Start by marking “Fate's Star (Chronicles of the Warlands, #0.5)” as Want to Read:
Fate's Star (Chronicles of the Warlands, #0.5)

Fate's Star

(Chronicles of the Warlands #0.5)

Five years before the events in Warprize and Destiny’s Star...

Her family dead, her home destroyed, all she has left are her wits and her songs...

When the flames of civil war rage across the Kingdom of Palins, Warna of Farentell has no choice but to flee to the neighboring Barony of Tassinic. The daughter of a wealthy merchant, raised to run a noble house in the hope of a g
Published April 15th 2019 by Birch Cove Press (first published April 3rd 2019)

Start your review of Fate's Star (Chronicles of the Warlands, #0.5)
Corina
Apr 09, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy

review coming....
Marta Cox
Apr 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: my-reviews
This prequel to the fabulous Warprize takes the reader back five years and in the process offers readers both insights and a sweet romance. Featuring Warna a very human heroine who finds himself alone and Verice an Elven Baron who for whatever reason cannot resist protecting the innocent . We are thrown into a taste of life as war steadily encroaches with moments that made this reader startle as I realised just how everything fit into what for these characters is still to come.
In all conscience
Blodeuedd Finland
I have never any of these in order so it is fitting that the last bok is the first book, but to be fair, this one was just published ;)

Verice is an Elf living in human lands and he has been a baron there for quite some time. He is honorable, takes care of those who live on his lands and kind. But oh man, or oh elf, when he sees Warna it does seem like he forgets he has a brain.

Warna is fleeing war and comes to Tassinic. And what can I say, he just carries her away. Not for any nefarious reasons,
Limecello
Jan 31, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2020, library
So ... Maybe in ~normal times this would be a 3 star book but ... I just found so much of it delightful and considering how many books I've DNF'd of late ... the fact that I read this book says something
[So ... I guess I don't know what's going on with the "chaosreaver" and while I liked him and his lady - the seer - it was so random and I know it's supposed to set up all the other things but it was vague to the point of ... not being ANNOYING but ... I just ... didn't care? Could not find it in
Mitticus
3.5

Prequel to "Warprize" and "Destiny Star". Tells the story of Verice , elven Baron of Tassinic, and Warna , a human refugee from the war of the Usurper.

It's a very quick read. Without major surprises , in an ambient of grief and remembered betrayals.

Warna is a warm and strong woman. Though not a warrior , she is able to stand for her rights and freedom, and stubborn enough to help to heal old wounds. Verice, is the classical gentleman, proud warrior but compassionate.

A very important part of
m ✦ foesandlovers
4.5 STARS

I really adored this book. It's a very lovely historical fantasy story with a strong romance at its core. there's magic, a bit of angst, a slow-burn, political conflict, prejudices between elves and humans, some action and two absolutely adorable idiots who can't seem to realize they're in love with the other.

I thoroughly enjoyed every second of this one and definitely will be reading more by this author. 🥰
Maria
Jun 09, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, romance, series
A country turn apart by war, a leader kicked out of the Elf Court and a lone human with a gift for song.

Why I started this book: Warprize has long be a favorite of mine, so I was thrilled to discover that Vaughan had written a new book.

Why I finished it: This prequel circles around and ties both of Vaughan's series together. I'm going to have to go back and reread all of them again. Such a hardship to revisit old favorites.
Stephanie
Apr 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
When I read my first book by Elizabeth Vaughan, Warprize, I fell in love with the world and characters she'd developed. Since then I've bought every novel she published. This one concludes her Chronicles of the Warlands and the Epic of Palins according to what she wrote at the ending. That's a real pity. But then there are hints that she might be writing more books set in this world, so I'm very much hoping for that to be the case.

