Start by marking “Angel Mage” as Want to Read:
Angel Mage

Angel Mage

More than a century has passed since Liliath crept into the empty sarcophagus of Saint Marguerite, fleeing the Fall of Ystara. But she emerges from her magical sleep still beautiful, looking no more than nineteen, and once again renews her single-minded quest to be united with her lover, Palleniel, the archangel of Ystara.

A seemingly impossible quest, but Lilia
Published October 17th 2019 by Gollancz (first published September 30th 2019)

To ask other readers questions about Angel Mage, please sign up.
Garth Nix No, it's a standalone novel, at least at this stage.
Teresa Valentic There is a past relationship woman to woman and the character Rochefort relates that she loved a woman in the past and is attracted to Dorotea, but…moreThere is a past relationship woman to woman and the character Rochefort relates that she loved a woman in the past and is attracted to Dorotea, but there is no explicit descriptions of any kind of sex in the book. The matter is handled matter-of-factly as if there are no delineations of whom one should love as I wish it would be in this world.(less)

Tadiana ✩Night Owl☽
A hardback copy of this book just unexpectedly landed on my doorstep today, courtesy of the publicist, Wunderkind PR. Garth Nix's latest! How cool is that? And it's a fantasy inspired by the Three Musketeers!
destiny ♡⚔♡ [howling libraries]
Excuse me while I weep tears of joy. Garth Nix's work was my introduction to in-depth fantasy worlds and I feel like I owe so much of my taste in reading to Sabriel. I'm also curious to see how this differs from the other things I've read from him, since he's already gone on the record that this new adult fantasy is a new take from him (and it's a stand-alone!).

Thank you so much to the publisher for providing me with this ARC in exchange for an honest review!
Charlotte May
I adored the Sabriel series so I am ALL OVER THIS!!!
Ellie (faerieontheshelf)
WHAT DO YOU MEAN THIS IS A STANDALONE?! *cries*

I'm actually not kidding, I'm really upset. The world within ANGEL MAGE captivated me (I mean, it's basically Three Musketeers x Joan of Arc), and in my opinion, leaving it as a standalone . . . leaves so much out? (Not to mention it felt as if it was a trilogy opener. What about Liliath? What about Rochefort and Dorotea? What about the Ystarans?)

Full review to come after I come to terms with my grief/manage to condense all my love for this
Courtney
Jun 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I received a review copy of Angel Mage from the publisher via Edelweiss.

First off, I have to say I've always been a big Garth Nix fan. Between Sabriel, Mister Monday, Have Sword Will Travel and the rest, he does a magnificent job with world building. Angel Mage was no different. I was a little hesitant to start reading the book at first because... angels? In my head I imagined the angel/human love stories that were big back when I was a teen that did not pique my interest. But, again, my head t
Nemo (The Moonlight Library)
This review was originally posted on The Moonlight Library

Garth Nix is the Australian master of worldbuilding.

I’m not even joking.

Y’all should know that I don’t deliberately seek out male authors (because male authors tend to write books for men about men to the detriment of women) but Nix is one of my exceptions, and I’m happy to share that Angel Mage is not only an equal society gender-wise, with no sexism and many women in power and no labels like gay or straight, but it’s
Zoe Stewart (yerabooknerdzoe)
3.5/5

Honestly, this is not as good as I hoped it would be. I absolutely love Garth Nix's books, but this was sort of...lacklustre. I didn't connect with any of the characters, the world didn't feel fully fleshed out, and I truly think this would've done better as a duology. I have so many questions that weren't answered, and I felt just meh overall after finishing it. It was good, but not nearly to the level I was expecting.
Terry
Oct 06, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is wonderful! It's Garth Nix's version of The Three Musketeers, only he made four musketeers, and even better, there is magic. Liliath awakens from her century-plus sleep and immediately begins working on her plot to reunite with Palleniel, the angel she has fallen in love with. As part of the process, she gathers Henri, Dorotea, Agnez, and Simeon, who all have remnants of Palleniel within.

The depth of the characters in this story is fabulous. The main characters are especi
Amanda (MetalPhantasmReads)
Crap!! 😭😭😭😭😭 I did not love this... This is written like an actual classic (like Dumas, those kind) and that really threw me off. I wanted to know the main mystery behind lillath, but the answers didn't really come until the last 5% of the book. Parts were fun and I loved the icon making and the mythology of the angels but that's about it. I didn't really care for the main 4 characters and over half of the book felt it was both filler and the world building was too much in this case. This is a v ...more
Tucker

Many thanks to Wunderkind PR for sending me a copy in exchange for an honest review

this cover is beautiful

| Goodreads | Blog | Twitch | Pinterest | Reddit | LinkedIn |
Books, Coffee & Passion
Books, Coffee & Passion

Angel Mage is the best written book I’ve read this year. Garth Nix is a painter with words, everything in this world was vivid, interesting and exciting, combine this with an unique magic system and impressive characters like Liliath, Rochefort, Dorotea and Agnez and the result is an amazing story that kept me engaged until the very last word.
The world building is absolutely epic, there’s angelic magic, a magic “plague”, a mysterious mission, lots of angels sum
i v a n a
* Thank you to Edelweiss for the ARC! All opinions my own *

Well that was a wild ride - This book was very different to Nix's other work! I thoroughly enjoyed the transportive world building, and I always am engrossed by his immersive writing; he remains an instant buy author for me because of this. I think the use of angels here was original, especially when one considers the prevalence of such stuff as Cassandra Clare and whatnot, where the depiction is something more superpower
Lizzy (Bent Bookworm)
OMG this is 560 pages. O_O
Loretta (Laughing Listener)
May 2019

JUST GOT APPROVED FOR THIS ON EDELWEISS. BRB GONNA GO WEEP WITH JOY.

