Start by marking “How I Met My Monster (I Need My Monster)” as Want to Read:
How I Met My Monster (I Need My Monster)

How I Met My Monster (I Need My Monster)

One night, when Ethan reaches under his bed for a toy truck, he finds this note instead: “Monsters! Meet here for final test.” Ethan is sure his parents are trying to trick him into staying under the covers, until he sees five colorful sets of eyes blinking at him from beneath the bed. Soon, a colorful parade of quirky, squeaky little monsters compete to become Ethan’s ...more
Published November 1st 2019 by Flashlight Press

To ask other readers questions about How I Met My Monster, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about How I Met My Monster

Start your review of How I Met My Monster (I Need My Monster)
Toni
Jul 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I am a huge fan of the Amanda Noll/Howard McWilliam Monster books, so I just needed to read the prequel instalment. And it didn't disappoint!

Here we find out how Ethan and his monster became friends. One evening he hears some creaking and a rumbling noise coming from under his bed. Then Ethan sees 5 pairs of monster eyes and overhears their conversation about Monster Rules. Now that the element of surprise is gone, the monsters get out and start looking around the room. Guess what, they aren't
La Coccinelle
Nov 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children
I think this is one of the best "monster under the bed" picture books that I've read. The illustrations are absolutely adorable, and the story is really cute. Aside from the tendency of the characters to laugh or giggle their speech (which is awkward), the writing is pretty strong, too.

Recommended to readers looking for monster books that aren't too scary. Fans of Monsters, Inc. will probably really enjoy this one!

Quotable moment:

Beth
How I Met My Monster is a fabulously illustrated children’s book with a delightful and engaging plot that will catch any child’s or child at heart’s attention.

Ethan overhears whispering below his bed about monster rules, only to discover 5 sets of eyes looking back at him. The monsters realize Ethan heard them, so they all come out to investigate Ethan’s room. They are cute and fun and can’t seem to get Ethan to bed…all but Ethan’s monster.

How I Met My Monster is a great story I can’t wait to
Theresa
Jun 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I received a copy of this book at Book Expo 2019. My 4 year old son adored it. The illustrations are fantastic and the interactions between the monsters are funny and engaging. A really fun story to read with your child!
Sara Alegria
Sep 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A very cute story. I love the art.
Rosalyn
Jun 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I received an ARC of this book and read it with my son who is on the autism spectrum. He LOVED IT and gave it a thumbs up. For those like his brother who are familiar with the series, this did not disappoint. It stayed true to form and Gabe was once again the star, watch those toes ...more
Nate Schwartz
May 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I grabbed a ark of this book at BEA. I thought it was a amazing children's story.
Marge Shaffer
May 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Thanks to Book Expo for this wonderful book. Love the characters.
Jamie
Love this book!
Mary
Oct 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
If you were following along last spring, or looked closely through my list of our favorite Halloween-y books, then you know our girls absolutely love the "Monster" series written by Amanda Noll and illustrated by Howard McWilliam! So, when Flashlight Press told me a third book is set to release 11/1, I knew we needed that one too! After all, How I Met My Monsteristhe story of the beginning of Gabe and Ethan's friendship -- we needed to know how it all started!
Noll and McWilliam partner again to
michele
Jun 06, 2019 rated it liked it
A bit different than what I expected and not as good as I thought it would be but still enjoyable.
Susan
Nov 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Great story and wonderful illustrations!
Tonja Drecker
Sep 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Monster fans are going to enjoy every page and maybe learn a little more about monsters along the way.

Ethan is looking for a toy and runs across a strange letter. Soon, five pairs of eyes are staring back at him from underneath his bed. These are monsters—furry, cute, long-tailed, and sweet. But these monsters are there for a reason. They need to learn the rules when it comes to kids and bedtimes. One of the monsters is sure to be perfect for Ethan, but it will take a bit of testing to find out
Kathryn (Nine Pages)
Review originally published on my blog, Nine Pages .

