Start by marking “Scarlet Fever” as Want to Read:
Scarlet Fever

Scarlet Fever

("Sister" Jane #12)

"Sister" Jane Arnold hopes to play matchmaker, but winds up playing detective when hunting season kicks off with a murder in a riveting mystery from the bestselling author of Homeward Hound.

Every fall, the start of hunting season brings crowds of people to Tattenhall Station. "Sister" Jane Arnold has long served as the proud Master of Foxhounds for the Jefferson Hunt, but
Published November 26th 2019 by Ballantine Books

To ask other readers questions about Scarlet Fever, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Scarlet Fever

Start your review of Scarlet Fever
Jill Meyer
Nov 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
Rita Mae Brown is a very prolific writer. She has a couple of book series, including the Sneaky Pie Brown and the Sister Jane fox hunting series. This book, “Scarlet Fever”, is the 12th in Sister Jane books and follows the previous 11 books into the world of “Sister Jane” Arnold, a Master of the Hounds in central Virginia. Any similarities between Sister Jane and Rita Mae Brown are intentional.

The fun for a reader of series books is the chance to revisit dear old friends in old places. We catch
June
Oct 26, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: ng
I'm never quite sure what to expect with a "cozy mystery"--minimal sex/cussing/gore? A tight-knit cast of characters, probably in a small town? A kind of Thomas-Kincade-pink, alternate reality where nobody punches a clock and yet everybody somehow owns nice possessions that perfectly reflect their quirky personalities?

Check, check, and check.

I didn't expect talking animals or a manual on fox hunting. But my dears, there are talking animals a-plenty here.

And lots of info on fox hunting. I took
BonnieM☂️
Nov 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Almost finish in one sitting, but it's Thanksgiving.
Stanley McShane
This cozy animal mystery is one my associate and I read together. The author presents a number of POVs including those of the foxes, hounds, horses, as well as the humans. And humans--there's a bunch of them! Protagonist Sister (Jane Arnold) functions as Master of Foxhounds for the Jefferson Hunt in a nasty, cold, rainy wintry season in the Virginia hills looking at the Blue Ridge Mountains, and the foxes are plentiful. And smart!

This narrative opens a world you only might briefly have been
With literally hundreds of characters having input, you will enjoy this book best if you have some familiarity with the series from previous reads. It does stand alone, especially if you care about horses, hunting or old southern tradition.
We hear from the perspective of horses and hounds and even from the foxes themselves, as several hunt packs traverse the landscape of Old Family Virginia.
The tradition and pageantry are beautifully descriptive and warmly welcoming despite chill winds and bone
Diane Hernandez
Nov 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: blog-tour, netgalley
I have read and loved all of the author’s Mrs. Murphy series so when I saw Scarlet Fever on NetGalley I snapped it up. Mrs. Murphy books are a more traditional cat cozy mystery though the cats and dog do talk and investigate crimes.

Scarlet Fever is book number twelve in the “Sister” Jane mysteries. This book literally has a hundred characters. There are talking hounds, dogs, and horses—all with intricate family relationships. There are also many human characters with seemingly long-standing
Kathleen Gray
Nov 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
This has a little more serious message than the usual Sister Jane mysteries- but know that you'll still find talking animals (love that!) and a lot of information about fox hunting. Sister Jane is the master of the hounds for the Jefferson Hunt and she solves murders. Or in this case, solves a mystery or two. It's been a rough season for the hunt- lousy weather and itchy people but Sister Jane still rides out. When a body is found (no spoilers) Sister Jane and the hunt must look among themselves ...more
George
Dec 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
#11 in the Sister Jane Arnold, the Master of Foxhounds for the Jefferson Hunt, located in the piedmont area of Virginia. Typical for Rita Mae Brown mysteries, the 4 legged animals are as important as the 2 legged ones. This is a good series to read with well developed characters (both human and animals) set in an area rich in behavioral traditions and historical history.

It is February and the fox hunting season is well underway though the weather has been much wetter than usual when a body is
Linda
Oct 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
If you are a Sister Jane fan then of course you will want to read the latest mystery by Rita Mae Brown (read from an eARC from Edelweiss). Set in the winter in Virginia fox hunting country, Sister Jane and her hunt are beset by the usual weather woes that make fox hunting challenging as well as deeply loved. In this season there is an overabundence of rain and even some usually well attended weekend hunts are either cancelled or draw only a small amount of members.
As usual, the members that
Judith Trail
Dec 02, 2019 rated it liked it
The series seems to be running out of steam. The descriptions of the fox hunts remain exciting and detailed, with expert knowledge of hound-work. However, the mystery portion of the book is really an after-thought to the hunting and the contrived situations of conversation among familiar characters in which the author states her opinions on everything: modern medicine, cars, politics, farming and land-development, you name it. The murder in this book occurs in the last few pages and there is no ...more
Jan
I always love the communications among the tame and wild animals, especially when they are passing judgment on the humans. There is also much verbal interaction among the hunt people in this unseasonably snowy late winter. The plot is good and the characters certainly are, but there is a deeper message about the victims of dementia and the devastation to family and friends. The only thing missing is the physical danger to residential staff (I know whereof I speak). I found it an excellent and ...more
Franci Wayland
Dec 01, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Bracing run but missed the usual cast of characters . . .

