Start by marking “Valkyrie 101: How to become a Valkyrie (The Afterlife Academy: Valkyrie, #1)” as Want to Read:
Valkyrie 101: How to become a Valkyrie (The Afterlife Academy: Valkyrie, #1)

Valkyrie 101: How to become a Valkyrie

(The Afterlife Academy: Valkyrie #1)

Her dream comes at the price of human souls.

Ylva has always wanted to become a Valkyrie, and now she's enrolled in her first year at Afterlife Academy, she's getting her chance. But nothing is simple about bringing souls to Valhalla and she soon finds herself embroiled in ancient rivalries and new friendships.

With more human souls in need of collection than ever befo
Published May 1st 2019 (first published April 29th 2019)

To ask other readers questions about Valkyrie 101, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Valkyrie 101

Start your review of Valkyrie 101: How to become a Valkyrie (The Afterlife Academy: Valkyrie, #1)
Danielle's
Sep 12, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I absolutely loved this audiobook. I’ve read a few academy books but this is my first Valkyrie book.

Ylva wants to become a Valkyrie, make friends in high places and befriend a wolf. What she doesn’t expect is a quirky roommate, friends from other species and a connection to a wolf that could lead her down a path she can’t return from.

There are some really interesting characters in this book. This is only the beginning but the chance at love, death and magic I’m hooked.

I received an ARC in exch
Rosemary Standeven
Nov 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this book – and it looks like it will be the start of a very good series.
Thanks to “Harry Potter”, there are now many supernatural series now set in boarding school. There is often the ‘in’ and ‘out’ crowd, something (or somebody) threatening the school and the pupils, and a learning curve that our hero(es) will go through. All those expected tropes pop up here, and there are also nods to the Pern dragon books, with the Valkyries imprinting their dusk wolf familiars.
But just as
Melissa Levine
Sep 29, 2019 rated it it was ok
Brianna Belbin
Aug 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This was an incredible start to a new series! Ylva is starting her journey at Afterlife Academy, the school for training afterlife assistants, in hopes to become a Valkyrie. Nothing is like she thought it would be- a wood elf is training to become a Valkyrie instead of a Reaper, she has a dragon for a roommate, classes are getting cancelled left and right, and the dusk wolf and her pups go missing. Human death is at an all time high and every student’s studies are accelerated even though most fi ...more
Renée
May 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Arizona Tape’s first book in The Afterlife Academy series - Valkyrie 101 is a fabulous beginning to this new series.

As Ylva’s story develops her life at the academy is anything but as straight forward as she might have thought, whilst she trains to become an Afterlife Assistant.

Valkyrie 101 has an original twist on an academy style story and I loved the relationship building between Ryoko and Ylva.

I highly recommend Valkyrie 101 and can’t wait for Valkyrie 102.
Carol Hutchinson
Oct 28, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A real experience!

Ylva has arrived for her first year at the Afterlife Academy. Ambitious, she is ready to get to training to become a Valkyrie but things aren’t quite right at the Academy and it isn’t only Ylva who notices. With the teachers acting aloof, and rising demand for human souls to be collected, Ylva finds herself on the brim of adventure when she starts navigating Academy life, and when she finds she might be the only one who can help with the ongoing issues, Ylva learns there is mo
Lorraine Rusnack
Aug 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I was so caught up in the story that I had to download the next one immediately. I love the characters and the story is so original. I really started to think about the afterlife and how this might work. Get imaginary. The narrator was very good as well. I just can’t wait to start the next book.
Coco.V
Oct 12, 2020 marked it as to-read
Shelves: freebie
🎁 FREE on Amazon today (10/12/2020)! 🎁
Mena Marco
This was my second time reading a book that involved Valkyries but the characters were definitely more authentic and variety in general. There were dragons, wind child, reapers and it's definitely interesting for me to see how all these creatures were living together in an Afterlife Academy. Unfortunately, I don't see any of them dwelling together or learn more about them in this book. Is it because it's the first book, I wonder. Most of the characters were hostile to one another so it was tough ...more
Daisy Sauceda
Jul 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
****I voluntarily reviewed this after receiving a free copy****
So this is a good academy to start. It has intrigue, a little mystery, some bullying and a confused girl. The main character is Ylva and she is going to the Academy for the afterlife. She has been wanting to become a Valkyrie since she was little. She wasn't born in a noble family and feels that she has to accomplish a lot to bring pride and recognition for her family. She makes friends with a Dragon, Wood Elf and other Wind Children
Suzanne Hare
Jun 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Ylava of the West, daughter of Helga, a fierce Wind Child was determined to become a Valkyrie. She starts at the Academy to begin training to help souls pass over after death. To be a great Valkyrie she needs a Dusk Wolf to be a companion and sort of familiar. She is determined, driven and has so much to learn. But things at the Academy are not going as smoothly as possible.

