Start by marking “Gatekeepers (Dreamhouse Kings, #3)” as Want to Read:
Gatekeepers (Dreamhouse Kings, #3)

Gatekeepers

(Dreamhouse Kings #3)

The house talks. It breathes. And it's hungry.

The Kings have been in the creepy old place, their new home, for only a few days, but they've experienced enough terror to last a lifetime. And the mystery is growing even more baffling. Shadowy and shifting, the big house conceals doors into other worlds that blur the line between memories and dreams-and the slightest

Published January 8th 2009 by Thomas Nelson Inc (first published December 30th 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Gatekeepers, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Gatekeepers

Start your review of Gatekeepers (Dreamhouse Kings, #3)
Jerry
Nov 01, 2015 rated it really liked it
A Quickie Review

More twists and turns are in this third volume, which makes it just as insane as the previous ones. If you've read the series up to this point, you should definitely keep going.

Score: 4/5
Caroline
Aug 28, 2016 rated it it was ok
I'm sorry, but these books have gotten super boring. The first one, HOUSE OF DARK SHADOWS, was pretty cool, pretty suspenseful. But these books take a very simple plot and stretch it unnecessarily over way too many books. After I finished this installment, I balked when I saw there were SIX total books in this series. Why?!?!? I think WATCHER IN THE WOODS and most of this book (GATEKEEPERS) could have basically been cut out, except for maybe a couple parts that could have been built into the ...more
C.
Apr 08, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I would like a feedback scale that goes higher, to ten stars. “Gatekeepers”: Robert Liparulo’s cliffhanging third novel, which I staved off for a year, is excellent. His present choices waver from four stars. It is annoying to protractedly deny the King family fortunate breaks, then obliterate the solace that comes. However those instances were jubilant and momentous, meriting more than three stars. I can’t deny I read this non-stop: in one day! I finished a 305-page novel in one straight ...more
Michael
Sep 07, 2010 rated it really liked it
Wow! Robert Liparulo is a fantastic storyteller! He most definitely has a very polished, skilled way of telling stories which keeps you captivated the entire book.

The first three books of this series are excellent. I actually thought this was a trilogy, so to find out that there are THREE more books was a huge shocker, although I can't wait until I can read the last three books.

The contents of this story are definitely for teenage+ readers since the King family members travel to violent worlds,
Long Live Wonderland
Gatekeepers was a really fast read, but is was still as entertaining as the first two were. There were choices that Xander made that were EXTREMELY questionable, but David and all his perfection more than made up for it. This book wasn't as well written as the first two books, however it is definitely worth the read.
C Joy
Wow! What a house! The action never stops, it's difficult to grasp that the events are happening within one to two days. I can't stop reading this, I'm already 30% through with the 4th book (Timescape) and I need a breather.

I liked how the characters matured, they philosophize, think of the bright side of things after near-death experiences from one portal to another. Jesse, their grand uncle, was the one who built the house and he is really wise. The concept of hostility towards time-travelers
April Erwin
May 12, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Wow! That's my take on this book - WOW!

I almost feel silly for being this excited about a kids/teens book series, but honestly after reading it I think just about ANYBODY would be psyched. I was lucky enough to read books 1 and 2 (House of Dark Shadows and Watcher in the Woods) back to back. Waiting for Gatekeepers to release was like sitting on pins and needles... for MONTHS. Then, once it's in my hands I've got it read in one afternoon and the wait starts all over. Somehow though, the waiting
Stephanie  Weatherly
Aug 30, 2016 rated it liked it
I didn't enjoy this 3rd book in the series as much as the previous two books. One of the things I enjoyed most about this series was the creepy/haunting factor of the house, and this book lacked all presence of that. Most of the book was set in the portal fighting and looking for mom. (I won't spoil whether or not they found her) While the ending left me curious, I'm not sure if I will continue on with the series.
Melissa
Sep 21, 2009 rated it really liked it
Great middle grade series featuring a creepy house and the family who resides there.
Kris
Oct 17, 2018 rated it liked it
3 1/2 stars.
Again, a decent continuation of the series, but - again - not as much action as I would have liked, considering the subject matter.
Speaking of the subject matter, the marketers of this series are trying so hard to sell it as teen horror, but there's really very little spookiness to the books. Yes, there is Phemus, the Neanderthal-like henchman of the main villain, and there is the main villain himself, but he's mostly just your basic time-traveling assassin with a plan to take over
Sarbjot
Oct 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: robert-liparulo
This was 4.5 because of all the excitement, action, detail, just everything it contained in this book. I salute to you for making this happen thank you so much for this wonderful story I loved every bit of it. I mean it truly.

Xander is so well put together he knows wants he's doing, always has a plan and wants everything to go well. Even when *wink* *wink* something happens. But the whole family brings me joy, the determination in their voice and eyes makes me what to do something dangerous (in
Nevaeh
Apr 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book grabs at your emotions, directing your attention to every detail. At times your heart skips a beat, and others you laugh till your stomach aches. The ending to this book interested me, I wanted to read the next book because I was scared for their lives, “Are they going to get out in time?” And “What if they don’t and they get stuck there and have to find a way out?” Every thought of what might happen next makes me more and more interested! Can’t wait to read book four, Timescapes.
(I
Dayna Smith
The third book in the Dreamhouse Kings series. After their father is taken away by the police, Xander, David, and their younger sister are left alone in their creepy house. They still have to find their mother, who has been kidnapped, and taken to another time. They also need to avoid Taksidian who wants their home, the evil monsters who emerge from the door, and what's up with the elderly man who has just appeared and offered to help them? Fans of the series will enjoy this installment.