This is the third in a series of books but the first one that I have read thoroughly enough to write a review. The illustrations in this are so wonderfully saturated and detailed and fun. This book reminds me somewhat of Monsters, Inc with its concept of monsters learning the rules for haunting a child at night. These monsters don’t seek the child’s terror, though. Instead their goal is to keep the child in bed until they are asleep, an aid
Alicia Evans
Ethan gets roped into a world of monster training as a group of monsters try to pass their final tests to be official. We see each candidate try to scare Ethan according to their class's rules as they weed themselves out. It's a playful take on having a monster since Ethan is so involved. His facial expressions are often excited even though the text tells us that he's scared, so this book wouldn't work as well with a large group. There are also several mysteries that aren't explained here, and ...more
Valerie
Oct 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019-reads, childrens
What an adorable story. Which monster can keep this little boy in bed and keep him there until he's asleep? Only the right monster will do. There are attempts and there are failures but Gabe is the only one to get things right. Even after trucks, snacks and midnight escapes, Gabe finds a way to get him back in bed. He's definitely the right monster for this little one.

I loved the pictures the best. They are so bright and bold. From really green ooze to red eyes and fun stars, the images just
Kelley Mitchell
Oct 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I taught with an AWESOME music teacher named Robert Clark. He always read "The Little Old Woman Who Wasn't Afraid of Anything" to kindergarten every year. He would have the kids finish out with the chant, "I don't have to be afraid unless I want to!" It was such a great way of communicating the delicious joy of feeling scared in a safe environment. Mr. Clark would have switched up his story for this book. It communicates that same feeling.
Heather
Oct 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
This was an adorable prequel to “I Need My Monster.” My Storytime crew really got into it, especially when they could act like monsters themselves. May be a little long for 2 and under, but still enjoyable.
Tally, The Chatty Introvert
Was looking for some spooky books kids could read during activity time. The illustrations are top notch, story itself not quite my cup of tea (though a few of the kiddos might like it). Worth a shot.

And yes, I'm well aware I'm not the target audience.
Diana Gomez
Oct 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens-books
This book is delightful! I love Gabe.

It is also thoroughly quotable and beautifully illustrated. If I ever have kids it'll be a must for their bookshelves
Clarissa Carter
Nov 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely an adorable story! Guarantees a good read, lots of giggles, and will easily become a bedtime favorite.
Joshua Gross
Sep 06, 2019 rated it did not like it
This book is too wordy, too derivative (from the title to the concept of monster school we've seen this all before), and trying too hard to be cute. The illustrations are not my favorite either, altho they sometimes have some good detail.
Paula
Oct 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
Love this book! The art is wonderful and such a fun story,.,..very much like Mondters Inc in book form.
Lindsey
Sep 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
So precious! Amazing surprise when I was checking out at the bookstore to see this saga continue. LOVE IT!
Michelle Cable
Sep 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
So cute! It goes so well with the other two in the series.
Kelli German
Such a cute series of books :)
Femi
Dec 07, 2019 added it
it's a very good book
Chelly
Sep 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens-books
This book was a splurge purchase and it did not disappoint. The illustrations are wonderfully done. The story is adorable. All of my children enjoyed reading this one.
Pam
Oct 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Humorous introduction to share how Ethan first met his monster Gabe.
Debby
Dec 01, 2019 added it
Shelves: for-kids
Read this to my granddaughter; she loved it! It is a cute story and the illustrations are wonderful.

• Sulwe
  • Bruce's Big Storm
  • Sofia Valdez, Future Prez (Questioneers Picture Book, #4)
  • Who Wet My Pants?
  • The Tale of the Tiger Slippers
  • Cookies for Santa: The Story of How Santa's Favorite Cookie Saved Christmas
  • One Fox: A Counting Book Thriller
  • The Scarecrow
  • Enemy Pie (Reading Rainbow Book, Children’s Book about Kindness, Kids Books about Learning)
  • There's a Dragon in Your Book
  • A Stone Sat Still
  • Pete the Cat and the Perfect Pizza Party

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »