Start by marking “The M Word” as Want to Read:
The M Word

The M Word

Moya. The M Word. Whisper it. Conceal it. But please, never mention it...

Maggie Yates talks to her best friend Moya every day.

She tells her about Maggie's mum losing her job. She tells her that Mum's taken to not opening the curtains and crying in secret. And she tells her about how she plans to cheer Mum up - find her a fella with a bit of cash to splash.

Moya is with her
Published September 5th 2019 by Bloomsbury YA (first published 2019)

To ask other readers questions about The M Word, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The M Word

Start your review of The M Word
Kelly (Diva Booknerd)
Maggie has never had much, she isn't wealthy, her single mother yells at her at every opportunity and she's never snogged anyone. The one thing she's always had is Moya Burns, her best friend. While Moya lives a carefree life, she's not all that interested in school and prefers a good old snog and shag, she's always relied on Maggie. Until she doesn't. Now Moya talks to Maggie through a manky old bear, dishing out advice on finding her mum a bloke or to stop being a tosser.

Attending her counsell
Books by Kimi
2.75
This was not my cup of tea. It took me a while to get into the writing style because it's filled with slang and accent.. I totally get authors who try to make a story authentic by bringing in local slang and style but it's also just annoying to read when every page contains a bunch of gibberish words (to you).
The story does represent mental health
issues in a chaotic way that seems very real and it does have a "something" that made me want to know more - even when I wasn't enjoying the boo
Mridu  aka Storypals
Ugh other than the cover and the name of the book (M being my favourite alphabet of all) this book just couldn't hold my attention!

DNF. Too bad... I really wanted to love it as much as I loved the cover.
SanyuM
Dec 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
Interesting
Jenny (Bookbookowl)
Sep 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
Thank you so much to Bloomsbury Australia for providing me with a copy of The M Word, in exchange for an honest review.

Maggie is trying to cope after losing her best friend Moya. Her Mum is going through a rough time too and their financial situation is looking worse by the day. Maggie doesn’t want to share too much with her therapist, she just wants to talk to Moya, so she does.

With subjects such as grief, depression, self harm, anxiety and suicide woven deep into the story, The M Word was at
Aria
Oct 13, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Review can also be found at Snow White Hates Apples.

Thank you so much Pansing for sending me a copy of this in exchange for an honest review! The M Word by Brian Conaghan is available at all good bookstores.

A headache and half a heartbreak to read, The M Word by Brian Conaghan is a raw, cutting interpretation of what it’s like to have depression and live with someone with depression—all while coping with guilt and grief.

The language used to narrate this story is largely vulgar and angry. It
elaina
Sep 21, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2020-reads, reviewed
3.5/5

i won’t lie— it seriously took me a good while to get into this book. not to say it wasn’t interesting, i almost DNFed it but i’m glad i didn’t.

brian conaghan perfectly captures the stages of grief in this novel: how we try to hold on to whatever is left of someone who has left us, feeling an empty feeling, blaming ourselves for their death and wishing we’d done more to stop them before time ran out.

at first, i wasn’t the fondest of maggie. she’s not exactly a likeable person. however, i do
Margot Lissens
Nov 25, 2019 rated it did not like it
*1.5 stars*
Aoife
Feb 02, 2020 rated it it was amazing
legenbooksdary
Oct 02, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is an unforgettable story about grief, mental illness and taking all that into account to move on towards the future. To looking forward to what life has to offer for Maggie's next chapter of her life. Its filled with hopeful and uplifting messages that might just benefit the readers when they pick this book up.

Maggie was going through so much and it gets too overwhelming that she had to do something that she herself knows that she shouldn't do. She lost her best friend and I cannot imagin
Irene
Jul 12, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This book is written in the first person narrative style and Maggie is the narrator. She is in her late teens ending off her school years and moving into her field of choice that she will study at college.
At home it is Mum, her and Moya - a best friend...

Maggie is a typical loud, angry, confused, teen with a huge heart and loads of tenderness she battles to reveal. Circumstances have not been kind to Maggie, and in fact life and general is not kind to Maggie, or her mum, but as you journey with
Steph Hanlon
Aug 19, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: young-adult
TW : death, poverty, suicide, self harm

The M Word is an almost chaotic take on a teenage girl’s battle through poverty and grief. This is an uncomfortable read, though this is due to the realistic and disjointed storytelling which Conaghan does to express Maggie’s struggles with her mental health and the grief process.

At times, his use of dialect and slang can be off putting, making Maggie’s voice seem forced though this seems to lessen as the story goes on. The book appeared to be set in Glasgo
Barbara Band
Sep 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is not a comfortable read. Maggie Yates talks to her best friend every day, telling her about her new course at the art college, about her mum's depression, about the band she's just joined and the bass player she rather likes. Except that Moya is dead ... and Maggie can't get her out of her head. She blames herself for what happened, for letting Moya get involved with somebody who abused her, for not taking her seriously about the online trolling, for not being there when her friend needed ...more
Tahnaya
Sep 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
Wow. I just finished this book seconds ago and I’m speechless. Such sensitive topics of depression, anxiety and suicide are mentioned but portrayed in such a raw and real situation. It really gets you thinking about what your friends and family around you are possibly going through. We’ve all been through hard times but reaching out to those around you really is a big help and you should never be afraid to. Maggie is such a sassie little character but the further you get through the book, the mo ...more
Sharron Brown
Nov 03, 2019 rated it liked it
Tackles some tough issues with humour and charm. Lots of interesting musical references that would have the teenage me racing to explore them. And it’s always great to have a book set in Scotland. It’s well written and has hope, it’s a little too neatly tied up for me and I think deep down I wanted to know more about Moya. Overall, a good read!
nour
Dec 09, 2019 rated it liked it
watermelonreads
Nov 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A gut-wrenching read that made me feel so many things. From hate to anger to an uncontrollable sobbing mess. It was a literal roller coaster ride but I’m not regretting. This book deserves more than five stars. It has my entire heart. Thank you Brian Conaghan!
Barbara Mayers
Oct 28, 2019 rated it did not like it
Too crude for me.
Karla Brading
Jul 19, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Hard-hitting YA that left me breathless at times.
A.M.
17 year old Maggie is starting art school, battling through the grief of losing her friend, and looking after her depressed mom - all at the same time.

I'm not going to lie: I've got mixed feelings about this one.

I had strong pathos for Maggie and cared about her story. It reminded me of A Thousand Perfect Notes because it tackles tough issues such as grief, depression, and self-harm with a rawness that brought tears to my eyes. Maggie's mother is too wrapped up in her own issues to be there for
Sabrina (sabrinareads_)
The M Word tackles so many taboo topics like anxiety, stress disorder, clinical depression and also suicide. I truly appreciate that trigger warnings are stated at the cover of the book, saying it contains strong language and adult themes and it is not suitable for younger readers, to minimize harm. The story is so authentic and emotionally raw that sometimes I feel very uncomfortable reading it because it seems very intimate.

The main protagonist, Maggie Yates is truly a strong character. She is
Lieselot Mauroo
Mixed feelings about this one. I don't dislike this book, but don't quite like it either.
First, it gets pretty crude at times, which I normally have no problems with, but in this book it felt a bit forced upon the reader, as if the author did it merely for shock value instead of making it a true part of the story and character.
I like the story itself, but I'm not too fond of the execution. Mainly, I thought the writing to be rather amateuristisch and even somewhat childish at point, despite the
Jesse
Jul 20, 2020 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed it, however, some of the events and topics discussed were triggering for me. That being said, it is important for them to be talked about. And it opened a dialogue not usually brought about in works of fiction like this.
rory gilmore
slow to start but actually one of the best books i’ve read in a while. very well-written, very real. fun, even despite its incredibly heavy subject manner.
Merel Bryant
Dec 17, 2019
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Here Is the Beehive
  • The Places I've Cried in Public
  • And The Stars Were Burning Brightly (And The Stars Were Burning Brightly, #1)
  • Deeplight
  • Nothing Ever Happens Here
  • Heartstream
  • Blood Moon
  • Rose, Interrupted
Brian Conaghan was born in 1971. He was raised in the Scottish town of Coatbridge but now lives and works as a teacher in Dublin. He is the author of The Boy Who Made It Rain and has a Master of Letters in Creative Writing from the University of Glasgow.

His second novel When Mr Dog Bites was shortlisted for both the 2015 Carnegie Medal and the Children's Book Award Ireland, while his novel, The B

News & Interviews