Start by marking “Two Mothers: A Ghost Story Novella” as Want to Read:
Two Mothers: A Ghost Story Novella

Two Mothers: A Ghost Story Novella

A mother’s depression. A ghost’s obsession. A baby caught in the crosshairs.

Anna Jenkins is a new mother suffering from postpartum fatigue. While her husband is finishing up his Army duties before retirement, she travels to South Carolina to set up their house, an old farmhouse her husband bought sight unseen.

It’s not long before Anna realizes there is something eerie a
Published March 10th 2019

To ask other readers questions about Two Mothers, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Two Mothers

Rachel (TheShadesofOrange)
2.5 Stars
I liked the Postpartum representation, but otherwise I found this novella underwhelming and forgettable.
Jeanine
Mar 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
Good story.
Phillip Cobb
Mar 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
When fear takes hold

A woman imprisoned by her abusive brother, her baby given to his wife, her role diminished to that of a wet nurse.

Another mother, formerly alcoholic and prone to self-destructive depression, is left alone with her baby in a house others are afraid to enter.

Two babies and two mothers decades apart, but with a connection.

“Two Mothers” is a physical and psychological drama centering on the mothers’ fears for their babies and themselves.

Kris Loomis deftly conveys the fear of e
Dawn
Mar 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
I chose to read this book after receiving a free e-copy from the author. All opinions in this review are my own and completely unbiased.

Two Mothers is a novella about a mother in the 1960s and a mother in the present. Two women connected by a home, both new mothers, and both depressed. Knowing that the house was haunted before Anna did made me wary every time she left the baby in the antique crib. I didn’t think any harm would come to the baby though, would it?

I like how the author is able to ma
Kate
Mar 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Normally it takes me a while to get through a book, but as soon as I started reading this, I couldn't stop! I really felt drawn to the protagonist, Anna, and her internal and external conflicts. This has all the elements of a classic ghost story -- a house in the middle of nowhere, isolation, unexplained phenomena -- but it also tackles compelling issues like alcoholism and not feeling equipped for motherhood that humanizes the protagonist and that many readers will be able to relate to.
Julia Walker
Mar 13, 2019 rated it really liked it

Anna quickly realizes that no one will go inside the house she and her husband just bought and when questioned, no one responds. What are those strange noises at night, why is the house so cold and how come baby Preston stops crying when laid in the antique crib? Can Anna make it the fives day until her husband arrives? Loomis does a good job of keeping the reader alert and anxious. This is a terrific one sitting read!
Scarolet Ellis
Mar 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Two Mothers by K. Kris Loomis is a wonderful story that I read writen by a brand new author for me. I fell in love with this story cause it has a mystery about it and I love reading about mysteries that have ghost involved to. I highly recommend this story to everyone who loves mysteries that have ghost in the story.

Michelle Cornish
Mar 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
An intriguing read!

There are so many things I love about this story, and I never thought I'd say that about a ghost story! The story is told from the perspectives of both mothers, each with their own challenges. I enjoyed seeing how they dealt with those challenges to conquer their demons, both real and imagined. Kris did a fantastic job of weaving the past and the present to create an intriguing story.
Elizabeth
Mar 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
Cross generator creepiness

A young mother has to come to terms with the sins and misfortunes of the previous occupants of her new house. This is dark, but with a twist that makes the read worthwhile.
Michelle
Mar 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this quaint novella! No filler at all. The story was a bit chilling but not too much. Perfect story telling and suspense. Ending was perfect too and was a great way to finish the story. Like a big giant bow on top. Highly recommended!
Natasha
Mar 16, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-2019
Short but nice

Two Mothers is a novella about a young newly mother from the past and a modern day newly mother and how the story connects both. It's an okay short story to read quickly.
Rachel Benham
Mar 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This was a great short story. Although it was because of a tragedy, Anna finally understood motherhood. Mary helped her from beyond the grave and now she could rest.

Heather Bane
Apr 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this book. The author did a great job on the story. I was hooked from beginning to end. I highly recommend this book and I definitely will read more from K. Kris Loomis!!

Tina
Mar 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this story. Really good plot to the story. Very well written. Would highly recommend it to anyone who likes this kind of stories. Can't wait to read more from this author.

Nancy J Doyle
Mar 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Liked

I thought this book really kept me interested l`m a little surprised of the ending seem a little mild at the end
Faye
Mar 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A mother's love

This story is an eerily heart rendering page turner. I didn't expect the twist at the end. Great reading reading 📚
David Mike
Mar 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Great quick read!

Kris takes you on a journey of two mothers from different times, with one goal, to protect their baby. Kept my attention the whole time. Check it out!
Kimberly Casto frampton
Apr 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A quick read. A good read.

Not long but a very good story. Heartbreaking story about two mothers who both loved their sons. Very nice story.
Aimee
Mar 31, 2019 rated it it was ok
A quick read, but it wasn't very exciting. No scary material, and left me feeling indifferent towards the characters
mel toland
Apr 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
Spooky

A short but spooky tale in the southern gothic tradition. A tale of ghost and a haunted past. Well worth the short time it takes to read it.
Kathleen Kuipers
Apr 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Good Story

This is a very good read. The blending of different times was put together very nicely. It's a quick read but really worth it. I enjoyed it a lot.
Deb Stclair
Teri Ciulla
Mar 24, 2019
Rocky Matijak
Apr 16, 2019
K. Kris Loomis is an eclectic author who writes both fiction and nonfiction books. She is the author of the novel, The Sinking of Bethany Ann Crane, as well as the short story collection, The Monster in the Closet and Other Stories. Kris has also written several books about yoga and meditation and a humorous travelogue about the time she, her husband and their handicapped cat moved to South Americ ...more