Start by marking “Athena's Choice” as Want to Read:
Athena's Choice

Athena's Choice

What if a stray virus accidentally killed all the men on earth?

"One of the Best Books of 2019" -Kirkus Reviews (starred review)
Winner of the 2019 National Indie Excellence Award for Visionary Fiction.
Winner of the 2019 Maxy Award for Science Fiction.
Finalist for the 2019 IAN Book of the Year Awards.
Finalist for the 2019 NIEA for Science Fiction.

"A daring book that will
Published March 2019 (first published December 13th 2018)

To ask other readers questions about Athena's Choice, please sign up.
Adam Boostrom Hi Katie! Sorry for not seeing this question until now.

Hi Katie! Sorry for not seeing this question until now.

In the opening chapters, the book explains that the virus which accidentally killed all men, also killed all trans-men, and many women as well. The population that survived was a fraction of what it was before and entirely female.(less)

Start your review of Athena's Choice
Mackey
The year is 2099 and all of the men are gone…

In a near future world, a Y-virus has killed all of the men and a smattering of women. In the aftermath, women have built what appears to be a utopian society. Through scientific breakthroughs and frozen sperm replication, they are still procreating, have quite nearly eliminated maternal and fetal deaths and have found cures for nearly all diseases. The female population discovered that, when using technology for good rather than for empire building
 ➹ƓℛἎℂℰ⚡
I received an e-ARC from Booksirens and I'm leaving this review voluntarily.

"Every act of learning is an act of destruction"

ATHENA'S CHOICE is a dystopian novel that takes place in 2099. The world described in this novel almost seems like a utopia, with all that technology, cloth printers, food printers (yes that's right, they print food!)and all. But there's a catch. All men are gone! The women not only survive but also thrive and create a peaceful society. The scientists of the Helix are
F
Oct 16, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: usa, 2019
Won this in a competition online and i LOVED it.
Dianne
May 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
My rating: 3.5 Stars

I have to say, Adam Boostrom pushed tons of my buttons, buttons I didn’t even know I had! ATHENA’S CHOICE is a dystopian tale of a world without men who mysteriously died of a disease years in the past. At first I was hearing “Ding dong, the men are dead…wicked men, oppressive men…” and truly I wasn’t sure how I felt about what I was reading. Of course the women have figured out how to get around the heavy lifting, etc! Life is fabulous, almost fairytale-like, but as with
Tonya
Jun 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I just finished reading Athena's Choice by Adam Boostrom. Athena's Choice is a powerfully written dystopian novel featuring a world where men no longer exist. It is the year 2099, and the technology featured in this novel seems realistic in many ways. We are on the brink of being able to do many of the things that are prominent in Athena's Choice, which really helps the reader just dive right in and relate to the book!

This new world has existed for quite some time without men in it due to a
Allie Oosta
This feminist coming-of-age story strikes the perfect balance. I was at once pulled into the fast-paced and exciting story of Athena while simultaneously experiencing a shock of surprised recognition. While light-hearted and fun on the surface, the underlying premise—the harm and oppression of a male-dominated world that calls for a change—is all too real. This detective-like novel with a sparkling female lead will keep you entertained while hitting you in the gut with its fundamental debate. ...more
Dana
Aug 28, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: review-copies
Athena's Choice was giving me some serious Black Mirror/Resident Evil vibes ... well, without the zombies, ha! This book would make a seriously stellar movie with that storyline. I could actually hear the music playing during some of the scenes ... I promise I'm sane, overall. Really enjoyed the writing style, sucked me in and kept me hooked throughout. I could definitely see a follow up story to Athena's Choice too with the way it ended.

Thanks so much for my review copy! I'm here for your next
Etienne
May 07, 2019 rated it did not like it
1,5/5. I have some problems with this book. First I would classify more in the YA, and not in the science-fiction. Second the message/moral that it try to share is weird/wrong or badly explain. That being said, the writing is alright, a bit above the average for a YA book, but the plot, characters and world building felt into the clichés of the genre and that hurt the rating. The young women who came out of nowhere, to become great and important, that had strange vision/dream of something and ...more
Chris
Apr 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Boostrom describes a not-too-distant future in a throughly descriptive yet concise way. He respects the reader by not getting bogged down in extraneous detail, while still painting a picture that is easy to imagine. Likewise, the technology seems plausible from what we have now and how fast it is developing.

