Start by marking “The Captain of Her Heart (The Buchanan Saga, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Captain of Her Heart (The Buchanan Saga, #1)

The Captain of Her Heart

(The Buchanan Saga #1)

The year is 1777. As the brooding mists of war settle over a stark American battlefield, Captain Ritcherd Buchanan yearns for his native England—and for Kyrah Payne, the woman he loves. Wounded and disheartened, he eventually returns home, only to have Kyrah torn cruelly away from him and deported for a crime she didn’t commit. Desperate to bring her home, he joins a band ...more
Published April 1st 2004 by Crosswalk Books (first published January 28th 2004)

To ask other readers questions about The Captain of Her Heart, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Captain of Her Heart

Start your review of The Captain of Her Heart (The Buchanan Saga, #1)
TJ
Jan 24, 2010 rated it really liked it
Such a wonderful story that teaches true love can withstand ANYTHING and prevail.
Wendy
May 31, 2012 rated it it was ok
I hate, hate, hate when books are broken up into series without some resolution in each of the books.

The writing wasn't great. I was honestly bored in parts of the book and skimmed pages just trying to finish and figure out what happened. But I never did find out because the book only wraps up one little thread. Kyrah drove me crazy. She created so much drama, looking everywhere for Ritcherd to rescue her, only to reject him each time he showed up. I was thrilled when Daisy finally told her to
Chris Meikle
May 29, 2012 rated it did not like it
This book is horrible!! Never have I read a book with so much crying, sobbing, weeping, tearing, etc... It was both the hero and the heroine. Yuck! Mop my kitchen floor with the buckets of tears. She also repeated herself over and over. You read the same account two or three times. It was as if she was trying to make the book big enough to publish and she had no brain cells left to come up with a story line. I cannot recommend this to anyone.
Kathryn
Oct 22, 2016 rated it really liked it
I couldn't read this book fast enough to see what would happen! Loved it
Bethany Smith
Oct 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
intriging charters, complex storyline and a brave face
A.L. Sowards
Sep 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
I'll round this one up to four stars. It took a while to get into and I skimmed parts that were a little wordy, but I like the time period and the setting. The characters weren't perfect, but I liked that they felt sorrow when they did something wrong and I liked that they both grew as the story progressed. The ending wasn't complete, so I'll probably read the next book in the series, eventually.
Valerie
What an intense read! So much suspense I had to finish even when I already had an idea of what would happen. A lot of introspection, but still the story moved quickly. I loved how she developed the characters, they aren’t perfect, make mistakes, and even pay the consequences for them. There are some very triumphant moments in the dialogue when characters have to make a stand against evil, or when friends need to provide help.

This was my first book by Anita Stansfield; apparently one of her ‘
Barbara
Sep 30, 2015 rated it it was ok
Some parts of the story were really lovely, mostly at the beginning. The initial friendship was interesting and promising, but things started to fall apart once the characters grew up. The writing was a little simplistic - like it was written for younger readers. The show, don't tell rule for authors was broken pretty constantly which made it a little hard to really immerse myself and get lost in the story.

