmas about heaven and hell.

Gena Stinnett
May 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
If you enjoy Neil Gaiman, you’ll love this post-death fantasy!

The story pulled me in and kept me hooked!

Stuck in limbo, George must come to terms with his past while hunted by a demon. Will he make it to heaven, or wind up in hell? Is the real demon worse than the ones in his head?

Limbo becomes an action-packed adventure as he solves the mystery of who killed him and learns the lessons he never learned in life.

The ending had me in happy tears.

Great vacation read!
Kez Booth
May 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
Took me a while to get into the story but it was an imaginative, easy and relatively short read. Once I got into it the story proved action packed but also contained quite a few laughs as George Pringate gets the chance to discover who was responsible for his untimely death whilst he is stuck in limbo. The concept is brilliant and well explored by the author. An ultimately enjoyable read and would definitely recommend
A. Gustafson
Apr 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
A heart warming tale of forgiveness full of laugh out loud moments.
Kyrie Ahlair
May 18, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Amazing book. Starts off a little rough, but it gets better. The lesson the author is trying to put out is one we all need to learn.
Cindy
Jun 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I loved this one! It’s a little dark, and I love the twist the author puts on life, death, and the afterlife. It inspired some good self-reflection.
Mark Schultz
Dec 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
George is in deep doo-doo. He doesn’t qualify for heaven. He has some serious work to do, and that’s hard for a person who is majorly depressed.
This book is so much fun! I love the way Stewart writes. He has an amazing knack for humor and I love his writing.
His scene-setting is seamless. The dialogue is so darn funny and the plotting is perfect.
George has to accomplish much to prove himself worthy of entrance to heaven, including not being destroyed by an assassin from the underworld.
The acti
Shahd
Sep 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Amazing book!
I really loved the story. It has a combination of happy, sad, funny, and surprising moments.
My favourite part of it was the flashback part to George's childhood because it made George's choices in his adult life more understandable for me.

If you are into fantasy books, I strongly recommend this one!
Vegan Jon
Apr 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
Really good fun. Lots of imagination and interesting situations. Thoughtful, silly and fantastical. There are some laugh out loud moments amongst the melancholy main story. I won't describe any more as it'll ruin the multiple surprises that happen.
Donna Lear
Aug 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mystery-thriller
George Pringate is dead and finds himself in limbo between Heaven and Hell.
I felt so many emotions as the author skillfully peeled away the layers of George's life, forcing him to face his demons.
I couldn't put this book down.
Matt
Jan 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Sad, Fun and Humorous

Good solid character building coupled with a quick read, this book was hilarious in places and touching in others. Highly recommend - I think everyone knows a George and can relate to the story - live life!
Dana Hammer
Jul 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
Stewart Hoffman has crafted a funny, engaging, and often quite poignant book. He is a talented writer, and you should check out this book, in addition to his middle grade series.
Glendy
Deborah Gerhart
Brooke
Julie Oxendale

• The Comeback Kid: the memoirs of Thomas L. Hay
  • Wrecking Ball (Diary of a Wimpy Kid, #14)
  • Girl Hunter: A Max Becker Thriller
  • Fantastic Beasts - The Crimes of Grindelwald: The Original Screenplay
  • A Bucket List of Sorts
  • The Complete Making of Indiana Jones: The Definitive Story Behind All Four Films
  • Kinnara
  • Camper Catastrophe (Trailer Travails Book 1)
  • Rise: Birth of a Revolution (The Flynn Chronicles Book 1)
  • In the image of Man
  • Hell's Princess: The Mystery of Belle Gunness, Butcher of Men
  • The Fish That Climbed a Tree
  • The Teaching Mirror: Lessons Learned as a First-Year Teacher
  • Now That We're Alone
  • Mistletoe and Mayhem: Yuletide at Castlewood Manor (My American Almost-Royal Cousin Series, #4)
  • Eternal Shadow (Fall of Gods #1)
  • Artemis Fowl (Artemis Fowl, #1)
  • Prognosis: A Memoir of My Brain
Stewart Hoffman was born in Doncaster, England, and his interests have always gravitated towards the creative arts.

A fan of science fiction and fantasy, Stewart’s favorite authors are Douglas Adams, Terry Pratchett, Harry Harrison, Michael Poore, and John Scalzi.

Those creative influencers and Stewart’s experiences growing up in England inspired him to write his first two novels, The Bug Boys, and

News & Interviews