Start by marking “Missing Angel Juan (Dangerous Angels)” as Want to Read:
Missing Angel Juan (Dangerous Angels)

Missing Angel Juan (Weetzie Bat #4)

4.14  ·  Rating details ·  2,190 Ratings  ·  69 Reviews

Lonely City

A tangly-haired, purple-eyed girl named Witch Baby lives in glitzy L.A. She loves a guy named Angel Juan. When he leaves for New York she knows she must find him.

Looking For Love

So she heads for the city of glittery buildings and garbage and Chinese food and drug dealers and subways and kids playing hip-hopscotch.

Finding Trouble

Her clues are an empty tree house

Published (first published September 26th 1993)

To ask other readers questions about Missing Angel Juan, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Missing Angel Juan

Bitsy
Oct 13, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
For every fan of the new modern love triangle, “tru wuv”, your love is my drug, I will die without you YA romance novels that have been published recently I humbly beg and plead for you to read this book. It’s time for you to wake up.

Missing Angel Juan is a fantastical, magical, fairy tale story that addresses some very real emotions, needs and addictions of a teen couple who separate through their fear and addiction to love.

Angel Juan leaves to try and find himself. He feels like he is only an
Kevin
Dec 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If it were possible to give more than 5 stars I would. I've loved all of the Dangerous Angels books so far, but this one spoke to me in a way the others did not. It's beautiful and sad and amazing all at the same time. Francesca Lia Block really outdid herself.
Lauren
Jun 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Beautiful.
Jordan
Dec 30, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
OMG WTF

.....but in all seriousness, this is a rather powerful story about finding your inner strength, even under extreme (mystical) duress.

Thank you, boyfriend, for filling my winter break with this engrossing novella series.
Lizbeth R
“Missing Angel Juan,” In my opinion, this is a good book. A tangly-haired, purple eye girl named Witch Baby that lives in L.A. is deeply in love with a guy named Angel Juan. Angel Juan once left to New York to find himself and to play his music, but after he left Witch Baby got into a depression. She wouldn’t eat or go out of her room. All she would do was think of her love Angel Juan. Her stepmother “Weetzie” once told her to look for Angel Juan, she told her about an apartment she had in New ...more
Shivanee Ramlochan
Excerpted from the full review:

"Here is something to love best about Francesca Lia Block’s writing for young adults: it doesn’t condescend to young adults, which is ironically rare fare in a genre that ought to be highlighted for its compassionate understanding. Block trusts that hearts not straddling the full saddle of adulthood can still articulate, in startling relief, all that they hold, as witnessed in this early letter from Witch Baby to her distant inamorato.

“Dear Angel Juan,

You used to g
Alyssa
Missing Angel Juan is definitely my favorite of the Weetzie Bat books so far. Even though it's written more realistically (with less poetic, flowery prose), the story is the most magical. It could easily go down as a classic YA fantasy in my eyes.

The imagery and atmosphere in Missing Angel Juan are in stark contrast to the rest of the books. Block trades bright-hot Los Angeles for a desolate, wintry New York City. Witch Baby walks around NYC with the ghost of her grandfather, Charlie Bat, visiti
Steph
Jun 26, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Missing Angel Juan has left me with not a lot to say. I don't know why, but this particular installment of the series failed to move me in the way that its predecessors did.

Witch Baby's odyssey through the streets of New York in search of her lost love, Angel Juan, is full of random encounters with eclectic people, lyrical writing, and intriguing twists though. It's worth the read, especially if you've traversed the entire Weetzie Bat series as I have.

I think I would have enjoyed it more if th
Jaemi
Witch Baby always felt out of place. With her tangled up hair and purple eyes and anger, she was never as soft and gentle as her almost-mom Weetzie, or her half-sister Cherokee. Only Angel Juan could ever make her feel like she belonged. So when he tells her he’s leaving, that he needs to go to New York and be on his own, she can’t understand, and runs away. When she wakes up and realizes she didn’t get to say goodbye, she decides she’s going to follow and look for him.

When no letters follow his
Marie
Missing Angel Juan is the fourth Weetzie Bat book. It's told from Witch Baby's point of view, and it wasn't my favorite. Witch Baby is just a dark character. She was hard for me to connect with. In this book, she travels to NYC to find Angel Juan, who had gone there to find himself and his music. While there, she stays in Charlie Bat's apartment.

