Start by marking “Dandelion Summer” as Want to Read:
Dandelion Summer

Dandelion Summer

Told through the keen eye of an adolescent, a story exploring the bonds between fathers and daughters, mother and child and how families manage their secrets, big and small.

When Madelyn learns her father will be gone for the summer, she thinks it's the worst thing that can happen. But missing him is soon replaced with the challenges and surprises right in front of her. Wha
Published May 30th 2019 by Black Rose Writing

To ask other readers questions about Dandelion Summer, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dandelion Summer

Start your review of Dandelion Summer
A.J. McCarthy
Apr 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I was provided with a free copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.
I was immediately pulled into this story by the historical flashback and the mystery of how it tied into the future generation. The author did an excellent job of developing characters who faced challenges on several levels, but who worked to overcome those challenges and, in the process, established and renewed bonds that couldn’t be severed. Many complex relationships are explored and exposed in this novel, all tangl
Jill Hand
May 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Mary Ellen Bramwell sent me a copy of Dandelion Summer in exchange for an honest review.
Growing up I never cared much for YA/Middle Grade novels. Sorry, Judy Blume, but I wasn't interested in what Margaret might be saying to God. The Sweet Valley High crew left me cold. However, there was one series I couldn’t get enough of when I was a preteen and that was Trixie Belden. Those I liked because they were mysteries. Dandelion Summer is a mystery, as well as a coming-of-age story, a bildungsroman i
Christine
Aug 29, 2019 rated it liked it
Dandelion Summer is bound to be a page-turning mystery for the 8-12 set. The plot is thoroughly developed with foreshadowing to help young sleuths solve the mystery along with protagonist Madelyn. The writing is accessible and the cast inclusive of those with disabilities in a non-patronizing way. However, despite being set in the 1970s with flashbacks to the 1940s, racial diversity is absent.

This book's organization should also appeal to younger readers, with chapters being organized by weeks a
Sharon Middleton
Apr 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Note: Spoilers!

I was skeptical when I started this novel. Maddie seemed like a typical, immature, selfish teen. It was “all about me.” But then a miracle happened. This was the summer when Maddie grew up.

I was impressed as the carefully wove the transformation from girl - brat - to young woman. I was even more impressed as later after layer unfolded, revealing the heart of the story.

I wept as I read how Rachel hid her inability to read for so long. Some of my most treasured memories are of my m
Myrtle Brooks
May 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
Sometimes when trouble of massive proportions comes to call, the things you worried about before become a lot smaller. Although, like unwanted dandelions dotting a lush green lawn, rooting out your concerns one-by-one proves a formidable task.

Thus, Madelyn’s summer unfolds: each chapter a day of the week in a ten-week period; each day portraying with clarity a stairstep to a teenage girl’s maturity.

Dandelion Summer is a sensitive, empathetic family tale, whose characters are fleshed-out and real
Debby
Jul 01, 2020 rated it really liked it
While checking on the availability of a book titled Dandelion Summer by a different author, I cam across this on e by an author ai'd never read or heard of for that matter. I took a chance on this one and I'm SO glad I did. What an enjoyable story with several captivating and heartwarming plot threads and great cast of characters. Dandelions do play a central part in the story too.

I look forward to checking out more of Bramwell's work.
Ange
Dec 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A refreshing narrative

What a lovely writer. The perspectives are clear & refreshing. I would recommend this very enjoyable read to anyone. It’s not too predictable, the details are beautiful & very enlightening, bringing clarity & depth to the story whilst bringing relatable memories of being that age again, very clever.
Deb
Sep 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I had a hard time putting this one down. I’m not sure if a fourteen year old could’ve actually handled all that went on here but all in all I think it’s a great read for middle schoolers. I highly recommend it for Christian based libraries and schools as well.
Dana Biscotti
Jul 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed the protagonist's summer of growth. She was forced to accept responsibilities in the family, which led to delightful surprises for her and the reader as she strengthened her relationships with her mom, her neighbor, her friend, and the rest of her family. It was a fun read.
Amanda Mahan
May 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A coming of age story reminiscent of "To Kill a Mockingbird," in all the right ways. Readers will find themselves rooting for the main character as she embarks on a quest for justice, leans into family, and grows into herself. Thanks for a great read.
Barb
Apr 02, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Maddie seemed like a typical, immature, selfish teen. Her dad was going away for the summer and she was mad. It was all about me. But then a miracle happened. This was the summer when Maddie grew up. And what a summer it was....Present and past....mystery and family
Sara B.
May 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Heartwarming. Sweet tale of a lovely family.
Lorraine
Feb 17, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Loved it!
Heidi
Aug 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
5 stars for being a page turner .
Lily
Dec 28, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very enjoyable story with really likable characters. Some things were a bit unrealistic, but I still enjoyed it.
Nancy Barnes
Mar 14, 2020 rated it liked it
I liked the storyline but found it moved a bit too slow for me. There were “days” at the end of the book that could have been deleted without negatively affecting the outcome.
Arjaye
Feb 29, 2020
Judith Pratt
Mary Ellen Bramwell sent me a copy of her book!
It's a teen-tale (YA, they calls it). Madelyn's father has to be away all summer--and he's her favorite parent.
Then she discovers that her mother can't read. In 1970--for her mom, 1950, no one diagnosed dyslexia. That's fascinating, as is Madelyn's journey to help her mom learn to read.
Also intriguing: Madelyn's uncle has cerebral palsy and is in a sheltered workshop. I didn't realize that CP can come with intellectual disabilities. But Uncle Tommy
Jane
Nov 30, 2019
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• The Five Wishes of Mr. Murray McBride
  • To Everything A Season
  • The Beekeeper of New York: From Yemen to the US, Yusra Khaldun must fight to save her brother.
  • Auld Acquaintance (Prime Time #1)
  • Up in Smoke (Glock Grannies #1)
  • Christmas at the Lakeside Resort (Lakeside Resort #1)
  • The Secrets Mothers Keep
  • The Secrets We Kept
  • Women Within
  • Breakfast at the Beach House Hotel (Beach House Hotel #1)
  • No Cry For Help
  • Second Chance at Christmas Inn: A Sweet Small Town Christmas Romance (Love Tries Again Book 3)
  • Murder at Kensington Gardens (Ginger Gold Mysteries #5)
  • Orphan Train Escape (Hearts On The Rails, #1)
  • When She Returned
  • The Secret Keeper
  • The Wish List of Albie Young
  • Father Figure
Mary Ellen Bramwell, a bestselling and award-winning author, has been writing stories since she was ten years old. After working in other fields and raising five children as a stay-at-home mom, Mary Ellen returned to her first love, writing. She resides in the Mountain West with her husband of over 35 years and her youngest son.