Start by marking “The Schoolmaster” as Want to Read:
The Schoolmaster

The Schoolmaster

Earl Lovelace's Trinidadian novel tells the story of an isolated rural community coming into contact with the wider world. The villagers learn, only too cruelly, that progress can mean the destruction of cherished values. ...more
Published January 1st 1997 by Heinemann Educational Books (first published 1979)

Start your review of The Schoolmaster
Ryan
May 31, 2020 rated it really liked it
Faber and Faber seem in no hurry to reprint the work of the Caribbean master Earl Lovelace. Salt has its champions, but this remains my favourite among his spare, tightly controlled novels.

Also a favourite of James Kelman, incidentally.
BookOfCinz
I read "The SchoolMaster" while in high school, during that time I found the book a little tedious, mainly because I had to write long winded essays on themes, character development, plot, etc.

Re-reading this book as an adult and as an adult living in Trinidad and Tobago (which is where the book is set) really gave me a greater appreciation for the novel. The book is set in a remote village in Trinidad, time goes slowly, nothing ever changes. The village elders lobbied for a school to be built
Karina
Jul 23, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very well written - possibly the reason why its tragic subject matter is so emotive. Earl Lovelace remains one of my favorite Trinidadian authors.
Papillon Polyglotte
Up until two weeks ago, the only book I knew from Earl Lovelace was the "Dragon Can't Dance" but since I couldn't find it in the library, I thought, well let's see what "The Schoolmaster" will bring. I was not disappointed.
I couldn't understand why people would be skeptical of having a school in their village. After all, education meant progress and anyone who was against it was either selfish or ignorant, I thought. But when sweet Christiana's innocence was shattered, I felt like so was mine.
Candy
Jan 07, 2021 rated it really liked it
This novel honestly haunts me to this day....So much emotions and so much tragedy. If you're looking for a novel that can touch you deeply read this one! ...more
Tasia dolcy
Oct 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
It is amazing
Jerry
Jun 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Just a Story

THE SCHOOLMASTER is just a story. It is a moment in time for a peasant village in Trinidad and it is as beautiful as it is raw. "....and the donkey that had made the most runs between Kumaca and Valencia began to bray and broke into a trot and surprised the acolyte on its back who was completing his first trip." A moment in time where stories are starting and others are playing out. We are party to only one and it is enough. TEN STARS!
Aniadayahu
Mar 09, 2009 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Caribbean Natives
I don't remember the full details of this book but i remember i really enjoyed it. it was sad. the rape and death of the girl, the mourning of her boyfriend, the anger of the community when they found out etc.. it was a good story ...more
Portia S
Oct 08, 2011 rated it it was ok
Shelves: caribbean
Change is inevitable, so the people of Cumaca learn with the coming of a new school in their rather provincial and agrarian community. With the coming of the schoolmaster is unfortunately the bringing of odious habits. :(
Stasha
Jul 20, 2009 rated it it was amazing
I had to read this in preparation for CXC Exams. It really upset me what happened but at the same time it was enjoyable reading. It had a unique Caribbean essence in it.
Darren Doyle

• The Bluest Eye
  • Silver Sparrow
  • Beauty to Die For: A Spa Mystery
  • A Simple Path: Basic Buddhist Teachings by His Holiness the Dalai Lama
Novelist, playwright and short-story writer Earl Lovelace was born in Toco, Trinidad in 1935 and grew up in Tobago. He worked for the Trinidad Guardian, then for the Department of Forestry and later as an agricultural assistant for the Department of Agriculture, gaining an intimate knowledge of rural Trinidad that has informed much of his fiction.

He studied in the United States at Howard Universit