Start by marking “Conan the Adventurer (Conan 5)” as Want to Read:
Conan the Adventurer (Conan 5)

Conan the Adventurer (Conan the Barbarian)

4.05  ·  Rating details ·  2,352 Ratings  ·  40 Reviews
Contents:
Introduction-L. Sprague de Camp
The People of the Black Circle-Robert E. Howard-Weird Tales 9/34
The Slithering Shadow-Robert E. Howard-Weird Tales 9/33
Drums of Tombalku
The Pool of the Black One-Robert E. Howard-Weird Tales 10/33
Mass Market Paperback, 224 pages
Published November 15th 1986 by Ace (first published 1966)

Stephen
4.0 stars. An excellent collection of Conan stories by Robert E. Howard. This is classic pulp sword and sorcery at its best and done by the master himself. Of the four stories in this collection, my favorites were "The Slithering Shadow" (aka Xuthal of the Dusk) and "The Pool of the Black One", both of which have a very Lovecraftian feel to me (especially Slithering Shadow which features an Elder God right out of the Cthulhu mythos). The descriptions are vivid and exotic and the plots are dense ...more
Jack
Jan 23, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Conan the Adventurer was a good collection of Conan the Barbarian tales, three of which originally appeared in Weird Tales magazine in 1933-34. Robert E. Howard’s colorful and imaginative use of the English language is strong in these stories. I sometimes forget how much subtle humor REH used:

They raided the shipping, and harried the Zingaran coast towns, justas the Zingaran buccaneers did, but these dignified their profession by calling themselves Freebooters, while they dubbed the Barachans pi
Charles
Jan 02, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy
Some Conan stories edited by L. Sprague de Camp. It's not bad but many of the stories would have been better without the editing. The Frazetta cover is one of the best on the Conan series, though.
Ron
Oct 20, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Hard to beat the original Conan. The character never dies... Conan is forever.
David Sarkies
Jun 24, 2012 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Fantasy Freaks and Lovecraftians
Recommended to David by: John Milius & Arnold Swartzenegger
Shelves: fantasy
My first taste of an original Conan story
30 June 2012

This is the first proper Conan books that I have read with the previous one simply being a novelisation of the John Milius movie. I guess I enjoyed the novelisation because I love, and still love, the movie, but with this book we pretty much go back to the 1930s (in some cases) to experience the original Conan stories that appeared the the pulp magazine Weird Tales. The book contains four stories, not short stories but novellas, three of them
Graham
May 10, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, anthology
L. Sprague de Camp's CONAN anthologies are notorious for de Camp's meddling with the original Conan stories - he often finished unfinished tales, for instance. However, these books were my first exposure to the king of heroic fantasy, so they'll always have a special place in my heart.

DRUMS OF TOMBALKU is the weakest story here, which comes as little surprise as it's one of the stories that de Camp finished. The beginning of the story is very similar to that of THE SLITHERING SHADOW, also collec
George K.
Jul 15, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
Πρόκειται για ένα βιβλίο που περιέχει τέσσερις ιστορίες μέσα, μια μεγάλη νουβέλα 100 σελίδων και τρεις μικρότερες 35-40 σελίδων η καθεμία. Είναι το τρίτο βιβλίο του Χάουαρντ που διαβάζω, και πραγματικά χόρτασα δράση, μακελειά, τσεκουριές, σπαθιές, μαχαιριές, μπουνιές, κλωτσιές, σκοτεινά και τρομερά τοπία, τρομακτικά κτίρια, πλάσματα βγαλμένα από την κόλαση, και δεν συμμαζεύεται. Σίγουρα ένα αξιολογότατο έργο της καλής παλπ λογοτεχνίας.