Arizona Tape has created an amazing new series filled with a multitude of great paranormal characters and interesting situa
Billie
Jun 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Her dream comes at the price of human souls.
With more human souls in need of collection than ever before, Ylva and her classmates are about to get a crash course in death.

This is the first book in The Afterlife Academy series - V
A_MOTUS
Aug 24, 2019 rated it liked it
This book had an interesting vibe and a main character very complex. Raised in prejudiced environment but confronted to the fact that maybe the others are not so bad, in additions with new challenges, Ylva grows a lot in this first book. That's the point I liked the most: this opening of mind as we turn each page. Of course, I loved the world and characters building too. I mean dragons, elf and magnificent but dangerous creatures with a complete background given by small touch at key points in t ...more
Ruby Ridge
Nov 29, 2020 rated it it was amazing
After reading some pretty 'heavy' books I felt like relaxing with a more laid back one so I got this free from Amazon and wow did I luck out.
Don't think Harry Potter. Ylva kind of reminds me of myself on my first trip overseas from the US to Taiwan and when I say the US I mean the rural deep south US too many years ago. Well I was expecting, I don't know what, maybe Bruce Lee, certainly mysterious people but what I got was nice ordinary folks doing ordinary things, earning a living, paying taxes
Mareike
Jul 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
I started the book, feeling like I really wanted the main character to be put down a peg or two...she was rude, full of herself and just a plain pain to watch. As I progressed through the book, she calmed down, admitted that she needed help and opened herself up to new experiences. I could totally get behind a character like that!
The storyline is amazing and original - the writing is at a professional standard, the characters are intriguing and the events of the book kept me on the edge of my se
Eren
Jul 07, 2019 rated it liked it
Pure escapist fun. In this book there’s a lot of telling rather than showing, but that seems normal in UF. It also made for an easy read which is nice after reading a complex and prose dense novel like Girls of Paper and Fire.

I did enjoy this story but I would be lying if I said that there wasn’t much of a plot. There is one, but the story moves at a weird pace. Of course, this is an introductory book so I’m sure the next one fills in some blanks.

This book felt like a prologue than it did an act
Amanda
Sep 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I love Valkyries so I was quite excited to see Arizona Tape's academy book is all about Valkyries. I love the classes and learning about the veil and Valhalla. We head to The Afterlife Academy with Ylva and find her training to become an afterlife assistant is not quite what she was expecting.

I love the side characters and seeing the difference in the Wind Children, Dragons, and Wood Elves. The budding friendship/relationship between Ylva and Ryoko is so sweet. Pickles the dust bunny is so ador
Michelle
Jul 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: booksprout-arc, arc, 2019
Valkyrie 101 is an interesting and original storyline. This author has created an amazing world filled with intriguing characters and a story that pulled me in and had me on the edge of my seat. Ylva wants to become a Valkyrie and she gets her chance once she's enrolled at the Afterlife Academy. This paranormal story is filled with drama, mystery, action, rivalries, suspense, new friendships and so much more. I can't wait to read the next book to find out what happens next. I voluntarily reviewe ...more
MGB
Oct 05, 2020 rated it liked it
Say you wanted to write a book on Norse mythology. You always wondered how the Valkyries came to be and knew how to do their thing. Clearly you would need someplace for them to be educated - hence the Afterlife Academy. Now you need to wrap this story around something, how about "Mean Girls" and struggling to come to understand Lesbian life. Now you've got the story. Throw in some Dust Bunnies and some Wolves to bring in the cute factor. Tell it well, which she does, and you have a story.

Unfortu
TipseyBookReviews
May 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: paranormal, ff, academy
Tape has created an interesting world. Ylva has been accepted into the Afterlife Academy. She is single-minded, ambitious, and a little bit, okay a lot, oblivious when it comes to relationships. I liked seeing Ylva become more aware and open-minded. Ryoko is an interesting character, and I liked watching their relationship begin. This is a slow burn f/f, an I can’t wait to see the relationship continue to build and see what happens with the Afterlife Academy :)
bookgeek607
Jul 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
In a world full of potential afterlife attendants, and finding collage isn’t what she expected, Ylva is learning how to survive it all. I picked this up and couldn’t put it down! It builds a world of differences, acceptance, and problems. When the weight of finding what’s lost feels like it’s on your shoulders, and having no clue how to fix it all. Arizona Tape builds a world full of neat personas and knows how to rope you in taking you on a fantastic journey!
Rose Brown
Jul 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Arizona has given us a well-written original storyline concept, with intriguing characters that draw on your emotions both good and bad. There is so much going on that you can’t put the book down before you finish it. I love how you watch the main character growing and maturing during the course of the story. I can’t wait for the next installment. I recommend this book.