Just like with the first three Weetzie Bat books, Missing Angel Juan is written very lyrically. We see the entire story from Witch Baby's point of view,
Sep 02, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
After reading a post in agentfroot's journal the other day where she mentioned this book, I ended up with it on the brain for a while. Finally I gave in and took it off of the shelf and read it to my husband, beginning to end, last night. And made an interesting discovery. This is a book to be read aloud. A lot of books aren't. Salman Rushdie, for instance. I tried to read one of his books to Andrew a month or so ago and I could barely make myself finish the chapter. The book is now disappeared, ...more
Julie Decker
Jul 27, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Witch Baby doesn't love easily--or maybe she loves too easily and it destroys her. When her beloved boyfriend Angel Juan leaves Los Angeles, she feels she has to pursue him to be complete, and so she gathers up the money she has and ventures out into the world, with very little besides roller skates and a camera. She finds the ghost of her almost-grandpa, Charlie Bat, and finds his presence comforting and illuminating on her quest to be part of her boyfriend's new world.

Block's magical realism h
Cera
May 31, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My favourite of the Weetzie Bat books; it's Witch Baby's coming of age, and does a pitch-perfect job of being a fairy tale in which the fantasy elements dramatise psychological development. I also loved that it was a story about the objectification of one's lover in which it is the woman who objectifies the man and has to learn how to let go and let him grow into his own self instead of the self she imagined. It's very much a feminist story because it shows the woman with power and agency, and t ...more
Greta is Erikasbuddy
LOVED IT!!

The 4 installment of the Weetzie Bat books is just as good as the previous 3.

I really thought that this book would have been told from Angel Juan's pov (btw kids... he's not a ghosty lolz... that's just his name).

I thought that it would have been about his time in Mexico or maybe having to go back to Mexico. I didn't expect it to be told from Witch Baby's pov, but I really enjoyed that.

It's a great story about letting love go and learning to let love in.

I really really loved it ;)

I hav
Jan 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I still gave this five stars because I absolutely loved every book in this series as a teen, and Witch Baby was definitely my favorite, so while re-reading it, I couldn't help being intoxicated by all the nostalgia. However, re-reading it a second time as an adult, I have to say this one in particular is not as great as I remember. Or as great as some of the other ones. I love Witch Baby but she just seemed so whiny and needy in this one. And there wasn't enough Angel Juan. And it just seemed to ...more
Marjorie Elwood
Witch Baby embarks on a journey to find Angel Juan, who has gone to New York City to 'find himself' (aka: he's run away, afraid of love and commitment).

Instead, she finds her ghost father, who is clinging to thoughts of her almost-mother. She finds herself, clinging to her fear of being alone. By filling the void within herself with creativity and love, she is able to let go and trust that: "As long as you are alive, you'll know where his heart is. It will be in you."

Another beautifully written
Jess
May 17, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This one made me really sad! I love the way Witch Baby was able to bond with Charlie and create her own family structure that she is most comfortable with. Witch Baby is such a fascinating character and I'm glad she gets so much attention. The part with Cake was really creepy, and it captured the kind of tone that only Block can write with such skill.

Only "Baby Be-Bop" to go, and I'm done with the "Dangerous Angels" omnibus!
Swankivy
Jul 27, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The fourth book in the Dangerous Angels series--my favorite--is Missing Angel Juan. It is the only book of the Weetzie series that is told in first person and in present tense. Witch Baby misses her boyfriend, Angel Juan, who left L.A and left her behind. She goes on a search for him and finds instead the ghost of her "grandfather," Charlie Bat. This is the story of her adventure through the world and through her own mind.
Maggie
May 19, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ya-and-kidlit
I read Weetzie Bat years ago and was not a big fan, so I was surprised by how much I liked this. Block's lush, descriptive prose is much more effective here, and I really like how the theme of letting go vs. "clutching" plays itself out. Still, at times it all feels a bit overblown, almost bordering on self-consciously stylistic, to me. Well worth reading, however, and I appreciate Block as a unique voice.
elissa
I like them all, but this one is my favorite Weetzie Bat book. Witch Baby (my favorite character when I first read them) is the main character, and she comes to NYC, where I lived at the time. I once got to meet Francesca Lia Block at a conference. When I told her how much I liked Witch Baby, she signed this book for me "To Elissa, Love From Witch Baby and Francesca Lia Block". If my younger son, Leo had been a girl, he would have been named Lia. OK, enough gushing.
Meghan
Mar 01, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is my favorite in the entire series of Dangerous Angels books. I always sort of identified with Witch Baby because things don't come easily to her and she likes being by herself and struggles to be understood. And this book breaks my heart and terrifies me in equal measure. There is nothing more terrifying to me than the man who follows Witch Baby in this book. He's the scariest character I've ever read.
Christiana
May 14, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Witch Baby is by far my favorite character from the Dangerous Angels series. Her boyfriend, Angel Juan, disappears in New York City and it's up to Witch Baby to find him, and find who she is without him. Watch for a cameo from one of Ms. Block's short stories, "Dragons in Manhattan." And there's a good, creepy climax.
Brenda
Sep 18, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people who are mising someone
Recommended to Brenda by: myself
This book is REALLY good. But you have to really read the first chapters so you'll be into it. At first it's like yeah whatever. The rwo main characters "love" each other but Angel Juan moves to NY to suceed with his music. Weetzie Bat follows him there hoping to find him. At the end it has a really suprising twist that puts your mind upside down.
Leslie
Oct 06, 2009 added it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Leslie by: Meg Powers
I would have been juiced about Francesca Lia Block as a tween. It's a shame I didn't find her 'til now.

