Start by marking “Running Scared” as Want to Read:
Running Scared

Running Scared

NO MATTER HOW FAST YOU RUN . . .
The newborn baby boy is beautiful, perfect, and hers for the asking. All Kate Summers has to do is agree to one condition--she must disappear from Boston and never breathe a word about the adoption to anyone.

OR HOW FAR YOU GO . . .
Fifteen years later, Kate has built a good life for herself and her son, Jon, in Hopewell, Oregon./>OR
Expected publication: November 26th 2019 by Zebra (first published 1995)

To ask other readers questions about Running Scared, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Running Scared

Start your review of Running Scared
Barbara

In this book 15 year-old Jon Summers, unknown to himself, was adopted at birth in unusual circumstances. Jon has visions of the past and future and talks about them, so of course he's bullied at school.

The crux of the story revolves around Jon's birth grandfather trying to track him down and get him back so the family fortune can pass to him. Other familiy members - wanting the fortune themselves - aren't so keen on the idea. The story involves some not so savory family interactions ( a little
Cheri
Jul 03, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not her best but not her worst.
Kayla☠
May 07, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Kate summers has just illegally adopted a baby boy named Jon who she realizes later on had a gift-or curse-of seeing into peoples past and futures. Now fifteen years later jon has a nightmare of his own future, hes running from a man that reeks with danger. Shortly after, Daegen O'Rourke comes to town seeking answers only Kate can give, and is suspiciously interested in Kate and Jon's life. What does this mysterious stranger want? And who is the man that's after Jon.

My thoughts:
Lois Duncan
I normally like Lisa Jackson's books and was excited to see this "new one" at the library. But when I started reading it I almost immediately elt, "Something is wrong with this. The pacing is off. There are scenes that don't fit. It's like it's been padded out with extra material to make it longer than it ought to be."

Then I looked at the author's note in the front of the book and discovered that this is exactly what happened. The original book was published under the title WISHES. I
Mike
Couldn't finish it. Failed to grab my attention and the writing seems a little off. Ex: "She reached for the coffee pot on the stove and burned her fingers....she added warm coffee to her cup..." Um, warm coffee burns your fingers? Too many others on the shelf to keep going with this one. One Star
Paula  Phillips
Aug 13, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Lisa Jackson was asked to re-write her 1999 novel "Wishes" and to give the readers more suspense and deeper and meaningful characters and if you are a fan of her later work , then you will really enjoy this book. The novel starts in 1980, when young widow Katie was about to leave her work and was given the opportunity of a lifetime. Take a newborn baby and raise it as her son as the Child's birth family wanted nothing to do with it , after losing her husband Jim and daughter Erin in a car crash ...more
LaVerne Clark
This is the first Lisa Jackson book I've read. Wasn't thrilled with it, but it was a good solid read. I think the major drawback was that there were lots of scenes thrown together in each chapter. Too many interruptions and ruined the flow a little.

I thought the sexual tension was excellent, which is after all what we want in a romantic suspense, so this kept me reading. Not so sure about the whole incest type relationship resulting in a child. I know it happens, but it made me feel a little un
Meghan Hunt
Mar 17, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobook, adult
I've never really read a romantic suspense before, so I'm not sure if I don't like the genre, or if I just don't like this book. I thought the plot was too unbelievable and I didn't really like any of the characters. I also felt like the story needed to be edited by about 10-15% to keep it from dragging. I listened to this on audiobook. The narrator has a great voice, but he read the whole thing in a movie announcer voice, which made the story sound cheesy. In addition, the author used soooooo m ...more
Paris        (kerbytejas)
Long winded but I liked the overall story. There was a heavy does of "Soap Opera Drama" in the book
PinkAmy loves books, cats and naps
Connie
Oct 31, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was okay. Not great. The story was good, but it turned out to be chick lit. Too much sexual tension throughout the book, especially when the reader knows how it’s going to turn out. I also thought that the book was long for the storyline (413 pages). Not sure that I’ll rush back to this author.
Judy Churchill
Jan 23, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a good story. It was well written, with well developed characters, and a decent plot. The action remains constant throughout the story. I enjoyed this book.
Marilyn