Destiny Bridwell
Sep 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
I received a copy of this book for a fair and honest review. There is where they come to lead to ferry soul to the after life. I think this is a very cool concept. It is an academy style book and it is like going to high school with mean girls and troublemarkers. It is a good introduction to how things work so far. They still have to go to classes and disover their talents. I don't want to give too much of the story away, but it is worth the read.  ...more
Marie Fraser
Oct 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book. It was well written and the characters and story were both well developed. I love the characters with their individual personalities and dynamics. The story was excellent. It had action, suspense, intrigue, emotion and romance. I’d highly recommend this book and can’t wait for the next book in this series!!

NB: This book ends on a cliffhanger.

Michelle VanDaley
Apr 04, 2020 rated it liked it
My review is based on the audiobook. Overall I found this to be an interesting and original storyline. I however did not connect with the main character. I found her obnoxious & judgemental. I was hoping she would learn acceptance and see the error of her ways ( and she may in future books) but she didn't in this one. The narrator was wonderful bringing the story and characters to life. I would give book 2 a chance since I did like the overall story ...more
Tera Comer
May 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc
This is the first book in the authors new Afterlife Academy series. This is a very interesting story with a very likeable main character. Although we see that Ylva has plenty of growing up to do I hope that we get to watch it throughout the series.

Tanya
Jun 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
She is finally going to learn to be a valkyrie and she is in her first year of school. It is not going to be so easy as they will be given a crash course. More and more souls need to be collected and so they are being given the chance. Can they do it? See if they can

Andrea Green
Jun 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I loved everything about this book and just couldNnt put it down, fantastically written with stunning and captivating characters, Multi layers of sub plots that are easily followed and wonderful action with romance. A must read for so many reasons. I am sure you will love these books as much as I did

Annalisa
Jul 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book. I cant wait to read the next one. Ylva comes from a family of wind children and wants to be a valkyrie like her mother. . she attends a school full of secrets, abscent teachers, and learns to look beyond her prejudices.

Scarolet Ellis
Aug 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Valkyrie 101: How to become a Valkyrie by Arizona Tape is a wonderful story to read. This is book number one in this wonderful start to a brand new series that I have loved reading. I highly recommend this story to everyone who loves reading about fantasy and pranormal romances.

• Basics of Spellcraft (Ember Academy for Young Witches, #1)
  • Twice Upon A Time
  • Hotel Queens
  • Shattered Illusions (Ashryn Barker, #1)
  • Ravens' Blood Academy: 1 (Ravens' Blood Academy, #1)
  • Whiskey Storm (Whiskey Witches Midnight Rising #1)
  • Saving Year Three (Grim Reaper Academy #3)
  • Catacombs (Academy of Ancients #1)
  • Return of the Asgard (The Valkyrie Chronicles, #1)
  • Dusk Gate (Soul Bound Book 1)
  • Venandi
  • Broken Knights (Gifted Academy #4)
  • Luna (Mist Riders, #1)
  • Treasured
  • Heart of Gold (Heart, #1)
  • The Dividing
  • Acts of Mercy (Mercy Temple Chronicles #1)
  • Demons in the Bedroom (Paranormal House Flippers, #1)
Arizona Tape is quite a chaotic, young adult that shares her house with a cactus plant and has sleep dates with her bed. She makes up stories in her head all the time like a crazy person and occasionally writes them down too. But only if the mood is right.

In her spare time, she enjoys discovering new places with her friends, making all kinds of food as she waltzes through her kitchen like a tornad

The Afterlife Academy: Valkyrie (6 books)
  • Valkyrie 102: How to become a Valkyrie (The Afterlife Academy Book 2)
  • Valkyrie 103: The Afterlife Alliance (The Afterlife Academy: Valkyrie Book 3)
  • Valkyrie 105 (The Afterlife Academy: Valkyrie, #5)
  • Valkyrie 104: The War Of Souls (The Afterlife Academy: Valkyrie Book 4)
  • Valkyrie 106 (The Afterlife Academy: Valkyrie Book 6)

News & Interviews