Start by marking “61 Minutes to a Miracle: The True Story of a Family's Devotion” as Want to Read:
61 Minutes to a Miracle: The True Story of a Family's Devotion

61 Minutes to a Miracle: The True Story of a Family's Devotion

Published September 23rd 2019 by Our Sunday Visitor

To ask other readers questions about 61 Minutes to a Miracle, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about 61 Minutes to a Miracle

Start your review of 61 Minutes to a Miracle: The True Story of a Family's Devotion
Rosie Hill
Aug 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
4.5 stars! The writing was compelling and I didn't want to put the book down! I've read the shorter version of the story on Bonnie's blog before, but the book version felt fresh and new to me with all the added details, and Bonnie's writing is funny and relatable. Things slowed down near the end, which I suppose was inevitable but after all the earlier excitement it felt like a big change of pace (although honestly, it probably felt like that in real life as well). This is a quick read that will ...more
Katie Bogner
Jun 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: catholicism
There are two kinds of good stories. Some stories are well crafted, interesting, and we enjoy hearing them once getting what we need from it that single time. Other stories we can listen to over and over again, gaining something new with each retelling. Bonnie Engstrom and her family have a lot of good stories to tell, including that of her son James’ stillbirth and (alleged) miraculous healing. I’ve heard Bonnie tell their story in my 5th grade classroom, at a retreat at my parish, on a podcast ...more
Mandi
Aug 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I received an advanced copy of this book and finished it in two days. The true genius of this books is the simplicity of it. It would have been easy to over sensationalize a miracle of this proportion - a stillborn child whose heart starts beating after 61 minutes! - but the author instead lets the incredible events speak for themselves. The straightforwardness of Bonnie’s writing is not without depth and emotion, but does steer clear of sentimentalism, which makes it all the more powerful.

You
Ashley Strukel
Aug 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019, owned, my_kindle
I’ve heard Bonnie speak on her family’s miracle multiple times, so I didn’t expect this longer version of the story I’m familiar with to captivate me as much as it did. I read late into the night thinking, “I know how this ends! Why am I still up?” But I stayed up the way you stay up visiting with a friend late into the night, not wanting the conversation to end.

I found Bonnie’s writing style inviting, her vulnerability and honesty authentic, and her story...miraculous! I learned so much about
Colleen
Sep 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Not only is this an amazing story, truly miraculous in every way, but Bonnie is a gifted story teller. Her beautiful writing allowed me to feel as though I had personally witnessed the miracle myself as I cried and rejoiced alongside her. Through this tale you come to love Bonnie, the Engstrom family, and most importantly, will find yourself unable to keep yourself from glorifying God, crying out in praise of His goodness and mercy.
Patti
Oct 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
This book was a short and easy (in the literary, not emotional sense) read and I polished it off in 24 hours. It would have been one sitting if I was being more irresponsible with my sleep! However, the conciseness does not undermine the WEIGHT of this story, humbly and faithfully told by Bonnie. She and Travis live nearby and while I have never met them, many of the individuals in her retelling of this miracle are mutual friends, priests that have heard my confession, etc. I think this deepened ...more
Jenna Hines
Aug 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Encouragement for those who are already following Christ. Inspiration for those who are on the journey home. A good, cleansing, happy cry for everyone who needs it.

This book is short and encouraging. The Body of Christ is out there cheering us on every single day.
Johannes
Sep 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
So proud of my dear friends Bonnie and Travis for sharing this story with the Church and with the world. So humbled by what is seen and unseen. "He has proven his might, his arm outstretched with strength."
Stephanie
Sep 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A beautiful story from the mother’s POV of the miracle baby who survived against all odds. As Fulton Sheen’s canonization comes closer, this is a must read.
Kathryn Whitaker
Aug 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Katie
Oct 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Every time a baby is born on a tv show or movie, I tear up. Even when I’ve seen the movie a hundred times, like Father of the Bride II. Every time I read a birth story online, I’m tearing up. Babies being born give me all the good feelings and then those feelings leak out of my eyes.
I threw this little book in my bag a few weeks ago when I was going to be early for Mass. I thought I’d start reading and take a few weeks to finish in 5 minute chunks before Mass when I arrived early (w
Kate
Aug 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A concise, deeply spiritual account of a verified miracle.

I started this book this morning & finished it this afternoon. I couldn’t put it down. Bonnie’s voice, her experience, is so clear & relatable, so personal. Her experience of a good-birth-turned-traumatic is so gripping, I couldn’t tear myself away.

Bonnie & Travis’s trust in God is inspiring, but also very relatable. “I didn’t say ‘or else,’ but it was implied. I wasn’t making a statement of faith, I was letting G
Charlie
Oct 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
“Miracles are no cure for unbelief,” is one of Bishop Fulton Sheen’s many memorable quotes. I humbly make this addendum to his quote, “But they sure can stop you in your tracks, and point you to the door of faith!”

This is a story of divine intervention that cannot be denied, written in an intimate, conversational manner that will make you feel like you are walking alongside Bonnie and her family on their emotional journey. You’ll read about the incredible miracle that was presented to Pop
Meghan
Sep 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
When I first heard about this book, I could not wait to read it. I have always been fascinated by the saints and this book tells the story of a modern day miracle through the intercession of Archbishop Fulton Sheen. This book exceeded my expectations.
When @bonnieengstrom and her husband’s son was born, he was a still born. Yet, after 61 minutes his heart began to beat. His miracle and story led to the process of beatification for Archbishop Fulton Sheen. Bonnie so beautifully shares her heart i
Marcy
Aug 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is such an excellent book! While I was already aware of some of the details of this miracle, reading Bonnie’s full account is nothing short of amazing.

