Start by marking “No Greater Love (Shadows Over Whitman #1)” as Want to Read:
No Greater Love (Shadows Over Whitman #1)

No Greater Love

(Shadows Over Whitman #1)

She's looking for her birth mother. He's looking for a thief.
Will each find what they are searching for?

Paige McDonald, an avid book collector, discovers a forgotten Bible. When the Bible reveals that she was abandoned on the steps of a fire department, she begins a journey to search for her birth mother.

Hamilton Bryant, a Patrol Officer, has sworn off romance, reserving h
Kindle Edition
Published April 30th 2019 by Amazon KDP Direct (first published April 29th 2019)

To ask other readers questions about No Greater Love, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about No Greater Love

Start your review of No Greater Love (Shadows Over Whitman #1)
Abigail
This story was full of redemption and hope. This story was real, sure was it a little cliche at parts yes, but that didn't take away from the real struggles and situations these characters went through.

This book was filled with Christian elements that were basic truth. It was refreshing to read and it wasn't too preachy either. One thing I really appreciated about this book was the authenticity of sin in both a bad light but also in the light that God is forgiving and loving.

I really loved the
Marilyn
Jun 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Gina Holder has written a spellbinding story that will keep you up to see what is going to happen. Paige arrival in Whitman, Oregon was not her radar but she longer for her inner self to know the truth of who she was. Officer Hamilton Bryant was a focused career man to protect Whitman. Their paths crossed numerous times but not without some attraction. Their life’s goal did not match this attraction but an unusual increase of crimes in Whitman changed that. There are secondary characters that ha ...more
Debbie
Jul 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
"No Greater Love" by Gina Holder is a book that had me from the first sentence till to the last word. It is a story that involved unwed teen pregnancy and political gain and lies and adoption and robberies, and books and bookstores. But, I think the great story that was woven in-between the pages is that we can only get what our souls and hearts crave from Jesus.

This story has a few funny events that happened in the story such as the first time the two main characters meet, Paige is staring at a
Rebekah Morris
Jul 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
I picked this book up because a friend had enjoyed it and I was in the mood for something different.
Since this is a new to me author, I wasn’t sure what to expect. I was pleasantly surprised by how much I enjoyed it.

Paige’s struggles and feelings felt real and her confusion about God and what He was like made me want to help her. I really enjoyed the strong feeling of Christianity that was woven into the story. Real Christianity where people forgive and don’t bring up a past to hold ove
Katie
Jul 28, 2019 rated it liked it
So, overall, I felt like this book showed so much potential for a newer author, especially in conveying emotion as well as clearly portraying action in a way that makes the story seem more real. I really related to Paige and her book loving self. I liked how the book came from two sides to those that are first responders and are family members of them, and I felt she made their fears and lives really understandable to someone who hasn't experienced that before. I felt that the plot was steady pa ...more
Carolyn Bryant
Oct 19, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book!
Paige McDonald has vowed never to become involved with a first responder. Hamilton Bryant has vowed to avoid “romantic entanglements” because his job has “unfathomable risk”. Can they overcome their fears and “live the lives they are meant to live”—together? Can Kathleen Phillips risk her lifelong dreams by acknowledging the truth about her past?
This captivating story has it all: a suspenseful, intriguing plot that keeps you guessing; endearing, relatable characters who captu
Becca-Rae Weidel
Jul 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
No Greater Love was so much more than the back cover described. There were multiple threads to the story that weaved together impeccably to build the perfect masterpiece.

Paige is more than just a girl afraid of love. When she discovers that her past isn't what she'd always thought, she sets off on a journey in search of answers. Yet things aren't quite what they seem in the town of Whitman, and she appears to have arrived right in time for some mysterious criminal activity including threats to
Erin
Jul 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: celebrate-lit
My Thoughts on No Greater Love:
I love coffee. So much love for coffee. And old books, especially old books hold the key to my heart. Those were the first two reasons I picked up this book.

The cover is cute and drew me in. Plus I’m a sucker for any small bit of mystery. This book has mystery and love and old books and coffee. What could go wrong?!

This is the first book I picked up from this author and now I want to read the other book that you’ll find in the giveaway below. Also going to have to
Nicole
Jul 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Are you a fan of really good romantic suspense? Do you voraciously read novels by authors like Cara Putman and Rachel Dylan? If so, then I highly recommend you check out No Greater Love by Gina Holder. This story has it all: mystery, suspense, thievery, politics, family drama, and romance. No Greater Love gave me papercuts on my fingers I was turning pages so quickly, and I have dark circles under my eyes because I read well past my bedtime.

