Start by marking “When the Stars Lead to You” as Want to Read:
When the Stars Lead to You

When the Stars Lead to You

Nicola Yoon meets Jenny Han in a heated first-love romance about two teens who are torn apart one summer by prejudice and mental illness, and find each other once again.
Eighteen-year-old Devon longs for two things.
The stars.And the boy she fell in love with last summer.
When Ashton breaks Devon's heart at the end of the most romantic and magical summer ever, she thinks
Published November 12th 2019 by Little, Brown Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about When the Stars Lead to You, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about When the Stars Lead to You

Start your review of When the Stars Lead to You
Jessica
I received this book for free from The NOVL in exchange for an honest review.

First and foremost, I want to start off with a massive trigger warning for depression and suicide. These topics are heavily discussed in this book.

This was a very heartfelt and touching book.

The depression representation was really well done. It showed what depression looked like and how it affects not only the person with it, but also their loved ones. After reading the author’s note at the end, you can tell just how
Katie B

At times I struggled with some of the characters and story but now that I've finished the book, I feel like I can sit back and appreciate what the author was attempting to do here. Reading the Author's Note at the end of the book helped put things into context for me. This might not be a perfect read but one that nonetheless was worthy of my time.

High school student Devon is focused on her future. She studies hard so she can go to the college of her choice and hopefully nab a ton of
Nenia ⚡ Aspiring Evil Overlord ⚡ Campbell

Instagram || Twitter || Facebook || Amazon || Pinterest

DNF @ p. 151

I feel really bad about not finishing this one but I couldn't stand the writing. Devon is supposed to be an astrophysicist in the making in her senior year of high school, but she was written like a middle schooler. The whole foundation of the star-crossed romance is a summer of insta-love cheese that ends up going sour, followed by a second chance romance-type plot-- only because they didn't have any real or deep connection
Ronni Davis
Jan 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
January 24, 2019—we have a cover! I hope you love it as much as I do!!!
Lindsi (Do You Dog-ear?)
DNF at 45%

I received an ARC from the publisher in exchange for an honest review. My thoughts and opinions are my own. Any quotes I use are from an unpublished copy and may not reflect the finished product.

I really liked the concept for When the Stars Lead to You, but felt like the story was poorly executed. Devon is an eighteen-year-old that wants to be an astrophysicist, but her voice was very juvenile (unless she was talking about space and the stars). I sometimes forgot she was in her senior
Rec-It Rachel
HELL YES
Sara (A Gingerly Review)
Raw. Real. Difficult. Emotional. Heart breaking.

Huge thank you to the publisher for sending me a copy to read and review. I'll have my review done soon.
Andrea
I’m so torn! I understand and appreciate what the author was trying to do, I just don’t think it was executed all that well.

Devon is a biracial 18 year old girl who is starting her senior year of high school. She’s focused on getting into her dream college and learning more about astrophysics. Also enjoying her last year of school with her best friend, Blair.

The last thing she expects is to see the guy who ghosted her a year and half ago, after what was the perfect summer relationship. Devon is
The Bookavid
the black biracial rep in this is fantastic.
Fanna
When The Stars Lead To You is a summer love ending without a hint that turns into a heated romance where the relationship’s growth is intertwined with both the protagonists’ individual growth. A biracial relationship with a depression representation and a female main character whose dream is to be an astrophysicist along with emotional wonders about forgiveness are all the good things making up this young adult contemporary romance.

Consider reading this review on my blog!

Sum it up in points!

Toya
Nov 06, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arcs, ya-contemporary
As soon as I finished reading When the Stars Lead to You , I was reeling from all the emotions of this book that I definitely needed to take a few days to wrap my head around everything that I read.

Devon is a biracial (half black and half white), sixteen year old girl that dreams of being an astrophysicist. She loves getting lost in the constellations and galaxies. During summer vacation, she meets Ashton. It’s basically love at first sight for these two. Their whirlwind romance is the epitome
Samantha (WLABB)
They shared an amazing summer at the beach, but without warning, he ghosted her. Fast forward one year, and he was back in her life, but was she ready to forgive him?

