Start by marking “Stonewall's Gold: A Novel of the Civil War” as Want to Read:
Stonewall's Gold: A Novel of the Civil War

Stonewall's Gold: A Novel of the Civil War

The discovery of a long-guarded secret sends young Jamie Lockhart on the adventure of his life. Ultimately, it tests the limits of his courage and endurance during the final desperate months of the Civil War. Meticulously researched and historically accurate, Stonewall's Gold is a worthy addition to any Civil War library.
Published December 15th 1998 by Thomas Dunne Books

To ask other readers questions about Stonewall's Gold, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Stonewall's Gold

Robert Mrazek
Dec 24, 2014 Robert Mrazek rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Robert Louis Stevenson adventure like Kidnapped except with the American Civil War as a background. Perfect for time, place, and mood.
Jim
Apr 19, 2017 Jim rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It's "Treasure Island" set in the Civil War. A good well-told story that kept me turning pages as fast as I could....based on good solid research. Mrazek really brings to life the people of the Shenandoah Valley in that last desperate winter of the Civil War. Young Jamie Lockhart is our hero who uncovers a secret which endangers his life. With the information that he has, he sets out to find a hidden treasure in a war-ravaged land. But desperate men are also looking for the treasure.... I've re ...more
Art
Feb 15, 2015 Art rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It is the last winter of the Civil War and the Union army has destroyed fields, farms and food stores to prevent the Shenandoah Valley from being a further source of supplies for the Confederate army.

Jamie Lockhart and his mother are trying to survive and keep their Port Republic farm going until Jamie's father comes home from the war.

Soon after they rent a room to a soldier, someone starts digging up battlefield graves. When Jamie sets out to identify the person, he triggers a series of events
Beth Yeary
Thanks to the local library book sale, I obtained this book. It's a fictionalized account of gold being stolen from a train during one of the battles of the Civil WAr. Hidden away by one of the theives when they had to split up, it remains buried almost until the end of the war. A fifteen year old boy obtains the map after saving his mother from a rape, and goes off in search of the gold. Along the way, he meets all sorts of characters.

I enjoyed the story line.
Linda
This is another Civil-War-in-the-Shenandoahs historical novel, great to read after Cold Mountain. When I read this book, I thought it was based on a true story because the author gives information at the end about the Civil War soldier who is the father of the protagonist of the novel. However, I have since found out that this is not the case, it is all fiction. (There is a line between fiction and documented fact in novels and some biographies that is growing blurrier all the time, especially i ...more
Laney
Mar 10, 2013 Laney rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Combining aspects of Robinson Crusoe, Treasure Island and Cold Mountain, this historical novel of the late Civil War was an excellent, albeit brief, read. I appreciate historical fiction that consists of good research not just into a timeline of events that occur around the novel's plot, but into the heart of the society and environment of the time as well.

The main character, fifteen-year-old Jamie Lockhart is the convincing narrator, who is caught in that difficult period between being a boy a
Karen
Many reviewers said this is an adventure story for all ages. I agree that it has the feel of "Treasure Island" - except that there are at least two near-rapes in the book! Do middle schoolers really need this realism? I quit reading half way through because I got tired of the chase, violence, and near-death experiences. Checked to learn if there was any case in the Civil War concerning missing gold. Could not find such an experience and so the story just seemed too farfetched for me. Also, did n ...more
Diane Wachter
Mar 01, 2016 Diane Wachter rated it really liked it
RDC-M V 3 1999, 5/6/13. A novel about a shipment of confederate gold bars, stolen by Union soldiers, then stolen back by a group of rebs and hidden after the Battle of Manassas. A crude coded map was made and carried by the man who hid the gold. That soldier was killed and buried at Port Republic. One of his cohorts robbed soldiers grave to find the map, but he was killed when he attacked a 15 year old boy's mother, and the lad killed him. The lad set out to find the gold, as did the other cohor ...more
Korin Hall
Jan 02, 2016 Korin Hall rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A very well-written page-turner! It was a good size for a quick read. The plot is very interesting and characters very likeable. I quickly read the Explanatory Notes at the beginning but not in detail. I liked it better that way because the Ending Notes held surprises for me. I then went back and read the Explanatory Notes at the beginning again in greater detail. It paints a picture of what it was really like during the Civil War in Viriginia. Recommended! I've already passed it on to a friend.
John Gschwend
I started reading this novel to compare it with mine, "Chase The Wild Pigeons." They both have teenagers as the main characters. This story is great. I don't want to say too much because I don't want to give anything away. It moves along nicely, and the relationship with the main characters is nice and believable. It takes place in the Shenandoah Valley--I've been there to research my own novel, so I could see it in my mind's eye.

