Start by marking “Proximity: If the police always know where I am...how do I kill you? (iMe Series Book 1)” as Want to Read:

5* Review ‘you can barely pause for breath…It’s explosive’ Gill Chedgey (NB Magazine)

5* Review ‘I must admit that I finished the book with a prayer that I will never see something like iMe in my lifetime - the idea is just too terrifying’ Breakaway Reviewers

'Proximity hits hard and cold right to the heart of what could be our future, and this knowledge makes this book
Published June 6th 2019 by Serpentine Books

To ask other readers questions about Proximity, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Proximity

Meggy
Jun 01, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

I would like to thank Midas and Serpentine Books for inviting me to be part of the blog tour. I received a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

I was born in 1990. I am often told my generation sits on the gap between the old age and the new age, aka, life without everyday technology versus the slow but unavoidable invasion of technology in our lives. I remember playing outdoors, I remember settling in front of the telly to watch my anime because I wouldn’t be able to have it on

Barry Hobbs
Jul 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
An excellent read. Being written in the first person gave the characters more meaning & enabled me as the reader to follow the storyline easier throughout the book. This is a book that has the reader in expectation, intrigue, & suspense throughout. Very hard book to put down after the first few chapters & the reader is into the storyline. As a person who likes to ‘think outside the square’ this book grabbed my interest very early on & I was able to hold that interest through to t ...more
Breakaway Reviewers
May 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Policing under difficult circumstances.

Thief: “For the first time in ten years, the real me walked free. I savoured every beat of excitement that pulsed through me. All those failures, but now it was working…….. They couldn’t see me, and what was left of the police force wouldn’t even know where to begin.”

How else am I going to write this review and try to explain what lies ahead for the reader if I don’t quote the opening words of the Thief? There’s science fiction and then there’s the future
Susan Hampson
Jun 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: author-reads
Oh wow, I am absolutely blown away with this book. Set in the future, but one that is totally believable, big brother is definitely watching every move everyone makes. Obesity is a thing of the past and crime almost none existent. Well, it sounds pretty cool to me. Sign me up! But it’s not everyone’s cuppa tea!
When a serial killer discovers a way to go off grid and scratch an itch that has been suppressed for the last ten years since tracking everyone was introduced, all hell breaks loose. DI Cl
EJE
Jul 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
What is so chilling about Jem Tugwell’s assured debut novel Proximity is how close reality is coming to his well-realised world in which technology commands every aspect of life.

The immersive world building in this book feels effortless and is to be savoured. Little details like the traffic jams caused by self-driving cars constantly circling around for their next pickup. Or the all-seeing Big Brother nature of ‘iMe’ and the implants that act like a FitBit on steroids telling you what you can a
Ellie ↟
May 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
Proximity is a crime thriller set in a futuristic version of our own world. With technology having been extremely advanced from what we know today, a system called 'iMe' has been integrated into everyones lives. 'iME' has created the ability for complete control over life and the total eradication of crime, until now.

Proximity follows the journey of Di Clive Lussac, who with the eradication of crime is finding his day job as a detective inspector unfulfilling. That is until the impossible happe
Dave De
Sep 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I have read this book and have to say that I found it to be a good read.
I liked the way it was written in the first person.
Has a good flow to it and easy to read.

I have to admit that I am not a fan of IT and this book has not done anything to build my faith in IT. Although in fairness I have to say it is human nature that has flaws and it is the way that we use IT that is the source of my distrust.

A very entertaining book, moves faster than the cars in the story , well worth picking up this b
Jonathan Richards
Jun 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A crime thriller which lurks in the future just around the corner. The humour of Clive Lussac's battles with technology that keeps everyone healthy and safe, counterpoints a traditional detective thriller. Old school detective skills are called upon to solve some gruesome murders; murders which are supposed to be impossible in a world where everyone's movements are tracked. An insight into a chilling future, with twists which kept me guessing until the end.
Stephen Toman
Jul 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Outstanding. I couldn't set it down, even through the gory bits, laughing out loud at times from the humour helped compensate.
Gill Chedgey
Jun 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I found this to be an extraordinary book considering it is a debut novel. It functions on a couple of levels; as a crime thriller with a deeply delicious twist and as a chilling indictment of how far our dependence on technology can intrude in an all encompassing manner upon our lives. But what is so clever is how the book offers the pros and the cons making it hard in some respects to come down firmly on one side or the other. How could you object to the eradication of crime?

In many dystopian/
emmabbooks
Jun 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Exciting thriller with near future technology and AI

A woman goes missing, which is impossible given the technological advances in place. Can she be found, and the technological glitches resolved? Or is there something more sinister happening?

