Start by marking “Swann's Down” as Want to Read:
Swann's Down

Swann's Down

Published May 20th 2019 by Down & Out Books

To ask other readers questions about Swann's Down, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Swann's Down

Start your review of Swann's Down
Dave
Swann’s Down appears to be the fifth book in the Henry Swann mystery series. This is an enjoyable mystery novel set in Manhattan and Alabama featuring a mismatched pair of operatives, skip tracer Swann and disbarred lawyer Goldblatt. It is a low key mystery without gunfights, Chase scenes, or voluptuous redheads. But it is the story of a plodding operative - he doesn’t like being called a private eye - who tackles two mysteries and gets involved with con games, Fortune tellers, hit men, and miss ...more
ABCme
Apr 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle, netgalley
This is a fast and fun read solving two mysteries at once. The writing is superb. Streetwise and intelligent dialogue kept me glued to the pages.

Our main character Henry Swann doesn't call himself a private eye, but he does know how to find people and things and that's why he gets hired.
In this story there are two women missing. One is a charlatan who took a huge sum of money from a friend. The other is the girlfriend of a hitman, who's needed in court.
The path to discovery is well crafted and
Gail C.
May 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
In Charles Salzberg’s SWANN’S DOWN, Henry Swann takes on two cases. The first case presented is one featuring a purported fortune teller who has taken Swann’s partner's former wife for most of her inherited fortune. While Swann has just begun to start tracing said medium, he is approached by an attorney he’s worked for in the past who wants him to track a young woman needed to provide an alibi for his client.
Throughout the book, Swann moves between the two cases, sometimes with the questiona
Darcia Helle
Swann’s Down is an entertaining hard-boiled crime novel that reads well as a stand-alone.

I’m a sucker for character-driven fiction, and Charles Salzberg gives us exactly that. Henry Swann is a fascinating, intelligent, rebellious PI who does things his own way, consequences be damned. His colorful personality drives this story forward.

The various aspects of the plot come together with ease. I enjoyed investigating alongside Swann and getting to know the lively cast of characters.

My only grumbli
R.G. Belsky
Jun 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I’m a bit late to the party for praising Charles Salzberg’s Henry Swann mystery series, even though I was a big fan of Salzberg’s last two stand-alone novels, Second Story Man and Devil in the Hole.

But I didn’t read my first Swann book until recently. Now I’ve just finished his new one, Swann’s Down, and I highly recommend this charming and unique series.

Henry Swann is a (sort of) investigator working two cases at once in Swann’s Down - a missing psychic who swindled money and a missing witness
Bookworm
Jun 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
This crime thriller caught me by surprise as I finished it in one sitting.

Swann’s Down is the fifth installment in the Henry Swann series but reads perfectly well as a stand alone. The book starts off with detective Henry Swann being sent by his partner Goldblatt to track down the psychic who scammed his ex-wife Rachel out of almost seventy five thousand dollars. As he searches for psychic Madame Sofia, the storyline takes a different twist when Swann’s former boss hires him to find a woman name
Joan
May 25, 2019 rated it liked it
I enjoyed this character driven mystery. And Swann is quite a character. He's a tough guy, reminding me of the hard boiled PI novels I read decades ago. But Swann is also a smart character, quoting Sartre and Epictetus and reciting Shakespeare. In addition to a very interesting lead character, Salzberg provides some great dialogue. When criticized, Swan responded, “I've put in for a personality transplant but evidently I'm way down on the list.” (831/3834) He also has some intriguing description ...more
T Olsen
May 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Very well written story, with great characters and dialogue. It's very easy to read, with a straight timeline, and the plot is very good as well. Even though this book is far out in a series, it's no problem reading it as a stand-alone.
Nancy
May 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Henry Swann usually works one case at a time, but his “partner” Goldblatt has him tracking down a con artist to try to collect the money that she extorted from Goldblatt’s ex wife.

At the same time Swann’s lawyer friend wants to hire him. This lawyer will pay a decent fee for Swann to track down his client’s girlfriend. How could he turn that down when it was highly unlikely that Goldblatt would pay him anything?

So, Swann is running here and there trying to find people who don’t want to be found.
The Literary Apothecary
Excellent! I will read everything Charles writes!

In what seemed like three stories melted together into one, Swann's Down is a quick, yet smooth ride. Think speeding in a Maserati...smooth, but fast! Swann reminded me the of PIs from the black-and-white movies. Full of cynicism and wisdom, I could not help but like him.

I highly recommend this book to those who enjoy detective stories. and characters with intellectual depth.
Read the full review
Annarella
Apr 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A very good, enjoyable and entertaining mystery.
I loved the style of writing, the well written characters and how the engaging plot was developed.
A very good mystery, it's the first I read in this series and had no problems in understanding the plot or the characters.
I look forward to reading other books in this series.
Highly recommended!
Many thanks to the publisher and Netgalley for this ARC, all opinions are mine.
Victoria
Jul 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
Henry Swann’s Manhattan business is a murky one that only a big city, with all its ragged fringes, could support. He’s mainly a skip tracer, someone whose true skill is in finding people and sometimes things—lost, runaway, hiding—and a good guide to the dark corners that would never appear in a tourist’s Top Ten.
His self-described partner Goldblatt is loud and unpredictable, and Swann would prefer not to be saddled with him, but he’s harder to get rid of than a bad memory. How little he actuall
Cy Wyss
Jun 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
By themselves, neither the minor continuity errors nor the infrequent tense shifts would make Swann’s Down by Charles Salzberg lose a star from me. Other than that, the prose is highly readable and concise, smooth and compelling. The plot is gripping – who wouldn’t want to find the scam artist who bilked a young woman out of her inheritance and make that scammer pay it back?

