Start by marking “The Uncaging” as Want to Read:
The Uncaging

The Uncaging

When five year old Shelley Robins vanishes from her home in the middle of the night, her mother is charged with murder and taken to prison. Six years later, when Shelley reappears unharmed, the whole town must navigate the strange behavior of the young girl, the wrongful imprisonment of a mother, and the fear that the kidnapper is striking again. Shelley's devoted older si ...more
Published March 2nd 2019

To ask other readers questions about The Uncaging, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Uncaging

Start your review of The Uncaging
Wiseask
Nov 04, 2020 rated it really liked it
The Uncaging is a debut novel by Meridee Jo that too many reviewers have spoiled by revealing too much. I will not repeat their bad manners and lack of discretion.

I can say that a five year old girl was presumed murdered by her mother, who confessed without remembering having committed the crime, and even though the child’s body was never discovered, she was in the sixth year of her prison sentence when one shocking day her daughter, now age 11, walks back into town healthy and unharmed and eag
Kim
Dec 03, 2019 rated it did not like it
Simply Ridicu!ous/Don't waste Your Time

Irritated! Begins with alcoholic mom Mallorys POV, then shifts to oldest daughter Sasha,then to no one. Never ever never get a hint Sasha possesses intellect and creative thinking. Get hints of Phil being creepy, but not a serial paedophile rapist. Investigated and no one ever told anyone. Get told explicitly more than once Sasha and Casey's bio dad was deadbeat gambler who cared for no one. Author broke all the rules of character, place, timing, plausabili
Mille Maja
Jan 31, 2020 rated it really liked it
Well written. The plot twist was a little bit thin. But I was entertained and it was written well with a good understanding of human interaction.
Linda
Oct 26, 2019 rated it liked it
Good Read

Well written whodunit that became predictable too soon. Not all the ends were tied at the end. I liked the concept of the plot and the author's descriptions.

Thank you, Ms. Jo, for a good read.
Sharye Hardesty
Oct 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A real plot twister

I could see the tragedy coming but honestly did not envision the ending. Superbly crafted story. Realistic ending. Not a fairy tale.
Vivian
Nov 13, 2019 rated it it was ok
It started out well then slowly plummeted. The momentum dropped.

Sasha wasn’t very close to her mother. Actually, she pretty much wrote off both of her parents. Her father for walking out when Sasha and her sister Casey were little and her mother for being preoccupied in herself; drinking and sleeping with anyone who paid her any attention. Until the morning her mother called her hysterical. Her half-sister Shelley, only 5 years old, was gone. Only some blood left behind. Her mother, Mallory, wa
hipposelect
Nov 03, 2019 rated it it was ok
An utterly fascinating premise, that of a 5-year-old girl who is kidnapped and returned unharmed 6 years later and in perfect health. I was very interested, but as I read along I realized that this story was just dragging too long, and I found myself skipping ahead. I think it would been a much better story if it were shorter, but I just got so tired of the same emotional beatings page after page and when it was finally all over, I just breathed a sigh of relief and went on to the next book. Kin ...more
Kimberly Hicks
Nov 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Mature Readers
Recommended to Kimberly by: BookBub
Shelves: read-on-kindle
What a new twist on an old subject. The reader is given a ring-size seat into the arena of deep dark secrets with shady characters and unbelievable plotting. We begin following the journey of three sisters, Sasha, Casey and Shelley. Shelly is the five-year old who, unfortunately, has to be raised by a mother who has had her fair share of bad men and poor decisions. Her worse decision is the all mighty bottle. Mallory can’t seem to get enough of the joy juice. Depending on how much she’s drank on ...more
Leigh
Nov 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Lydia Cox
Apr 03, 2020 rated it did not like it
"Somewhere within her, among the weeds of her disgust, sprouted a tiny seed of love. This is the seed she would choose to water over the years...it would continue to grow and flower, an emblem of their perennial relationship, returning after the years of drought." If you like this kind of writing, you are in luck, because not only is this book full of such gag-worthy writing, but most of the books available on Kindle for free are as well! If you prefer strong plot lines, relatable characters, an ...more
Julia Walker
May 06, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This is definitely a page gripping, can’t put it down, fascinating story. The phrase “Oh the tangled web we weave…” certainly comes to mind. The story is wonderfully woven together and the ending will not only shock you but leave you struggling with feelings of awe and horror.

The book is about a family of four women. Mallory, the Mom, is an alcoholic who needs not only to be the center of attention but for men to make it clear that they want her. Sasha is the oldest daughter, who has made a life
Diana Hockley
May 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
What an engaging first novel! Congratulations to the author for writing an astonishing first book.

I have read many "children disappearing" novels, but Ms Jo managed to use this scenario to write a unique twist on a "common" set of circumstances.

The characters were engaging, though some unlikeable, the plot well written with few red herrings to confuse the reader. However, this reader certainly was confused, but ultimately satisfied and actually, overjoyed by the ending. The main character, Sasha
Norma
Nov 20, 2019 rated it liked it
This one had great promise. Five-year old Shelley disappears from her dysfunctional home with a great flourish, a splash of blood, and lots of questions. Did her alcoholic mother actually cause her harm? As she confesses that she must have done it, she is charged with murder and incarcerated. Six years later Shelley reappears unharmed and refusing to speak of her past until she speaks to her mother. Other young girls disappear but with the mother still in prison, the mystery deepens. An interest ...more
Sabrina Sellers
Mar 30, 2020 rated it liked it
Elaine Johnson
Dec 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Greatest book I have read for a long time!!!! This story has set many, many, many captives free. Thanks to the author who feels the true pain of sexual abused children. I myself was a victim, but now I'm the Victor!!! Thank you for the truth!!

