Start by marking “Potions Are for Pushovers” as Want to Read:
Potions Are for Pushovers

Potions Are for Pushovers

(Eleanor Wilde Mystery #2)

It may have been a ghost that led Eleanor Wilde to set up shop in a quaint English village. But now that she’s established herself as the town witch, Ellie’s contentedly casting spells on anyone desperate enough—or gullible enough—to request her mysterious potions…

Selling mystical elixirs and tantalizing tonics is a pretty good way for a fake medium to earn a living.
Published November 26th 2019 by Kensington

To ask other readers questions about Potions Are for Pushovers, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Potions Are for Pushovers

LORI CASWELL
Nov 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-2019
Dollycas’s Thoughts

Werewolves aren’t my thing at all, in fact I have turned down books for review as soon as I saw them mentioned in the synopsis or stopped reading books where they have appeared unannounced but after reading the first book in this series Seances Are For Suckers and loving it I trusted author Tamara Berry to keep things cozy and intriguing without ruffling my feathers. I can report that while I did learn some werewolf lore I was right.

Eleanor Wilde has set up her business in a
Penny
Nov 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
I had read the first book in this series, and I was ready to read the next. Eleanor is an interesting character in that she is not really a believer in the paranormal but makes her living pretending to, and, to top it off, she hears her dead sister’s ghost. As with the first book, this one is very well-written, has intriguing characters, and an engrossing plot. I love how it seems there is a paranormal element to the story, but the end is very different and ties into the mystery. The only thing ...more
Patty
Nov 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Potions Are for Pushovers by Tamara Berry is the 2nd book in Eleanor Wilde Mystery series, and a unique book that I really enjoyed. I loved this book as much as her first book, Séances are for Suckers.
Eleanor Wilde moved to England, hired by a rich English man Nicholas Hartford III, to get rid of the ghosts in his family's England estate. Nicholas knows she is a fake, but wanted his mother and sister convinced. Now Ellie has established herself as the town witch making potions. When someone in
Karen Hollins-Stallman
Nov 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
Potions are Pushovers is the 2nd instalment in the An Eleanor Wilde Mystery series by Tamara Berry. I was able to read as a stand-alone easily but recommend you read Seances Are for Suckers first.

Selling mystical elixirs and
The Cozy Review
Nov 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
Series: An Eleanor Wilde Mystery - Book 2
Author: Tamara Berry
Genre: Cozy Mystery/Paranormal
Publisher: Kensington Books
Page Count: 288

New from Kensington Books comes the second book in the “An Eleanor Wilde Mystery” paranormal cozy series, Potions Are for Pushovers by Tamara Berry. This is a book readers won’t want to put down.

The first book in this new paranormal cozy series was a strong debut, exciting and original, the second one even more. Eleanor is a fake physic who has moved to a remote
FMSWarrior
Oct 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Madame Eleanor is trying to build her life in an English village. Ring the town witch makes things interesting for her, but she truly wants to be accepted for herself. When a local woman is murdered, Ellie finds herself doing her best to help solve the murder, which leads her to discover missing animals and what appears to be a werewolf loose in the village.

As Ellie sleuths, her beloved Nicholas does his best to help her, though she is so self reliant it’s hard for her to accept his help.
Tari
Dec 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: netgalley
A well written and plotted mystery with characters that I grew to like. I hadn't gotten around to reading the first one first, but this worked well enough as a stand alone. I really got a kick out of Lenore and Rachel being Ellie's apprentices. I hadn't guessed the killer but it made total sense at the reveal. Ellie's cat Beast had gone missing, and while she feared the worst, what really happened had been something adorable which I won't reveal.

The only drawback for me with this book was that
Valerie
Nov 03, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It was an interesting book. It's a bit different in the characters, professions and location of the usual cozy mysteries. I enjoyed it. I did find that it was slow in spots. I liked the idea that the apprentices were investigating werewolves and the main suspect certainly seemed to fit that category. I was very surprised by who the bad guy was as he didn't really appear much in the rest of the book. I'd like to see the relationship between Eleanor and Nicholas develop a bit faster. ...more
Kristin
Nov 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This was a fun book. Very different kind of series, but really interesting and really fun read. Very surprising twist at the end. Loved it!
Vicky
Nov 14, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the second in a series. In this one, Ellie has moved to a small village in Sussex, England and taken up residence in a cottage near the castle where her love interest, Nicholas, lives. Supporting herself as a witch, she’s not very popular in public, but many come to her back door for one of her potions. Lenora, the twelve-year-old daughter of the local schoolmaster and his doctor wife, signs up to shadow Ellie for a school project, though her mother objects to her being with a witch. ...more
Marsha Keeper Bookshelf
Reviewed at Keeper Bookshelf

