Start by marking “Cherokee Bat and the Goat Guys (Weetzie Bat, #3)” as Want to Read:
Cherokee Bat and the Goat Guys (Weetzie Bat, #3)

Cherokee Bat and the Goat Guys

(Weetzie Bat #3)

3.95  ·  Rating details ·  2,302 Ratings  ·  61 Reviews
Cherokee bat danced and sang. Witch baby, Cherokee's almost-sister, pounded the beat on her drums. Raphael played the guitar, and Angel Juan kept the rhythm on his bass. They made music that sparkled like fireworks, and audiences loved them.
Published June 30th 1993 by HarperTeen (first published August 1st 1992)

To ask other readers questions about Cherokee Bat and the Goat Guys, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Cherokee Bat and the Goat Guys

Phyllis
Aug 02, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: teen-peril
This is probably my least favorite book in the Weetzie Bat series. The mixture of real life teenage horrors and Block's magical realism is uneasy, and the book's attempt to cast a white girl as a mystical Indian princess is in questionable taste, to say the least. And re-reading it as an adult, it's pretty frightening to see these kids smoking, drinking, and snorting their way through LA nightlife while the generic noble Indian shaman who was supposed to look after them while their folks were aw ...more
Lizz Goldstein
Aug 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I must have read this a half a dozen times before, but as I'm rereading the series now in excitement over the news of the movie, the beautiful writing has me crying yet again.
Alyssa
Disclaimer: I'm currently reading through Dangerous Angels: The Weetzie Bat Books, but I'm reviewing each book individually because they are very much independent stories with their own separate conclusions.

Cherokee Bat focuses on the kids of the Bat household as teenagers, and for that reason it feels more like actual YA than the other books leading up to it. Cherokee, Raphael, Witch Baby, and Angel Juan are staying by themselves while their parents are away filming a movie, with Coyote as the
Rachel Fellows
The Weetzie Bat series is just so California. This volume kicks the fairy tale up a notch in its exploration of coming of age and sexuality, all centered around the mystical magic Cherokee and her sister, Witch Baby, along with their friends Raphael and Angel Juan, conjure up to create a whirlwind rock band on the L.A. scene: The Goat Guys.

I think it's probably best to look at this volume as a fable or a fairy tale.

This book was written in the 90s, before knowledge of cultural appropriation was
Melissa
Aug 16, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2018, re-read
There are threads in here that are interesting - especially Cherokee’s growing awareness of how her body is viewed and sexualized by others. But it’s tough to read this kind of simplistic, white washed take on Native American spirituality and culture in 2018.
Nick
Aug 28, 2017 rated it it was ok
I read this when I was younger ,I really enjoyed it.
Lauren
Jun 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: young-adult
Punk rock.
Bitsy
Aug 31, 2010 rated it really liked it
In Cherokee Bat and the Goat Guys the story arc in the Dangerous Angels series continues. What started with Weetzie Bat and Witch Baby continues in this book with the kids now teenagers and the adults in the household all out of town filming a movie in South America. Naturally Cherokee, Witch Baby, Raphael Chong Jah-Love and soon even Angel Juan, who makes a reappearance, run into trouble.

In a lot of ways I think this book is the most distinctly YA novel in the series. It focuses on the younger
Julie Decker
Jul 27, 2014 rated it really liked it
Cherokee, Weetzie's teenage daughter, has formed a band called The Goat Guys. Her almost-sister, Witch Baby, is the drummer, and their boyfriends Raphael and Angel Juan play guitars. Cherokee's the singer and dancer. Their audiences love their energy, but then their parents go away on vacation and leave them to their own devices (with a family friend, Coyote, in the vicinity for adult supervision if needed). To help her sister out of a funk, Cherokee gives Witch Baby some wings to wear while she ...more
scout cook
Aug 03, 2009 rated it it was amazing

Cherokee Bat and the Goat Guys is a book about a group of kids who live in Los Angeles in the late 80's early 90's(?). Their parents are away shooting a film, so they're basically all alone. They get bored, so they start up a band. They call themselves The Goat Guys. Their first gig is at a vampire-themed club, and during the first gig, their lead singer (Raphael) completely froze on stage. After this incident, Cherokee goes to ask a spiritual friend of the family if he had anything that could h

Marie
Nov 12, 2014 rated it really liked it
Cherokee Bat and the Goat Guys is the third Weetzie Bat book, and I thought it was one of the best of the six. This one is told from Cherokee's point of view (she's Weetzie's daughter) and the plot revolves around a band that she forms with Witch Baby, Raphael, and Angel Juan. Maybe I connected with this one more because my hubby used to be in a band, and music is a big part of our life?

Just like Weetzie Bat and Witch Baby, Cherokee Bat and the Goat Guys is written very lyrically. We really get
Wendy
Sep 27, 2011 rated it it was amazing
This book is a sparkling, sharp edged, falling star. It travels you through feelings of awakening sexuality, teenage invincibility, and the shame and redemption of hurting yourself and the people you love.