Bonnie Engstrom is so down-to-earth & it’s one of my favorite things about her. Her personality shines through every page as she shares how humbling & amazing it is to have a miracle worked in her own family!

As a Catholic convert from a Reformed Baptist Church, I am always sensitive to how Saints and miracles are spoken of in our Ch
Sylvia Johnson
Sep 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
An easy to read account of the miraculous healing of James Fulton Engstrom through the intercession of soon to be officially Blessed Fulton Sheen. The book is short and compelling, with quick chapters and a good amount of detail.

The most beautiful takeaway from the book, for me, was the incredible scrutiny this family and all the related/involved persons underwent as part of the process for submitting the now confirmed miracle. Most of us will never experience having a miracle of this magnitude
Emily Malloy
Aug 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Wendy
Aug 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
As a huge fan of Fulton Sheen and a follower of Bonnie's blog for years, I have been eagerly anticipating this book! I wasn't disappointed. Bonnie gives a full, no-nonsense account of her son James' miraculous recovery after being pulseless for over an hour after birth. Throughout her pregnancy, the Engstroms had prayed for the intercession of Fulton Sheen. When her son was stillborn and in the hours, days, and weeks afterwards, people worldwide prayed that Fulton Sheen's prayers would be effect ...more
Ann-Marie
Sep 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: catholic
This short, easy to read book was so encouraging to me. It's easy to read the Bible about hearings and miracles and think, "that's great, but that just doesn't happen today." Except that - it does. Bonnie's son was stillborn and had no heartbeat for 61 minutes. Despite his brain being deprived of oxygen for that time, he has no lasting effects from his traumatic birth. Bonnie, and the thousands who prayed with her, asked for a miracle through the intercession of Fulton Sheen. The book recounts h ...more
Kathy
Oct 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is an amazing book... as I read the author's description of what was happening during the birth of her son, I felt like I was in the room. I made the mistake of starting the book in the evening and had a hard time putting it down to go to bed, and when I did put the book down, I had a hard time falling asleep because it is so well written that I was on an adrenaline rush from all of the action in the story.

I'm glad this was a quick read, because, as I said before, there was quite a bit of
Hafsa M
Aug 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
I didn’t know too much about Fulton Sheen until I read Bonnie’s story of her son’s (then alleged) miracle through the intercession of Fulton Sheen. It was truly a moving story that helped me search for a deeper faith and devotion to the saints. Reading the book reignited that fire. It’s been awhile since I’ve read a spiritual book and I’m so glad this was the the first one after a faith dry spell. Bonnie’s book touches on so many emotions and she is completely honest about them all. I definitely ...more
Beth Williby
Aug 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
For a couple years, I have known the bare bones story of the healing of Bonnie & Travis's son. But never could I have imagined what it was like to live through it. Bonnie's writing is clear, concise, and absent any holier-than-thou triteness that someone who doesn't know Bonnie might expect. Reading this book is like sitting with her over a cup of coffee while she tells you the story.
God truly blessed Bonnie and her family through the intercession of Archbishop Fulton Sheen. And He ble
Barb
Sep 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
Most people who pick up 61 Minutes to a Miracle already know how the story turns out. But the spoiler in the book's title won't ruin the experience of reading Bonnie Engstrom's riveting story of the miracle that opened the door not only to life for her child but also to the beatification of Fulton J. Sheen.
Read my full review.
Chris
Sep 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019
This book is a must read! I love how Bonnie exudes her faith, love and devotion to God telling the incredible story of her son's stillborn birth and his returning to full life after 61 minutes. This true story proves the Catholic Church is alive and well despite much negative mainstream media coverage. Miracles are happening and Saints do exists among our modern world.
Julie Hoover
Sep 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
If you don’t believe God still works miracles, think again. We don’t often hear about them today, but they happen. The story of the miraculous healing of James trough the intercession of Fulton Sheen will leave you holding your breath. Beautifully written with her true voice, Bonnie shares this will all of us.
Amy
Sep 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Bonnie and Travis's story will not only touch your heart, but this powerful account of a true miracle will encourage your faith and trust in God's divine plan. I read this in only two sittings and could not stop talking about it with my family.
Greta Bergmann
Sep 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is a sit down and finish it that same day kind of book. You won’t be able to put it down but bring the tissues because you will be crying right along with Bonnie as she reveals the raw emotion and amazing details of her son’s truly miraculous birth!
Jill
Sep 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
Amazing story!
Kim Padan
Aug 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Read this one day. Review to come later.
Amanda Fetzer
Sep 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
An amazing story of a family's faith. Beautifully written!
Bonnie Engstrom is a writer, baker, speaker, and homemaker. She is a regular contributor at Blessed Is She, a frequent radio and podcast guest, and an old school blogger. Bonnie is the author of the Blessed Is She study MYSTERY: Believe. Her new book, titled 61 Minutes to a Miracle: The True Story of a Family's Devotion, tells the story of her son's alleged miracle through the intercession of Vene ...more