Start by marking “All the Different Shades of Blue (The City Between #6.5)” as Want to Read:
All the Different Shades of Blue (The City Between #6.5)

All the Different Shades of Blue

(The City Between #6.5)

It’s a routine day and a routine job for wheelchair-bound merman Marazul. Just hack into the protective spell around a café and lace it with an encouragement to spend more.

What Marazul doesn’t know is that his employers don’t feel like paying him.

Or that the person who put the protection on the café has a particular reason for wanting to keep that café safe.

Or, for
Published March 10th 2019

To ask other readers questions about All the Different Shades of Blue, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about All the Different Shades of Blue

Start your review of All the Different Shades of Blue (The City Between #6.5)
Roxcell
Apr 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Give me Between Frames now

This series was such a gem to discover and this novellette was a a great addition to it. I do hope that Zul becomes a permanent fixture. P.S. I need the next one now please!!!
Ariel Masters
Dec 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Pet is in trouble again!

Pet is in trouble again! But this time, she's confident because well, she's the pet of Lord Sero. Who wouldn't be confident?
This was a fun little novella, and I did again enjoy seeing pet and her psychos through another's eyes. A merman's eyes, actually. If you've read the City Between books 1-5, then definitely read this gem:)

A little p.s. To the author: Now I'm all about Zero romance. What are you DOING to me?!
Mary A
Apr 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Wonderfully odd & fun!

I am loving this series! & now I have to stop and wait for the next book (#4) to be published! Agh!! I love the Australian/Tasmanian colloquialisms- I'm probably going to start saying "I reckon" & "you lot". And the oddness to the story that is so cool! I feel like watching Stranger Things sort of prepared me for this unexpected story. I LOVE that it's edgy without any offensive language- at least not to an American English reader. Who knows, could be some
Tricia Mingerink
A fun, short story addition to the City Between series! Even when she just goes for coffee, Pet still manages to get into a bunch of trouble! Their solution to escape in the end was hilariously funny, especially if you work an office job.
Tink Magoo is bad at reviews
Dec 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019

I question where this fits into the series as it came out after book 2 but having read books 3,4 and 5 the coffee shop guy is in all of them and their interactions are as if they haven't met yet so this may now fit in later than the author initially published it.
Jemma
Mar 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Very fun!

It was interesting seeing Pet from a different perspective.

I'm assuming this is a couple years down the track or something though, it appears to take place after the current lot of City Between novels (3 at the time of this review)
Christa
Jun 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
It occurred to me, not for the first time, that there was a great deal more to Pet than merely being the pet of Lord Sero.

A bit sized snack in the Between universe.

A half human half merman is doing some hacking for goblins who run a cafe. They want to trap customers in there. Unfortunately they do it when Pet is there.

I loved seeing Pet and her three psychos from an outside POV.

All in all a great short story. I usually don’t care for novellas, but I really hope the author writes more in
Becca
Didn't think that I would enjoy the City Between series, but this book convinced me that I would.
Lynn
Jun 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This novella is a great addition to the series. We get a peek at Pet and her psychos and get a little more background and also see them with fresh eyes.
Jude
Mar 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Great short story.

Interesting twist on computers and the internet, done well, with a new character introduced. Hopefully someone who will return in the regular series.
Poplora
Dec 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
You know what. I'm rooting for Marazul. I'm 99% sure it's gonna be JinYeong but I can't help but root for the underdogs. Also, how often do disabled people get picked for love anyway? I know I'm gonna be dissapointed but I think it's just in my nature to be a hopeless romantic ;)
Cindy
Jun 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: series, fantasy-teen, 2019
I really liked this little look at Pet and her fae from a different perspective. Can't wait to read book 4. I'm hooked on this series!
Chrissy Garwood
May 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
I read this book in a hurry, and it was as delightful as I expected. When I reached the end, I wanted more.
Sydney
Oct 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
4 Mer-person’s Non-Computer Stars

All the Different Shades of Blue is a short story novel released of The Between City series by W. R. Gingell.

It may well be foolish of a hope, but my fondness of Marazul’s character brings it about nonetheless, to imagine him joining their little ‘family’ of a sorts.

Experiencing Pet through someone else’s eyes and perspective for once, was a an inspired change that made me cherish her character much more.

This little short inside the cafe opened up the
Vintagebooklvr
Jul 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: urban-fantasy
A pleasant surprise to find that there are more stories out there that I haven't read in this series. Fun, clever, and a rare twist. Pet is collecting quite a group of talented people she or the Troika can call on in the future. Her own little Scooby group.

Love it. Can there be more while we wait for the next book? I'm addicted.
Merie Shen
Sep 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Three words:

all the love

And also apparently this is book 6.5 in this series. SIX. POINT. FIVE. Six and a half. WHAAAATTT??
Natalie panda eyes
Sep 20, 2019 rated it liked it
Poor Zul. Meeting the guys and Pet from a different perspective. It’s not surprising how easily Pet gets in trouble just getting a coffee. Would’ve liked to see a bit more of the aftermath.
Olivia Santiago
Jun 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A well worth read

I love how W.R Gingell writes! How Pet and her trio interactions grow. This was a great addition until book 4 comes out.
Diane
Oct 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I rarely give five stars to mere novelettes (50 pages), but I really enjoyed this.