While the parents go to South America to make a movie, Cherokee, Witch Baby, and Raphael Chong Jah-Love are left their own devices in the canyons of California. While they do have Coyote nearby to help watch over them, they are mostly on their own. Facing an age where everything feels 100x mor
Steph
May 21, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I get to the end of every book in the Weetzie Bat series and think, "This is my favorite!". Until, of course, I get to the next one and then it's my favorite.

Cherokee Bat and the Goat Guys is especially cool though because the infectious kids of the Weetzie second gen. circle form their own rock group. Rock, but with magical, primal elements that (to quote a phrase) "make the men hard and the women harder". Raquael and Angel Juan become local sexual icons. Cherokee and Witch Baby struggle to ho
Rebecca
Jul 21, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: sff
This is the 3rd book in the Dangerous Angels series. This story focuses on the kids of the family, in particular Cherokee Bat. The last story, Witch Baby, had more voodoo inspired magic. In this, the magic is inspired by Native American spirits and stories. In the beginning, Cherokee sets out on a mission to help cheer up her younger sister, Witch Baby, who has locked herself in a shed for days. Cherokee gets the idea to make her sister a pair of wings from feathers she’s asked the birds to give ...more
Greta is Erikasbuddy
Aug 09, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Mondo lovered dovered this book!!

Francesca Lia Block is an artist when it comes to words. She paints the most unique and beautiful backdrops just by using the english alphabet. LOVES LOVES LOVES!!

In this book the kids from "Weetzie Bat" (the first book in the series) are a bit more rock and roll. I would imagine in WITCH BABY (book 2) they were probably 12 or 13 and in this one they are pobably 16-17 (it never says).

It's a story of growing up followed by a tale of not wanting to let go of your y
Cera
May 31, 2010 rated it liked it
This is Cherokee's coming of age story, and I found it much stronger than the first two books. I have mixed feelings about the role of Coyote, and the way in which Cherokee fixes the problems she's created through his magic, but it does fit together into a fairly seamless whole, and while Coyote is a magical personal of colour, he's also depicted as a real human being who messes up in his job of taking care of the kids. Plus there are other non-white characters in both Raphael and Angel Juan, so ...more
Tanner
Apr 10, 2013 rated it liked it
I was rather disappointed in this one. It is true that it had all the same elements as the previous novels, but the editor caught literally no mistakes, or so it feels. I counted no less than 10 misspellings. Of important words, too. Like the band name within the title was spelled "The Coat Guys" twice and "The Goal Guys" and "back" was misspelled as "hack." One of the main character's names was misspelled, too. I don't know if that was Block's intent, but it isn't in her style to misspell words ...more
Jess
May 13, 2012 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Block fans
Shelves: topic-music
Another whimsical and beautiful book by Block. I liked how this one was more symbolic than the others, with all of the Native American themes. I was worried with some of Block's earlier Weetzie books because it seemed like a lot of cultural appropriation, but with Coyote, this seemed like a really solemn and insightful novel on the kind of relationships we have with nature and with people of other cultures. All of the teenagers seemed to grow and learn in this Weetzie book, making it a touch mor ...more
Jan 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This was my least favorite in the collection when I was a teenager, and revisiting it, I would have to say it is still my least favorite. I can't connect with Cherokee at all, and now, as an adult, I see how problematic the native appropriation and representation is, not just with Cherokee but also with Coyote. Like, I think I know what she was trying to do here, but you know......I still love this book because I love the story and the characters and the poetic language and all the angst and of ...more
Swankivy
Jul 27, 2014 rated it really liked it
Cherokee Bat and the Goat Guys, the third one, is about Cherokee Bat, Witch Baby, Raphael Chong Jah-Love, and Angel Juan Perez--also known as the rock band The Goat Guys. Because of gifts they receive from each other and from fans, the band changes, and get sucked into lots of experiences that almost take them under to the point that they can't escape. With their parents away on vacation and Coyote the only adviser, they have to pull themselves out before they drown.
Megan
Jan 25, 2014 rated it really liked it
This book has some "slinkster-cool" stuff about it, but it lacked a bit of the creativity of it's predecessors and was more mature, wild and perhaps a tad disturbing at times. I prefer Witch Baby as a character to Cherokee, but I did like the realistic portrayal of the showbiz world, as well as the romance, drama, excitement and creativity, which Francesca Lia Block is always careful to include. Rock and roll is forever!!! :)
A.E. Shaw
Jul 21, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2012

I am really coming to understand those who see these books as comfort blankets. They're truly something. The more I read, the more I smile and gasp and am so completely awed by the length of the imagination and the depth of thought going on, all the while amidst goat costumes and rocking out and the very normal things about being young and the incredibly abnormal, hang-on-my-teenage-sister-has-been-living-in-the-mud-for-a-week.

Brilliant, brilliant. And I'm glad I have more.
Jordan
Mar 28, 2008 rated it it was ok
hm. this one... not as good. it reminded me of twins, which i did not like, and other generic stories of how drugs and sex are bad. i've already started missing angel juan, but maybe i should take a break.
Patty
Oct 30, 2011 rated it liked it
My thoughts are a bit frenetic about this one...
Witch Baby and Cherokee were left alone and unsupervised and bad things happened...
They made bad choices because they were too young and irresponsible to be left alone...
Still interestingly quirky but it was my least favorite of all of the books in this series.

Linda
Jan 15, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: young freaks, punks and every teen who doesn't fit in
A good allegorical fairy tale for kids about the intoxicating nature of music, drugs, and sex. Manages to bring across both the positive and negative things in a way that doesn't crush the reader's hopes and dreams.
I couldn’t stand this book and doubt I would ever recommend it for anyone, unless it were to be used as an example of an undeveloped, predictable plotline, two-dimensional characters and how to act and think like Stevie Nicks.
Linda
Dec 11, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Love this wonderful postmodern fable - the 3rd book, & one of my favorite volumes, in the Weetzie Bat/Dangerous Angels series, by one of my very-favorite authors, Francesca Lia Block. Re-read this for the countless time & finished it on Francesca Lia Block's birthday!
Colleen
Jul 23, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: old_favorites
cherokee, weetzie's first daughter, is quite the image of her mother. in her story she brings her band 'the goat guys' to greatness, but at what cost? cherokee has to remember where she came from and how to keep her head amongst all the glitz and glitter of LA
Erin
Sep 01, 2007 rated it it was ok
I liked the style of writing, but there wasn't too much to the story. Meh.
Alison
Feb 15, 2011 rated it liked it
Still good, but I think I liked Weetzie Bat better. The simplicity of the message was better integrated; this one was more predictable.
  • Deliver Us from Evie
  • Pearl Pink, Vol. 02
  • The Book of Nonsense (Forbidden Books 1)
  • What's in a Name
  • Adios, Barbie: Young Women Write About Body Image and Identity
  • Holly's Secret
  • Maizon at Blue Hill
  • When Kambia Elaine Flew in from Neptune
  • Girl Coming in for a Landing
  • Remember Me to Harold Square
  • Ranma 1/2, Vol. 28 (Ranma ½ (US 2nd), #28)
  • Neon Genesis Evangelion, Vol. 4
  • Revolutionary Girl Utena, Vol. 4: To Bud
  • Moonhead and the Music Machine
  • Dark Sister
  • Waifs and Strays
  • Tell Me That You Love Me, Junie Moon
  • Slam Book
Francesca Lia Block is the author of more than twenty-five books of fiction, non-fiction, short stories and poetry. She received the Spectrum Award, the Phoenix Award, the ALA Rainbow Award and the 2005 Margaret A. Edwards Lifetime Achievement Award, as well as other citations from the American Library Association and from the New York Times Book Review, School Library Journal and Publisher’s Week ...more

Weetzie Bat (6 books)
  • Weetzie Bat (Weetzie Bat, #1)
  • Witch Baby (Weetzie Bat, #2)
  • Missing Angel Juan (Weetzie Bat, #4)
  • Baby Be-Bop (Weetzie Bat, #5)
  • Necklace of Kisses (Weetzie Bat, #6)

Young Adult Deals

• World After (Penryn & the End of Days, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Angelfall (Penryn & the End of Days, #1)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • End of Days (Penryn & the End of Days, #3)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • American Street
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Going Wild (Going Wild #1)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • The Awakening (The Vampire Diaries, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Out of Breath (Breathing, #3)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Barely Breathing (Breathing, #2)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Reason to Breathe (Breathing, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Godsgrave (The Nevernight Chronicle, #2)
    $10.99 $2.99
  • Carve the Mark (Carve the Mark, #1)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Enchantress (Evermen Saga, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Glass Magician (The Paper Magician Trilogy, #2)
  • Prisoner B-3087
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Iron Trial (Magisterium #1)
  • The Luxe (Luxe, #1)
    $3.74 $0.99
  • Fawkes
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Sticks & Stones (Upside-Down Magic #2)
  • The Thing About Jellyfish
    $7.99 $2.99
  • Where the Road Takes Me
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Hidden Relic (Evermen Saga, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Last Namsara (Iskari #1)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • The Inexplicable Logic of My Life
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Wish
    $5.67 $2.99
  • The Rift Uprising (The Rift Uprising Trilogy #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • The Wednesday Wars
    $6.99 $1.99
  • The Girl from Everywhere (The Girl From Everywhere, #1)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Killing Ruby Rose (Ruby Rose #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • All the Little Lights
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Endangered (Ape Quartet, #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • The City of Brass (The Daevabad Trilogy, #1)
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Vanishing Girls
    $9.74 $1.99
  • Broken Pride (Bravelands, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
“You make me feel like I have wings when you touch me.” 82 likes
“At the next Goat Guys show, the band came on stage with their wings, their haunches, their horns. The audience swooned at their feet.

Cherokee spun and spun until she was dizzy, until she was not sure anymore if she or the stage was in motion.

Afterwards two girls in lingerie and over-the-knee leather boots offered a joint to Raphael and Angel Juan. All four of them were smoking backstage when Cherokee and Witch Baby came through the door.

Witch Baby went and wriggled onto Angel Juan's lap. He was wearing the horns and massaging his temples. His face looked constricted with pain until he inhaled the smoke from the joint.

"Are you okay?" Witch Baby asked.

"My head's killing me.”