Start by marking “The Gordon Place” as Want to Read:
The Gordon Place

The Gordon Place

Lost Hollow constable Graham Gordon just walked into his abandoned childhood home for the first time in twenty years. Local teenagers have been spreading rumors about disembodied screams coming from inside. Now, thanks to a rickety set of cellar stairs and the hateful spirit of his dead father, he might never escape.

Meanwhile, Channel 6 News feature reporter Afia Afton—who
Published April 15th 2019 by Lost Hollow Books

To ask other readers questions about The Gordon Place, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Gordon Place

Start your review of The Gordon Place
Cameron Chaney
A big thank you to Sean Duregger, the narrator of the audiobook edition, for sending me a download in exchange for an honest review! Video review coming soon...

The Gordon Place by Issac Thorne opens with a disclaimer from the author assuring his readers that this novel is about the horrors of racism. It is not a racist novel. I'll admit, this statement made me nervous from the get-go. If an author feels the need to include a disclaimer exposing the point of their novel outright so that readers w
Michael McLellan
First off I have to say that I dig Isaac Thorne's writing style. In a genre where it's sometimes difficult to separate the wheat from the chaff, this is good old school horror, remarkably well-written and suitably creepy.
Latasha
i was really excited to listen to this one but this one just didn't work for me. Thank you Issac Thorne for your warning up front! if that wasn't there, i would've turned this off a lot sooner. As for why it didn't work, i never cared about any of the characters. The idea sounded great, i guess i was expecting more haunting & black dog sightings. the use of black bitch over and over was really getting old by the end of the book. While i didn't really like this one, i would give the author anoth ...more
Lou
Apr 17, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The tale starts by inviting into a condemned place and condemned souls, men with troubles of hate and alcohol, a bad father who had beaten down on a son with a possible chance in life, memories, the dead past and the bad things remaining.

There is mention of murder of a past time, ones of hate, things from past revisiting our main character, a son of a man, kin, human but not humane.

Reeling and hooking you in to the tale successfully with need for answers with all the other world things occurring
Jessica Bronder
May 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Graham Gordon left his childhood home and vowed to never go back after the abuse from his drunken father. Now his is the only constable in the town of Lost Hollow and he finds himself back at his childhood home. At the same time reporter Afia Afton has returned to Lost Hollow on the hunt for a Halloween story but secretly looking for whole killer her father when she was young.

Both Graham and Afia find themselves intertwined with their father’s past and hatred of each other. I liked both Graham
Teresa
Sep 22, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If you like sick and twisted this book is for you. There are some racial slurs ( but you must take them in the context they were written, which is explained) , lots of colorful language and at times violence. There's ghosts, possession, and so much more.

I was given this free review copy audiobook at my request and have voluntarily left this review.
Steve Stred
Mar 18, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
** Edited as Review is now live on Kendall Reviews! **

The Gordon Place is my first go around with Mr. Thorne’s work, although I’ll admit I’ve had his collection Road Kills on my radar for some time.

The synopsis/premise of The Gordon Place, is itself intriguing. The small town of Lost Hollow has one constable, Graham Gordon. Graham returns to his abandoned childhood home. The house itself holds horrible memories from his youth, and he’d vowed to never return. But now duty calls and he must.

Meanwh
Al Burke
Apr 27, 2020 rated it really liked it
Good modern haunted house story - https://www.alwroteabook.com/2020/04/... ...more
timj26
Aug 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
After graham convinces his small town to sell him his condemned childhood home his past comes back to haunt him
A fantastic ghost story that also deals with child and alcohol abuse along with racism in rural communities
Overall a well narrated paranormal mystery I thoroughly enjoyed
I received a free review audiobook and voluntarily left this review
M.R. Tapia
Oct 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Knock knock.
Who’s there?
A multilayered book that fans of the Ronald Malfi and the King himself would greatly enjoy. I had the pleasure of listening to the audiobook which was performed well, helping to illuminate the writing of Thorne. I’m looking into more of his work from here on. No joke.
Kayla Krantz
When Graham decides to return to his childhood home, he’s not sure what to expect. The place has been abandoned for years, and in the shadows lurk his memories. The worst of which are tied to his father. To save himself, he must get to the bottom of his father’s twisted past.

