Start by marking “Scarlet Fever ("Sister" Jane, #12)” as Want to Read:
Scarlet Fever ("Sister" Jane, #12)

Scarlet Fever

("Sister" Jane #12)

"Sister" Jane Arnold hopes to play matchmaker, but winds up playing detective when hunting season kicks off with a murder in a riveting mystery from the bestselling author of Homeward Hound.

Every fall, the start of hunting season brings crowds of people to Tattenhall Station. "Sister" Jane Arnold has long served as the proud Master of Foxhounds for the Jefferson Hunt, but
Published November 26th 2019 by Ballantine Books

Start your review of Scarlet Fever ("Sister" Jane, #12)
Jill Meyer
Nov 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
Rita Mae Brown is a very prolific writer. She has a couple of book series, including the Sneaky Pie Brown and the Sister Jane fox hunting series. This book, Scarlet Fever, is the 12th in Sister Jane books and follows the previous 11 books into the world of Sister Jane Arnold, a Master of the Hounds in central Virginia. Any similarities between Sister Jane and Rita Mae Brown are intentional.

The fun for a reader of series books is the chance to revisit dear old friends in old places. We catch up
June
Oct 26, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: ng
I'm never quite sure what to expect with a "cozy mystery"--minimal sex/cussing/gore? A tight-knit cast of characters, probably in a small town? A kind of Thomas-Kincade-pink, alternate reality where nobody punches a clock and yet everybody somehow owns nice possessions that perfectly reflect their quirky personalities?

Check, check, and check.

I didn't expect talking animals or a manual on fox hunting. But my dears, there are talking animals a-plenty here.

And lots of info on fox hunting. I took
Leah
Dec 16, 2019 rated it liked it
This one's a bit depressing. The story involves dementia, elder abuse, drugs, theft, blackmail, murder, and foxhunting. The dementia and elder abuse make this story so depressing. It's unfortunate that things like that happen. The animals added levity. The animals continue to be my favorite part of the story. The mystery is interesting but not the focus of the story.
BonnieM☂️
Nov 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Almost finish in one sitting, but it's Thanksgiving.
Nora-adrienne
Jan 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cozies
Another great story with Sister and the members of her Hunt Club.
Rebecca
Jan 04, 2020 rated it did not like it
Bleh. The reading draaaaaaaged interminably and the story itself was depressing, and also there was little to no mystery.
Linnea
Dec 18, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: books-in-series
Jumped around a bit. Some of the storylines were interesting but it took to long to tie it together.
Stanley McShane
This cozy animal mystery is one my associate and I read together. The author presents a number of POVs including those of the foxes, hounds, horses, as well as the humans. And humans--there's a bunch of them! Protagonist Sister (Jane Arnold) functions as Master of Foxhounds for the Jefferson Hunt in a nasty, cold, rainy wintry season in the Virginia hills looking at the Blue Ridge Mountains, and the foxes are plentiful. And smart!

This narrative opens a world you only might briefly have been
Andrea Guy
Scarlet Fever is the first book that wasn't a "Sneaky Pie" book of hers that I have read. I love the Sneaky Pie series.

This is fun book with a quirky cast of characters and animals play a central part in their lives. Sister Jane is a master of the hounds. But really its the animals that always make me fall for the story.

I had a harder time getting into this one, because it is book 12 in a series and well...I didn't know a lot of the cast, but once I sorted everyone out I was fine, and I
Pam
Dec 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Ive always enjoyed the foxhunting way of life in this series. Yet, Rita Mae Brown makes you truly think about the issues of today and brings out the good, bad, and the ugly. Get ready for one that touches so many of us. How difficult it is for family and friends to see those who are declining in probably the worst possible way in their minds. Its called many things, memory loss, senility, dementia and were all afraid of it happening to us or our family and friends. In this story, greed and ...more
Diane Hernandez
Nov 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley, blog-tour
I have read and loved all of the authors Mrs. Murphy series so when I saw Scarlet Fever on NetGalley I snapped it up. Mrs. Murphy books are a more traditional cat cozy mystery though the cats and dog do talk and investigate crimes.