A brilliant thriller where the nanny state is enhancing the freedom of citizens, or controlling them, depending on your point of view. DI Lussac (who prefers the old freedoms) and his young DC (who loves the new technology) are trying to track down the miss
Barry O'Brien
Jun 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Proximity is the first novel I have read by Jem Tugwell. I found it both thought provoking and highly entertaining. The core storyline had me on the edge of my seat from start to finish. Descriptive scenes brought the action and character interactions to life and made me feel like I was there watching the story unfold. The backdrop of the 'near future' setting for the story is truly eye-opening and really makes the reader ponder if this is where technology will ultimately take us!

At the core is
Karyn Galbraith
May 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book.
It had a different aspect to anything I've read before. It has made me think about how I use technology myself. While I was reading it I was just carried along with the story as it was all very believable. It is only when I finished the story I thought more deeply about how we track our lives already.
I enjoyed the humour that was also evident throughout the book which you don't always get with crime style stories. I actually chuckled and then looked up feeling guilty for laugh
Alex Mar
Jun 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I think by now everyone knows I’m a sucker for good world building. Proximity brought its world building A game and just a glimpse into this speculative future (how speculative is it really?) left me feeling a bit queasy.

Loved the use of iMe in crime and how so much of investigating had to be relearned as a result of its existence.

Definitely a procedural with a twist and left us with a window left for Clive and Zoe to return (and I hope they do!). Looking forward to see how their characters con
Rebecca
Jun 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favourites
An enjoyable and somewhat unnerving peek at what technology could be like in our future. "Proximity" is fast-paced, imaginative and could easily be featured as the next episode of "Black Mirror". It's a big 5 stars from me!

Thanks to the author Jem Tugwell and publisher Serpentine Books for the opportunity to read this as part of my blog tour review: https://whatrebeccasread.wordpress.co...
Tracey
Jun 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I read Proximity with my book group. Despite it not being my usual 'cup of tea' in terms of subject matter, I really enjoyed it and raced through to see if my guess as to the murderer was correct. It wasn't!
I look forward to book 2 in the iMe series.
Paul Baker
Jul 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
What a fantastic book. Great pace, drama and story. Set in a future that did not seem that far away and which felt so real. Got me hooked from page 1 to the very end. Cannot wait for the next book from this new author.
Marilyn Galbraith
Sep 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A very good read. Generally I don’t go futuristic fiction, however with today’s technology the book was eerily close to being a possible reality. Enjoyed that it was all written in first person. Plot was excellent and I found it hard to put down once into it. Really recommend this book!
Suzanne
Jun 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Credible and Intriguing!

Brilliant debut novel by Jem Tugwell, unique plot, great writing and characterisation. It has you totally gripped from beginning to end. Must read!
Ciara
Jul 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Great read. Interesting maybe scary concept of where the future may lead. I definitely recommend.
Nadine Matheson
Jun 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Proximity, is a crime thriller, set in a near future that is chillingly more fact than fiction. Detective Inspector Clive Lussac and his new partner, Zoe Jordan, are in pursuit of an untraceable killer in a world where it should now be impossible to get away with committing a crime. Lussac is a detective whose old school methods of investigating a crime are now redundant. We immediately empathise with him as he struggles to maintain his independence and his futile attempts to rebel against a sys ...more
Oliver Clarke
May 22, 2019 rated it liked it
This review first appeared on scifiandscary.com - copy provided by the publisher for review consideration

‘Proximity’ is that kind of high concept book that takes an interesting idea and then turns it into a murder mystery. I reviewed a great example of this sub-genre (speculative whodunnit?) earlier in the year, ‘Golden State’ by Ben H Winters. ‘Proximity’ isn’t as good as that book, but it’s still a fun thriller with some decent notions.
It’s set in a near future Britain, where society’s relian
Louise
May 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A great crime thriller set in potentially very real alternative near future to the current world we live in. You could easily see how technology is evolving in a way where we might find ourself living in this type of world. Makes you think about which bits you like and hate.

I really liked the dynamic between DI Clive Lussac and PC Zoe Jordan, and the unexpected humour.

A must read, easy to get into and it keeps you hooked.
Giulietta Grover
Jun 17, 2019
Barbara Jordan
Jun 06, 2019
Regina Black
rated it did not like it
Aug 12, 2019
Jade
Aug 01, 2019
James
May 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Great read! Couldn't put the book down!
Set in a world that ours seems like it's rapidly becoming. Each character could be the villain and the book keeps you guessing right until the end.
Would highly recommend to anyone who's looking for their next book!
Hopefully the author writes another one!
Deb
Jun 26, 2019
Jem Tugwell
Mar 12, 2019 is currently reading it  ·  (Review from the author)
Roland Clarke
Sheila Howes
May 17, 2019
Holly
Jun 16, 2019
Jem Tugwell is a crime fiction author with a Crime Writing MA from City University. Proximity is his thrilling debut novel, inspired by the fascinating possibilities of technology, AI and the law of unintended consequences. In a past life, Jem had a successful career in investment management, and he now lives in Surrey with his wife, two young children and dog. Outside of his family and writing, J ...more