Start by marking “Harley in the Sky” as Want to Read:
Harley in the Sky

Harley in the Sky

The Greatest Showman meets This Is Us by way of Sarah Dessen in this heart-wrenching, hopeful contemporary novel about a multiracial teen who risks it all to follow her dreams by joining the circus, from the critically acclaimed author of Starfish.

Harley Milano has dreamed of becoming a trapeze artist for as long as she can remember. With parents who run a famous circus in
Expected publication: March 10th 2020 by Simon Pulse

To ask other readers questions about Harley in the Sky, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Harley in the Sky

Start your review of Harley in the Sky
may ➹
Jun 06, 2019 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Akemi constantly gets the most beautiful covers to complement her beautiful writing and this time is no different!!!!
Frank-Intergalactic Bookdragon
Update June 2019
The fact Akemi Dawn Bowman's books all have matching cover designs pleases me on a deep level.

Prereview September 2018
After finishing Starfish last night at one in the morning I desperately need more from this author.
Elora   Cook
I will read anything Akemi gives me. Shhh, no questions. Anything. Even a grocery list.
Hadya
Feb 02, 2018 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
i dont care what she writes im reading all of it
Swetlana (The Caffeinated Bookworm Life)
Update: September 17th, 2019 - I finished this the other day and while I won't be sharing a review & rating for a few more months, just know that I loved this book a lot! I really like the way the author handles topics of mental health and identity here and kept finding myself in bits and pieces of Harley's character. This was a great read and if you like contemporaries that deal with more serious topics - this could definitely be the book for you!

I'm incredibly lucky and happy to be part of
Raquel Irvine
Dec 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
** I received an ARC in exchange for an honest review **

I strongly believe Akemi Dawn Bowman is the queen of emotional character development and Harley in the Sky is a perfect example of Bowman’s expertise in weaving a novel full of emotional highs and lows that are both incredibly touching and very raw.

Harley wants to join her family’s circus but her parents want Harley to think of her long term goals and go to university. When her parents push Harley to the breaking point, she runs away and
Do
Aug 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: e-book, favorites
I absolutely loved this book, and I’m quite sad that I finished it already.
Harley is such an amazing, real character and I could relate to her feelings and that really meant something to me. I also adore books that involves a circus, and a cast of great characters! Can’t wait for the release of this amazing book on March 10, 2020

*I received an earc, but all opinions are my own!
Sacha
Thanks to NetGalley and the publisher for this ARC. I’ll post a review upon publication.
K.E.
Dec 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The easiest route is sometimes the hardest. And its easier to understand if you explain it. But to fly, that requires trust in yourself and the support system under you.
Emma Ferrier
I kept putting off writing this review because I so desperately wanted to do it justice, but I just don't think I can find the right words because I am so in awe with this book. I finished this three weeks ago and I'm still suffering a book hangover. I've barely read anything because this was just SO GOOD and I want need more.

Harley in the Sky is a beautiful book set predominantly within a travelling circus... a circus that rivals our main characters parents own. The setting was so fun and it
julianna ➹
[whirls around like a tv cars salesman] do you have literally none of that cash money in your bank account? say no more!! look at this book

also the cover is literally gorgeous
Taylor (Frayed Books)
This book was simply wonderful. All of Akemi’s books have such unique premises and this one is no different!

Harley explores and finds herself over the course of this book and I really felt so connected to her character. There is mental health rep in it as well.

Full review to come on Frayed Books closer to release! (March 2020)
Jessica Earl
Jan 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Delicious descriptions of scenery!
Harley's feelings and emotions drew me in. I found I could completely relate to her. For me, this story was an excellent depiction of anxiety and depression and the manic that can happen before a crash. And the way that affects those around you.
Additionally, the circus descriptions were stunning and made me want to attend!
caitlin ✶
Jun 14, 2019 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Akemi Dawn Bowman’s covers, along with her writing, are to die for ...more
Diana (booksinarmor)
WhAT?
THIS SOUNDS SO GOOD!
I'll read anything by Akemi after Starfish, shes so freaking underrated!
Chloe
Aug 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
*Spoiler free*

I enjoyed Starfish a lot, and while I haven't read Summer Bird Blue yet, I was really, really looking forward to Harley In The Sky! I'm lucky enough to be apart of the street team for the book, and Akemi was kind enough to provide an e-ARC for us to read! And wow, this book is very wow. Trigger warnings: depression, mood swings, heart attack, references to suicidal ideation

I don't think I've ever been to the circus. It doesn't quite seem like my thing; I feel like I would get
Aug 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Harley in the Sky is a story about following your dreams, sticking to them when things get tough, but it is also a story about remembering who and what matters most.

Harley’s parents run a circus, so she’s grown up watching the acts and falling in love with its magic. After a fight with her parents - who insist she goes to college and forget her dream to be an aerialist - she betrays them and runs off to a rival circus.
Here she learns that the circus isn’t just magic. It’s hard work. And
Renel
Sep 28, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The book follows Harley, who has the big dream of becoming an aerialist but her parent's don't support her. She runs away from home and joins a circus with a pretty shady image: Maison du Mystère. Here she doesn't have the best of luck since their current aerialist Maggie sees Harley as a rival and doesn't not want to train her and spreads nasty rumors about Harley. She has to fight for her spot but luckily there are just a few people who support her and don't believe Maggie.