The story is thought-provoking, troubling, fascinating, and compelling. This is science fiction at its best.
Robert Ian Leatherbury
Apr 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Fantastic science fiction book, it was hard to put down. The flow of the book was engrossing and kept me flipping page to page. The rich futuristic scenes combined with a strong intellectual undercurrent kept me engaged wondering about what the future might be like, with or without men. It did all this while also being fun to read. Kudos to the author, great book!
Sydney
Sep 15, 2019 rated it liked it
I love dystopian books, especially ones that address a “what if this happened” question. I was interested immediately by the premise, while the beautiful cover definitely influenced me as well. I would definitely classify this as more of a young adult novel rather than just the science fiction category, due to the simple nature of writing and the lightness of the story. I was impressed with how thorough the author was in addressing different dilemmas in the dystopian world and what new ...more
Meera Viswanathan
Apr 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A really good novel where you journey with the character in an exciting and thought-provoking adventure! I found myself enraptured and going through a roller coaster of emotions, waiting to see how the story would unfold. The main character is well developed and you find yourself rooting for her as she lives in a world aware yet not knowing why she feels like she doesn't fully fit in. I found the theme of dichotomy really interesting in the novel.

I agreed with the author in certain parts, had my
Ixxati
Oct 23, 2019 rated it liked it
Thank you Book Sirens for giving me this ARC!

Wow! The cover is really beautiful

Hmmm world without men? Uh uh! The hate that men received in this book are unbelievable lol

OMG! I could imagine all the future technology in this book especially food and cloth printer! I need that printer in my life!!

I have nothing much to say especially for each characters because they don't leave a strong impression on me.

The ending? Gosh wth is that? What is Athena's choice? Pftttt
McKenzie/literarydragon
3.5 to 4 for writing and plot, 5 for the thinking it makes the reader do.
I came across Athena's Choice on NetGalley and liked the cover. I read the description and thought "holy crap, a world without men?! That sounds like a crazy, entertaining story." And then I saw that it was published on my birthday. Naturally I had to read it.
I’m intensely happily married so the idea of a world without men makes me shudder. My hubby gone? No, no NO!
I also have a ton of brothers and a great dad not
Kristen Burton
Apr 13, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A very entertaining read. The author creates a believable world of high tech advancements the reader can clearly visualize, and creatively uses other media to flesh out its society and history. The book also draws conclusions regarding male/female evolutionary strategies that go one step beyond other theories I've encountered.
Currer Bell
Apr 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book was truly a joy to read. Its predictions about future technology felt so spot on, I wouldn't be surprised if most of the inventions end up coming true. It felt like stepping into the future. Also, the story was perfectly paced, and I couldn't put it down for the last hundred pages. One of the best science fiction books I've read in a long time.
Christina Borgoyn
Apr 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
Good read
Toya
Sep 20, 2019 rated it liked it
Athena’s Choice is both a compelling and thought provoking novel that explores a future where men have been wiped from existence thanks to an experimental virus that was accidentally (maybe?) released.

I’m not going to lie, I went into this dystopian novel excited at the possibility of seeing a world based on females and their strengths. But as with all dystopian worlds, you have to be careful what you wish for. The threads of this picture perfect society slowly start to unravel and it seems that
Ankita Khataniar
Author: Adam Boostrom
Genre: YA Sci-fi/ Dystopian Fiction
Pages:274
Publisher: Indie
Blurb: In a futuristic world, men have long been extinct, when an experimental virus kills all the male populace. It is 2099 now and women procreate artificially. Athena Vosh is just a regular teenager with her futuristic gadgets. But she soon gets entangled with the sabotage of a very important project. The project to resurrect men. Athena is brought into the official
Stephanie Jean
Aug 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
Great book; Not usually the kind of book I would choose but thank you Netgalley for accepting my request and allowing me to read this book in return for an honest review.
I would give this book 4 stars, nothing that I particularly disliked, it was entertaining and kept my attention throughout.
Adam Boostrom
Aug 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
As the author of this book, I wanted to personally leave its 100th review as a call-to-action for Congress to pass gun-reform. The unceasing greed and callousness of NRA-bought Republicans utterly blows my mind every single day.
Kody Boye
Oct 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
What if, in the future, a virus was engineered to eradicate terrorism? And what if it killed all the men on the planeet?

