Start by marking “Aphrodite Made Me Do It” as Want to Read:
Aphrodite Made Me Do It

Aphrodite Made Me Do It

Bestselling and award-winning author Trista Mateer takes an imaginative approach to self-care in this new poetry and prose collection, Aphrodite Made Me Do It. In this empowering retelling, she uses the mythology of the goddess to weave a common thread through the past and present. By the end of this book, Aphrodite will make you believe in the possibility of your own ...more
Published October 1st 2019 by Central Avenue Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Aphrodite Made Me Do It, please sign up.
Val It's a book of poetry and art, so it doesn't really have a clear plot like many other books do. It's about the poet, and trauma and growth and gender…moreIt's a book of poetry and art, so it doesn't really have a clear plot like many other books do. It's about the poet, and trauma and growth and gender and relationships and self and forgiveness and many other things.(less)
Yes Please by Amy PoehlerReady Player One by Ernest ClineIncognito by David EaglemanAphrodite Made Me Do It by Trista MateerThere's Someone Inside Your House by Stephanie Perkins
Neon
71 books — 11 voters
The Hanged Man by K.D.  EdwardsThe Fever King by Victoria  LeeGideon the Ninth by Tamsyn MuirThe Priory of the Orange Tree by Samantha ShannonThe Luminous Dead by Caitlin  Starling
2019 Queer SFF
121 books — 145 voters

More lists with this book...

Start your review of Aphrodite Made Me Do It
Teodora
There are periods in my life when all I need is for poetry books like this to exist.
It is an authentic dialogue between the poet and Goddess Aphrodite on various themes like love and hate.

Thank you NetGalley and the publisher for providing me with an ARC! I appreciate it dearly!
Whitney Atkinson
This book felt like peering into someone's art journal it was so gorgeous. I loved the themes in it and I thought it was the perfect mix of melancholy yet helpful. I hope this book is the next milk & honey and i can't wait to buy a physical copy
destiny ♡⚔♡ [howling libraries]
To sing of love
is almost always
to sing of war.

This is easily one of the best poetry collections — maybe the best — I have ever read.

I am older than the poets
and I am older than the pens.
I am older than the stars
and the ocean I crawled out of.

It’s a story of assault, and survival, and having our stories rewritten without our consent. It’s worship and blasphemy, anger and heartache, capped off with tenderness and self-love and learning to cherish yourself no matter how many people in your
Kai
"My grief for her was like a circle. I always came around to missing her."

Aphrodite Made Me Do It is a feminist poetry collection about love, loss, insecurity, pain, and empowerment. It's also a retelling of Aphrodite's story. I read the NetGalley proof on my kindle which for some annoying reason always means that it messes up the lines and images, but I liked the design and style anyway. The poetry itself - especially the parts about rewriting Aphrodite's story far away from the male gaze - was
Boston
Aug 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 5-stars-2019
TW for rape, abuse, sexual assault, death, eating disorders, gore, blood, queerphobia

I don’t know what I expected when I started this collection. I don’t even quite know how to review it.

Never has a poetry collection made me feel things so deep in my soul that it feels like I’ve dived deeper than the ocean floor. This book wrapped me in a blanket, handed me a mug of hot coco and said “You’ll be okay. And here’s why”. It was gentle but it was fierce and it was strong and it was everything I
Lindsay (pawsomereads)
Beautiful poetry and even more beautiful art!
I loved the illustrations and pictures included in this book which I really think helped to highlight the lovely prose. I loved the perspective of these poems and writing style was great!
Kristy K
Jun 09, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arc, poetry
I don't know why I keep doing this to myself. I want to give young, new poets a chance and I am always looking for new talent, but every time I try them out, I end up disappointed. I think it's great that so many people can turn to writing to express their thoughts, heal from their pasts, and fight for social justices. But this new wave of poets and their poetry seem to read more like diary entries or Instagram posts than poems.

I received an advanced copy through Netgalley in return for an
Jessica C Writes
This was such an incredible collection of poetry and prose. I could not put it down once I started it. Trista’s words have the ability to make you feel so many emotions at once. This collection was extremely powerful and beautiful.

I know that I will be purchasing a final copy as soon as it comes out, but I am extremely grateful to have been given an advanced copy. I will now be shouting about its greatness to all of my friends- poetry loving or not.

If you yourself are not a big poetry reader,
Amber
Nov 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This was amazing! I loved this so much more than I could have possibly imagined.