I had featured this book as one of my highly anticipated releases, because the whole summer-loving-first-love-brokenhearted-reunited thing really appealed to me, and Davis delivered all feels and, so much more, with this beautiful story.

Such a great blend of drama, heartbreak, and hope, and here are five things I really loved about
Ali
Nov 09, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a hard book for me to rate and review. There was one aspect of the story that I really loved. However, most of the rest of the book, I didn't enjoy.

I'll start with what I didn't love. The romance never felt truly solidified to me. I found it based more just on some cutesy moments rather than anything deep. By the time the deep moments did arrive, Dev and Ashton were already declaring their love.

I also didn't like how forced the characters felt. None of them came off as realistic to me,
Milena
Oct 25, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: physical-arcs
When the Stars Lead to You is a bittersweet, multilayered, contemporary YA romance that deals with a lot of important issues and packs quite a punch. Even though the book addresses heavy topics, such as mental illness and racism, it's written in a way that is very engaging and easy to read. It's also sex-positive, which I really appreciate and want to see in all the books, but especially in YA. When the Stars Lead to You ticked all the right boxes for me, I would recommend it to anyone who ...more
Emily Nicholas | Emily The Book Nerd
REVIEW FOUND ON MY BLOG

I was very excited to read When the Stars Lead to You because the cover caught my eye. It's one of the prettiest covers that I have ever seen. The story is all about a girl named Devon who is a very type-A student and person. She dreams of being an astrophysicist and loves everything about the stars.

One day, while on vacation she meets the boy of her dreams. Devon and Ashton immediately fall for each other and embark on a whirlwind
Mari Johnston
Oct 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This review and many others can also be found at Musings of a (Book) Girl.

Content Warnings: depression, suicidal ideation, suicide attempt, racism, classism, microaggressions

I honestly loved every single word of this book.

A lot of people will have issues with the story because it’s very much an instalove situation. Personally, though, I don’t have a problem with this because it’s how I tend to be. There is no building up to emotions with me – I just dive right in. This is something the main
S.F. Henson
Oct 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A beautiful book about first love and loss, self-care and selflessness, and all that falls between. A gorgeous debut that everyone should add to their TBR pile!
PinkAmy loves books, cats and naps
3.5 STARS

When Devon, an aspiring astrophysicist, falls in love with Ashton, she doesn’t expect him to disappear at the end of the summer and break her heart. She also doesn’t expect him to show up at her prestigious private school, where she’s a scholarship student. Then she learned his wealthy family started the school years ago. Ashton has a whole lot of baggage, including a prejudiced, judgmental family and a history of suicidal depression.

WHEN THE STARS LEAD TO YOU has a lot of positive
Sophie
Oct 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Such an excellent read, I can't wait to write a full review!
_________
Updated: Nov. 4, 2019
Link: https://mindofabookdragon.wordpress.c...

Like I mentioned earlier, I absolutely loved this book! It was a really great read, and I loved the development of the characters over time.

Devon was awesome, and she was so complex. She behaved like you would probably think a teenager would in her situation, and I’m glad to say it ended in the way I wanted it to. Her pride and strength showed when she had to
USOM
Nov 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
When the Stars Lead to You is a story featuring a biracial STEM girl obsessed with the stars whose summer love story doesn't end the way she doesn't expect. I love summer romances and When the Stars Lead to You is no exception. Not only because it turns everything you expected on its head, but because it's a story that stretches far beyond the beach.

When the Stars Lead to You is an emotionally gripping story about love, forgiveness, self-care, and mental health. A summer romance that ended
Moony MeowPoff
Sep 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was so beautiful in many ways, but also heartbreaking. Touching the subject of romance, of how overwhelming it can be of how it rocks your world to your very core (good and bad) and to let one go when that's the hardest thing you do. With struggeling with families and their beliefes, your beliefes, grief, and depression - wich is a the dark. And people often seem okay, and they aren't. I will admit that i cried a bit at the end, but i loved it all the same.
Natalie ⭐
Nov 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
All the stars and love for this one. RTC (if I can finally work up the motivation), but even if one doesn’t come, I can’t recommend this one enough.