If you want to read a Civil War novel where the war is the backgro
Terri
Jan 29, 2012 Terri rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Traveling through what was left of Virginia in the last months of the Civil War with Jamie was a thoroughly absorbing journey. This story rings with authenticity and the moral agony of civil war is very clearly illustrated. The characters are alive, both admirable and pitiable, and their differing motivations and desires well defined. I would heartily recommend this novel to anyone who enjoys a true adventure based in a most turbulent time in American history!
Robin
Mar 28, 2010 Robin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked this one. It is based on the belief that there was a shipment of gold coming to the Confederacy from France (I think I have that right) and the fact that it was lost. Its been numerous years since this I read this but I recall it being good and definitely worth reading. I think it gets its name from the fact that Stonewall's Troops had some part in transporting the gold.
AraBD
Jan 05, 2014 AraBD rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014
Leído en español en una compilación de Reader's Digest.
No conozco mucho del tema de esta guerra y no me agradó la historia, pareciera dejar en mal al protagonista pues cometió muchos errores que para lo que estaba viviendo no parecen concordar.
Vitor Frazão
Dec 27, 2011 Vitor Frazão rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Este livro não passa de um apressando conjunto de eventos empilhados, sem qualquer tentativa séria de gerar uma ligação entre o leitor e as personagens e a história em si é fraca. Não fosse por teimosia, tê-lo-ia abandonado a poucas páginas do início.
Cindy
Jan 09, 2009 Cindy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: civil-war
This was a wonderful ride from cover to cover and a must read for any civil war readers. It's an afternoon well spent in a race and adventure equal to my childhood readings of Treasure Island, etc. Enjoy!
Rae
Mar 26, 2008 Rae rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A young Southern boy gets caught up in the search for a wagonload full of gold belonging to the Union. This is a sweet historical coming-of-age story.
Blaine Morrow
Great read! Some coming-of-age, some adventure, some historical fiction: all fun and well-paced.
Amy
Mar 07, 2009 Amy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting Civil-War era fictional mystery novel... a quick read but I enjoyed it very much.
Sal4gal
Civil War story about a map and treasure at the end of the war. Talked a lot about the low-life's that steal and murder.
Amanda
Oct 30, 2008 Amanda rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great! Thanks to my neighbor Judy this book was a great escape for me! Historical, adventurous, fun and the ultimate escape after working all day!!
Sonny
Apr 04, 2015 Sonny rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
It reminded me of Treasure Island set during the American War Between the States. I liked Robert Louis Stevenson's version better.
Kenneth Baird
Jul 20, 2013 Kenneth Baird rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fun mystery set at the end of the civil war.
Anna Oates
Anna Oates rated it really liked it
Apr 21, 2013
Jillian Little
Jillian Little rated it liked it
Jun 05, 2016
Tom Sharp
Tom Sharp rated it liked it
Apr 17, 2013
Deborah K. Helmick
Deborah K. Helmick rated it it was amazing
Feb 11, 2017
Alex
Alex rated it really liked it
May 31, 2017
Judith Arthur
Judith Arthur rated it liked it
Dec 22, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • The Tamarack Tree
  • The Widow of Jerusalem (Fools' Guild, #4)
  • Murder on the Mauretania (George Porter Dillman & Genevieve Masefield, #2)
  • The Outcast (Morland Dynasty, #21)
  • The Blood Royal (Joe Sandilands #9)
  • Terminal Event:  A Novel
  • To Davy Jones Below (Daisy Dalrymple, #9)
  • A Murder for Her Majesty
  • The Life You Save May Be Your Own
  • One Gallant Rush: Robert Gould Shaw and His Brave Black Regiment
  • Wild Rose: The True Story of a Civil War Spy
  • Play for a Kingdom
Robert Jan Mrazek was a Democratic member of the United States House of Representatives, representing the 3rd Congressonal District on Long Island for most of the 1980s.

He was born in Newport, Rhode Island, but grew up in Huntington, New York. He graduated from Cornell University in 1967. In 1967, he entered the United States Navy.

Mrazek was elected as a Democrat to the 98th United States Congres
More about Robert J. Mrazek...