Start by marking “Witch Baby (Weetzie Bat, #2)” as Want to Read:
Witch Baby (Weetzie Bat, #2)

Witch Baby

(Weetzie Bat #2)

The family that took her in called her Witch Baby and raised her as their own. But even though she tried to fit in, Witch Baby never felt as though she truly belonged. So one day she packed her bat-shaped backpack, put on her black cowboy-boot roller skates, and went out into the world to find out who she really was...
Published October 30th 1992 by HarperTeen (first published August 30th 1991)

To ask other readers questions about Witch Baby, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Witch Baby

sari
May 26, 2013 rated it did not like it
Shelves: read-in-2013
i was going to read the series, but after 2 books i can't continue reading because of the immense cultural appropriation (seriously, is she legally required to mention something about headdresses or powwows or moccasins for the white characters every chapter or what?) and bordering-on-racist archetypes. i know this book was real important to many people i knew as they were growing up, but i see no real value in it besides showcasing a gay couple in a fairly non-shitty way.
Bitsy
Aug 31, 2010 rated it really liked it
In Witch Baby Francesca Lia Block really spreads her wings and finds her pace. Witch Baby is the second book in her Dangerous Angels series and is her sophomore novel. You really need to have read Weetzie Bat for Witch Baby to make any sense.

Witch Baby is my favorite character in the whole crazy Bat family. She is a black sheep, an outsider, a loner. She doesn’t want to stick her head in the sand and forget about the troubles in the world, or pretend they don’t exist. She doesn’t try and use smo
Kayla Lee
Feb 04, 2011 rated it really liked it
Witch Baby was actually the first Francesca Lia Block book I read, and when I finally got my hands on a copy of the first in the 'Dangerous Angels' series 'Weetzie Bat'; I knew immediately that I had read the best of them first and was immensely glad of it.
I was attracted to this writer's playful, fantasy-world language and lavish, beautifully descriptive style of writing, initially, and from the first page of Witch Baby I felt surrounded by beauty and immersed in the story's exuberance instantl
Steph
May 19, 2014 rated it it was amazing
If ever there was a book that captured the essence of what it feels like to be estranged from family or, worse, to feel as though you've never belonged anywhere, it's Witch Baby.

There's not a lot I can say about Francesca's stories that I haven't said before. Witch Baby is unique, it's lyrical, and the heart of the characters leaps off the page and grabs you by the throat (but in a good way).

This is a flawless sequel to Weetzie Bat. Whether reading this as an adolescent or an adult, this novel
Rosa Folgar
Nov 11, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I don't that I can really say much about this book. It always makes me cry. Every. Single. Time. I don't know what t is, but seeing the world through tilty purple eyes and feeling the overwhelming sadness and loneliness Witch Baby has always raises a lump in my throat, tear tracks in my pillow, and a dull ache in my heart. Everyone is so caught up in their own world and lives, they ignore a very special, very soulfully little witch baby who wants to find her place.

My favorite/the worst part is
Allison Floyd
"'My pain is ugly, Angel Juan. I feel like I have so much ugly pain,' says Witch Baby in a dream.
'Everyone does,' Angel Juan says. 'My mother says that pain is hidden in everyone you see. She says try to imagine it like big bunches of flowers that everyone is carrying around with them. Think of your pain like a big bunch of red roses, a beautiful thorn necklace. Everyone has one.'"

This is leaps and bounds beyond Weetzie Bat in terms of plot and characterization and, like its predecessor, reads
Emily Joyce
Mar 28, 2013 rated it it was amazing
MAGIC ITS ALL MAGIC ALL THE TIME
Mauoijenn ~ *Mouthy Jenn* ~
This was a cute book. I liked it very much. I need to find a bat shaped backpack, like Witch Baby.
Emily
Aug 13, 2018 added it
Shelves: ya, unowned-and-read
Like other reviewers have commented, the persistent cultural appropriation is uncomfortable and wrong and I wouldn't blame anyone for passing on this series because of it. But I can see why people like these books so much, there is a realer-than-real quality to these books because of how dream-like they are and there are real, emotional questions at the center (in this book; what do you do with all the pain in the world? with your own pain?) that are handled well.
Melissa
Aug 16, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2018, re-read
Pretty sure this was my fave in the series 20 years ago. Better than Weetzie Bat but still loses major points for its weird fetishistic treatment of Native Americans and their culture. If you can put that aside though (not that you have to), the story of alienation and not feeling like one belongs anywhere is one that resonates. And this book does touch on some bigger social issues - queer coming out & acceptance, immigration and deportation.
Meghan
Jul 18, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Witch Baby was the first of the Weetzie Bat series I read back in junior high. I have a soft spot for tangled, snarled hair that persists until this day, and a slight inferiority complex about both photography and playing the drums.