I really liked
Rachel
Dec 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
Another beautifully written, heart wrenching book from Akemi Dawn Bowman. (Is it even an Akemi Dawn Bowman book if it doesn't make you cry at least once?)

When Harley's parents--owners of the most famous circus in Las Vegas--refuse to listen to her dreams of becoming an aerialist, she runs away to the circus. Another circus, that is. But despite the deal she made with the ringmaster, the show's static trapeze artist refuses to train her, and Harley is left feeling like an outcast. Training every
Tristan Munoz
Dec 22, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Harley's dream is to fly across the Teatro della Notte’s big top on a trapeze. This shouldn't be a problem because her parents own the circus. But they want her to go to college, not perform in their circus. Harley betrays her parents and joins a competing circus, the Maison du Mystere.

This is the first book I have read by Akemi Dawn Bowman, but now I want to read more of them! I really liked that this book explores mental health and questions of identity. Harley and her mother both have
Tristan Munoz
Dec 22, 2019 rated it really liked it

Andrew
You know that phrase "running away and joining the circus?" That's precisely what Harley does when her parents reject her dreams of becoming an aerialist for their circus business. In order to reach those dreams by herself, she sacrifices her familial loyalties in joining a rival company. Harley in the Sky is so much more than just that, though; it's a quest for her personal identity, for coping with Bipolar disorder, and most of all, testing her endurance of every kind, physical and emotional. ...more
Emelie
Jan 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites, 2020
God this book is amazing. It might even be my favorite book of the year, and were barely two weeks in. I knew that Akemi Dawn Bowman would blow me away, but I was not prepared to relate so much to Harley. As a biracial young adult (specifically Caucasian and Asian), I could really understand Harley's internal struggles of identity and her confusion regarding her culture. I loved that the book was more about her journey of self-discovery, as well as her relationship with all her family members ...more
Megan Manzano
Oct 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I've come to a point where I believe I'll read and love any of Akemi's books for they feel so honest and raw to readers.

Harley in the Sky was no exception because on top of the beauty and wonder of the circus, we have important issues explored like complex familial relations, what happens when your dreams don't always work the way you planned, depression, mood swings, anxiety, and how sometimes you don't fit into the identity of your family. Akemi handles each of these issues beautifully and
The Candid Cover (Olivia & Lori)
I haven’t read any of this author’s books yet, but I always hear great things. The life of a circus performer always intrigues me, especially the trapeze artist. I have a feeling that there is going to be quite an emotional element to this one, so it will definitely have to be accompanied by a box of tissues!
Nia Dragin
Dec 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
What a beautiful novel. The prose is merely exceptional highlighting an impactful tone and narrative as it follows Harley, a young woman who wants to live her dream, despite her parents' disapproval.

The thing that stands out is the dynamics between the family and the ability of the reader to connect to both parties involved. Everyone wants to live their dreams
Coco Maay (The Reading Fae) ✨🧚🏼‍♀️
This sounds so uniquer and I am ready for it. Also the circuis and sadness and guilt vibes all remind me of the iconic Xtina video clip for Hurt. Oooft.

description
George (BuriedInBooks)
Review coming on release day!
Samantha (A History of Books)
Sep 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arcs-to-read
Review to come
Rachael Mills
Sep 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely fantastic. I love Akemi Dawn Bowman so much. Definitely add this to your GR and preorder.

*** Full RTC ***

• All the Stars and Teeth (All the Stars and Teeth, #1)
  • The Kingdom of Back
  • Woven in Moonlight
  • The Silence of Bones
  • Ink in the Blood (Ink in The Blood, #1)
  • A Heart So Fierce and Broken (Cursebreakers, #2)
  • The Shadows Between Us
  • Chain of Gold (The Last Hours, #1)
  • The Silvered Serpents (The Gilded Wolves, #2)
  • Imagine Me (Shatter Me, #6)
  • Untitled (A Court of Thorns and Roses, #4)
  • Untitled (An Ember in the Ashes, #4)
  • Untitled (Nikolai Duology, #2)
  • Slay
  • The Gilded Ones (Deathless, #1)
  • The Midnight Lie (The Midnight Lie, #1)
  • Infinity Son (Infinity Cycle, #1)
  • The Night Country (The Hazel Wood, #2)
Akemi Dawn Bowman is the author of William C. Morris Award Finalist STARFISH, SUMMER BIRD BLUE, and HARLEY IN THE SKY. Her upcoming sci-fi series, THE INFINITY COURTS, is set to release in 2021, followed by her middle-grade debut, GENERATION MISFITS. A proud Ravenclaw and Star Wars enthusiast, she has a BA in social sciences from the University of Nevada, Las Vegas. She currently lives in Scotland ...more