A unique twist on a haunted house tale. There’s quite a bit of racism in the story which made it hard for me to get through because I was constantly rooting for the downfall of most of the characters. The author did a good j
Sharon
Jun 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a new author to me, and he has written a delightful horror story with the suspense being built throughout the story. This resulted in my sitting on the edge of my seat in anticipation of what was going to happen next. The author does a wonderful job of setting the scene and telling the story by weaving past and present together, with characters who are well developed and relatable. A great book!
Brad
Nov 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A refreshingly original horror tale with psychosocial allegories on par with The Babadook. Sean Duregger nails it with the narration! His ability to capture the personalities and intents of each character elevates the story to another level entirely. The audiobook version is definitely worth your time!
Pat Eroh
Jun 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Honestly, the best horror story I have read in a long time. This author is an excellent writer and this story had me glued to the pages. Definitely a compelling read.

Jodi Sweet
May 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This story was very original and chilling. It was also realistic in the way it portrayed the father with his backwards, bigoted, racist, child abusing, totally horrific ways and how it was all pasted down by his own father. Regardless of how Lee (the bad father) was, his son, Graham, didn’t take after him. Thank goodness! Afia and Staff also learned that just because you’re supposed to do a fluff Halloween story, it’s not always what you get! I really hope I don’t have nightmares from this, or s ...more
Vicky Peplow
May 09, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very intense and masterfully wrote book. Enjoyed it from beginning to end. Plenty of twists so some may get lost but for the avid reader, very intriguing. I love the horror and supernatural genres and this fits in perfectly.

If you are easily offended, then this book may not be for you but remember this book is fictional.

Great characters and great story.
Sue
May 27, 2020 rated it really liked it
I hate leaving reviews, or deciding between stars since personal opinion is ..... just an opinion, but I finished The Gordon Place last night and am glad I had the chance to read this one. We've been quarantined for over 80 days, and a few weeks ago I put my info out on Instagram asking for book contests to enter, and shared my address with a writer. Who shared it with writers. Isaac Thorne must have gotten my info because The Gordon Place arrived unexpectedly. Once it made it past decontaminati ...more
C. Gonzales
Aug 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror
What a terrific read! You will meet some wonderful and intriguing characters. This book did not disappoint. The characters were realistic without being too detailed. The writing was to the point no skirting around things which made for a very easy read.
Tina
May 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Isaac Thorne wrote a very impressing story called The Gordon Place. Haunted house spooky ghost murder mystery what more could you need.

Sandra (bookjunkee)
Feb 12, 2020 rated it it was amazing
supernatural goodness
Lydia Nicole
May 22, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book had me sucked in from the beginning. I loved getting to know the characters (except for Lee) and seeing how much they've grown through the flashbacks and having to deal with this bizarre situation together.

The author has a note at the beginning stating that there are scenes of violence and racism and it still did not prepare me with the introduction of Lee Gordon. Lee Gordon is hands down the most vile character I've ever been introduced to in a fictional story. Some villains have som
Lorraine
May 23, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 4-star, horror
The Gordon Place is a chilling paranormal tale that kept me turning the pages. The writing switches between the past and modern day, and presents a tense and creepy story.

Duty calls and, as the only constable in the small town of Lost Hollow, Graham Gordon has returned to his childhood home. A place where his mother left him to be beaten and abused by his alcoholic father, who has now been dead for many years. Graham has an accident and because of the run-down state of the house, he can’t get o
Charles Hanna
May 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have always been a fan of the horror genre, and was particularly happy to find a good read in a category that is too-often plagued by digital dime-store paperbacks that can quickly degenerate into a propensity for gore over masterful suspense...something the author of The Gordon Place is not guilty of.

