Start by marking “A Magical Inheritance (Ladies Occult Society, #1)” as Want to Read:
A Magical Inheritance (Ladies Occult Society, #1)

A Magical Inheritance

(Ladies Occult Society #1)

Miss Elizabeth Knight received an unexpected legacy upon her uncles death: a collection of occult books. However, when one of the books begins talking to her, she discovers an entire world of female occultist history opened to hera legacy the Royal Occult Society had purposely hidden from the world.
However, the magic allowing the book to speak to Miss Knight is fading and
Published May 20th 2019

To ask other readers questions about A Magical Inheritance, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Magical Inheritance

Start your review of A Magical Inheritance (Ladies Occult Society, #1)
Sherwood Smith
Another entry in the magical English Regency era, this one thoroughly enjoyable. It moves at a stately pace as our heroine, a spinster resisting being pushed into marriage by a mostly-repellent family, inherits a library of magical books.

The women are terrific in this story, from the acerb Mrs. Egerton to Elizabeth's bestie Maria Thorne. I also liked the way magic is being developed; it appears that women had once dominated the field, but men have taken it over as well as dominating politics.

In
Jenia
Jul 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
So cozy and cute! I love stories of women helping each other succeed!
Lisa
May 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
First off, I loved this book! Ive been, somewhat patiently, waiting for a year to read this and it did not disappoint.

The thing I loved most about this book, at absolutely no surprise to myself, is the characters. This author is great at writing characters and I think she is particularly in her element here with characters navigating society in early 19th century England. Elizabeth Knight is such a wonderful character. Shes a woman in a particular difficult situation in life, getting older and
hedgehog
Interesting concept that never leaves the station to be executed. Whatever happens in the second book could have been combined with this one for a novel where something actually happens. The plot of A Magical Inheritance is the main character taking inventory of her dead uncle's occult books and meticulously writing down how much money she makes from selling them. That's it. She's not even finished by the end of the novel! You know how in most books and movies, there will be scene cuts to imply ...more
Hteph
Feb 12, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Delightful!

Often the prose book of this type is either glaring anachronistic or tiresome pretentious. The former should have been written in another setting and the latter promptly disposed of.
This book manage the perfect balance between this two and is a restful read with a iron claw inside a velvet glove lurking.
The only criticism that isnt pure happy gushing, is that it is only the first half of a bildungsroman ... I crave more before Im even remotely satisfied!
Wol
Jul 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
4.5, rounding up.

Coaxed me out of my reading slump! A gentle novel that succeeds in capturing the spirit of Jane Austen's playful style, and laced with scathing social commentary. Highly recommended for people suffering grimdark fatigue. :)
Ashe Armstrong
May 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
This is not an action-packed book. If the cover and premise didn't prepare you for that, I'm sorry.

It is, however, quite an enjoyable book. Elizabeth is a lovely woman and I kept threatening to set people on fire for her or hoping she would do it herself. The characters are all great. Everyone has their own personality and quirks. Everyone has something to offer. Krista's always really good with three things: characters, dialogue, and food. All the antagonistic men in the story scream to be
Debbie Gascoyne
Jul 03, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2019, fantasy, kindle, regency
I enjoyed this a lot more than the 3 stars would indicate. The characters are sympathetic, the basic premise intriguing. It is very much the first in a series, doing more to lay groundwork than complete a dramatic arc, although there are a couple of small personal achievements before the rather abrupt end. Mostly what prevented me from giving this a higher rating was a lot of what I considered careless diction. Why bother having a regency setting and trappings if you allow interjections such as ...more
Nicole
Oct 06, 2019 added it
RTC!
Sharkie
May 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019-top-10
So full disclosure - I absolutely love this book and can't think of a single thing to complain about. Let's just keep this in mind as I write this review. :P

We follow Elizabeth, an unmarried woman in a time where that was looked down on. She's a strong, amazing lady who has a tough lot in life, but fights through it and continues being her stubborn self (that's a compliment, by the way).

I absolutely love Elizabeth. And Maria. And Aunt Cass. And Susan. And Alice. And Sally. And Henry. And Mr.
BriarGrey
May 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019-read
Fans of Fantasy of Manners, the Occult, Jane Austen, Regency books, etc. will be enthralled with this new series. I had it pre-ordered and read it in practically one sitting. It hit all the right buttons. Ms. Elizabeth Knight is the Austenian heroine we need, and I can't wait to get even more of the world developed. My only beef is in the fact that she had the audacity to actually sell books. I do believe books are meant to be hoarded, right?
Nicole Luiken
Jun 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
Charming and well-researched. I've read a lot of books set in this time period--but they were romances which this book isn't. Elizabeth is unmarried and (at least in book one) there isn't even a hint of romance. The tension in the book comes from how very vulnerable unmarried women were to their male relations--forced to give up their money, made to work as unpaid servants, shuttled to different residences. It's very heartening to see Elizabeth emerge out from under her father's thumb.
jillz
Jun 11, 2019 rated it liked it
Fantasy of manners where the protagonist inherits a collection of occult books and spends the rest of the book cataloging, selling and defending the choicest ones from the male dominated Royal Occult Society. I enjoyed the characters and the feisty protagonist. The book comes into it's own in the second half, when the Ladies Occult Society begins to form.
Unplugged
Jun 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
What a delightful book! We follow Miss Elizabeth Knight, as she tries to sell magical texts and books in London, and that is the majority of the plot. However, what truly shines in this book is the attention to detail of the settings and characters. I could not stop reading, and would have blown through this novel in hours if I didn't have chores and work to do.