Anyway, 20 years later, after I now know about Francesca Lia Block's struggles with an eating disorder, after I see the danger and weirdness of the positive racial stereotype characters in the book, I still can't help but love this book the most, because how could I
Claire
Dec 02, 2014 rated it it was amazing
“What time are we upon and where do I belong?”
This sequel centers on the character I initially cared least about (I resented her very existence toward the end of Weetzie Bat) but it resonated with me emotionally in an unexpected way. This book somehow gets it- that snarled feeling deep in your chest of wanting love and not being able to ask for it, of feeling left out in a family of people who love you. If you’ve ever hidden and watched at a party, or been very young and jealous of the love that
Tasia
Sep 05, 2015 rated it it was ok
Francesca Lia Block definitely has a style all her own, that's for sure. I've read some of her poetry and other works, so I have some context for how she operates. But, while this one has that same Hollywood glitz and underlying dangerous magic, it's so rife with cultural appropriation. Referring to someone as a "blonde Indian," wearing white suede, feather headdresses, and moccasins… just stop. If she's not Native, she's not Native. There are other positive portrayals, I suppose, like Duck and ...more
Madeleine
Jan 15, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
I liked this sequel to WEETZIE BAT even better than the first. I was talking to someone about Weetzie Bat and one of the main reasons she hated it and didn't continue to read the series because of the horrible, controversial topics that were glossed over. And I agreed with her...however, all those things made much more sense after reading this book. This was like an answer to Weetzie...a recognition that everyone was willingly ignoring the negative parts of life by smoothing it over and bedazzli ...more
Jess
May 01, 2011 rated it liked it
Francesca Lia Block's books are sweet fairy tales, but sometimes that's all they are for me. I can't take some of the hipster Native American cultural appropriation stuff seriously, and when the topic of Mexican immigrants came up, I was worried about how it would be portrayed in such a surreal book. But Block dealt with the topic in a mature way that was also accessible to teenagers who may have undocumented friends and loved ones but may not understand the circumstances of the situation.

I have
S
Oct 26, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Block's prose is really something else. It's strange, musical, bright and tumbles off the tongue in ways no other author I've read yet has. I was gifted Weetzie Bat, apparently the first book in this series, years ago and was struck by how strange and surreal Francesca Block's fictional world is. Now that I know there's more I'm going to have to hunt down the rest.
Adrienne
Jul 31, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: bald lilac-eyed misfits
What I learned from this book?

Everything.
Bcoghill Coghill
Jun 02, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Gosh, I loved this book a decade or more ago. So, did my then teen kids.
Molly
Feb 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
As this one stands at #2 in the Weetzie Bat series, I would highly recommend starting with the first. I made the mistake and read this one before reading Weetzie Bat. While I really did enjoy the books and the quick read, I feel I would have gotten a lot more out of it if I had read them in the proper order.

The reader gets a very quick run through of the characters in the household and is left to enjoy the craziness that is the family. Witch Baby, who feels like an out of place outcast, tries h
Erika Worley
Feb 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
I discovered this book back in middle school before I knew how to check if a book was a sequel or not. So, I thought it was a standalone book. And, being the fantasy lover I am, I had to check out a book called "Witch Baby." In many ways I was too young for the story and the writing; I found many parts confusing in what was already a surreal story. The fortunate thing was probably that I happened to choose Witch Baby since it is from the perspective of a child, while the other books in the serie ...more
Hailey
Jun 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I have no words. Okay, maybe a few short and sweet words, but none that are the slightest bit worthy of Block and her beautiful stories. Now, I've slept a few times since reading the first book of the series, but this book really spoke to me, even more so than Weetzie Bat (and I loved Weetzie Bat). In fact, I'm planning on framing or making an art piece out of the last two pages for my wall because they spoke so deeply to me. I'm pretty sure I'm Witch Baby and FLB is an omniscient goddess writin ...more
Dominika
Dec 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
a pure slice of a California hippie fairy tale. The style is so over the top, but it still has a heart. I might scour all of the Goodwills in the area for the other books in the series.

