Start by marking “Watches and Warnings” as Want to Read:
Watches and Warnings

Watches and Warnings

really liked it 4.00  ·  Rating details ·  17 ratings  ·  14 reviews
Sixteen-year-old Philip is the son of two Evangelical youth pastors. He also secretly helps his older brother pay for his heroin addiction. When a massive tornado touches down in their small town, Philip's family becomes heavily involved in the post-disaster cleanup as Philip struggles with the return of his detoxing brother. With his life swept into sudden chaos, Philip g ...more
Published August 1st 2019 by West 44 Books

To ask other readers questions about Watches and Warnings, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Watches and Warnings

really liked it 4.00  ·

Megan
This packed a punch. I'm not the biggest fan of poetry but I think it worked well for this particular story. It really evoked emotion about Philip's struggles with his family and I thoroughly enjoyed it.
Sandra "Jeanz"
The cover is fairly simplistic in its design, the blue background to represent the sky with the “twister” or “cyclone” being the main focus which the book plot is about. Though there is also the plot line of Victor and his drug abuse too. The genre’s listed for this book are Poetry, Teens & YA. I am not a great reader of poetry but I read this book and quite enjoyed it. I think it will certainly fit the “reluctant reader” category at schools. Though it will, in my opinion be suitable for old ...more
Amy
Jul 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
*recieved on netgalley in return for an honest review*

Books written in verse are always my favourite, they pack such an emotional punch and this one didn’t disappoint.

Philip grows up in a religious household, his two parents youth pastors, with his brother Victor. Victor currently has a drug problem and is living away, and his family has adopted a Down syndrome child. Hurricanes and tornados are not uncommon where they live, and one tornado changes the course of all their lives.

This book was da
Mandi
Jul 30, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I Received this arc from netgalley in exchange for an honest review.
This book had me hooked from about the second page because it took a minute to get into it but there are some trigger warnings
TW: drug use, death,Natural disaster damage
I wasn’t sure whether to include the trigger warning for natural disaster damage but I know some people who have been really affected by this talk or have been through it themselves so if you’re triggered by this maybe think twice about picking this book up. But
Lucsbooks
This book stroke me as a negative of small-town life in the USA.
I liked Philip and I understood his struggles. He has an older brother that he loves so he lets himself be roped into feeding his drug addiction, he has two parents that are good people but who love for God supersedes their love for their neighbor and that care more about feeling good about their good deeds than doing them and on top of that Philip is sixteen and his own thoughts and beliefs are starting to clash with the life that
Kristina  Wilson
Jul 14, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a story told in verse, similar to the style of The Poet X. Written for a young adult audience, the author tells the story of a family in the aftermath of a tornado through the lens of a 16 year old boy. There is a realistic depiction of addiction with one of the characters, and I think this book does a fantastic job navigating family dynamics when addiction is involved. The characters were multidimensional and felt realistic. I related more to the parents than I did the children, but fo ...more
Alyssa Chaney
Aug 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley, favorites
 Check out this review and others at my blog Too Many Books!

A special thank you to Netgalley and West 44 Books for providing a free advance digital copy in exchange for a honest review.

This is going to be the book I point out as what I want verse novels to be like. This book manages to have strong poetry and lots of plot and subplot. It's absolutely the perfect balance between the two. There is so much stuff packed into this short book and I loved the craft of this book.

The characters are absolu
Sherrie Robins
Jul 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Sorry...I have to say it...this was a real page turner.
This book crosses categories, past Young Adult, reaching out to anyone who has struggled with family dynamics, personal convictions, known an addict, dealt with tragedy or inner turmoil. If you’ve processed and ping-ponged with your world view, or known others who have, this book might just hit a nerve.
Who hasn’t wrestled with tragedy, pondered how to bring more good into the world, or loved someone wrongly by enabling them?
In short, life.
Tyler
Jul 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
Ryan Wolf's debut novel is a sign of good things to come! It is a fast read at just under 200 pages, and you will turn those pages fast. It could easily be read in a single sitting, and a part of me wishes that I did just that. The stylized verse layout was jarring for me at first, and I wondered if I was in for a book of poetry. This stylization of Wolf's first-person prose, though, only enhances the impact of his words, comparable to slam poetry on page, only with a story behind it.
That story
John Milne
Aug 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is a quick page turner not only because of the verse style but also Ryan Wolf's enthralling story telling. He does an excellent job of delving into addiction and its effect on the family. This is a superb young adult book and should definitely be used in the classroom. Strongly recommended!
Paul Booth
Jul 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Ryan Wolf's poetic narrative really dives into the heart of addiction. It's a perfect story for the classroom and will enthrall students and graduates alike. Heartily recommended!
Kendall
Thank you to NetGalley and West 44 Books for providing me with an ARC of this story!

This is one of those books that makes me feel dumb.

I feel like I'm dumb because I didn't enjoy it, because I didn't feel emotionally pulled into these characters lives, because the poetic format didn't work for me, because I left the story feeling like I was missing something, or a lot of somethings.

The story is a sort of slice-of-life following Philip, a 16-year-old boy who helps pay for his brother's heroin
Kookie9200
Thank you to NetGalley and the publisher for allowing me to review this book.

This book was very, very short, and the formatting was odd. I wasn't sure how I felt about it. Still, it read easily and quickly. I am not sure I'd call it a full novel so much as a novella. Phillip's family is dealt a hard blow when a tornado hits their town. With everything it takes, it brings home his older brother, a heroin addict. Will he get clean, or will drugs snuff out his life?
Mari Johnston
Bill Schlott
Traci L.
Amy
Aug 22, 2019
Ryan Wolf is the author of the young adult novel Watches and Warnings. He serves as a grant writer for nonprofits in the greater Chicago area. Wolf holds his B.A. from Canisius College and his M.A. in the humanities from the University of Chicago. He has published work in The Buffalo News, Conversations on Jesuit Higher Education, Quadrangle Literary Magazine, and Artvoice Newsweekly. Originally ...more