Who isn’t captivated by the idea of a creepy house in the backwoods? And yet, despite the ubiquitous precedent for this tale, it here has a fresh uniqueness that is riveting and entertaining.

When
Ravin Maurice
Apr 23, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Isaac Thorne has written a page turner that kept me guessing the whole time.
It all begins with Constable Grahame Gordon heading to his family's old house to fix a broken security light - and turns into a supernatural mystery that tackles small town prejudices and politics at its finest. The characters were well developed and fleshed out, I especially liked Alfia, the reporter who returns to the small town of Lost Hollow to do a campy Halloween story and gets much more than she bargained for.
I
Jasmine
May 17, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Gordon Place is a horror novel set in a small town with some seriously dark secrets.

A man wanting to renovate his childhood home gets more than he bargained for when he ends up in the basement.

A female news reporter returns to the small town that caused her so much grief and discovers the horrors of her childhood still haven't been put to rest.

This is a dark, horrifying story that will leave readers uneasy and creeped out. It's more than just a haunted house story. It's more than just unc
Victoria
Apr 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Gritty horror story

Caught up in this engrossing story, you will feel every chill in the air, see every trick of the light, hear every creak and eerie voice. Thorne superbly builds up a chilling and riveting tale of a new constable rediscovering the horrors of his past and new terrors he never could have dreamed of, and leaves readers on the edge of their seats desperate and terrified for more.
Pamela Morris
Oct 22, 2019 rated it liked it
Lee Gordon just wants to live his life, unfortunately, he wants to do it at the expense of his son having a life, too.

The beginning was a little slow for me, but once things started happening it was an enjoyable read that kept me turning pages. The dog was pretty creepy and all the main characters were well-rounded, believable, and relatable. That's really important to me when it comes to enjoying a book - even though Lee was about as repugnant a person as can be - you knew were he stood and wh
 Reading Reindeer
After more than six decades of reading horror daily, I cannot recall ever reading a story quite like this one. Weird--and distinctly unique. Set in a tiny town in Tennessee, the story intricately weaves back and forth between contemporary setting and the ugly 1990's, ugly here because the bigotry is still alive and well. Reconstruction had nothing on these folks, who act like they're living in George Wallace's Alabama.

Graham Gordon is the newly elected Town Constable of Lost Hollow, and a more f
Michelle
The storyline in this book has a lot of promise….classic horror with a haunted house, creepy black dog creature, people with old hangups and hidden guilt, and the like. The writing was what caused me to give a lower rating. I normally prefer books that are longer, and ones where the author goes into a lot of detail, but this one felt overdone to the point it took away from the story itself. There were constantly sections that just seemed to drag on and on with explaining something to death that ...more
Angie Bulkeley
Apr 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Gordon Place takes ghost stories to the next level as father and son battle it out in a supernatural fight for freedom. Thorne's tale of retribution, combined with his incredible talent for character development, offers a very unique and exciting read. Sometimes, you just can't escape the skeletons in your closet. Even after death.

• Shepherd's Warning (The Elders Book #1)
  • Calling Back the Dead (Northern Michigan Asylum #2)
  • The Devil's End
  • The Only Good Indians
  • Voices in the Snow (Black Winter, #1)
  • Clown in a Cornfield
  • The Siren and the Specter
  • Deliver Us From Evil
  • Black Cat
  • The Demon of Mansfeld Manor (The Paranormal Archaeologist #1)
  • Ultimate Sacrifice
  • The Pumpkin Head Mystery (The Boxcar Children, #124)
  • Little Whispers
  • Ashes Beneath Her (Northern Michigan Asylum #3)
  • Stranger Planet (Strange Planet, #2)
  • Stay Out of the Basement  (Goosebumps, #2)
  • The Safe Place
  • Down The Beaten Path
Isaac Thorne is a nice man who has, over the course of his life, developed a modest ability to spin a good yarn. Really. He promises. He also avoids public men’s restrooms at all costs.

He considers himself a lover of books, music, movies, and other forms of pop culture phenomenon. His philosophy on his life is that it's all one giant experiment.