There is so much to like about this book, I’m not sure
Deana Dick
Jul 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is a new author to me and I'm glad I got to read her book. She has a knack for making her characters come alive with emotions that can be felt as you read the story. It was easy to relate to Paige and I loved how we see her wrestle with faith throughout the story. Paige goes to a little town in Oregon where she believes her birth mother is. I felt her anxiety and knew she wanted to have a happy ending.

Hamilton is the type of man that is easy to like. He works as a police officer and is mor
Erin Laramore
Oct 18, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a good romantic suspense novel about a girl who learns at age 25 that she'd been adopted and seeks to find her birth mother. With only a first name and a bookmark from a small town church 4 hours away, Paige takes a trip to fnd what she can about her past. After she shows up in town, crime dramatically increases and police question her involvement and her life is placed in danger. Can she stay out of trouble? I liked the characters in this novel - particularly the side characters Aunt H ...more
Amy
Jul 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I thoroughly enjoyed this novel by a new to me author. I was not sure what I would be getting myself into, the back cover gives a very brief synopsis, and the story is so much more than that. There is plenty of secrets in this novel and the little town of Whitman is the centerpiece.

Without giving too much away, Paige McDonald finds an old Bible that changes her life forever, here on earth and in eternity, and she decides to uncover these secrets while trying to find her place in a world where e
Mary
Jul 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
This story has so many strands, I’m amazed at how the author wove the suspenseful tale together. It was also interesting to me that it’s set in northeastern Oregon (my home state) in an area where relatives used to live. However, the fictional town of Whitman seems too small to have such a large police presence and a full-time mayor plus so much going on. But it does make for a good story. The characters were interesting, but there were so many I sometimes had trouble keeping track and they were ...more
Caitlyn Santi
Jul 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This was a new-to-me-author and as soon as I read the description I knew this book would be right up my alley, and it absolutely was! As soon as I read the first chapter I knew I would love this book! I immediately liked Paige and hated to stop reading because I had to know what would happen next in her story! No Greater Love is an absolutely awesome book, it has suspense, romance, and a soul-stirring faith journey that is a fabulous reminder of God's incredible, unconditional love for each one ...more
MaryAnn Bell
Jul 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
He said he’d never risk leaving a widow. She said she’d never love a man in uniform.

Paige McDonald collects antique literature and works at the largest bookstore in Portland, Oregon. When her grandfather, a firefighter, was killed, she vowed never to fall in love with a first responder. An old Bible leads to an unexpected discovery and disrupts everything she knows about herself, her family, and God. Her desire to know the truth sends her to the town of Whitman directly into the radar of Patrol
Vicky Sluiter
Jul 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
The second book by author Gina Holder, I really enjoyed it and now I need to read her first book.

A complex plot with well developed characters, No Greater Love held my interest through out. I did get a little confused by several statements that ended in a question mark but that would have been a proofreader mistake. And in the beginning Paige did a lot of tucking her hair behind her ear but hang in there. It’s an intriguing story and well worth overlooking the couple of minor details.

Of course b
Chloe Flanagan
Jul 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Paige McDonald’s quiet life implodes when she discovers a cryptic note in an old Bible that changes everything she thought she knew about herself and her family. Her resulting journey leads her to danger, possible romance, and much soul searching.

This story has a captivating mystery, relatable characters, and a robust faith theme. Readers won’t want to put the book down until each puzzling thread of the narrative is unraveled to its satisfying, but unexpected conclusion.

I recommend this book t
Betti
Jul 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
‘Don’t worry about the world coming to an end today. It is already tomorrow in Australia’
- Charles Schulz

Losing her grandfather in an accident, while he was fighting a fire, has left Paige with the feeling that loving anyone who works in service to others is asking for heartache. How could one think that putting their lives on the line for strangers was something they should consider? What about those left behind?

As a lover of rare, old books, she has the perfect job in Powell’s City of Books
Janice Sisemore
Jul 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019
No greater love

Paige finds out she was adopted. She found a bible with her mother name in it. So she decides to go to the town of Whitman to find her mother. Will she succeed?

While in town she meets Hamilton. He is a police officer. With his line of work she is scared to get too close to him. There has been a lot of robberies. Different ones want to blame Paige.

The birth mother finds out about Paige but she doesn’t want her to know. Will she ever tell her?

I enjoyed the book very much. I kept g
Patti Pierce
Jul 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Imagine growing up believing the man you lived with was your grandfather. Then imagine as an adult, you discover long after his death that you were actually an orphan he took in and adopted. This is exactly what happened to Paige McDonald. I found her interesting to read about from the very start of the story.