Αυτό που έχω να πω είναι ότι διάβασα τέσσερις συναρπαστικές ι
Al
May 20, 2010 rated it really liked it
Conan is great, but there is no substitute for the original, Conan by Robert E. Howard. Three out of these four stories are the original Robert Howard, and boy, can you tell the difference from those who tried to finish his unfinished stories, much less write new ones. No comparison. This is life the way it never was, but should have been-- at least, if you were Conan. Anyway, that's it for me and the Conan canon, and a great ride it was.
Mike (the Paladin)
Sep 27, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
This is one of the Lancer Conans. Some of you will hate them because they are not only NOT the pure Howard stories, but they also include stories made from notes and pastiches by other authors. I enjoyed them, maybe not so much as the pure Howard stories, but they are good. I don't have all of them anymore and they are hard to find...if you can find them they are worth a try. Wish someone would reissue them.
Harold
Sep 15, 2012 rated it really liked it
GREAT read!
Paul
Dec 29, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: conan
First read this book when I was a teen. Conan set the stage for Game of Thrones and the whole sword and sorcery thing.
Stuart Dean
Feb 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
"Conan, what will we do if they keep coming back to life?"
"Then I will keep killing them until they stay dead."
Pure Conan. The Cimmerian continues his adventures, and for a man of the Northern mountains spends a great deal of time in the desert. He follows his normal path, either joining a standing army as a mercenary captain or leading a band of brigands in looting and stealing. Conan, as can also be seen in his gambling, isn't the luckiest of men. He invariably ends up on the losing side and i
Andrew
Dec 18, 2016 rated it it was ok
I had mixed feeling about this book. There are some interesting ideas. In particular, notes of H.P Lovecraft can be felt in the otherworldliness of some of the monstrosities that Conan battles. However, there are some tedious themes (particularly around the endless precession of wobbly, wailing women who inevitably find Conan sexually irresistible) that perhaps show the age of the tales. I also found it hard to symapthise with the protagonist, who is basically a greedy, bloodthirsty thief and mu ...more
Jair Ibarra
Jun 05, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018
Me he preguntado montón de veces porque no es más sencillo conseguir los libros originales de Conan, sin embargo, particularmente en este tomo, en que hay tanto racismo implicito, pues queda bastante claro. Ahora mi pregunta sería, ¿porqué no hay un remake de la obra literaria? Da hasta para un universo expandido.
Charlie Devlin
Aug 01, 2017 rated it liked it
A good collection of the adventures of Conan.
Mars
Apr 06, 2015 rated it it was ok
TL;DR: skip this, go read something *actually* written by Robert E. Howard.

It's a great tragedy when great writers die young. Inevitably, they leave behind reams of notes.
However, that doesn't necessarily imply that the stuff in those notes is something that was ever intended to be published in its existing form.

This book features several stories, all written by De Camp on the basis of Howard's notes, all pretty similar to each other. I also can't help thinking that the last two at the least wer
Andrew Caldwell
Dec 17, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Like many this was my first taste of Conan and RE Howard, way back in 1988. I didn't totally get it then. Until then my fantasy diet had been mostly epic high fantasy, JRR Tolkien, Raymond Feist with the Dragon-Lance novels thrown in. My only taste of heroic fantasy was David Gemmel. I found Conan too gritty, too dark. I could not as a teenager get to grips with a hero who could cold-bloodily kill a man who'd rescued him in order to steal his ship, his woman and his crew - this was no clean cut ...more
Nicolas
Ah, Conan, le seul vrai héros de l’heroic fansay, un genre à lui tout seul ! Abandonnez toutes vos tentatives pour me faire changer d’avis, je suis un fan du cimmérien, et en tant que tel, je suis toujours à la recherche d’un nouveau tome des aventures du barbare.
Je suis donc tombé récement (mais sans me faire mal, grâce à ma souplesse féline que m’envient nombre de compagnons à quatre pattes) sur Conan l’aventurier en poche, du toujours aussi regretté Robert Howard. Et il n’y a pas à s’y mépre
Ninja
Feb 09, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy
Not bad, traditional swashbuckling s&s.
Of the four stories, I'd probably rate the slithering shadow highest, followed by the people of the black circle (by far the longest), the pool of the black one and then the drums of tombalku. The last of which didn't really feel like it went anywhere. But the others were fairly solid. Short but solid.
L'amaca di Euterpe
Per chiunque ami il fantasy classico, senza troppe trame e sotto trame, ma molto curato per ambientazione e personaggi, questo è quello che fa per voi.
Narrazione ed avventura pura, senza dietrologie o sotterfugi: Conan è colui che fa, non pensa (beh non perde tempo in sofismi, diciamo così, perché non è stupido per nulla); è colui che cerca l'avventura come se fosse aria.
Per tutti coloro che cercano racconti per sognare e partire per l'avventura.

G. Taylor
Sep 08, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Every so often I read this Robert E. Howard collection of Conan stories (as I do other Howard collections) and wonder again why the movie industry refuses to stick to the source material. These adventures are thrilling, and stand alone without the predictable 'origin' or narrative alterations that taint the cinematic treatments of the Conan character. The Slithering Shadow, The People of the Black Circle (I could go on) would translate easily to the screen without any tampering.
Timothy Boyd
Jan 15, 2016 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Another of the heavily edited collections of Robert E. Howards stories. I am a purist when it comes to a writers works. I know some of these stories are no longer PC but they should be read as Howard wrote them and understood that he wrote in another period. Don't read this book unless you just can't find any others of Howard's unedited books to read. Message me if you need a list of what is good from this awesome fantasy and action writer.
Felipe Guerrero
Jul 25, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Justo acabo de terminar este libro. Me gustó bastante la verdad leer a Conan es volver a ese mundo de fantasía heroica que no se puede comparar con otras. No se puede comparar con El Señor de los Anillos o con Canción de Hielo y Fuego, Conan tiene un estilo muy diferente, es mas crudo, es mas violento es mas... heroico. Leer Conan es viajar a esa época de la alta aventura. Volver a la era Hyboria siempre es, para mi, un grato viaje a casa.
Jacob
Aug 08, 2013 rated it liked it
These are kind of getting old hat by book 5. Story lines are pretty similar. That said I did like People of the Black Circle with its Afghani flavor to it. Unfortunately there is quite a bit of editing and stories inserted wholesale by other authors. Considering stopping my run on this series and checking out one of the collections of just Robert E. Howard stories about Conan. Still entertaining though. Solid 3 stars.
Greg Frederick
Feb 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing
You just can't go wrong with Conan! Each story is creative and different enough that I've read more than twenty of the original Robert E. Howard stories in a row at one point and never tired of them. It reminds me of the Jon Carter series, except with a different backdrop and protagonist. This book is a great collection, and I wish I had the other books in this series.
Jeremy
Jul 29, 2011 rated it really liked it
Like others here, this was the first Conan story I read, and it really opened up my early teen eyes to a different style of the genre after having read through Tolkien. And then I was hooked. So, perhaps that is why I fall on five stars here.

I also have a framed print of the Frazetta cover from this edition on the centre-piece wall of my loungeroom.
Aaron
May 11, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Great stuff started by "Two-Gun Bob" and finished by De Camp. Adjective and action heavy making for fast and fun reading. There are a few times Conan talks/speachifies overly long, which seem out of character from what I recall of other stories, but maybe my memory is faulty.
Jeff
May 27, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Conan is awesome, and Robert E. Howard is a great writer. I cant believe he pumped all these stories out before shouting himself at the age of 31.

I didn't think I was an action adventure fan till these stories got my heart racing. If only someone had put this book in my hand when I was 10.
Evan
Apr 12, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy
I really enjoyed these stories, because they were as pulp as I had expected and hoped. Strangely, the one dimensional, simple characters felt refreshing. I'm sure I'll read more of Robert E Howard's Conan stories in the future.
Joe
Dec 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: all-time-best
I was 21 when I first came across these novels. I devoured the first ten in the series in short order. A classic and one of the all time greats. Even the ones that weren't completely Howard's words.
Sword & Sorcery: ...: Lancer/Ace Conan books: 2016 re-read 17 18 Feb 02, 2016 03:36PM
  • Conan of the Isles (Conan 12)
  • Conan the Unconquered (Conan, #3)
  • Conan: Sword of Skelos
  • Conan the Rebel
  • Conan the Defiant
  • Conan: Road of Kings
  • Conan The Hero
  • Conan the Valorous
Robert Ervin Howard was an American pulp writer of fantasy, horror, historical adventure, boxing, western, and detective fiction. Howard wrote "over three-hundred stories and seven-hundred poems of raw power and unbridled emotion" and is especially noted for his memorable depictions of "a sombre universe of swashbuckling adventure and darkling horror."