Jessica
Jul 12, 2019 rated it liked it
This one was 2.5 stars. I want to really enjoy this series, but being halfway through it, I am not sure I am motivated enough to purchase three more books. I think the idea is interesting, but it's not going in quite the direction I expected. It's more...strange out of place action scenes in portals than about time/place hopping and different dimensions. This one was better than book 2, however.
Cindy Lyon-Stepp
Jun 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
As I read more of this series I'm more torn. I feel most characters seem spot on but other, well, one in particular disturbs me. Xander seems to flip flop his characteristics. Maybe it's his age (boy to man) but sometimes I'm like, yeah, he'd do this or that and other times I'm like are you kidding me?? I'll read on. * opens book 4*
Tara
Sep 24, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: audiobook
Karen
Jan 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
I have to be getting close to the end, right? Well...apparently not, lol. So now we have a villain to contend with, as well...and more heroes with Uncle Jesse and his caretaker Keal showing up to help in battle.
M.J
Shelves: favorites
It was really good
Chris
Jan 15, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Loved it. And I'm so glad I already have the next book in the series. This one ended on a real cliffhanger.
Mike Corgan
Jul 05, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Another very good books in the Dreamhouse series. Half way through the series and a lot to be resoved.
Megan
Nov 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
Dawn
Mar 03, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Out of time Taksidian wants the Kings out of the house. He is trying to turn the community against them and has Dad arrested. The kids are on their own. Unbelievable chaos happens and the kids cannot leave the house in fear of not getting back in. Jesse and his nurse Keal show up when the kids need them most. Jesse built the house that everyone wants and fears.
Heather
Dec 29, 2011 rated it really liked it
Antwan Davis
Oct 08, 2019 rated it liked it
The book was really interesting, I recommend it for Harry Potter type people.
Joy Landers
Sep 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing
great 6 book fantasy series, written for teens/young adults. I feel these are great adult books, you have time travel, supernatural events, action/adventure. it's the complete package as far as entertainment reading
Bethany Phillips
Aug 08, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This third book was awesome and my first time reading it. I don't know why it took me so long to read this it was so awesome. It was better than the first two.

There was more shocking moments and this one was definitely harder to put down because I just wanted to know what was going to happen and what else could go wrong for this family. What other things do the Kings have to do just to stay alive and do what they need to while worrying about a guy that wants the house for some reason.

I liked
Lori Twichell
Oct 08, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Liparulo is obviously on a roll. Written as one story that’s been broken up into several different books, Dreamhouse Kings is an amazing adventure that seems to climax again and again but the ride hasn’t even come close to an ending yet. At this point in the story, I wish that there was a little more emphasis on trust in God. I know it’s a fantasy but the King family has been raised as strong believers. There’s more room for insertion of a little faith in some of these situations without being ...more
Kelli
Dec 22, 2012 rated it really liked it
Final rating: 3.7 stars.

You know, to be honest, whenever I finish a book in this series and I sit down an hour later and think about it, I groan and just want to get this series over with. I know it sounds terrible, but whenever I start the series I don't think so low about it.

This book was a lot better than the last 2. I'm still hoping that the series will get better, but this book wasn't bad at all, especially compared to the first one.

So, this specific book is about the Kings advancing
Luseride
Aug 09, 2012 rated it really liked it
Gatekeepers by Robert Liparulo
Book 3 in the Dreamhouse Kings series

Life is a bit fast paced and dramatic for the King family. In the space of a week they have moved from Los Angeles to northern California, found a house that is a bit creepy and strange, discovered things about the house, and had their mother stolen by a giant of a man. That would be Book 1.

Book 2 brings a bully, a strange guy causing problems, visits to other times through rooms of the house, searching for their mother, family
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• To Save a Life (To Save a Life, #1)
  • Maybe a Fox
  • Return to Alastair (Tahn Dorn #2)
  • Nightmare (Dangerous Times, #2)
  • Wasteland (Children of D'Hara, #3)
  • Bride of the Rat God
  • Those Who Hunt the Night (James Asher #1)
  • Dragonsbane (Winterlands #1)
  • The Ladies of Mandrigyn (Sun Wolf and Starhawk, #1)
  • Party Games (Fear Street Relaunch, #1)
  • Elyon (The Lost Books, #6)
  • The Kraken Project (Wyman Ford, #4)
  • Venom and Song (The Berinfell Prophecies, #2)
  • Tomb of Ancients (House of Furies, #3)
  • Broken Angel (Caitlyn Brown, #1)
  • The Inside Story
  • The Final Hour (The Homelanders, #4)
  • The Chess Queen Enigma (Stoker & Holmes, #3)
Robert Liparulo's novels, Comes a Horseman, Germ, Deadfall Deadlock, The 13th Tribe, and The Judgment Stone,have received rave reviews. His short story "Kill Zone" is included in the anthology Thriller, edited by James Patterson. He is also the author of the best-selling young adult series DREAMHOUSE KINGS: House of Dark Shadows, Watcher in the Woods, Gatekeepers, Timescape, Whirlwind, and Frenzy. ...more

Dreamhouse Kings (6 books)
  • House of Dark Shadows (Dreamhouse Kings, #1)
  • Watcher in the Woods (Dreamhouse Kings, #2)
  • Timescape (Dreamhouse Kings, #4)
  • Whirlwind (Dreamhouse Kings, #5)
  • Frenzy (Dreamhouse Kings #6)
“To you, death does not simply end life. It steals away the sunsets you'll never see, the children you'll never hold, the wife you'll never love. It's frightening to almost lose your future, and it's heartbreaking to witness death snuff out other people's tomorrows.” 24 likes
“The old man said, " The house is talking to us." "What's it saying?" David said. Jesse said, "It's hungry.” 1 likes