Scarlet Fever is book number twelve in the Sister Jane mysteries. This book literally has a hundred characters. There are talking hounds, dogs, and horsesall with intricate family relationships. There are also many human characters with seemingly long-standing issues
With literally hundreds of characters having input, you will enjoy this book best if you have some familiarity with the series from previous reads. It does stand alone, especially if you care about horses, hunting or old southern tradition.
We hear from the perspective of horses and hounds and even from the foxes themselves, as several hunt packs traverse the landscape of Old Family Virginia.
The tradition and pageantry are beautifully descriptive and warmly welcoming despite chill winds and bone
Kathleen Gray
Nov 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
This has a little more serious message than the usual Sister Jane mysteries- but know that you'll still find talking animals (love that!) and a lot of information about fox hunting. Sister Jane is the master of the hounds for the Jefferson Hunt and she solves murders. Or in this case, solves a mystery or two. It's been a rough season for the hunt- lousy weather and itchy people but Sister Jane still rides out. When a body is found (no spoilers) Sister Jane and the hunt must look among themselves ...more
George
Dec 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
#11 in the Sister Jane Arnold, the Master of Foxhounds for the Jefferson Hunt, located in the piedmont area of Virginia. Typical for Rita Mae Brown mysteries, the 4 legged animals are as important as the 2 legged ones. This is a good series to read with well developed characters (both human and animals) set in an area rich in behavioral traditions and historical history.

It is February and the fox hunting season is well underway though the weather has been much wetter than usual when a body is
Linda
Oct 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
If you are a Sister Jane fan then of course you will want to read the latest mystery by Rita Mae Brown (read from an eARC from Edelweiss). Set in the winter in Virginia fox hunting country, Sister Jane and her hunt are beset by the usual weather woes that make fox hunting challenging as well as deeply loved. In this season there is an overabundence of rain and even some usually well attended weekend hunts are either cancelled or draw only a small amount of members.
As usual, the members that
Judith Trail
Dec 02, 2019 rated it liked it
The series seems to be running out of steam. The descriptions of the fox hunts remain exciting and detailed, with expert knowledge of hound-work. However, the mystery portion of the book is really an after-thought to the hunting and the contrived situations of conversation among familiar characters in which the author states her opinions on everything: modern medicine, cars, politics, farming and land-development, you name it. The murder in this book occurs in the last few pages and there is no ...more
Joyce Rawlins
Dec 08, 2019 rated it liked it
Scarlet Fever by Rita Mae Brown is about Sister Jane Arnold. She is dealing with frigid air in the Blue Ridge Mountains in February. Everyone cuddles in front of the fire until they find one of their group with his skull cracked at the bottom of a flight of stairs. Sister is not convinced this is an accident so she and her hounds determine to find out what really did happen. This book is all about the deep traditions of Virginia horse country. This is Rita Mae Browns 12th book in the Sister Jane ...more
Jan
I always love the communications among the tame and wild animals, especially when they are passing judgment on the humans. There is also much verbal interaction among the hunt people in this unseasonably snowy late winter. The plot is good and the characters certainly are, but there is a deeper message about the victims of dementia and the devastation to family and friends. The only thing missing is the physical danger to residential staff (I know whereof I speak). I found it an excellent and ...more
Franci Wayland
Dec 01, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Bracing run but missed the usual cast of characters . . .