As for 'Fate's Star' itself: I would say it works best if you kno
Katie(babs)
Reading a Elizabeth Vaughan book is like drinking a grea cup of coffee on a Sunday morning when it's perfect weather. She is my go-to for everything alternative romance, and her books always have an epic style feel to them. Fate's Star is a little different from the other books in her Warlands series. There's not too much action and suspense. There's a lot of worldbuilding and colorful characters, but no big surprises or wow moments. This is more about two very different people learning to trust ...more
Linda Baker
Apr 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
The story of Fate's Star precede Warprize (Chronicles of the Warlands #1) by about five years and set the stage for later events in the series. Warna of Farentell is the daughter of a wealthy merchant who has been brought up for a hopefully noble marriage. Warna possesses all the household management skills for running an aristocratic household. But war and invasion leave her without any immediate family and on the run with other survivors. After some time in hiding, Warna is rescued by an Elvis ...more
Sarah Anne
Oct 21, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle, reviewed
3.5/5 stars

I really enjoyed this novel – it's a sweet romance. However, I've only read the Warprize trilogy (the first three books in the Chronicles of the Warlands series). And, while this novel is a prequel to that series, that really only becomes evident towards the end, meaning that having read those books provided really no context at all for this story. The story of Verice and Warna, I believe, is set in the same world as Vaughan's series Epic of the Palins, of which I have read none of th
IA
Jun 20, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
My first book by Elizabeth Vaughan, it won't be the last.
The book has a lot of worldbuilding and colorful characters, but no big surprises. It is more about two very different people learning to trust and care for one another.
A nice introduction to Chronicles of the Warlands. I'm sure to read the series.
Aug 06, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy-romance
This had so much more plot and backstory than I was anticipating. I thought that this was just going to be a somewhat fluffy love story, but this book did some heavy lifting. It set up not only a bit of the background for Palins before Red Star, it gave background for the Plains and Xy and Warprize.
Katy
Apr 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Series

This is one of my favorite series, characters that are near and dear to my heart. I had to laugh when at the end I realized the scruffy cat was none other than Bethal's tag alone.
Eva S. Gholami
Aug 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fate's Star

This was a good end to a wonderful series. So sorry to see it end. But she has promised us my stories.
It is a wonderful mix of fantasy, magic with a touch of history.

Beenee Reads
Apr 12, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, romance
This is one of the most original and fantastic series I have ever read!
Amanda
Oct 22, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Not my favorite, but at least we know where the cat came from.
Happi
May 03, 2019
20231110
Aug 20, 2019
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »

• The Wind's Call (The Broken Lands, #4)
  • Death Wind (Elven Alliance, #3)
  • Secrets Bound By Sand (Dragon Ridden Chronicles, #4)
  • The Lasaran (Aldebarian Alliance, #1)
  • American Witch (American Witch, #1)
  • Threshold of Annihilation (The Firebird Chronicles, #3)
  • Wayfarer's Keep (The Broken Lands, #3)
  • The Prince's Bargain (The Elves of Lessa, #3)
  • Alpha Night (Psy-Changeling Trinity, #4; Psy-Changeling, #19)
  • War Bound (Elven Alliance #2)
  • Fierce Heart (Elven Alliance #1)
  • Mist's Edge (The Broken Lands, #2)
  • Blood Heir (Aurelia Ryder, #1)
  • Dragged through Hedgerows (Songs of the Amaranthine #3)
  • Dragon Unleashed (Fallen Empire, #2)
  • The Turncoat King (The Rising Wave #1)
  • Followed by Thunder (Songs of the Amaranthine #2)
  • Hemmed in Silver (Songs of the Amaranthine Book 5)

Elizabeth A. Vaughan is the author of the Chronicles of the Warlands, a fantasy romance trilogy from Tor Books: Warprize (her first novel), Warsworn, and Warlord..

She's always loved fantasy and science fiction, and has been a fantasy role-player since 1981. By day, Beth's secret identity is that of a lawyer, pr

Chronicles of the Warlands (6 books)
  • Warprize  (Chronicles of the Warlands, #1)
  • Warsworn  (Chronicles of the Warlands, #2)
  • Warlord  (Chronicles of the Warlands, #3)
  • Warcry (Chronicles of the Warlands, #4)
  • WarDance (Chronicles of the Warlands, #5)
  • Warsong (Chronicles of the Warlands, #6)

News & Interviews