Impossible not to enjoy the latest from RMB but I did miss some of the usual suspects and longstanding members of the hunt. Granted their absence may have something to to with their naughtiness (which made many of them so damn likable) but that’s what makes this series so damn good. Raining in VA today and our Sunday meet was canceled so I more than ever felt a part of the novel, enduring a sloshy season with the Jefferson Hunt. Kick on!
Becky Galambos
Dec 02, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It was great to check in with the population of Sister Jane's area of Virginia and the members of the Jefferson hunt as I've grown fond of many characters after 11 previous books. Thankfully there are great appendices of characters and foxhunting terms for those not as familiar with the people, animals and terms in the book. This book had more serious theme than some.
Catie
Review copy provided by Random House - November 2019

**2.5 Stars**
Probably should have started with the first in the series, it was a bit confusing, keeping characters straight (be aware there are 9 full pages of cast of characters at the beginning of the book). Love the voices and roles of the various animals throughout the novel: hounds, horses and foxes. Having read this one though, I’m not sure I’ll continue with the series. If you’re a lover of the hunt (detailed descriptions), then do give
Caroline
Nov 27, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-b
I have read all the Sister Jane books and loved them all. This one not so much. There was no mystery to speak of and the book felt more like a lecture about the plight of Alzheimer patients than a novel. For me, this book lacked the charm of the previous ones.
karen wendt
Nov 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Love these stories. This one is excellent.
Brenda Freeman
Sep 18, 2019 rated it liked it
Another fine book from the Sister Jane series. This one felt a little off to me. There was no murder mystery to search for clues, no major arguments between the characters.
Heather Bennett
Oct 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Rita Mae Brown is a fabulous author who knows how to paint a great story. Scarlet Fever has well developed characters and is well written.
Amanda Yates
Sep 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book is just as amazing as all her others!! I loved every bit of the story told from everyone’s perspective. A fantastic read!!
PWRL
Nov 27, 2019 marked it as to-read
Shelves: 2019-new
A
Tracy
Nov 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Always a good read!
Joseph
Not much of a mystery, but still an enjoyable read of nice characters in an interesting setting.
Donna Huber
Nov 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
I think this is still considered a cozy mystery, but it isn't a typical cozy. There is not an amateur detective. Actually the mystery is not really the focus of the story. Yes, a murder occurs and it only comes up among the characters through gossip and speculation. The story focuses largely on foxhunting. Read my full review at Girl Who Reads
Alice
Nov 29, 2019
Lisa O'Brien
Nov 29, 2019
« previous 1 3 next »

• Once & Future (Once & Future, #1)
  • Christmas Shopaholic
  • Someone Like Me
  • Choose to Win: Transform Your Life, One Simple Choice at a Time
  • The Big Brain Teasers Book for Kids: Boredom Busting Math, Picture and Logic Puzzles (Woo! Jr. Kids Activities Books)
  • Palm Beach, Mar-a-Lago, and the Rise of America's Xanadu
  • Maker Life: Quilters, Potters, Painters, Weavers, Metalsmiths, Printmakers, and Others on Creativity and Craftsmanship
  • Why We're Wrong About Nearly Everything: A Theory of Human Misunderstanding
  • You Deserve Each Other
  • Under the Guise of Death
  • The Sinister Mystery of the Mesmerizing Girl (The Extraordinary Adventures of the Athena Club, #3)
  • Love Unknown: The Life and Worlds of Elizabeth Bishop
  • First You Write a Sentence.: The Elements of Reading, Writing … and Life.
  • There's Something About Darcy
  • Incredible Plant-Based Desserts: Colorful Vegan Cakes, Cookies, Tarts, and other Epic Delights
  • A Pale Light in the Black (NeoG #1)
  • Mobituaries: Great Lives Worth Reliving
  • The Flower Show Murder (Monica Noble, #2)
Rita Mae Brown is a prolific American writer, most known for her mysteries and other novels (Rubyfruit Jungle). She is also an Emmy-nominated screenwriter.

Brown was born illegitimate in Hanover, Pennsylvania. She was raised by her biological mother's female cousin and the cousin's husband in York, Pennsylvania and later in Ft. Lauderdale, Florida.

Starting in the fall of 1962, Brown attended the

"Sister" Jane (1 - 10 of 12 books)
  • Outfoxed ("Sister" Jane, #1)
  • Hotspur ("Sister" Jane, #2)
  • Full Cry ("Sister" Jane, #3)
  • The Hunt Ball  ("Sister" Jane, #4)
  • The Hounds and the Fury ("Sister" Jane, #5)
  • The Tell-tale Horse ("Sister" Jane, #6)
  • Hounded to Death ("Sister" Jane, #7)
  • Fox Tracks ("Sister" Jane #8)
  • Let Sleeping Dogs Lie (Sister" Jane, #9)
  • Crazy Like a Fox ("Sister" Jane #10)