TW: (view spoiler)
Stephanie
Sep 27, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
1.5* review to come

Blog | YouTube | Instagram

This book sounded absolutely promising and I was so ready for the angsty filled romance but unfortunately what I got was insta-love to the tenth degree.

I think the biggest issue was the fact that the summer that Ashton and Devon fell in love was way too rushed. It felt that they literally met and were immediately into each other. And before we knew it, they were completely in love all within a few days/weeks. It just felt way too fast and too much
Kelly (Simply Kelina) C.
I went into this thinking it was going to a romance. It was, but it was also a hard hitting contemporary which is my absolute favorite. This story is kind of told within three parts: before, during, and after. I was pretty hooked from beginning as you start to see how Devon and Ashton meet and start their love story. I was not a huge fan that this does have a year jump where you miss the anguish Devon was going through though.

I loved that this story dealt with a Bi-Racial relationship. It
Shelby
Oct 06, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
*Thanks to The Novl for sending me a free copy in exchange for my honest review
“When the Stars Lead to You” was a heartfelt, love-filled novel about a girl who fell in love for the first time last summer and has returned to school for senior year, only to find that the boy who broke her heart has moved there. We follow Devon as she struggles with how to deal with Ashton’s disappearance and return, along with her applying for colleges and finishing up her senior year.
For one thing, I loved that
Richelle Robinson
“I received a review copy from Amazon Vine and voluntarily provided an honest review. This does not affect the opinion of the book or the content of the review.’’

Ashton and Devon meet during the summer and have a typical summer fling but things don’t always go as planned. Not going to lie I didn’t feel their connection right away. I would have also liked to read both points of views from the characters during their time apart. As the story progressed and they started to spend more time together
Haliak Gnav
If this book was a food, imagine me eating my school's mashed potatoes with a face that basically told everyone around me that it tasted pretty bad. My taste-buds are telling me that this is probably pre-made mashed potatoes that came from the boxes and I can also pretty much tell that this came from a box (can mashed potatoes actually come from boxes??) because of the tiny pieces of dried mystery meat. Think of it as this; you open a cup of Maruchan cup noodles with the Beef flavor and when you ...more
Chelé
Nov 10, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Okay, wow. There's a lot to unpack after reading this. First, this isn't a light, fluffy, my little pony skipping through rainbows type of book. Ronni Davis really delve into some MAJOR issues in When the Stars Lead to You and to be honest I'm still processing.

Again, there's a plethora of issues but I feel like two biggest ones are mental illness and race.

This story is about Devon and Ashton.

I really appreciated them individually but I'm not sure I fell in love with them together, this story is
Abby
Jun 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is one of the best contemporary books I have read in years. I don't give out 5 stars lightly, but this book earned it. I recieved this as an ARC at Bookcon and I finished it within 3 days. If you've ever dated someone, known someone, or loved someone who has severe depression, you need to read this.
Sarah Ressler Wright
Truly great!. Was just going to read a little and got sucked in. Definitely a new Emery Lord book -reminds me so much of her new one The Map from Here to There. Love the sex-positive Mom talk and the micro aggressions mentioned but not the focus of the story
« previous 1 3 next »

• Full Disclosure
  • The Library of Lost Things
  • How the Light Gets In
  • A Match Made in Mehendi
  • The Revolution of Birdie Randolph
  • Have a Little Faith in Me
  • Fireborne (The Aurelian Cycle, #1)
  • As Many Nows as I Can Get
  • Hearts, Strings, and Other Breakable Things
  • Scars Like Wings
  • Past Perfect Life
  • 10 Blind Dates
Ronni Davis grew up in Cleveland, Ohio, where she tried her best to fit in—and failed miserably. After graduating from The Ohio State University with a BA in Psychology, she worked in insurance, taught yoga, and became a cat mom.

Now she lives in Chicago, where by day she copy edits everything from TV commercials to billboards, and by night she writes contemporary YA about brown girls falling in