Impossible not to enjoy the latest from RMB but I did miss some of the usual suspects and longstanding members of the hunt. Granted their absence may have something to to with their naughtiness (which made many of them so damn likable) but thats what makes this series so damn good. Raining in VA today and our Sunday meet was canceled so I more than ever felt a part of the novel, enduring a sloshy season with the Jefferson Hunt. Kick on!
Ann
Jan 28, 2020 rated it really liked it
This is typical Sister Jane book with murder, talking animals and fox hunting. The subject matter in this one is a little depressing dwelling on elder abuse and dementia. This is book 12 in the Sister Jane series and I like it more than her Murphy Brown books because she isn't pushing a political environmental agenda. You can read it as a stand alone. I received a copy of this ARC in exchange for a fair and honest review.
Nancy
Jan 10, 2020 rated it liked it
This book is more about fox hunting and weather than anything else but still makes for interesting reading because of the way the author portrays the characters. She can really make them come alive and be very personable. Of course, it also tends to have a modern day morale and be realistic in matters that can touch everybody's lives at some point in time. Well worth the time spent reading as it is a short book to begin with.
Denice Langley
Dec 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
Rita Mae Brown writes books that are fun and easy to read. She builds a community and populates it with entertaining characters. Entertaining until someone gets killed. In this new series she introduces us to the fox hunting crowd and sets them up for our heroine to solve a murder along with a major theft ring. I have always loved Rita Mae Brown's series and have now added this one to my friend's TBR piles!
Dana
Dec 15, 2019 rated it liked it
A bit disjointed and meandering, not the intricately entwined twists and turns of hunts and human nature that we've come to expect. In the end, while enjoyable, it felt wanting: much of the mystery was left out, the hunts mostly stood alone, and the character development was fairly non-existent. While I have loved this series from the start, the anticipation of this new installment vs. the reading of it has left me with a feeling that the series has lost its luster.
Alicia Woods
Mar 08, 2020 rated it liked it
I found this book in the "new" section of my library and was intrigued by the synopsis. It wasn't until I got home with it that I realized it's the 12th in the series. It was a bit difficult to follow for me, especially knowing which character was speaking at times. Overall, not a bad book but not my favorite.
Gail Sacharski
Feb 25, 2020 rated it really liked it
Rita Mae Brown is one of my favorite authors, especially the Sister Jane/Foxhunting series. I love the characters & the opinions & information, love the animals, love the descriptions of the countryside & foxhunting venues, love the passion the characters have for their animals, their land, their sport, & their history. Wonderful book.
Teresa A. Mauk
Jan 09, 2020 rated it liked it
I am a huge Sister Jane fan and eagerly await each book that comes out. However, I found this one to be less stellar than those at the beginning of the series. The writing seemed unpolished and in some places, unedited. Certain details were missing and the entire thing seemed to have been written in a rush.
With that said, I still enjoyed the book and look forward to future ones.
Julie
Feb 05, 2020 rated it really liked it
I picked this up from my library.
I enjoy the series. This one tackles dementia and elder abuse, and how it is hard for an outsider to tell, really, if someone with dementia is really being abused. Also highlights how hard it is to find affordable help.
There are two mysteries in this one. The first one, I almost figured out all the pieces. The second, my mind just didn't want to go there.
Debbie T
Mar 10, 2020 rated it it was ok
I'm getting tired of Rita Mae Brown's books, but I keep reading them! I guess because both the Mrs. Murphy mysteries and the Sister Jane books have a lot about fox hunting in them. I'm tired of Brown's style and her pronouncements on politics and Virginia's social mores. I need to take a break from her books for a while.
Becky Galambos
Dec 02, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It was great to check in with the population of Sister Jane's area of Virginia and the members of the Jefferson hunt as I've grown fond of many characters after 11 previous books. Thankfully there are great appendices of characters and foxhunting terms for those not as familiar with the people, animals and terms in the book. This book had more serious theme than some.
Judi
Dec 19, 2019 rated it liked it
I do like the fact that the author provides a rather complete cast of characters in the first few pages.

However, the author should know that if a cow has had a calf they are not called a heifer. I understand that probably most people wouldn't know such a thing but it shows a certain lack of either research or editing.

• There's A Murder Afoot (Sherlock Holmes Bookshop Mystery #5)
  • Invitation Only Murder (A Lucy Stone Mystery, #26)
  • A Christmas Gathering: A Novel
  • Owl Be Home for Christmas: A Meg Langslow Mystery
  • Fatal Roots (County Cork #8)
  • Once & Future (Once & Future #1)
  • A Murderous Tangle (Seaside Knitters Society Mystery #14)
  • Christmas Shopaholic
  • Someone Like Me
  • Verse and Vengeance (A Magical Bookshop Mystery #4)
  • Hounds of the Basket Stitch
  • Bookmarked for Murder (Mystery Bookshop, #5)
  • Choose to Win: Transform Your Life, One Simple Choice at a Time
  • The Big Brain Teasers Book for Kids: Boredom Busting Math, Picture and Logic Puzzles (Woo! Jr. Kids Activities Books)
  • Palm Beach, Mar-a-Lago, and the Rise of America's Xanadu
  • Why We're Wrong About Nearly Everything: A Theory of Human Misunderstanding
  • You Deserve Each Other
  • Under the Guise of Death
Rita Mae Brown is a prolific American writer, most known for her mysteries and other novels (Rubyfruit Jungle). She is also an Emmy-nominated screenwriter.

Brown was born illegitimate in Hanover, Pennsylvania. She was raised by her biological mother's female cousin and the cousin's husband in York, Pennsylvania and later in Ft. Lauderdale, Florida.

Starting in the fall of 1962, Brown attended the

"Sister" Jane (1 - 10 of 12 books)
  • Outfoxed ("Sister" Jane, #1)
  • Hotspur ("Sister" Jane, #2)
  • Full Cry ("Sister" Jane, #3)
  • The Hunt Ball  ("Sister" Jane, #4)
  • The Hounds and the Fury ("Sister" Jane, #5)
  • The Tell-tale Horse ("Sister" Jane, #6)
  • Hounded to Death ("Sister" Jane, #7)
  • Fox Tracks ("Sister" Jane #8)
  • Let Sleeping Dogs Lie (Sister" Jane, #9)
  • Crazy Like a Fox ("Sister" Jane #10)