I had a hard time falling in love with the hero because he was incredibly dramatic and
Michelle Llewellyn
Sep 28, 2010 rated it did not like it
Just listen to the song "Captain of Her Heart" by Double and save yourself the trouble of reading this series. Note the change in publisher from Deseret Book to an independent house. The storytelling just isn't the same. Tragic.
Wealthy Ritcherd has been in love with peasant girl Kyrah his entire life but nobody wants them to get together; such as Ritcherd's evil mother who arranges to have Kyrah kidnapped from England and sent to the Americas. What Ritcherd doesn't realize before that cruel
Charissa
Jan 01, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This story takes place in England and the American Colonies during the Revolutionary war. A love between two young people is put on hold when Ritcherd is called up to serve for England in the war. Three years pass before he returns wounded. But his girl has been irrevocably changed by circumstances in his absence, and feels unworthy of his love after her father’s suicide and subsequent degradation by others in the community. Ritcherd does all in his power to restore Kyrah’s faith in herself and ...more
Becky
Nov 17, 2014 rated it liked it
haven't read a Stansfield book in a while, but I thought this one had a shot since I prefer her non-LDS based stories. The first half of the book was good and then it spiraled into a Stansfield no-no. Warning: spoil alert- why is it with her books that if sex occurs just once the girl always end up pregnant? Any time there are 2 individuals that should be together she tends to put someone else in between, usually marrying them to the "wrong" person first. The absolute worst case scenario does ...more
Susan Tietjen
Sep 27, 2016 rated it liked it
I have a hard time sometimes with Ms. Stansfield's storytelling. Her characters are always compelling, and her plot and theme are fascinating, but for me she tells too much of the story in narrative rather than allowing the story to unfold through her characters' eyes and voices. It was worth reading it, but I have to say I was a little disappointed with the beginning of the book, and the ending dropped me flat. I know it's a "Saga" and will continue, which is a saving grace, but I think it ...more
Teya Peck
Jul 04, 2012 rated it really liked it
It wasn't really my Favorite. I had misdeeds, but the illustration of deep profound love is quite remarkably delve into in the book. The depth of true, emotional and eternal love is the foundation of this book. I got frustrated and had a hard time with the constant trials, but nothing of that companies to the passion words expression of heart to heart feeling this book invoked. That was truly powerful.
Mandy
Nov 22, 2013 rated it it was ok
It's been a long time since I read an Anita Stansfield book. After she and I's reunion I've decided she should change her name to Anita Cheesefest. I felt like this author glazes over critical points in the story and then goes on and on over details that are irrelevant to the story. I found myself doing a lot of skimming. And it drove me nuts the entire book, that she spelled Richard "Ritcherd." I will not be picking up one of her books again.
Sandie Mixa
Aug 12, 2010 rated it it was amazing
I really liked this one. It was different, they knew each other as children and grew together, forming a strong bond. It was also cool how they grew up as English citizens and found themselves in America during the Revolution and became sympathetic to the patriot's cause.
The dynamics between their parents were unusual too and I like that he had to stand up to his mother and eventually forgive her. I want to read the sequel, but haven't found it yet.
Kaycee
Mar 22, 2008 rated it really liked it
Sometimes Anita Stansfield's writing drives me crazy. This book is no exception. However, the storyline is still quite intriguing. Cheesy, as always, Stansfield creates intensity without being morbid or dirty or distasteful. I love a good clean read! This comment goes for the entire series, but I do love it!
Bonnie
Jan 03, 2009 rated it really liked it
Just to be clear I don't love Anita Stansfield books as a general rule. In fact, I stopped reading the Gables series, mid book, all together. But, that being said I did really like the Buchanan Saga, they are worth reading and are not at all churchy like her other books are. This one actually makes no reference to her LDS faith.
Michele
Nov 26, 2012 rated it really liked it
This was recommended by a friend and read mainly for enjoyment. It was just that--enjoyable. I usually try to challenge myself to read things that are more substantial but it was nice to read something that didn't take too much thinking. Since the friend also gave me the next book in the series I read that as well.
Cheryl
Jul 04, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This is a very intense story that is hard to put down all the way through. I really liked looking at the American revolution through the eyes of British characters who didn't understand it at first, but grew to appreciate the American cause. The characters are strong and strong willed. I am anxious to learn how their lives progress is the next book.
Aubrey Chaves
May 19, 2016 rated it liked it
I really loved some parts of this book but most of it was just. so. annoying. I felt a little jerked around- it was like the frustration of the Romeo and Juliet ending- but dragged out and repeated so many times through the whole book, it got so old. As much as I'd like to know what happens, I just don't think it's worth it.
Erin
Feb 01, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Book 1 of the Buchanan Saga.

