Start by marking “When God Had a Wife: The Fall and Rise of the Sacred Feminine in the Judeo-Christian Tradition” as Want to Read:

Reveals the tradition of goddess worship in early Judaism and how Jesus attempted to restore the feminine side of the faith

• Provides historical and archaeological evidence for an earlier form of Hebrew worship with both male and female gods, including a 20th-century discovery of a Hebrew temple dedicated to both Yahweh and the warrior goddess Anat

• Explores the Hebrew
Published December 10th 2019 by Bear Company

To ask other readers questions about When God Had a Wife, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about When God Had a Wife

Start your review of When God Had a Wife: The Fall and Rise of the Sacred Feminine in the Judeo-Christian Tradition
Stephanie (Bookfever)
I'm gonna jump right in and say that When God Had a Wife: The Fall and Rise of the Sacred Feminine in the Judeo-Christian Tradition has been one of the most fascinating books I've ever read. I randomly requested it on NetGalley because I liked the title and I wanted to read a nonfiction. I'm obviously very glad I did because I highly enjoyed this book and I consider it a 2019 favorite of mine now.

I am a history lover and I've always been intrigued by anything biblical ever since I was a child
Anna Louise
Oct 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
Thank you to Net Galley for sending me a copy in exchange for a honest review.

I found it incredibly interesting in how these religions were formed in the beginning - it's something I've always been interested in, how Judaism, Christianity and Islam all kind of circle around the same geographical area, principles and all include Jesus, which just makes the endless war and hatred of each other throughout history completely ridiculous to me. I am someone who is not religious in any way shape or
Vivienne
My thanks to Inner Traditions/Bear & Company for an eARC via NetGalley of ‘When God Had A Wife’ by Lynn Picknett and Clive Prince in exchange for an honest review.

Subtitled ‘The Fall and Rise of the Sacred Feminine in the Judeo-Christian Tradition’ this book is the culmination of decades of research by its authors and also revisits key themes from their previously published works.

While approaching the topic in a scholarly manner they write: “Part of our mission is to build a bridge between
Naomi Ruth
This book was wonderful. So many interesting things to think about. It pairs well, in my opinion, with Thompson's The Mythic Past. I love the writing style. I will be thinking about this book for a long time.
Cynthia
Aug 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A fascinating, scholarly book about the divine feminine in Judaism and Christianity. The authors show that - despite our assumption that monotheism has existed since the time of Abraham (at least) - there has always been a "goddess" figure who was worshipped in Judaism. This "goddess" figure was also a part of early Christian sects as well.

Anyone who is interested in a scholarly approach to the Bible should read this book. Much of the book is focused on the Old Testament and addresses many
Faith
Dec 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book begins with the authors discoursing on El and Yahweh, who were they, where did they come from, and how they were so closely resembling Egyptian Gods. They also brought up both Sons of God and Angels, are they one and the same? Did Exodus really happen and did the Red Sea really part?

Asherah who Is she? What are her origins? Why is her name found in multiple cultures? What is her role and how does it impact Judaism and in reflection, Christianity as well? What symbols are designated
Vivienne
Dec 09, 2019 rated it really liked it

Gayle Noble
An intriguing look at the sidelining of the Sacred Feminine within Judaism and Christianity. The authors go back to the time of the Israelites and argue that not only were they polytheistic (or at the very least they acknowledged other gods even if one was considered foremost) until the time of Isaiah, but that even Yahweh had a female counterpart. Working through the centuries down to the time of Jesus, the book argues that despite the best efforts of the monotheists, the figure of the Sacred ...more
Lisa Davison
Sep 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book provides an accessible resource for those seeking information about the sacred feminine. For millennia, humans worshipped both female and male deities. This was especially true for agriculturally-based civilizations, as their deities represented the reproductive process of crops, animals, and humans. The authors have done good research and skillfully lift-up the many female deities that have sustained humanity throughout the ages. For those who want to further study this important ...more
Annarella
Oct 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
An interesting and engrossing book about the sacred feminine. It's well researched and well written.
I learned a lot and I think I'd like to read other books by this author.
Recommended!!
Many thanks to the publisher and Netgalley for this ARC, all opinions are mine.
Heather Bennett
Oct 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
When God Had a Wide is a in depth book that is well researched and fascinating. It is well written and very interesting. If you are interested in religious studies than this is a good book for you.
Justin
Dec 31, 2019
Kimberly
Dec 26, 2019
Yesenia Berk
rated it did not like it
Jan 15, 2020
Oct 28, 2019
Ashley
Kaleidoscope Eyes
Nov 01, 2019

• Ninth House (Alex Stern, #1)
  • Berezina
  • The Vanishing Season (Ellery Hathaway, #1)
  • The Way of the Rose: The Radical Path of the Divine Feminine Hidden in the Rosary
  • When Bad Things Happen to Good People
  • Can We Save the Catholic Church?
  • Raising Animals for Fiber
  • Ambiguity Machines and Other Stories
  • Spy
  • Christmas Shopaholic
  • The Modern Witchcraft Book of Tarot: Your Complete Guide to Understanding the Tarot
  • Witch: Unleashed. Untamed. Unapologetic.
  • Antigonick
  • Dear Edward
  • Verso Samarcanda: la lunga marcia II
  • The Janes (Alice Vega #2)
  • The Circle (A Grand & Batchelor Victorian Mystery, #2)
  • Psycho-Cybernetics, Updated and Expanded