Start by marking “The Wizard of the Nile: The Hunt for Africa's Most Wanted” as Want to Read:
The Wizard of the Nile: The Hunt for Africa's Most Wanted

The Wizard of the Nile: The Hunt for Africa's Most Wanted

3.58  ·  Rating details ·  191 Ratings  ·  24 Reviews
The story of a journey into one of the wildest corners of the African continent, and into the psychology of the charismatic altar-boy-turned-rebel-leader who is waging a war without end, for a cause nobody understands.
Published January 2009 by Portobello Books Ltd (first published 2008)

To ask other readers questions about The Wizard of the Nile, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Wizard of the Nile

Adam
Oct 18, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I went to Uganda the last two summers to work with Invisible Children. This book is a great history of the 20 year civil war that has plagued northern Uganda. I really loved how the author, Matthew Green, explored the reasons behind the war being more than just a crazy man's dream to rule Uganda. It's a great read.
Trevor
Jul 22, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This isn't usually the kind of book I go for but seeing as though it was a present I gave it a go.

The book details the search for Ugandan war lord Joseph Kony, hiding out the in the jungles of Uganda and the surrounding areas.

Throughout the book, the author attempts to meet with Kony only to suffer constant setbacks, until one day...

Thought it was a bit slow, and given the quotes from famous people about the book within the covers I didn't think it was the fast paced, exciting book the quotes su
Valeria
I didn't buy this book, it was given to me by my university as part of the Big Read programme that's supposed to help us get into reading and interacting with the other students who've read the book. Firstly, this programme is so not for me : I'm already a bookworm and frankly this is not a book that would sparks conversation from me in the slightest. I feel a bit bad for not being able to finish it since it was nice of the university to send me a free copy but you can't help not liking a book. ...more
N Silva
I really liked some parts of the book, and other parts not so much. It just needed some editing. What I liked: it provided a good introduction to the modern history of Uganda, especially as it relates to Northern Uganda as well as the administration (government) of Uganda. It starts out well, with the big picture. I found it bogged down somewhat in the middle because there were a number of jumping off points where the author took a tangent that didn't really add anything to the overall book. As ...more
Michael Jecks
Mar 13, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The video about this guy is floating around now, but I read this some years ago. It's horrific to see how one man can pervert so many kids, persuade them to kill for him, and continue to rule. A vicious, cruel, brutal criminal who should have met his own specially targetted drone missile or SEALS bullet.

The book is a little like "Heart of Darkness", probably deliberately so. It's pretty compulsive reading, if only because of horror at the dreadful situation, but also because it's the sort of th
Chris Steeden
Feb 06, 2014 rated it really liked it
A riveting book by Matthew Green in his search to meet the northern Ugandan rebel leader Joseph Kony back in 2006 to ask him some big questions. The historical content, interviews (with ex-abductees), travelogue and dangerous situations make this a compelling read. You really do feel that you are on the journey with the author sharing the frustrations at finding this wizard or as Kony puts it 'human-being'.
Anne-marie Coonan
It's a good review of the LRA in Northern Uganda and it does go a bit deeper than some of the analysis of Kony as a mad man. BUT it's a little dull, the central quest of the book is one journalists quest to meet Kony and I don't care about the journalist enough by the end to see if he succeeds or not. The real story of the book is the Acholi living in Northern Uganda and the book would have been better based around that.
Ashley Clark
He definitely pulled it out there at the end. I never really love books written by journalists. He is a bit self-conceited and self-important. However he does link the story to the bigger forces driving Kony. I wished he had just talked more about the bigger forces and added more evidence. Easy read and easy intro for those who know little about the conflict. Those who know more will be bored.
Nerissa
Between a madman talking to spirits and a liberator refusing to leave power it's no wonder that Uganda can't resolve it's civil war. Green is right in his conclusion that the media portrays the men as something they aren't. Both have dug a hole so deep they don't know how to get out of it. It's a shame such a beautiful country is been held hostage by 2 men unwilling to maintain peace.
Susu
Getting up close to the situation in northern Uganda - and why perhaps Museveni doesnt want to end it - how Sudan is involved - and how difficult it is to piece everything together. Very interesting read - including some eye-openers. ...more
Jim
Nov 20, 2010 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
Despite the subject matter, which promised to be highly interesting and informative, I found this book strangely uncompelling. Africa is such a mess, and I’m interested as to why, but the answers aren’t really to be found in this book.
Marsha
Jun 05, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: africa, non-fiction
This wasn't a brilliant book, and it was hard to warm up to the author. But it did keep my interest, and I definitely learned a lot more about Joseph Kony, the LRA and the circumstances in northern Uganda that have spawned this war and keep it going. Nothing is simple.
Matt
Apr 22, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A Must Read When It comes to the conflict in Northern Uganda
Alissa
Dec 05, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
a must read!
Pam Ela
I wonder why he had to meet Kony

Evgeni Veskov
Nov 03, 2011 is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
Стила е скучен журналистически, разпокъсан, скучна за четене.
Richard Tait
Nov 25, 2012 rated it really liked it

Loved this book. Very informative about a part of the world, and atrocities within, which are not well exposed in the UK (IMO).
Alisa Wheeler
Fascinating story of one mans journey traveling around central Africa investigating the LRA and Joseph Kony.
Sam Beer
The tone was a little bit off-putting at times, but on the balance I thought that it was an interesting read for what it was.
Benjamin
May 29, 2012 is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
One of the most complete accounts of the origins and events surrounding Kony and the LRA, a very good read.
Brendon
Feb 17, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: joseph, kony, uganda
More of a traveloge.
Cat Mckaig
Oct 12, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Really enjoyed this balanced view of Kony-- amidst the politics of Sudan and Uganda
Niels Broerse
Feb 23, 2014 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Na een aantal dagen twijfelen besloten toch het boek niet verder uit te lezen. Het boek is min of meer een dagboek, een groot reisverslag als het ware. Jammer, ik had hier veel van verwacht.
Alan
Oct 12, 2014 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Author strikes me as more focused in writing about his experience than the more interesting characters he encounters in his pursuit of a press conference with Joseph Kony.
Tanya
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • It's Our Turn to Eat
  • The Lion Sleeps Tonight
  • Napoleon in Egypt
  • First Kill Your Family: Child Soldiers of Uganda and the Lord's Resistance Army
  • Bad Thoughts: A Guide to Clear Thinking. Jamie Whyte
  • The Unquiet Ghost: Russians Remember Stalin
  • Stanley: The Impossible Life of Africa's Greatest Explorer
  • White Heat: A History of Britain in the Swinging Sixties, 1964-70
  • "Have You Seen...?": A Personal Introduction to 1,000 Films
  • Inside an Elusive Mind: Prabhakaran: The First Profile of the World's Most Ruthless Guerrilla Leader
  • Chasing the Devil: The Search for Africa's Fighting Spirit
Matthew Green is the author of Aftershock: the untold story of suriving peace, published by Portobello Books, which documents the post-conflict experience of British soldiers.

He has spent the past 14 years working as a correspondent for the Financial Times and Reuters and has reported from more than 30 countries, including Iraq and Afghanistan. After studying Politics, Philosophy and Economics at
More about Matthew Green...