POTIONS ARE FOR PUSHOVERS is fast-paced, full of laugh-out-loud moments with twists and surprises that kept me flipping pages on my Kindle until the ending. I loved seeing Ellie begin to settle in to the village, even if she’s not a believer in ghosts or potions or witchcraft (or so she says) she’ll definitely take a few more steps toward believing in this addition to the Eleanor Wilde Mystery series. There are obvious suspects, those “hmm, I wonder if” suspects and
Susan
Nov 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
Some mysteries suffer from sophomore slump but not this series. The second book is just as much fun as the first, Seances are for Suckers. In the first book, Ellie takes a case for big bucks (she has major debts to deal with) and travels to England, to the county of Sussex. One thing leads to another and she finds herself with a boyfriend who is rich and is okay with the fact that she is a con artist. Hey, it's a living and nobody gets hurt. Instead of returning to the States, Ellie settles down ...more
Sandra
Nov 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Potions Are for Pushovers by Tamara Berry is the second book in Eleanor Wilde Mystery series but can be read as a standalone.

Having read the first book in this series I approached this one with both excitement and trepidation. Excitement, because I thought that the first book was one of the best book of this genre that I have ever read and I was worried that I might not like the second installment as much. I needn't have worried. It was just as good.

After the death of her sister, Ellie is free
Ashley Cate
Dec 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Potions are for Pushovers is the second book in the Eleanor Wilde mystery series by author Tamara Berry. I LOVED the first book in the series, Seances are for Suckers, and have been eagerly awaiting the new book for the past year. It was definitely worth the wait. We get to see Ellie settling into her new role as village witch and getting settled into her new life. The book opens up with a woman from the village collapsing at a festival planning party shortly after complaining that Ellie was ...more
Janet
Nov 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
4.5 Stars
It may have been a ghost that led Eleanor Wilde to set up shop in a quaint English village. But now that she’s established herself as the town witch, Ellie’s contentedly casting spells on anyone desperate enough—or gullible enough—to request her mysterious potions.
When villager turns up dead by poisoning becomes the prime suspect. Her only recourse is to find the culprit who did do away with Sarah Blackthorne who was a mean old battle-axe.
It’s enough of a mystery to make Ellie hang up
Mary
Nov 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is the 2nd installment in the Eleanor Wilde Mystery series. Eleanor has set up shop in a quaint English village and is the town witch (even if she really has no skill and is faking everything). She is willing to cast spells, whip up potions etc.. whatever the customer wants. When a woman Sarah Blackthorne murdered by poison (wolfsbane), Ellie becomes the prime suspect. She is being shadowed the Lenora, the 12 year old daughter of the local schoolmaster and she is interested in the ...more
Cozy Cat Reviews
Nov 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Potions Are for Pushovers is the 2nd in the "Eleanor Wilde Mystery" series by cozy author Tamara Berry .
Thank you for the ARC . My review opinions are my own.

Our protagonist Eleanor (Ellie) has set up shop as a witch . However she has a secret that she she is not truly magical and is selling fake potions and spells to the town. She is also acting as a medium and no one knows she is a fake. Her business is steady and growing and she even hired 2 new people to work under her learning the craft.
Becky
Dec 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is a fun cozy mystery and I can't wait to read the first book in the series.

"Potions Are for Pushovers" focuses on fake witch Ellie Wilde. She sells potions for love, protection, and other spells to make ends meet, but she doesn't believe it any more than she did when she was a fake psychic. When a local resident dies after Ellie gives an elixir, she's the prime suspect. But the dead woman is the least liked person in town, and virtually everyone had a reason to kill her.

Meanwhile, Ellie
Annarella
This is becoming one of my favorite series as I love the humour and originality of the plot.
This is the second instalment and it was a lot of fun to read and I laughed out loud more than once.
I think that the writer had a lot of fun in writing it and you can feel it as you read.
The plot is full of twists and turns and the solid mystery kept me guessing till the end.
The quirky and funny characters are well written and likeable, Eleanor is a fantastic character and her dabbling in occult is always
Kathleen Gray
Nov 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Okay- Ellie is really a con artist. But she's a con artist with a big heart who has relocated to the UK and is now selling potions. All is going well with her business and with her love life with Nicholas and then, Sarah Blackthorne is murdered with poison! Sarah was always an unpleasant person but really? Unfortunately, Ellie is a prime suspect so she needs to figure out who's really responsible. Oh, and if there's a werewolf in the area! People's pets, including Beast the cat, are missing. ...more
Margaret
Nov 15, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have not read Tamara Berry before, but I really did enjoy this cozy mystery. The main character, Ellie, is living on the Castle Hartford grounds. Her love interest is Nicholas Hartford. She pretends to be a witch and is helping some of the villagers with magic potions. When the most hated person in the village dies, everyone blames Ellie. She needs to clear her names as her only income is from selling her potions. She doesn't realize until the end of the book how many of the villagers really ...more
Trisha
Nov 26, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a nice cozy mystery. Not too gory, not too sappy in the romance department... Ellie, the resident expat and witchy psychic of a small English village is accused of being a poisoner with the victim’s own last breath. The mystery deepens when werewolves somehow get into the mix. The story has some cheesy elements, namely the sister speaking to Ellie from “the great beyond.” Ellie also didn’t seem like a well fleshed-our character. She seemed like she could barely take care of herself and ...more
Cindy
Nov 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
The perfect cozy mystery for those looking for humor, whimsy and a healthy dose of sarcasm. We follow Ellie as she settle's into a small English town and sets up her witch's apothecary shop. Her potions maybe a lot of flavored water and good intentions, but the money she gets for them is real, lol.
Her status as the local witch takes a turn for the worse when one of the townsfolk ends up dead from poison and eyes begin to turn to her. Once again, she has to try and solve a murder, this time to
Lisa Elizabeth
This is a really fun cozy, with a lot of quirky characters and village lore. I loved the addition of the apprenticeship and werewolf hunting. Toss in the murdered and beloved pig, the missing cat and the mysterious book of shadows, and you get a great, entertaining read.