Not only does this book give an alternate perspective on Aphrodite (much needed by the way) it was also about queer representation, love in its many forms and had beautiful imagery juxtaposed throughout. I was not expecting the story to be in prose and to have symbolic imagery. It was such a joy to read. I never felt bored and honestly wish there was more even though I felt like the ending was perfect. I really want
Lost in Book Land
Welcome Back,

Being totally 100% honest I have not read a lot of poetry collections of poetry in general. As a kid, I loved those Shel Silverstein books that were his big bind ups of his poetry works and they were fun silly poems. I would check them out of the library again and again. As I have gotten older I have had more of an interest in reading more poetry and have put the Princess Saves Herself in This One and others on my Amazon book wish list (meaning I will purchase them at some point).
Veronika
Jun 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Reading this book felt like I was talking to Aphrodite herself, about her life, loves, strength, and pains. I felt really close to her while reading. And then, I also found myself in this book. My worries and fears, but more importantly, my light, joy, and acceptance.

I really liked the format it was in, changing perspectives of the Goddess and the author, switching between written poems and poems in pictures.

After I finished this, I felt in peace with myself as I haven’t felt in a long time.

I
Kristin Ogarp
Aug 27, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
" *I didn't forget how to fight for myself.
I forgot that I could. * "

This was everything that I needed right now. This poetry collection explore a lot of different topics surrounding femininity and more. It dose it in a way were it's not only surface level. No, I felt that.

I really like the way Mateer expressed herself as well as choices of words and writing style. It is written in a pretty way but convey real, hurtful and dark topics which is my favorite combination.

I also really liked the
tappkalina
Nov 04, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: 3-star, lgbt-read
I don't like poetry, but parts of this were surprisingly deep. If it only had the Aphrodite parts, it could have been 5 stars, but the rest of the book just stuff you hear from everywhere.
Jessica | Booked J
As always, a copy of this book was provided by the publisher or author in exchange for my honest review. This does not effect my opinion in any way.

Blog | Twitter | Instagram | Review can be found here at Booked J.

Trista Mateer had me at mythology and self care when it came to Aphrodite Made Me Do It. I am so glad I live in an era of empowering prose such as Mateer. Truly. It goes without saying, I've been eagerly anticipating more from Mateer since I read her magnificent release Honeybee.
E.
Nov 25, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Review: Aphrodite Made Me Do It by Trista Mateer // Or, A Journey Through The Pain Of A Woman And A Goddess

,5 | Let Aphrodite into your soul

"They made me a goddess of love and then vilified me for loving freely, for kissing and fucking and strolling boldly down the streets of Cyprus."

gorgeous art accompanying the poems
a dialogue between a poet and a goddess
the pain shared by women
a journey to healing and self-love

Aphrodite made me do it didn’t feel like poetry to me — and I’m not saying it
sarah xoxo
Sep 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019-read, arcs
"it was my blood that made the roses red.
My pain shaped the whole world"

I tend to find it difficult to connect to poetry collections, but this one hit differently. Her writing was raw, and evoked strong emotions from me.
Told partly from the perspective of Aphrodite, it had a magical, godly feel to it that added another layer I haven't read before.

"I am older than the stars and the ocean I crawled out of"

Trista Mateer provides Aphrodite, and numerous other goddesses with the voices that were
•°• gabs •°•
leaving it unrated because i didn't love it but it's still a very important read
kippen (uponthepages)
This book was sent to me by the publisher but all opinions are my own. Thank you Central Avenue publishing!

I’ve never been a huge fan of modern poetry. I’ve read Rupi Kaur’s book and I’ve loved Amanda Lovelace’s books. I received Honeybee by Trista Mateer as a gift and have yet to read it but that might change. I had already heard such good things about Aphrodite Made Me Do It so I decided to snag it for review and WOW, that was a great read.

I read poetry quickly so I sat outside in the nice
˗ˏˋ aphrodite ˊˎ˗
thank you SO much to my dear friend, kerri (kerrithebookbelle), for getting me a personalized copy of my new favorite poetry book of all time.

so I’m not particularly familiar with what people call ~*emotions*~ but modern poetry always pulls at my dusty heartstrings. this is no different.

the basic theme of the collection is following our narrator who has endured abuse & lost the meaning of love as she finds the goddess aphrodite in her room. aphrodite then (as the feminist, lgbt icon she
Connie
Sep 07, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poetry
[I received a copy of this to review through Netgalley]

Aphrodite Made Me Do It is a collection written as interactions between the poet and Aphrodite, relating to love in all its forms and breaking down the misconceptions towards Aphrodite throughout history and how her image has been twisted and corrupted.

I found that the poetry told from Aphrodite's perspective was what I enjoyed most about this collection. I find the breakdown of Goddesses in particular fascinating in modern writing, to see
Katherine Stargazing
This is a really nice short collection of prose and poems about self-growth, self-acceptance, and healing.
The author resurrects Aphrodite, the Greek goddess of love, to tell the story of the wild goddess Aphrodite was before she was forced into obedience, her stories were re-written, and she became the embodiment of beauty and love.