Hamilton Bryant exemplifies an individual devastated by the loss of a friend and fellow officer who emphatically refuses to marry. But when the paths of these two cross, everything they tho
A.D. Lawrence
Oct 08, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This book was one of my top reads of 2019! So much amazingness that I’m not sure where to start. The characters were well-crafted, and I easily got caught up in their stories. Loved it!
Jane
Jul 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
First responders and their spouses have relationship challenges that most of the rest of us don’t. Gina Holder explores these challenges while the characters learn to trust God for the number of their days. No Greater Love includes some tense moments which help the plot move along and make the book hard to put down at times and may keep you up at night wondering what is coming next. The ending may surprise some - I didn’t see it coming who the “boss” turned out to be in the crime spree. There ar ...more
Donna C
Jul 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
What I think you should know:
No Greater Love is a contemporary Christian fiction. It is the first book in the Shadows over Whitman Series. Paige McDonald head to Whitman, Oregon after receiving life changing news. Hamilton Bryant is a small town police man who is determined to stay single after losing his best friend. +* For me the cover was slightly misleading, I felt the picture looked for an older story not a contemporary one*

What touched me about this book:
The author, Gina Holder has writte
Gail Hollingsworth
Jul 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Paige McDonald got the shock of her life one day in her twenty fifth year. It led her from Portland, Oregon to a very small town, Whitman, in search of answers. Because of losing her firefighter grandfather in the line of duty she swore off never getting involved with a first responder. In Whitman she meets police officer Hamilton Bryant, who had made a vow to never marry and put a wife in the possible position of being a widow.
Nevertheless they become friends and get thrown together at every po
Ann
Oct 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is a wonderful read! It hooks you on the first page and doesn't let go. Paige and Hamilton's story will keep you on the edge of your seat until the very end. If you like inspirational romantic suspense, you will love this book.
Joan
Jul 15, 2019 rated it liked it
Holder is a new author for me and I was pleasantly surprised with the quality of this novel. The plot was complex but pretty easy to follow. The novel dealt with a number of interesting themes, such as adoption and the drive for political power. Holden developed her characters well although I was certain who the villain was early on. I liked the locations in northern Oregon. I liked antiquarian books being part of the plot. The romance was done pretty well and there is a bit of suspense at the e ...more
Abby Breuklander
Aug 24, 2020 rated it really liked it
Love this story! Learning to face our fears and live the life that God wants for us can be hard at times. This world can be a dark and scary place, but God knows that simply maintaining by going through the motions isn't really living at all. We just need to trust that He'll never leave us alone and is always walking right alongside us.
Kim
Jun 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
No Greater Love by Gina Holder is the first book in her Shadows over Whitman series. The story centers around Paige McDonald, Patrol Officer Hamilton Bryant and the city of Whitman, Oregon. When Paige finds a Bible in her Great Aunt’s attic, her world is turned upside down. She travels to Whitman to try to find out who she really is. As Paige and Hamilton get to know one another, sparks fly. Paige has vowed never to marry a first responder after her firefighter grandfather was killed on the job. ...more
Katie Lindsey
Sep 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
This was a wonderful book. It follows the story of Paige as she tries to discover her true identity. She decides to go to a small town in the hopes of finding her birth family. With a record following her, will she be able to start fresh?
I adored this book. I think the depth of the characters was beautifully written. Each character had a depth and a complexity. I loved the reminder of God's great love within each of the characters stories.
I liked that not everything was tied up in a perfect bow

• Fragments of Fear
  • Love and Other Mistakes
  • Wally's Misadventure
  • Murder in the City of Liberty (A Van Buren and DeLuca Mystery #2)
  • Hadassah, Queen Esther of Persia
  • Summer by the Tides
  • Yours Truly, Thomas
  • State of Lies
  • Lawfully Innocent
  • Forever, Lately: A Regency Time Travel Romance
  • Meghan’s Choice (Known by Heart)
  • Gators, Guts, & Glory: Adventures Along the Florida Trail (Hiking Adventures Book 2)
  • Odd Girl Out (Being Zoey #2)
  • ACTs420NOW: For We Cannot Stop Speaking About What We Have Seen and Heard
  • Meet the Misfits (Being Zoey #1)
  • The Freedom Challenge: 60 Days to Untie The Cords That Bind You
  • Rebel's Son (Changed Hearts Series Book 2)
  • Core 52: A Fifteen-Minute Daily Guide to Build Your Bible IQ in a Year

Shadows Over Whitman (2 books)
  • Forgiven Again (Shadows Over Whitman #2)