Happy crying
keikii Eats Books
To read more reviews like this, check out my blog at keikii Eats Books!

83 points, 4 stars

Quote:
It would have been natural for her to ask how long she had been in the coffin. But that was not her first question. She thought only of what was needful, for her all-consuming plan.

Review:
I really enjoyed Angel Mage. In part because I really like reading Angels in fantasy. In part because Garth Nix is an amazing writer. And in part because of the influences Garth Nix drew from to create this bo
Cindy ✩☽ Savage Queen ♔
Never read Sabriel, but I've heard good things and this sounds rather promising
Susan
Sep 29, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Yada yada star system yada yada

Before I get into Angel Mage by Garth Nix, let me clarify two important points.

1. I have absolutely no background on the Three Musketeers beyond the general knowledge of its existence in both literature and the chocolate bar.

2.  This is the first novel I've ever read by Garth Nix, although I do know of his inherent greatness and influence of everyone else in the free reading world.

Having said that, for others that mi
Andrew
Oct 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Review going up on 31st October for Angel Mage blog tour! But yeah, I loved this book!
Kat McCorkle
Aug 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Look, y'all. If Garth Nix wrote the phone book, I'd probably read it. BUT. THIS NOVEL. HECK. I could hardly put it down, and now that I'm done, I want to read more.

World building? Amazing. Characters? So well drawn. Magic system? Consistent and creative (fans of the Bartimaeus trilogy by Jonathan Stroud, you should totally read this next). It has a pretty different vibe from the Old Kingdom series, but it's equally amazing. From what I understand, this is a stand-alone novel, but I s
Megan Lyons
2 1/2 stars

This was a solid book in that the writing was competent, the world building was strong, and the pacing was fairly well done. However, I couldn’t help feeling like it was missing something as I was reading it. I really liked the “Abhorsen” trilogy as a teen, as well as “Shade's Children,” so I was really looking forward to this.

I think what was missing here was a connection to the characters. I just didn’t connect to any of them, so I just didn’t really care about what hap
Taschima
I suck, I should have liked this one more. Cause, Garth Nix is like a legend around these parts. But while I thought the lore was REALLY cool, I did feel the story dragged along and I didn't feel super invested in the characters.

❤ The lore in Angel Mage was pretty cool and definitely unique. Angels are summoned through icons, which humans are somehow able to manipulate to their own detriment. When they summon angels, and use their power, they have to give time out of their lifeline in exchange.
Justine
Originally posted to I Should Read That

I received a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review. This review is spoiler-free.

Although I’m a latecomer to Garth Nix’s fantasy books, having only just read Sabriel earlier this year, I was super excited to read his latest book. Angel Mage is his first adult fantasy book, and it’s a proper chunky tome too!

There is a lot to love about Angel Mage, and I suspect it will delight many of Nix's fans. The magic system, which feels heavily influenced by Cath/>I
USOM
Oct 02, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
(Disclaimer: I received this book from Edelweiss. This has not impacted my review which is unbiased and honest.)

I'm kind of obsessed with Garth Nix. The Sabriel books practically raised me. They were one of the first books series I read where I felt a connection to the character and I've stuck with them forever. I own two copies of the entire set and I've been a forever fan ever since.

Angel Mage is an epic story of great power and youth. In many ways, it almost feels like two storie
Haley Renee The Caffeinated Reader
Oct 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: earcs
4.5/5

Review to come for tour on 15/10
Di
2.5 stars - Slightly better than just Okay

I'm not sure what I really expected when I saw that Nix was writing a new standalone. Being a fan of The Old Kingdom series and so many of the characters in there I know I was expecting to be blown away. The cover is gorgeous, and the idea of the Three/Four Musketeers being mixed with Magic and Fantasy really, really excited me. I just.. really struggled with this one. I just expected so. Much. More. And I'm sure that was the beginning of my
Amanda
Sep 27, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I absolutely loved this new world from one of my favorite authors. The depiction of angels, iconography, and women kicking ass at military + governmental leadership roles was MADE FOR ME.
K B
Oct 17, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5 Stars

Angel Mage is a unique story in which the reader simultaneously follows the villain and the ‘heroes’ – an intriguing narrative style that allows you to see what both sides are thinking and yet never giving away the plot, the reason to the villains goals, or anything key that may potentially spoil the story.

So, we follow Liliath, initially as she wakes up from her, more than century long, sleep with a single goal in mind- find and reunite with Palleniel. The story
Scratch
Oct 12, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm just not sure. While I enjoyed the tone and flavor of the magic system, the whole thing does leave me feeling a bit... unsatisfied.

I'll check off the note I keep making in my reviews these days about LGBTQ characters-- I cannot stand the current convention of creating fictional fantasy worlds in which LGBTQ characters simply don't have to face homophobia. While I understand the wish-fulfillment nature of this, the actual execution offends me. Because I endured years of homophobia
Sahitya
I remember owning a couple of books from this author’s Abhorsen series years ago but I never read them. Even this book wasn’t on my radar, but when I happened to read the synopsis around the time of its release, I thought it was a bit different from my usual reads and wanted to give it a try. I can’t say I was blown away by it, but it turned out to be a good read.

I liked the idea of this world, each kingdom having its own archangel with their own host of lesser angels, and the mages of the king
« previous 1 3 next »
Goodreads Librari...: Please increase page number 3 10 Oct 06, 2019 07:29PM
Garth Nix was born in 1963 in Melbourne, Australia, to the sound of the Salvation Army band outside playing 'Hail the Conquering Hero Comes' or possibly 'Roll Out the Barrel'. Garth left Melbourne at an early age for Canberra (the federal capital) and stayed there till he was nineteen, when he left to drive around the UK in a beat-up Austin with a boot full of books and a Silver-Reed typewriter. ...more