Publisher: Zebra Book published by Kensington Publishing Corporation
Copyright: 2010 by Susan Lisa Jackson
ISBN: 13:978-1-4201-01289
ISBN: 1-4201-0182-X

PUBLISHER’S NOTE: Book was previously published in an unrevised edition under the title “Wishes.”
Running Scared begins in Boston and takes us to Hopewell, Montana. It is a story about a mother’s love for her adopted child and about families and what it means to be a family
Erica
Aside from the fact that this book had exactly three sexy scenes in it, which is disappointing to me, it was good! Wonderful solid plot! I would have liked more romance in it, and a lot of her other novel have a LOT more romance in them, but the plot of this one with the long lost dad setting up house next door to his son that he just found out about and falling in love with his adoptive mother while he attempts to thwart the Sullivan attempt to retrieve the heir (and what a dysfunctional family ...more
Lisa
Jan 30, 2013 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: did-not-finish
I GIVE UP .........DNF I am Just not into the supernatural that she tries to write. This one has been sitting as currently reading since January 30, 2013.. Just can't do it. Got to page 28. The synopsis grabbed me and I was excited but I just have not been able to pick it back up since I put down. Once again will give no stars good or bad only because my DNF is my opinion. Doesn't mean it isn't a good book.
Carlene Doan
Sep 18, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: intrigue
So far it is very interesting. I have never read a book with a storyline that compares. Will definitly Keep Lisa Jackson on my list of authors. Finished this book with a little sadness. Would have liked to stay in that story for a while longer. Enjoyed the book a lot.
Kathy
Sep 30, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this book more than any other Lisa Jackson book. The characters were likable, the story believable, and there was less gore/random violence/unbelievable plotlines in this book than usual. I would definitely recommend!
Tracy
Purchased audiobook WORST BOOK EVER.
SERIOUSLY. Constantly hearing “Who are you? He’s my son... “. don’t waste a minute of time on this one.
1/2 the book could of been removed an would have never been missed.
Alison
May 17, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A real page turner. Moral: be careful what you ask for. Also: Be careful of the secrets you keep for they have a way to come back and bite you.
Ameya
Aug 31, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
“Running Scared” is the story of Kate Summers and her son, Jon, set in the USA. We find out in the prologue that she adopted Jon in Boston in dodgy circumstances, although her motive is seen as sincere. In Chapter 1, Kate and Jon have moved to rural Montana, where we see Kate as a teacher, and Jon as a troubled 15-year-old. The lack of a father figure preys on him, and Kate hasn’t told him he was adopted.
As a reader expecting from the blurb that the novel up as a crime or suspense story, I
Meiwilli
Wealth, power and ego at its worst...

I wouldn't call this romantic suspense...Although there is some suspense, this story is filled with wealthy, egotistical, sick, twisted, bullies--unlikeable characters...even the ones you're supposed to like.

Kate Summers is supposed to be everything that's right in the world--she's had a tragic life, works for a pig and in need of fresh start--in effect, she is B-O-R-I-N-G.

Daegon O'Rourke is supposed to be the devil incarna
Oscar
Jan 15, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Running Scared by Lisa Jackson. Kate Summer a woman whom destiny changes by that of a child. Jon Summer the adopted son of Kate Summer who has some sort of clairvoyant power which he deems to be a curse that make him special. Kate always worries if she raised Jon wrong as he grown up without a father. Jon faced many adversaries confronting his “father” that haunt him every night. He was told his father is killed in a car accident but what really happened was not told to him or to Kate. Tyrell Cl ...more
Danielle Urban
Oct 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Running Scared by Lisa Jackson is the perfect romantic suspense novel. I loved the air of mystery surrounding the quick adoption of Jon Summers. A baby boy born with no one wanting him. His real father was supposedly this no good man, yet it turns out even that wasn't true. Jon Summers is a kid with a special gift that made this an interesting book full of twists and turns. The woman who adopted the Jon lost everyone she cared about...she always wanted a child of her own. Taking the child she le ...more
Steph
Sep 06, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Had to give up on this book after 165 pages and for a Lisa Jackson I was very surprised as I've loved any of her books I've previously read. Perhaps as this wasn't a series book and so it lacked good interesting characters for me, they were boring and I wasn't really interested in their back stories.
It started out well and interesting but then it developed or rather it didn't develop as it felt like the plot was just strung together as the book went on.
It was going to turn into Daega
Linda
Mar 12, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Masterful suspense/romance (one of my favourite genres).