We get to see a lot of emotional growth and strength from Elizabeth, our only POV, but through the use of letter-writing, we also get a
Conciere Taylor
Aug 19, 2019 rated it it was ok
While I enjoy Jane Austin as. A writer I wasn't expecting this to be heavy on Jane Austin Regency adventures and very very light on the occult, therefore, I was very disappointed. Other than that you do get a good grounding in the era. If nothing else, it may stop women of the 21st century from longing to live in the 19th. There's nothing romantic about being subject to someone else's ideas about what women are and can and can't do or shouldn't do.
Joanne Watkins USA
Nov 30, 2019 rated it liked it
Interesting beginning

This is an interesting cast of women in the restricted regency world. The novel does show how vulnerable women were. Not a romance either. This is about a group of women finding each other through occult books. The reason this is 3 stars is because it doesnt have a complex story. It felt like a prologue not a full story.
Laurel Kristick
Jan 15, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: aty-2020, fantasy, kindle
Around the Year (ATY) 2020 Prompt #5: First book in a series new to you.

Loved this book! Great characters and a setting that felt real. Regency England with magic, with a group of female friends working together to bring the Occult studies back to women. The Royal Occult Society, which excluded women, reminded me of the all-male Royal Society of the time.
Regina
May 27, 2019 rated it liked it
Nice book, but a bit all over the place.
M.L.D.
Jul 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I adore this, and I would give it more stars if I could.
Bea
RTC. I'm eager for the next book.
Dianthaa
Nov 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Turns out, I love regency fantasy. A Magical Inheritance was witty and delightful to read, I loved the geeking out over books, the fantasy of manners style, and the great characters. We might all moan about the size of our TBRs, but Miss Knights doesnt even fit in her house.

I can see how someone might expect a book where the entire plot revolves around cataloging, storing and occasionally selling books, and counting pennies while worrying about the condition of women in regency England, to be a
- ̗̀ saku ̖́-
Jun 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
An author of amazing nonfiction books about Georgian and Victorian London, Krista D. Balls fiction books have been on my to-read list for a long time. I read this one right after it came out.
Its mannerpunk, so an urban fantasy type story set in Regency times without a huge adventure or quest. Instead, its mostly about protagonist Elizabeth sorting through the hundreds of books her uncle left her upon his death, and learning how to do magic, with the assistance of an aunt, some friends, and a
Pierce
Oct 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book felt so good to me. I'm not sure if I have been reading too many books that create less happiness, but everything about this novel felt like home. Yes, shitty things happen to good people in this story. Ms. Ball does a great job illustrating the oppression that women suffer through on a daily basis. But she also filled this tale with such vibrant characters, so filled with life and defiance and love and hope for one another, that they are so infectious to cheer for. I felt the pain and ...more
Shala Howell
Jun 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
The weekend I treated myself to A Magical Inheritance was one of the happiest reading weekends I experienced last June. Strong female characters. A sprinkling of magic. Period costumes. All delightful. But what really kept me hooked were the deliciously dysfunctional family dynamics. I am really looking forward to the next entry in this series.
Joan Wake
Stacey
Aug 04, 2019
Caine
Oct 17, 2019

• Part-Time Gods (DFZ #2)
  • The Last Sun (The Tarot Sequence, #1)
  • The Vampire Knitting Club (Vampire Knitting Club #1)
  • Gideon the Ninth (The Locked Tomb, #1)
  • The Hanged Man (The Tarot Sequence, #2)
  • Stitches and Witches (Vampire Knitting Club #2)
  • Minor Mage
  • Swordheart
  • Wyrde and Wayward (House of Werth Book 1)
  • Beasts Made of Night (Beasts Made of Night, #1)
  • Thirteen Doorways, Wolves Behind Them All
  • The True Queen (Sorcerer Royal, #2)
  • The Bone Ships (The Tide Child, #1)
  • Moontangled (The Harwood Spellbook, #2.5)
  • Gold Fame Citrus
  • Monstress, Vol. 4: The Chosen
  • A Fierce and Subtle Poison
  • Her Majesty's Wizard (Wizard in Rhyme, #1)

Ladies Occult Society (2 books)
  • A Ghostly Request (Ladies Occult Society, #2)

News & Interviews

With clever detectives, missing jewels, murderous women, daring spies, and more, mysteries and thrillers deliver page-turning delight with ever...