He is well known for having created — in the p
More about Robert E. Howard

Conan the Barbarian (1 - 10 of 12 books)
  • Conan (Book 1)
  • Conan of Cimmeria (Conan 2)
  • Conan The Freebooter (Conan, #3)
  • Conan the Wanderer (Conan, #4)
  • Conan the Buccaneer (Conan, #6)
  • Conan the Warrior (Book 7)
  • Conan the Usurper (Conan, #8)
  • Conan the Conqueror
  • The Return of Conan
  • Конан. Том 1

Fantasy & Science Fiction Deals

• Off to Be the Wizard (Magic 2.0, #1)
  • Beneath the Shine
  • The Stepford Wives
    $9.74 $1.99
  • Time's Divide (The Chronos Files, #3)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • The Long Earth (The Long Earth, #1)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Gilded (Gilded, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Infinity Lost (The Infinity Trilogy #1)
  • The Man of Legends
  • All the Breaking Waves
  • Fellside
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Timebound (The Chronos Files, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Banished of Muirwood (Covenant of Muirwood, #1)
  • Muirwood: The Lost Abbey: The Graphic Novel
    $7.99 $0.99
  • 2061: Odyssey Three (Space Odyssey, #3)
  • Alas, Babylon
    $9.74 $1.99
  • 3001: The Final Odyssey (Space Odyssey, #4)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Fractured (Guards of the Shadowlands, #2)
    $4.99 $0.99
  • The Queen's Poisoner (Kingfountain, #1)
  • Zeroes
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Dreams and Shadows (Dreams & Shadows, #1)
    $9.49 $1.99
  • Touch of Eternity (The Curse #1)
  • Touch
  • Dragon Rider
    $5.99 $1.99
  • An Unwelcome Quest
  • EARTHCORE
    $4.99 $1.49
  • Luna: New Moon
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Traitor's Kiss (The Traitor's Circle, #1)
    $7.80 $2.99
  • The Void of Muirwood (Covenant of Muirwood, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Dreadnought (Nemesis, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Dirty Magic (Prospero's War, #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • A Plague of Giants (Seven Kennings, #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • The Fire Queen (The Hundredth Queen, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Lies of Locke Lamora (Gentleman Bastard, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Red Knight Falling (Harmony Black, #2)
  • Star Wars: Thrawn
  • Zoo City
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Wishing Spell (The Land of Stories, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Sanctum (Guards of the Shadowlands, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Unmasked (The Vampire Diaries: The Salvation, #3)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • Afterlife
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Unseen (The Vampire Diaries: The Salvation #1)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • The Dwarves (The Dwarves, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Dryad-Born (Whispers from Mirrowen, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Unbroken Line of the Moon (Sagan om Valhalla #4; Valhalla #1)
  • Blackfish City
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Supernatural: Bobby Singer's Guide to Hunting
    $8.49 $1.99
  • Silvern (Gilded #2)
  • Some Fine Day
  • Random Acts of Senseless Violence
    $15.99 $1.99
  • Wicked: The Life and Times of the Wicked Witch of the West (Wicked Years, #1)
  • Mystic (Mystic, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Almost Girl (The Riven Chronicles, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Spell or High Water (Magic 2.0, #2)
  • Uprooted
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Wormhole (The Rho Agenda, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Dragons of Nova (Loom Saga, #2)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • The Ciphers of Muirwood (Covenant of Muirwood, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Amid Stars and Darkness (The Xenith Trilogy #1)
  • Otherkin
  • The Last Adventure of Constance Verity
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Traveler (Fourth Realm, #1)