"I wept at what became of my name."

The author uses Aphrodite's tales to show how women were always forced to morph, bury themselves, to become acceptable. She
Jade Melody
Rating:

Received an arc from NetGalley for an honest review.
Expected Release: October 1st 2019

**Trigger Warnings**
Body Image, Sexual Assault, Rape, Eating Disorders, Queer-phobia, Emotional Abuse, Physical Abuse, Gore, Blood, Death.

I love poetry. I discovered Trista Mateer by finding out about one of her other works, The Dogs I Have Kissed. I know little to nothing about what this about about but I know it's a poetry book and the title itself makes me want to read it. Then I found this
Thank you very much to Central Avenue Publishing for providing a copy of this collection of poetry in exchange for an honest review.

"I stand in awe of your survival."

Aphrodite Made Me Do It is such an amazing collection of poetry. Actually, I'd say this is probably my favourite collection of poetry, just behind Sappho's Fragments. I read it in one sitting and then I went back and read it all over again.

What I especially love is that the collection is framed around Aphrodite and the author
Anwen Hayward
Aug 01, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
ARC received in exchange for an honest review.

I really enjoyed and appreciated this collection. As soon as I realised it was an illustrated collection, I did begin to worry that it would be yet another Milk and Honey ripoff, but I'm glad that I was wrong. It was much, much more than that.

For me, possibly because I'm a Classicist, the poems about Aphrodite were by far the strongest. I would happily read a whole book of poetry from her point of view written by this author. Her voice was so
Alexa
I received an ARC through NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

This is definitely going on my list of favourite poetry collections, and it gets extra points for having a list of trigger warnings at the beginning. I really wish that was normalised for all books. (The list is: body image, sexual assault, rape, eating disorders, queerphobia, emotional abuse, physical abuse, gore, blood, death, fire.)

The world was full of men who called themselves heroes for crossing boundaries, claiming
Amber | cozynaturereads 🌿🍃
"Every scar is evidence of growth"

I have read this twice already and I am pretty sure those won't be the last. Aprodite Made Me Do It is a collection of verse and poems regarding tough topics such as body image, sexual assault, rape, eating disorders, physical abuse, gore, blood, death and fire. I really liked how the author put in what the specific trigger warnings are in the beginning of the book to prepare the reader for what they are getting into. I loved the various quotes and I
☄ ari
This review is based on an ARC I received from the publishers in exchange for an honest review.

I loved this poetry collection! The prose weaves together mythology and self discovery and empowerment in the most beautiful way -- intertwining Aphrodite's tales and the author's own experiences. My favourite passages were those about how men have forced a certain narrative for women in Greek mythos, and it being rewritten by Aphrodite's words.

"I was given agency only when my actions could make me
Bree Hill
Jun 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Trista Mateer is writing the poems we need and deserve in 2019.

'I'm still trying to figure out who I am alone so that I know who I am in front of other people.'

This collection is full of page upon page, passage after passage of poems to meditate on. Poems that give you the okay to put shame to rest and poems to remind you to forgive yourself.

I highlighted the entire 'abridged list of things to let go of if you want to be happy,' poem.

I haven't read a collection of hers yet that I didn't love and
amanda
I am deathless. I will have no eulogy. I will have no mourners.

There are ARCS that I read a few lines of and immediately add them to a list that I will purchase for myself when they become available to buy.

Aphrodite Made Me Do It is one of those books.

The poetry resonated inside me and at times made me cry. I read myself in between the words and saw my life shimmering in the lines.

This is a fast read but it’s an in depth one and you will remember it for a very long time. Usually I have to pick
Anniek
Sep 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a very thought-provoking, beautifully written and structured poetry collection. I hadn't read anything by the author before, but I have been wanting to read more poetry, and this turned out to be an excellent choice. There's a lot of heavy, emotional content, but a lot of empowering content as well.

There are two "main characters": the poet, writing about her own experience with love and life, and Aphrodite, talking about her own life and giving advice/having a conversation with the poet.

• To Drink Coffee with a Ghost (Things that Haunt, #2)
  • Masquerade
  • The Tea Dragon Festival
  • Goddess of The Hunt
  • The Truth About Magic
  • Nectar
Trista Mateer is a writer and poet from outside of Baltimore, who could be living anywhere by the time you read this. She believes in lipstick, late nights, and cheap air fare. Known for her eponymous blog, she is also the author of three collections of poetry. More of her work can be found at: tristamateer.com
“I wrote my own story
And still said all the wrong things.”
6 likes
“It is simple. You believe in the triumphs of love despite growing up in full view of its defeat because you are brave.” 3 likes