(By the way, there's a lot of cultural appropriation in this. That is hippie culture. You will see the same thing at most new age store's. I'm not saying it's right or ok, but this book was written 25 years ago about people who did that)
Morgan
Sep 05, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: lgbtq, ya
"Witch Baby saw that her own sadness was only a small piece of the puzzle of pain that made up the globe. But she was a part of the globe--she had her place. And there was a lot of happiness as well, a lot of love" (102-03). Beautiful, lyrical, this novella captures the timeless and timely feeling of its predecessor, but creates a new and equally interesting heroine in Witch Baby. FLB's prose is so economical yet so moving--I'm kind of surprised people don't study it more.
Paula
Jul 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
4,5 stars

I thought this was going to be a book for children. It's everything, but a children's book. Instead it's a book perfect for teenagers that are struggling with fitting in and finding a place where they belong. Also, the writing style is non-comparable to anything I've read before.
Lana
Sep 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
all my teen angst is in this book.
Anda
Feb 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Didn’t age so well...the level of cultural appropriation in this book is pret-ty jarring, but I can’t help it I still love it. I’m not crying you’re crying.
Jenna Click
Jan 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
i really REALLY love the style that this author writes in! its so amazingly different and fun to read. cant wait to read the rest!
Lizz Goldstein
Aug 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I really forgot how fast a read the Dangerous Angels books are and how much I relate to Witch Baby.
Piroska
Oct 28, 2018 rated it it was ok
Strange, strange and then some strange. The language wasn't as bad as the first one but I'm pretty sure she was on something when she wrote the series.
Heather Culley
Oct 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
Yeah, that's some better.
  • Gentlehands
  • From the Stars in the Sky to the Fish in the Sea
  • From the Notebooks of Melanin Sun
  • What's in a Name
  • The Divorce Express
  • The Manga Bible: From Genesis to Revelation
  • To Take A Dare
  • Spirits That Walk in Shadow (Chapel Hollow, #3)
  • My Father's Scar
  • Midnight Hour Encores
  • Anna Hibiscus' Song
  • Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Harry Potter, #7)
  • White House Autumn (The President's Daughter, #2)
  • Celine
  • Money Boy
  • The Magic Circle
  • (You) Set Me on Fire
  • Rose of No Man's Land
Francesca Lia Block is the author of more than twenty-five books of fiction, non-fiction, short stories and poetry. She received the Spectrum Award, the Phoenix Award, the ALA Rainbow Award and the 2005 Margaret A. Edwards Lifetime Achievement Award, as well as other citations from the American Library Association and from the New York Times Book Review, School Library Journal and Publisher’s Week ...more

Weetzie Bat (6 books)
  • Weetzie Bat (Weetzie Bat, #1)
  • Cherokee Bat and the Goat Guys (Weetzie Bat, #3)
  • Missing Angel Juan (Weetzie Bat, #4)
  • Baby Be-Bop (Weetzie Bat, #5)
  • Necklace of Kisses (Weetzie Bat, #6)
“My mother says that pain is hidden in everyone you see. She says try to imagine it like big bunches of flowers that everyone is carrying around with them. Think of your pain like a big bunch of red roses, a beautiful thorn necklace. Everyone has one.” 177 likes
“Witch Baby wanted to ask Ping how to find her Jah-Love angel. She knew Raphael was not him, even though Raphael had the right eyes and smile and name. She knew how he looked--the angel in her dream--but she didn't know how to find him. Should she roller-skate through the streets in the evenings when the streetlights flicker on? Should she stow away to Jamaica on a cruise ship and search for him in the rain forests and along the beaches? Would he come to her? Was he waiting, dreaming of her in the same way she waited and dreamed?” 8 likes