I liked this book.

There was some "supernatural" elements - but the characters "abilities" were plausible (in other words - I could willingly suspend my disbelief). The characters reacted to these abilities in ways that humans would react if such things were possible. There was no ex machina type short cuts for the supernatural theme.

The characters were also well formed, they were complex, not archetypes.
Mary Fabry
This book was an okay read. The only thing I wish I would of known before I bought the book at the grocery store as a new book is that it’s actually a book that was written before & was rewritten with additional parts added to the book because I could of saved money on the book by buying it used somewhere. It wasn’t as good as The Night Before or The Morning After which I think are the best books she has ever written that I have read at least. But I enjoyed reading this one too & I am gl ...more
Singletary
5/2017/310

Basically, the story was good, but not told all that well. Typically of Lisa Jackson, she talks too much…going on and on about what’s in her characters’ minds. “Should I go or should I stay? Should I do this, or should I do that?” A few thoughts are fine, but more than that is what I call filler and it’s all through her books.
I know this is a story of fiction, but I cannot imagine any young lady in her right mind, agreeing to take a new-born baby without any legal ado
Rebecca Hock
Jan 27, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
In the past I have read a couple of books but Lisa jackson and did not really enjoy them too much. Thought they were just okay. I attempted to read this one as one of my friends gave it to me for Christmas but I could not get into this book at all. Thought it was really boring. Could not even finish it. Would not recommend it to anyone and I do not think I will even try to read any more books by this author.
Bex
Oct 29, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
First time reading this author; and probably the last. If she'd spent as much effort on building believeable characters as she did on their rampant hormones, it might have been an improvement. Too many similes: "as cold as death" appearing a silly number of times, for example. This book just did not work. The plot got daft, and the emotions implausible. Shame, as there was great potential at the beginning.
Louisa
Apr 16, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019-reads
I found it frustrating that the romance part overtook the suspense. Each romance scene dragged on and broke the flow of the story I found. Once Kate and Deegan we’re close, I didn’t get why he didn’t just tell her the truth and they could all just run away together. It was definitely dragged out for longer than it needed to be. And all the incestuous love triangles were a bit too soap opera for my liking, full of cliches.

• Bad Things
  • The Bones She Buried (Detective Josie Quinn #5)
  • Nothing to Hide (Lucy Kincaid #15)
  • Outfox
  • Never Tell (Detective D.D. Warren #10)
  • Save Your Breath (Morgan Dane #6)
  • Storm Warning (Lucy Kincaid, #14.5)
  • Final Shadows (Bishop Files #3)
  • Whisper in the Night (Detectives Kane and Alton #6)
  • Where Angels Fear (Detectives Kane and Alton #5)
  • Her Final Confession (Detective Josie Quinn #4)
  • The Boy (Broussard and Fourcade, #2)
  • Her Silent Cry (Detective Josie Quinn Book 6)
  • Smokescreen (Eve Duncan, #25)
  • Labyrinth (FBI Thriller #23)
  • Secrets Never Die (Morgan Dane, #5)
  • Too Far Gone (Lucy Kincaid, #14)
  • The Guy Who Died Twice (Detective D.D. Warren, #9.5)

Lisa Jackson is the number-one New York Times bestselling author of more than 85 novels, including Afraid to Die, Tell Me, You Don’t Want to Know, Running Scared, Without Mercy, Malice, and Shiver.  She is also the co-author of the Colony Series, co-written with her sister, Nancy Bush. There are over 20 million copies of Lisa Jackson’s books in print in twenty languages.

Before she became a nationally bestselling author, Lisa JacksoSeries