Start by marking “A Race Around the World: The True Story of Nellie Bly and Elizabeth Bisland” as Want to Read:
A Race Around the World: The True Story of Nellie Bly and Elizabeth Bisland

A Race Around the World: The True Story of Nellie Bly and Elizabeth Bisland

In 1889, New York reporter Nellie Bly—inspired by Jules Verne's Around the World in 80 Days—began a circumnavigation she hoped to complete in less time. Her trip was sponsored by her employer, The World. Just hours after her ship set out across the Atlantic, another New York publication put writer Elizabeth Bisland on a westbound train. Bisland was headed around the world ...more
Published October 1st 2019 by Albert Whitman Company

To ask other readers questions about A Race Around the World, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Race Around the World

Start your review of A Race Around the World: The True Story of Nellie Bly and Elizabeth Bisland
Linda Williams Jackson
Oct 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: family-reads
I read this book with my son, who is 13 and a budding illustrator. What I noticed was the great story. What he noticed was the great artwork. Together, they make a great book. This book would make an excellent addition to any home or school library. Highly recommended by a mom who loves to read.
Faith Hough
Picture books that will be enjoyed and adored by middle grade readers are worth their weight in gold. Non-fiction picture books doubly so.

Hear me out. How much do you remember from the history textbook you were assigned as a child? Or, to be more specific, how much do you remember that wasn't then reinforced by personal experience, family stories, or beautiful, wonderful books? For me, the answer is... pathetically little. I tolerated history as a kid, working my way through textbook after
Sandy Brehl
I've been waiting to read this longer than the actual trips took either of the heroines of this remarkable slice of history. I expected to read compelling and even thrilling narration about two women who defied the conventions and limits of their times to achieve success.
It doesn't surprise me that the remarkable NELLIE BLY was an inspiration for young Caroline Starr Rose, nor is it a surprise that she would want to write her own take on this epic, record-breaking journey around the world. Her
Betsy Crawford
Oct 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Like many others, I grew up learning the story of Nellie Bly and her journey around the world. What I NEVER knew was that another reporter was trying to beat her and nearly did. I am so grateful to Carolina Starr Rose for writing a children's picturebook that perfectly captures the time period and is beautifully illustrated by the talented Alexandra Bye. I was fascinated to learn about Bly and Bisland's obstacles and set-backs, but encouraged by their spunk and bravery at a time when women never ...more
Amy Makechnie
Nov 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I loved, loved this book! Perfect picture book both for boys and girls (and adults)! Nellie Bly and Elizabeth Bisland are extraordinary American women who I now long to know more about. The illustrations are beautiful and colorful. The pacing of this story was just right - I even found myself feeling breathless and "on the edge of me seat" as I read of which woman would "win" the race around the world - one going east and one going west! Who won? You'll just have to read it!
Theresa
Feb 25, 2020 rated it it was amazing
An interesting story about the race around the world in 1889 between Nellie Bly and Elizabeth Bisland. Each followed a similar route and beat the imaginary voyage of Phileas Fogg in Around the World in 80 Days. Although Nellie Bye's story is the better known, having completed his voyage in less time, Elizabeth Bisland's story is just as fascinatine. Both have a rightful place in history as the first people - man or woman - to circle the globe within days of each other.
Viviane Elbee
The kids and I enjoyed this longer non-fiction book about the race between two women journalists to beat the world record for around the world travel. Set in the late 1800's, this book mentions a variety of transportation methods used by the two women to get around the world, as well as describing some of the cities they stopped in during their tour of the world.
Definitely recommend for fans of longer non-fiction biographies, and for kids who love transportation & travel tales.
Beth Anderson
Oct 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A Race Around the World offers a great opportunity to use maps and explore geography, as well as learning what life was like in 1889. I’m always interested in intersecting lives. In this story, though the characters don’t know each other and took separate paths, they had a lot in common. The story is structured well and is a fascinating look into a different time!
KC
1889, reporter Nellie Bly desperately wanted to accomplish traveling around the world- alone- but it soon became an adventurous contest between she and another reporter, Elizabeth Bisland.
Karen
Jan 03, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ellie, jacob, mom
Books like this make it fun and interesting to learn about people from the past...krb 1/3/20
Dec 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Great book showcasing two amazing women. I loved the writing style and illustrations. Perfect for early elementary kids looking for books filled with fun and adventure.
Lisa D
Feb 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing
What an amazing true story of two remarkable women race around the world ! Loved it!
Emma
Nov 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
Fascinating story, well-written, loved the graphic-novel like illustrations.
Mallory Hargett
This book could be used to explore maps and geography for young adults.
Doris Raines
Nov 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
NICE BOOK.
Paul Delacruz
Feb 19, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Great book to show young girls you can accomplish anything.
Hannah J

• Finding Narnia: The Story of C. S. Lewis and His Brother
  • Not a Bean
  • Bird Count
  • I Want a Dog
  • Five Minutes: (That's a Lot of Time) (No, It's Not) (Yes, It Is)
  • The Phone Booth in Mr. Hirota's Garden
  • The Boring Book
  • Parker Looks Up: An Extraordinary Moment
  • Reading Beauty
  • Bad Dog
  • Becoming RBG: Ruth Bader Ginsburg's Journey to Justice
  • The Little Snowplow Wishes for Snow
Caroline Starr Rose is the author of MAY B. (2012), OVER IN THE WETLANDS (2015), and BLUE BIRDS (2015).