This is one of my favorites. It has a great deal of adventure and, of course, romance. Though all her books have the "happily ever after" ending, this book leaves you craving more and wondering what will happen in the future of these characters. Brilliantly written and captivatiNG, a must for everyone who loves a great adventure to curl up on the couch with.
Betty Ann Baer
Jan 08, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: kindle
Poor person meets rich person. Buchanan goes off to war of England against colonies. Poor girl loses everything. Buchanan comes back. Mother hates girl. Mother has girl deported. Buchanan spends months looking for her. Many set back happen during book. It is an over dramatized drama that goes on forever.
Patty
Jan 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A lot of praying and lamenting in this book. Intimate details are not dwelled on. (Clean). The story makes me proud to be an American.
There are 4 other books in the series. I could bring myself to buy the set. The preachy feel makes me think I won't finish the series. I'll purchase books one at a time. (There isn't a price difference for buying separately).
Maile
Mar 05, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Another amazing romance novel, but one that is full of family drama that ends up all working out in the end. Couldn't put it down once I picked them up. I was finished with them before I even gave birth to Kalena. I would stay up late just to finish the books. This is the series that started me reading.
Laura Bueno
Jul 06, 2012 rated it it was amazing

I thought I couldn't love a book by stansfield as much as the Gable Faces East, but I believe I love this series just as much if not more. I love the sailing aspect of it and the character Garrett. Must read! I also like it that it's not set with lds characters. I am lds but I don't constantly need to read about them. Lol.
Dan Masterson
May 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great book!

This book has such an interesting plot and unexpected twists. I love the way she writes and there is no questionable scenes. She brings the characters to life. Love it.
Malauna
Feb 10, 2015 rated it it was ok
The spellings the author uses for the main characters is distracting and feels out of place for a novel set in 1770s. The hero continually tells the heroine that he won't let any harm come to her when things are out of his control.
Megan
Mar 23, 2010 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book because it is pre-LDS culture, so it isn't overly cheesy and fluffy like alot of her predictable modern setting books. It was action packed, unpredictable, mystery and full of great emotion and surprises. An easy read.
Mignon
Aug 27, 2015 rated it liked it
I almost gave up on this one a few times. So much drama! It was never ending. It did get better by the end, but I feel like the book could have been half its length if they would have gotten to the point. Just talk about your problems instead of throwing fits and pouting for days.
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• The Bride Bargain (Prairie Promises, #1)
  • Nora Roberts Land (Dare Valley, #1)
  • Amish Truth Be Told (Peace Valley Amish Series Book 1)
  • Cupid's Bow: The First Generation Collection
  • Currawong Creek (The Wild Australia Stories #2)
  • Love to the Highest Bidder
  • A Lady of Esteem (Hawthorne House, #0.5)
  • The Proud Shall Stumble (Fire and Steel #4)
  • The Shadow Falls  (Fire and Steel, #3)
  • Out of the Smoke (Fire and Steel #5)
  • A Rose in the Highlands
  • Lord Fenton's Folly
  • Love's Unfading Light (Eagle Harbor #1)
  • A Heart Revealed
  • The Redemption of Lady Georgiana (The Lydia Collection #1)
  • An Amish Country Treasure (Amish Country Treasure #1)
  • Book of Mormon, Doctrine and Covenants, Pearl of Great Price
  • Jill's Red Bag
Anita Stansfield, the LDS market's #1 best-selling romance novelist, is an imaginative and prolific writer whose romantic stories have captivated her readers.
"With sales approaching a half million, Anita Stansfield has clearly found a niche in this market," said Nicole Martin, Publicist for Covenant Communications. "Her popularity stems from her ability to empathize with and write about the issues

The Buchanan Saga (5 books)
  • Captive Hearts (The Buchanan Saga, #2)
  • The Captain's Angel (The Buchanan Saga, #3)
  • Hearts Crossed (The Buchanan Saga, #4)
  • The Captain's Rose (The Buchanan Saga, #5)