Half-mer Marazul, handicapped both Above (he can't walk on land) and Below (he can't breathe underwater) makes an unusual and inventive protagonist, capable of thinking "outside the box", and thus a good match for Pet.

It was sweet when I realized whose smile was Marazul's daily self-indulgence. There was humor as we the readers knew more than he did about Pet's abilities and her so-casually-referred-to owners.
Patrick
Jun 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Surprisingly sweet

Of course, there's the obligatory danger and serious combat and a clever rescue but despite all that it's quite a sweet story. Pet meets merman and merman meets two very famously ruthless fae and a famously ruthless vampire. The androgynous voice of the story surfaces again and I admit that it's a rare treat. It also captures an essential aspect of teens and slightly older adults. Thank you W.R. Gingell.

Goblins meet the above mentioned trio and their pet. It ends very, very
Shymsal
Nov 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
Those danged goblins! :) Always up to something. It's a nice change to see Pet from outside rather than inside -- though I like her either way. It was also rather interesting to see Athelas, Zero, and JinYeong from outside the group as well... Though I don't like them suddenly having a group name like a boy band... The magic hacking guy (whose name momentarily escapes me) is an interesting addition, though not as bright as he thinks he is. Now that they are aware of him, how does he think he'll ...more
Mark
Aug 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Another Fine Side Road

I'd actually like to see more of the bits here in the main books. Not necessarily other perspectives but these smaller storylines. Both I'd the short stories I've read in this series have been amusing and interesting. I also, now, want to see a lot more about hacking magic because the that's handled is damn cool. Anyway, top notch fun here in an interesting world. A world that's much more interesting than my reviews.
Valerie - Cats Luv Coffee
Jan 04, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: uf
After reading all The City Between books, I was excited to get another peek into that world. Pet is up to her same old tricks. It was amusing seeing her from a completely different perspective of this new character introduction. Zul is a half-human/merman interacting with the world by "hacking" magic. It was also an interesting way to write a person with disabilities in this urban fantasy world. This little novella didn't let me down.
Gordon
Oct 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
Fun to see Pet from an outside POV for the first time - though I respect Gingell's very disciplined first-person POV in this series so far. Also a tantalising fae magic/tech fusion she's dangling before us in this short story, then snatching away. It's far from clear that this is actually #3.5 in timeline rather than publication order - I'm hoping that will be cleared up in the mainline at some point.
Fides Mabanta
Aug 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Gosh -

That was sweet! I’m so happy to have ingested the latest Between novel as well as the two novelettes during my work break - I am so flipping satisfied! Thank you again, generous + genius author!!!!
Firesprite
It's fun seeing Pet from someone else's perspective. It just proves why I like her so much. She's smart and sassy and tough and disarmingly honest and won't back down and is just plain heroic, but like she doesn't know it. New favorite heroine? Ah, probably.
Amanda Knutsen
Jun 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Fun little snippet

A look into the not so distant future of Pet and the troika. I loved getting to see Pet in her future sword fighting badass form. I also like meeting marazul. Cant wait until the stories intersect.
Myereading
Jul 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I lovve this series!

I don’t like reading short stories and I don’t know where in the timeline of the ‘A Cty Between’ books this short story fits. I don’t care. If it’s ‘A City Between’ story I will read it...and I know I will love it!
Joy
Jun 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
An enjoyable adventure in the Between series. I particularly enjoyed seeing Pet from a different perspective and the new character of Zul is very interesting.
Britt
Nov 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Awww

This is super cute and adorable and I enjoyed it very much. I do find myself wondering wherein the series lineup it goes, but it’s still enjoyable without knowing.

• Fierce Heart (Elven Alliance, #1)
  • Soot and Slipper
  • The Legendary Inge
  • The Lord of Stariel (Stariel, #1)
  • Goldmayne: A Fairy Tale
  • Reign of Magic (The Fairy Tale Enchantress, #3)
  • Kingdom of Ruses (Ruses, #1)
  • Slaying Monsters for the Feeble (The Guild Codex: Demonized, #2)
  • Namesake
  • Tournament of Ruses (Ruses, #2)
  • Taming Demons for Beginners (The Guild Codex: Demonized #1)
  • Curse of Magic (The Fairy Tale Enchantress, #2)
  • Princess of Shadows (Fairy Tale Adventures, #1)
  • Brine and Bone
  • A Princess of Wind and Wave: A Retelling of The Little Mermaid (Beyond the Four Kingdoms, #6)
  • The Swan King
  • A Captive of Wing and Feather: A Retelling of Swan Lake (Beyond the Four Kingdoms, #5)
  • The Lady and the Wish (Faraway Castle, #4)
W.R. Gingell is a Tasmanian author who is definitely not getting old. She loves to rewrite fairytales with a twist or two—and a murder or three—and original fantasy where dragons, enchantresses, and other magical creatures abound. Occasionally she will also dip her toes into the waters of SciFi.

W.R. spends her time reading, drinking an inordinate amount of tea, and slouching in front of the fire

The City Between (5 books)
  • Between Jobs (The City Between, #1)
  • Between Shifts (The City Between #2)
  • Between Floors (The City Between #3)
  • Between Frames (The City Between, #4)
  • Between Homes (The City Between, #5)