This is exactly what happens in Adam Boostrom’s novel ATHENA’S CHOICE, and what sets the stage for the novel throughout.

Set in the decades following the eradication of men, we follow a young woman named Athena Vosh — who, though a typical teenager in her own right, becomes caught up in a wild mystery when it is revealed that the Lazarus Genome, which is meant to correct the
Sabrina
All intelligent life is born to die.

The sci-fi worldbuilding was excellent. Using mixed forms of setting exposition ranging from class assignments, fictional Wikipedia extracts, news articles and even advertisements was incredibly effective, and I was very quickly immersed in this vision of 2099 Earth. Boostrom also drops little details here and there, e.g. inner-ear augmentation with regards to high-speed public transport networks, which make the futuristic illusion all the more

Kayla Krantz
After the Y fever killed off all males, females continued to live on. However, many of them miss the presence of something they have never have. In the future, scientists are trying to reverse the Y-fever, to bring back males, but not everyone wants them to come back. So when Athena Vosh, a teenager in the year 2099, is contacted by the Third Core to help resolve the issue of the missing data, she finds herself in the middle of an interesting dilemma. The fate of mankind lies in her hands. Will ...more
University of Chicago Magazine
Adam Boostrom, AB'06
Author
Lynn
Jul 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: giveaways
I received Athena's Choice through a Goodreads Giveaway.

I have to admit that I began to question my purpose behind reading this book only a few chapters in, but I persevered until the book picked up its pace. Despite its slow start, Athena's Choice is a clear winner. The storyline is incredible and really catches one's interest. I found myself making little conspiracy theories as to who stole the genome, and I have to say the ending was a complete surprise.

I was fond of the pages between
Tammy Goodwin
Jul 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
Very enjoyable read. Well structured.
Tiffany
May 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing

Truthfully, I had not anticipated enjoying this novel as much as I did. I’ve generally read books that have garnered praise and acclaim, or are classics in their own right. Meaning: I read bestsellers, and am not the first to pick up a new release by an unknown author. This novel is neither a classic nor a bestseller, but I don’t doubt that it could possibly make its way onto bestseller lists in the future.

Athena’s Choice takes place in 2099, in what I would describe as the antithesis of a
Kyle Ocho
May 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
If you're looking for a book about the WU Tang Clan this isn't it, but still an amazing sci fi book from a long time reader first time author.

I read the book in dim moonlight in a cab on the road to Banagalore, India whilst i was super tied. I had to know what happened and finished the book. The world building is spot on and it made me care about the characters and you will too if you have a heart. There are a lot of interesting themes explored in the book that made me review my life choices.
Rebecca Bryant
May 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
First, I admit I kind of liked that female ruled.

As for being a science fiction book, it was good. The story flowed easily I was captivated by it and found it hard to put down. I wanted to see where the story went and how it would unfold.

The author creates a believable world of high tech advancements that the reader can clearly visualize and fleshes it out with media and history.. it truly came to life and the story was well written.

A great read for by the pool or in front of a fire. Overall
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »

• The Dead Girls Club
  • Trace of Evil (Natalie Lockhart #1)
  • Foul Is Fair
  • A Madness of Sunshine
  • The Octopus Curse
  • Against the Rules (Gamer Girls, #2)
  • Immortal Lust: A Vampire Anthology
  • Mother Knows Best
  • The Poison Garden
  • Hood (Hyllis Family, #7)
  • Like, Follow, Kill
  • The Papaya King
  • The World at Night: Spectacular photographs of the night sky
  • Her Secret Son
  • The Speed of Falling Objects
  • The Coordinate
  • Day Zero (Day Zero Duology, #1)
  • Thin Ice (Alaska Wild Mysteries #1)
Adam Boostrom is a former national merit scholar, valedictorian, championship wrestler, and Kiwanis award recipient.

From 2002 - 2006, he attended the University of Chicago, where he earned undergraduate degrees in Economics and Psychology. In 2009, he became the youngest person in the history of his firm, Chopper Trading LLC (later DRW Holdings LLC), to achieve the rank of senior trader.
“A woman,” Nomi loved to say, “needs a man as much as a fish needs a bicycle.” 2 likes
“Women First,” 1 likes