And lookit how hip I am using a word like juiced.

Witch Baby reminds me of Cyd Charisse of Gingerbread. They'd have shared a carass.
Mary
May 31, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love Witch Baby and am happy to read anything about her. She is one of my favorite characters. I thought the lesson about letting go of the people and things we love most in order to let them come back to us was beautifully illustrated. And as always she ties in the ever powerful lesson about always remaining true to yourself.
A.E. Shaw
Nov 15, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2012

The more of these I read, the more I get used to the style and the wealth of language inside them, the more I enjoy them. The lens through which the city is seen is glorious, the structure clever and never as annoying as it ought to be, and the end, I thought, was suitably terrifying and also rather beautiful.
Jessica
Apr 29, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Picked this one up again recently. It's my favorite of the Weetzie Bat books. I read once that Francesca Lia Block said that Witch Baby was her favorite character, and it shows. Even if the book isn't about her, she jumps off the page. I really wish the Weetzie books would be made into a movie or a show, it would be so much better than something ridiculous like Gossip Girls.
Liana
Jun 04, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
A Block novel for New York! Every few years I come back to this story and it's just as wonderful as it was when I first tore through Dangerous Angels at eight and had to beg my dad to buy me a copy. I could never be Nancy Drew or Holden Caufield but I found myself in Witch Baby immediately.
Dec 17, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
my favorite of the weetzie bat books. i unequivocally adore witch baby. she's such a grumpy, misunderstood, brooding little girl. also, the language is darker and more substantial than the rest of block and the series.
Polially20
I have read so many of Block's books and I have to say this one really dissapointed me other than the wording (which is one of the main reasons love her books). One of my main problems was that I didn't like the fact Juan was getting chased around NY...
  • Pearl Pink, Vol. 01
  • The Invisible Road  (The Dreamhunter Duet, #1-2)
  • Deliver Us from Evie
  • The Boy Who Couldn't Fly Straight (The Broom Closet Stories #1)
  • Manstealing for Fat Girls
  • The Book of Nonsense (Forbidden Books 1)
  • Better Than Running at Night
  • Sister Light, Sister Dark (Great Alta, #1)
  • The Harp of the Grey Rose
  • Ranma 1/2, Vol. 16
  • Mermaids
  • Am I Blue?: Coming Out from the Silence
  • Yu Yu Hakusho, Volume 7: Knife-Edge Death Match (Yu Yu Hakusho, #7)
  • What the Birds See
  • General Winston's Daughter
  • Memoirs of a Bookbat
  • The Hour of the Cobra (Time-Travel Series, #2)
  • Girl Coming in for a Landing
Francesca Lia Block was born in Los Angeles to a poet and a painter, their creativity an obvious influence on her writing. Another influence was her childhood love of Greek mythology and fairy tales.
She has lived in the city all her life, and still resides there with her daughter, Jasmine Angelina (about whom she wrote her book Guarding the Moon), her son Samuel Alexander, and her two dogs: a spr
More about Francesca Lia Block...

Weetzie Bat (6 books)
  • Weetzie Bat (Weetzie Bat, #1)
  • Witch Baby (Weetzie Bat, #2)
  • Cherokee Bat and the Goat Guys (Weetzie Bat, #3)
  • Baby Be-Bop (Weetzie Bat, #5)
  • Necklace of Kisses (Weetzie Bat, #6)
“Morning. Strawberry sky dusted with white winter powder sugar sun. And nobody to munch on it with” 85 likes
“After his kisses and hugs it feels like without them my body will fall apart into pieces.” 69 likes