I received a copy of this book from the publisher via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review. I was not paid for this review.
Sandra
Nov 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I’ve got a new series to add to my favorite list. Eleanor Wilde is an untamed, unpredictable main character who lives by her own rules. A new resident of a small English town, Ellie has followed the man of her dreams to begin life anew. As a witch not a ghost buster. Action packed, unpredictable, and tongue in cheek, these tales move quickly and are filled with laugh out loud moments. I’m already sorry I finished this saga and yearn for the next one.
Lisa Morin
Oct 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Madam Eleanor is still mixing potions and exlixers, but when a village curmudgeon is poisoned, Ellie must do what she can to clear herself if any wrongdoing.
Ellie is a fun, colorful character who I've enjoyed getting to know.
Lenora and Rachel eagerly become Madam Eleanor's apprentices, hoping to conjure up a few potions of their own.
I became deeply engrossed in this story and hated when it ended.
I'm looking forward to see what else is brewing for Madam Eleanor and her beau Nicholas.
Book
Nov 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: cozy-mystery
After deciding to settle in small English village, Eleanor Wilde finds establishing herself as a resident somewhat challenging. Ellie brews elixirs to sell and provides spells for villagers willing to pay, fueling speculation that she is a witch or psychic, when she is simply faking it.

In short order, Ellie gets caught up in the murder of Sarah Blackthorne, poisoned by tea laced with aconite. Distractions prove plentiful: Lenora, the 12 year-old daughter of the local school master, Ian McDougal,
Christine
Nov 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
Would-be town witch Eleanor Wilde has been happily mixing up her potions, tantalizing elixirs and tonics for the gullible residents of her small English town. In Potions are for Pushovers by Tamara Berry, things get serious when the town most hated woman is poisoned. A very entertaining and funny book. Looking forward to more from this pseudo witch.
Rima Aiello
Nov 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I feel like the wait for this book was so long, but once I got into it, the wait was completely worth it. Filled with humor, well rounded characters, and a mystery that does not give away a thing. The author does a great job weaving a magical tale that wisps around and traps the reader until they are finished. Such a great read and a wonderful series.

• Cobblered to Death (Courtney Archer #1)
  • Apple Cider Slaying (A Cider Shop Mystery #1)
  • Verse and Vengeance (A Magical Bookshop Mystery #4)
  • Three Widows and a Corpse (A Food Blogger Mystery Book 3)
  • Sealed Off (A Maine Clambake Mystery, #8)
  • An Ale of Two Cities (Literary Pub Mystery #2)
  • A Murderous Tangle (Seaside Knitters Society)
  • Coached to Death (The Life Coach Mysteries #1)
  • Memories and Murder (Tourist Trap Mysteries #10)
  • Can't Judge a Book By Its Murder (Main Street Book Club Mysteries #1)
  • Bookmarked for Murder (Mystery Bookshop, #5)
  • There's A Murder Afoot (Sherlock Holmes Bookshop Mystery #5)
  • Murder with Cherry Tarts (Daisy's Tea Garden Mystery #4)
  • Murder Can Mess Up Your Masterpiece (A Haunted Craft Fair Mystery #1)
  • A Spell for Trouble (An Enchanted Bay Mystery #1)
  • Dead in Dublin (The Dublin Driver Mysteries #1)
  • In Cold Chamomile (A Tea and Read Mystery #3)
  • Sell Low, Sweet Harriet
Tamara Berry is a part-time author and part-time freelance copywriter/editor. She has a B.A. degree in English Literature from Eastern Washington University. In addition to books, she has mad love for all things TV, movies, and pop culture.

Tamara also writes romance novels as Tamara Morgan and Lucy Gilmore. Visit her at www.tamaraberry.com to learn more.

Eleanor Wilde Mystery (2 books)
  • Séances are for Suckers (Eleanor Wilde Mystery #1)