Start by marking “The Thirteenth Guardian” as Want to Read:
The Thirteenth Guardian

The Thirteenth Guardian

Da Vinci’s secret pales. Michelangelo concealed an explosive truth in his famous Creation of Man fresco in the Sistine Chapel at the Vatican. Everything we have been taught about Eve is wrong—she didn’t cause the fall of man. Instead, Eve carried a far more devastating secret for millennia; one that will change the world forever.

As the modern-day world suffers the
Published June 7th 2019

To ask other readers questions about The Thirteenth Guardian, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Thirteenth Guardian

Start your review of The Thirteenth Guardian
Sheila Goicea
I received a copy of this book via BookSirens in exchange for an honest review. Thank you! In no way does this affect my rating or review.

description

All included quotes have been taken from an ARC and may not match the finished publication.

description

Content Warning: Death and destruction (by natural disasters)

”Could the true story of the Garden of Eden be completely different from what we have been taught? Did Michelangelo conceal the same ancient knowledge in his Sistine Chapel painting? That something happened,
Erika Sarutobi
Sep 03, 2019 rated it did not like it
1.5 stars just because the ending was interesting.
With all honesty, the sypnosis sounded more interesting than the whole book.

Now, when my reviews are realllly long, it means that I hated what I've read and nitpicked over everything that I disliked.

So, this was an interesting premise but the execution was horrible. The inspiration from the myths and religions with the author's twist was great (which is mostly mentioned in the end though) but it still wasn't enough. I'm honestly so disappointed.
Alaina
I received this ARC from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

I really wanted to like The Thirteenth Guardian but I just couldn't get into it. I would rather watch all the Da Vinci movies ever made than re-read this. If I'm being honest, I was really disappointed with this because the synopsis sounded amazing and I was intrigued. Yet, when I dove into this book I was instantly bored and constantly getting distracted by every little thing outside of the book.

I don't really want to dive into
MYSS|READS
Aug 20, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: arc

I really loved the premise of the book - an impending apocalypse, biblical lore, conspiracies, a cast of strangers who find themselves connected in a way they never could have predicted. As an avid consumer of Dan Brown's Robert Langdon series, this book should be perfectly suited to my tastes, however, there were a few things about The Thirteenth Guardian that prevented it from being a 4-star read for me.

My
chloe ♡
i received a review copy of this book in exchange for an honest review. all opinions below are my own.

this book was mindblowing.

i’m catholic, and even though my family isn’t super religious, i was sent to sunday school as a child to learn about the ten commandments and stories in the bible, such as moses leading the israelites out of egypt, and my presonal favorite – noah sailing away in an ark with his family and a bunch of animals when it rained for forty days and forty nights.

these stories
Jypsy
Apr 06, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
The Thirteenth Guardian is an okay read. I found the number of characters too overwhelming to keep track of. I also disliked the characterization overall. It's kind of ridiculous how perfect and capable every character is. It's sophomoric and cliche, and I struggled through this one. The story premise is interesting but presented in a way I found unappealing. Other readers with different interests and expectations will enjoy the book, but it's not for me. Thanks to NetGalley for an arc in ...more
Shakera
Jun 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Imagine, one day is just as normal as the last. A few days go by, and then an earthquake of a 9.9 magnitude occurs. Your country has never experienced such a catastrophe. Next, a tsunami, wiping out all of the east coast of the United States... New York, Boston, Pennsylvania, Florida... all underwater at the bottom of the Atlantic. Horrific natural disasters are happening all over the world in degrees undreamt of. One of the things each of these events have in common is people hear trumpets ...more
Sharon Mariampillai
I received a copy from BookSirens, in exchange for an honest review.

Thank you K.M. Lewis for giving me the opportunity to read your book. This was an alright read. I thought the story was good. It had action and suspense, but I found it a bit boring. The characters were okay. I did not love them or dislike them. They were not that relatable to me, so I had a difficult time connecting with them. I thought that the ending was okay. I hope to continue to read more books by K.M. Lewis. Overall, an
Athena
4 STARS

Full review to come
Isabel✨
Mar 16, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: survival
** EDIT: I was going back through my books for the year, and I can't stand by my original rating of two stars. The experience of reading this book was bad. I honestly have no positive memories of this book. I would have DNFed it if it weren't an ARC. All of those things put together should equal a one-star rating, but I think I went with two because this is one of the first ARCs I was approved for, and I was so excited about the experience that I tended to rate ARCs higher than I probably would ...more
Olga Miret
Apr 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
I obtained an early ARC copy of this novel through NetGalley, and I freely agreed to review it. This has in no way influenced my opinion.
I had a look at the early reviews of this book, whose description intrigued me, and this is one of those cases where I mostly agree with both, the positive and the negative things that I’ve read about it.
This is a book about the Apocalypse with capital letters, and rather than just narrate the adventures of a group of survivors after the event, we get a fairly
˗ˏˋ aphrodite ˊˎ˗
Mar 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
3.5-3.75/5 stars.

*I received an eARC through NetGalley but all opinions are my own*

oh man, oh man when I read the description of this I IMMEDIATELY sat down and read it. I am fascinated by the mythology of religion and there is just NOT enough biblical lore in books and the thirteenth guardian just made me realize how much I want that void filled.

so since there aren’t any reviews for this I wanna try to be thorough with my review but I’m a delinquent so pardon my in-eloquentness.

plot:
we follow
Luiza
Sep 11, 2019 rated it did not like it
This was... Disappointing.

I am a sucker for apocalyptic stories and I love a good twist on mythological tales, so I really wanted to enjoy this book and I tried to do so... It just wasn’t possible.

Starting with the characters: not a single one of them is well developed (or at all developed, in fact). None of them even seem human. They are all the most beautiful and most intelligent and the best at everything they do and have no flaws whatsoever. And they are all inexplicably successful at like
Olivia
Mar 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
Thank you to NetGalley and the publishers for giving me a copy in exchange for an honest review.

Solid 3.5 stars.
Woah okay hold on, I have very mixed feelings about this. At first I was annoyed about how preachy everything was and I truly believed it would become a fully-fledged christian-lit which I am not into because I am not religious in the slightest and get aggravated when it drags on.
But... It all pulled together and turned out not to be religious. I think?
Although the inaccuracy of the
Kristin Sledge
Thank you to NetGalley and the author for an advanced eBook copy of this title.

In the Thirteenth Guardian, we meet a multitude of characters and see many fates be sealed. The world is changing and the chosen few are coming together to find a way to save the world from mass annihilation, along with the people put in their paths to ensure they are able to meet.

There are great pieces in this story, but they are few and far between. The story takes much too long to progress and by the time we get to
Maryam
Mar 11, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I sat down to read a few chapters before I called it a night but next thing I knew, It was 3:00am and I'd finished the entire book! It was PHENOMENAL. I absolutely loved how seamlessly Lewis incorporated the mythological aspects of religion and the allure of secret societies with actual history, all the while keeping the story riveting as ever. Lewis' writing made everything sound so plausible, so eerily familiar that I kept looking out the window, waiting for all hell to break loose at any ...more
Lindsay
"The Thirteenth Guardian" is written really well. It is for the young adult genre but it really seem like it could be for adults as well. I was really captive while reading this book. The story is really good. Yes, it does not go into the characters to much as to detail. That is okay with me given that I am thinking the events that is taking place around the world is what this book is mostly about.

It made it so real. I am not wondering if this could happen to our world in a few months. Are we
Nikki Sojkowski
I was ecstatic upon reading the blurb and was beyond excited to get the chance to read this ARC. The Apocalypse? Secret Societies? Conspiracies? This book should have been right up my alley.

Unfortunately, the writing style is “tell, don’t show.” Furthermore, a perspective would be set up and then all of a sudden we would be receiving information that the character didn’t know. I found myself forcing myself to read further than I wanted to, in hopes that the style would improve as the book
CapricornReads- Kyra
I received this ARC from NetGalley & the publisher in exchange for an honest review.

This book was amazing. As soon as I read the description I knew that this book was going to intrigue me and oh did it ever! The book was fascinating and held my interest throughout the whole book.

The book was really well researched, the story is so deep and makes you question a whole lot. However it clearly and really lacked diversity which is a shame.

This book is going on my favorite books shelf just
Lauren Kastermans
Jul 02, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Thirteenth Guardian is an apocalyptic action-packed ride from the first page. Combining symbolism and themes from Egypt, The Holy Bible, Da Vinci Code, this novel effectively combines themes of faith, and doubt into a seamlessly written package.
Kat
Apr 18, 2019 rated it did not like it
DNF

I got about 17% through my kindle copy of this book which bought me up to chapter 4 and the book was just bringing no joy to me to read, whatsoever. The characters are bad AND badly written. The premise is interesting but it reads like an 8 year old wrote it. The dialogue is robotic and does not resemble anything like an actual conversation and the actions and reactions of the characters are ridiculous.

There was nothing in the first four chapters that made me want to carry on reading this
Karen (BaronessBookTrove)
Jun 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I voluntarily reviewed an Advance Reader Copy from the YA Bound Book Tours. This does not affect my opinion of the book or the content of my review. The end of days has finally come.
The Thirteenth Guardianby KM Lewis is a genuinely different approach to all the different types of dystopian books that I have read over the years. Mr. Lewis truly takes it into a new spin. Taking all the ancient stories, paintings, and all the religious teachings that we have known throughout time to wrap them up
Jo Hernanto
Aug 28, 2019 rated it liked it
The early pages struggles to find its groove as it drags through exposition on the characters, but it picks up once the cataclysmic chain of events start.
Lewis portrays these events with the gravity and spectacle it deserves (total "2012" vibes) - succeeding in conveying the horror and the captivating moments within an event with such abrupt pace. Lewis blends in the cinematic qualities of these spectacles with a somehow detached narrative (occasionally switching gears when we turn to a certain
Michelle
Jun 13, 2019 rated it liked it
The Thirteenth Guardian is the first book in the young adult trilogy by the same name by author K.M. Lewis. The Thirteenth Guardian is like the DaVinci Code mashed with a re occurrence of the plagues of Egypt. It is a whirlwind adventure from start to finish. I really got swept up in this book, and though there was a bit much going on at times, it was a really well done novel, and it has left me excited to continue
Devon (ReadByDev)
First off, thanks to NetGalley and KM Lewis for providing an e-book for my honest opinion!

My overall thoughts: This book has such an interesting plot! There are secret societies, a unique and refreshing POV on religious texts, myth & folk lore, and some - well seemingly not entirely scientifically accurate - cool speculations on Dooms Day/The Apocalypse. While the premise of this story is amazing - the world is ending in 13 days, and it turns out the plagues of Egypt weren't just meant to be
Allison Springer
Sep 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019
The thirteenth guardian is an interesting telling of Revelation and the world that emerges on the other side. The author has smartly diversified his group of protagonists not only ethnically, but in their areas of expertise and interest. One might criticize that this is done too well, too conveniently. Then again , this is fiction and therefore the author has license to head in whatever direction they choose to arrive at the tale and its conclusion. Since this is a planned trilogy, the reader ...more
Brooke Lorren
May 18, 2019 rated it liked it
I have to say that as an enjoyable story, I really liked The Thirteenth Guardian. At times I had trouble putting this book down, and I wanted to read "just one more chapter." The Biblical lore was interesting, the danger the world was in kept me reading, and the science (up until the very end) was believable. I lived in Italy for three years, and I enjoyed reading about events in Rome and the Vatican as someone who has visited there multiple times. As a story, I would give this book four stars.

Nikki
**2.5 Stars**

Tsunamis, flaming meteorites, earthquakes, and poisonous dust are only a few of the disasters that will plague Earth in the wake of a passing meteor. In a world experiencing the end of days, six strangers will be thrown together as the last few remaining survivors on Earth to rebuild society.

While I thought the premise for this novel was a creative, fresh take on the “end of civilization” biblical apocalypse, I did not feel the writing was of a quality on par with the storyline.
Shelley
Jun 11, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This apocalyptic novel describes how the plagues of Egypt devastate the world and interprets them in a modern way. There are however six extraordinary people, with special DNA, who are the only hope for the continued existence of mankind.
Myths, legends, religions and secret societies abound in this novel, which has one of the most original apocalyptic story lines I have encountered. The research is in depth and riveting, not the dry reciting of facts.

My only issue is with the six main
MJ P
Mar 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
SO *deep breath* - Started this book with the intention of reading a couple of chapters a day over a few weeks. O.M.G!!!! I couldn’t put it down! And now, I’m mad as heck that I’m done - I WANT MORE!!!!!

I feel like I just got off an epic rollercoaster ride that had crazy, yet believable conspiracies, awesome insights into ancient civilizations and unconventional secret societies.

Lewis did a number on me with the provocative ideas and explanations of some of the most baffling or otherwise hard
« previous 1 3 next »

• The Coordinate
  • Shadow Frost (Shadow Frost, #1)
  • The Book of Bones (Harvey Bennett #7)
  • Kingdom Cold
  • The Unchosen (The Queen Beyond, #1)
  • The Living God (The Living God, #1)
  • Last Secret Keystone: A Historical Mystery Thriller
  • Keys of Life (Uriel's Justice, #1)
  • The Immortal City (The Magicians of Venice, #1)
  • Smilodon
  • The Weight of a Soul
  • The Napoleon Affair (Sean Wyatt #18)
  • Alexandria Rising
  • The Secrets of Hawthorne House
  • The Girl Who Loved Caravaggio
  • Murder at Mistletoe Manor
  • Superdreadnought 1 (Superdreadnought, #1)
  • El Señor del Sabbath (La nación de las bestias #1)