I'm the victim of childhood sexual abuse and fought for years to be heard. Even as it was discovered, I was labeled as a liar. When violence took control, then everyone understood. I applaud you for the understanding from a victim's point of view.
Elke Vekeman
Jun 13, 2020 rated it really liked it
I got this book for free through from Amazon through mail some time ago and on June 7th decided to finally try it.

Gosh, what a pearl this was!

The cover just says the following:: A five-year old girl who vanished from small-town Grady six years ago, suddenly appears back in town, unharmed, asking to see her mother.

I'm not good at making book summeries in order to give my view on it, only that the surprise is mostly in the tail, just like here. And gosh, what a surprise that was!

I'm so glad I d
Karen
May 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
Justice

This is the first book I've read by this author and I found it to be a good standalone mystery. The narrative is told in third person, is dry and matter of fact. The characters are described but never fully revealed. Setting descriptions are sparse. And the ending was a surprise. It's a tragic tale and a sad commentary on the ease of access to children by those who prey.
tina huddleson
Oct 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Couldn't put this book down

This book covers many emotions, but I think the most shocking emotion I had after reading this book was one of deep relief and happiness.
A must read if you have children or if you have ever been abused.
This is a book I will remember for quite a long time.
Janet Reaves
Jan 19, 2020 rated it it was amazing
OMG

I just finished this story & I don’t know what to say without giving away the plot. It was difficult reading from the beginning& at the end I could see why. This is a subject that needs more illumination on. More stories about. Lives continue to be ruined, secrets kept hidden.
Vicky
Jan 22, 2020 rated it really liked it
My first book to read by the author. It was a very interesting book which held my interest to the very end. There definitely was intrigue. I had no idea who the kidnapper was. Then the missing girl reappears after 6 years. She doesn’t talk then talks and seems happy in her captive environment???? The ending surprised me! Enjoyed this book! Easy reading.
Cheryl Anglebrandt
May 30, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Must read book

This book was a page turner. You do not realize what goes on in someone’s life behind closed doors. This book told a story about a family. You got a glimpse of what each family member was going through and their thoughts.
I would recommend that others read this book.
Steph Weidner
Apr 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book captures your attention from the start. I love the character development and layers that make up each chapter. I can usually guess a storyline but this one kept me on my toes. Would love to read more from this author!
Emily Clark
May 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Insightful

I was pulled into the story from the first page. The characters were well developed and believable. The story was creatively told. Sadly, many will identify with the emotions. Worth the read.
Mara Vernon
Jul 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A gripping story, engaging from the first page to the last. Characters are well developed and uncertainty keeps you guessing throughout. A well written, thoughtful story that leaves you looking back and wondering how you missed all the signs.
Patricia
Oct 22, 2019 rated it did not like it
What a chore to read

I would have given 1/2 a star of that was an option. I found this book an absolute drudge to read. It was not a good read and totally ridiculous. Yes child abuse is horrendous but so were the " so called actions " of these characters.
Lisa
Oct 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
3 1/2 stars. Most of the book was really intriguing but towards the end I figured it out. I was really into it until I figured it out. I’m quite disappointed with the ending. Overall it’s a pretty dumb plot, in my opinion.
C P
Oct 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
4.5 well written, difficult topic

Hard to write review without giving too much away of plot. When the book.slower about halfway, I almost stopped reading. However author tied it all together in the end.
Alice Feldman
Oct 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I don't give 5 stars lightly.

Enthralling and exciting this book keeps you reading way past midnight.
I found it hard to put down and love the way the author resolved the story.
A totally different take on a mystery.
Weiping Yin
Nov 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
True Creativity of Moving Story

Black or white, Right or wrong, Evil or villain, Rule abiding or rebellion, Miserable or happiness, are there really such things? It is a story that is real, moving and unforgettable.
E.Peevie
Nov 02, 2019 rated it liked it
Story kept me reading but

Writing style kept me annoyed: lots of telling instead of showing; awkward and clunky descriptions; cliches. First half better than second. Inconsistent character development, but I did want to know what happened and why.

• Dark Secrets (A Cooper & Quinn Mystery, #3)
  • The Gilded Sanctum
  • Sins of the Child
  • Florida Son (Rip Lane, #2)
  • White Oaks
  • The Way She Lied (Peacock & Rayburn, #4)
  • Too Cute To Kill (Jake & Emma Mysteries #1)
  • Her Hidden Past (Rosemary Run, #2)
  • Lethal Incision (Dr. Zora Smyth Medical Thriller #2)
  • Ring Around the Rosie (Olivia Thompson #1)
  • Stolen Son
  • The Body Market (Leine Basso Thriller #4)
  • Wrath of the Sister
  • All the Dying Children
  • The Mind's Eye
  • The Sleepwalkers (Gordon Pope Thrillers, #1)
  • Russia Girl (A Natalia Nicolaeva Thriller #1)