Prose and plot are there, so why did I find Swann’s Down not as satisfying as I might have liked? I think it is the charact
Jessica Bronder
Jun 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
Henry Swann has been asked by his partner Goldblatt to look into a psychic that swindled his ex-wife out of her inheritance. Although not expecting much except information on Goldblatt Henry heads out to an abandoned hotel on Coney Island for information about this fake and finds himself into the world of the occult.

At the same time, attorney Paul Rudder asks Henry to hunt down a witness for a mob hitman. It seems the hitman is claiming that he didn’t kill the person and his girlfriend would pro
Michelle Willms
Jun 21, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction, mystery
Henry Swann has been asked to find a missing psychic. While this isn’t his normal type of case, Swann can’t turn down the request of his partner. Maybe, while searching for this psychic, he can discover more about his partner’s murky past.
At the same time as he’s searching for the psychic, Swann is asked to find a missing witness. This witness can possibly provide an alibi for a hitman going on trial for a murder he claims he didn’t do.
Swann emerges as an interesting character, in spite of the
Nish Amarnath
May 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Sometimes, life unfolds in ways that defy logic. One may then seek answers from beyond the physical plane of existence. The psychic world provides just that. Or so it appears. It doesn't matter if the insights you get from psychic readers are so vague that you end up combing through multiple interpretations of what was said - before finally zeroing in on one that suits the reality you've created in your head (or heart). Against that backdrop, the chicanery of psychics who claim that one is hexed ...more
Jessica Belmont
Jun 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
Charles Salzberg has crafted a really fun, fast-paced read with two mysteries to solve. I love the writing style that kept me engaged and the characters were intriguing enough to keep me flipping through the pages.

Swann’s Down is the fifth book in the series, but I had no issues reading it as a standalone. Henry Swann is a compelling lead, with fantastic growth and an interesting story.

I really enjoyed that this novel had two mysteries yet neither took away from the other. It didn’t feel like in
George
Nov 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019
This was a new author and a new detective for me to follow. The characters are quirky but interesting and the plot is just fast enough to keep you turning the pages to work towards the ending. This was suggested to me by a friend and I liked it enough to continue reading the works by this author.
Cheryl M-M
May 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
In this Henry Swann mystery, Henry is asked to look into two cases. He is asked to find a killer's alibi and to find a charalatan with a penchant for scamming the vulnerable out of a lot of money.

It's curious that Henry Swann doesn't describe himself as a private investigator per se. He just finds people and things, that's all. He doesn't solve crimes and he isn't responsible for anyone involved in anything considered a crime. He finds things - do you understand the difference? Yeh, I'm not sure
Dawn
Jun 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
I chose to read this book after receiving a free e-copy. All opinions in this review are my own and completely unbiased.

Even though this is the fifth book in the Henry Swann series, it stands on its own. In fact, I didn’t know there were other books in the series until I was done and getting ready to write my review. Just what I need…more books to add to my TBR list!

Henry Swann has two mysteries to solve at once. Neither is a run of the mill missing person, and he finds himself doing more invest
Kevin McNamara
May 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Thoroughly Enjoyable

Henry Swann suddenly has two cases, a possible psychic scam and looking for a missing potential witness of a murder. Throughout both cases we see Swann’s tenacity and quest for the truth. Mr. Salzberg brings Swann to life by adding much humor, wit and cynicism. Hope to see more of Swann in the near future. Highly recommended.
Cheryl
May 13, 2019
Charles Salzberg
May 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Cathi
Terri
Robbie Bauldree
Mary Cloud

• The Red Lotus
  • A Bad Day for Sunshine (Sunshine Vicram, #1)
  • The Jumble Sale (Adventures of the Misfit Monsters Book 1)
  • The New Husband
  • The Lynmouth Stories
  • Buried (Agent Sayer Altair, #2)
  • The Wedding Crasher
  • A Matter of Latitude
  • The K Team (The K Team #1)
  • Read on Arrival (Bookmobile Mystery, #2)
  • Black Nowhere (Lisa Tanchik #1)
  • Diver's Paradise
  • When He Vanished
  • Hid from Our Eyes (Rev. Clare Fergusson & Russ Van Alstyne Mysteries, #9)
  • What Happened to Flynn
  • The Shape of Night
  • Within Plain Sight (Detective Byron, #4)
  • The Honky Tonk Big Hoss Boogie
Charles Salzberg's latest novel, Swann's Lake of Despair, is the third in the Henry Swann Detective Series. When rare photos, a scandalous diary, and a beautiful woman all go missing at once, the stage is set for three challenging cases for this skip tracer and his slovenly, disbarred lawyer friend, Goldblatt.

Devil in the Hole, his last novel, is a work of literary crime fiction based on the notor